Is prayer a skill?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

JIP

Dec 7, 2007
(BearingChristaHammer;31630)
Guys while for the most part I do not like calling prayer a skill I think that it is important to understand that not all have the greatest faith to just call upon Jesus and believe in faith. You may, but not everyone has this to begin with. I certainly didn't. It is prudent to say that babes in Christ should seek to be efficient prayers and that those who are great in Christ can lead the way. Yes obviously the Holy Spirit is their as your Prayer Warrior and intercessor to the Father, but lets be honest there is nothing wrong with admitting that some peoples' prayers are more effective. I know for one that my prayers are extremely effective in spiritual combat, but that I have never had my prayers answered for God to heal somebody.Maybe this was never in God's will, but I have been given the power to always pray and protect against spiritual warfare for others and myself, but I had to learn this first. I had to walk in it a little while and being around others greater than myself truly helped. I have been around people that pray for healing and are very in line with God and their prayers are answered and believe me there is something about witnessing it and being there that gives strength I would otherwise not find on my own. It's safe to say that with faith this is all you need, but not all have that faith and I would rather them immerse themselves with learned and experienced Christians then struggle on their own when it doesn't have to be. I think what his pastor was saying may have some flaws if you really want to tear it all apart, but I think there is some truth to it as I can testify from my own walk.
Amazing BCH.Thanks for sharing.BeBlessedJIP

His By Grace

Dec 28, 2007
I heard a story told one time about an old farmer that always had a peaceful glow on his face and everyone knew him to be a man of prayer. They also knew him to be patient and that his prayers were answered. Two ol' boys decided to sneak by his window one night to hear what his prayers were like. He knelt by the side of his bed and simply said," Lord, thank you for giving me another day. And thank you for hearing me. Since I've been talking to you all day, I'm going to go to bed now. See ya in the mornin'." That's what prayer is. It's praying without ceasing (1 Thessalonians 5:17). It's a daily relationship with the Lord; a steady, loving walk through life.
smile.gif

JIP

Dec 7, 2007
(His By Grace;31725)
I heard a story told one time about an old farmer that always had a peaceful glow on his face and everyone knew him to be a man of prayer. They also knew him to be patient and that his prayers were answered. Two ol' boys decided to sneak by his window one night to hear what his prayers were like. He knelt by the side of his bed and simply said," Lord, thank you for giving me another day. And thank you for hearing me. Since I've been talking to you all day, I'm going to go to bed now. See ya in the mornin'." That's what prayer is. It's praying without ceasing (1 Thessalonians 5:17). It's a daily relationship with the Lord; a steady, loving walk through life.
smile.gif

Hello HBG, loved the last part of your last sentence, "a steady, loving walk through life."Be Blessed AlwaysJIP

His By Grace

Dec 28, 2007
I heard that story from my pastor a long time ago and I have never forgotten it. I hope it sticks with anyone who reads it too. Even a child can understand prayer explained like this:)

Jan 19, 2008
Talking to a friend is a type of skill. Most normal, socially adjusted people have to practice at this up to the age of six before they get good at it. I have three kids in this range, and it's really shown me how many adult skills we take for granted have to be practiced hard before competency arrives.Talking to a desired member of the opposite sex is a skill. Guys, how many of you felt like complete and utter idiots trying to have a conversation with that girl in middle or high school before you knew how not to be tongue-tied and carry on a semi-witful chat?Talking to any random stranger is a skill that some people never master. Some people are more afraid of talking to strangers than they are of death itself. Back in college, I saw courses offered in overcoming shyness, and "mastering the art of casual conversation". Extracurricular courses, but still.So why wouldn't talking to God constitute a skill? Sincerity, contrition, and righteousness are skills and qualities that have to be learned and practiced before you can get good at them. The way I see it, prayer is a good time to focus your life around practicing some of these, and showing God what you're capable of, so that you start showing the results even when you're not at prayer. It's also a good time to ask for help at improvement in these very qualities.

JIP

Dec 7, 2007
(PilgrimLostInTraffic;31788)
The way I see it, prayer is a good time to focus your life around practicing some of these, and showing God what you're capable of, so that you start showing the results even when you're not at prayer.
Sorry PLIT,I feel that prayer is not focusing on ones life. I know that it is focusing on Jesus. It is also not a platform to show your works, on the other hand it is one in which you surrender your 'self' and your ability to perform 'work' by your skills. You are to surrender it all to Him so that He can work on you as His Will so desires.Correct me if I am wrong PLIT.Be Blessed Always

Jan 19, 2008
(JIP;31797)
Sorry PLIT,I feel that prayer is not focusing on ones life. I know that it is focusing on Jesus. It is also not a platform to show your works, on the other hand it is one in which you surrender your 'self' and your ability to perform 'work' by your skills. You are to surrender it all to Him so that He can work on you as His Will so desires.Correct me if I am wrong PLIT.Be Blessed Always
No, I think I may have miscommunicated. The fundamental questions are, "How strong is my own faith, how strong can I make my own faith -- and how do I know how strong it is?"Not "works", but I think that faith itself can be hard work to someone to whom it does not come naturally -- like me. So God can tell if someone has faith or not -- how do I know if I do or not? Through prayer, I try to figure it out.So, for example ... can I pray for forgiveness? About things so painful I don't even want to think about them anymore? Can I pray for forgiveness for people who "done me wrong"? If they are my worst enemy and did me wrong, can I really forgive those who tresspass against me?Can I forgive members of this country's leadership when I know they've done wrong, with full intention, and no remorse, and it's going to negatively affect every family on earth -- including my own?If my enemy is in trouble, can I pray for the alleviation of his pain? Can I pray for that even if it were to be to my detriment if the prayer is granted? Can I do that and mean it?Can I pray for the strength to turn the other cheek when it *really* hurts? Even in the pocketbook?If I pray for strength to do God's will, knowing that I might be cowardly and refuse the opportunity once it presents itself? I know myself better than any other mortal person -- and I know that's a harder question to answer than it may seem.Can I pray for righteousness even if it means my own damnation? Can I admit that my soul belongs to God, and that both mortal and immortal existence are His decisions? Also hard to swallow, but I pray that I become able to do just that 24x7.Can I be thankful for every moment of existence? For the time my baby niece, who I was hoping to adopt, died nearly in my arms? For those precious moments of my life I've wasted arguing with my wife? For the days when my kids are sick, or once even hospitalized? For the day I lost my job? For the opportunities I've been given and I've frittered away? (Thanks for the chance, God, but I mucked it up yet again...)Can I do all of this, and mean it, and mean it for no better reason than that the Creator of all existence wants me to, and because Jesus asked me to?If I can, then maybe I have faith. I can't yet, not to all or even most of it, but I'm working on it.So yes, that's the long answer why I think prayer, and even faith itself, is a skill.

JIP

Dec 7, 2007
(PilgrimLostInTraffic;31800)
No, I think I may have miscommunicated. The fundamental questions are, "How strong is my own faith, how strong can I make my own faith -- and how do I know how strong it is?"Not "works", but I think that faith itself can be hard work to someone to whom it does not come naturally -- like me. So God can tell if someone has faith or not -- how do I know if I do or not? Through prayer, I try to figure it out.So, for example ... can I pray for forgiveness? About things so painful I don't even want to think about them anymore? Can I pray for forgiveness for people who "done me wrong"? If they are my worst enemy and did me wrong, can I really forgive those who tresspass against me?Can I forgive members of this country's leadership when I know they've done wrong, with full intention, and no remorse, and it's going to negatively affect every family on earth -- including my own?If my enemy is in trouble, can I pray for the alleviation of his pain? Can I pray for that even if it were to be to my detriment if the prayer is granted? Can I do that and mean it?Can I pray for the strength to turn the other cheek when it *really* hurts? Even in the pocketbook?If I pray for strength to do God's will, knowing that I might be cowardly and refuse the opportunity once it presents itself? I know myself better than any other mortal person -- and I know that's a harder question to answer than it may seem.Can I pray for righteousness even if it means my own damnation? Can I admit that my soul belongs to God, and that both mortal and immortal existence are His decisions? Also hard to swallow, but I pray that I become able to do just that 24x7.Can I be thankful for every moment of existence? For the time my baby niece, who I was hoping to adopt, died nearly in my arms? For those precious moments of my life I've wasted arguing with my wife? For the days when my kids are sick, or once even hospitalized? For the day I lost my job? For the opportunities I've been given and I've frittered away? (Thanks for the chance, God, but I mucked it up yet again...)Can I do all of this, and mean it, and mean it for no better reason than that the Creator of all existence wants me to, and because Jesus asked me to?If I can, then maybe I have faith. I can't yet, not to all or even most of it, but I'm working on it.So yes, that's the long answer why I think prayer, and even faith itself, is a skill.
Wow touchy but beautifully put. Appreciate it man. It's difficult to get someone to open their Pandora's box... you just did and Oh what a grace. Thanks. And Yes Yes Yes thats why Jesus came and thats why we have prayer. And really really loved that, "Even in the pocketbook". Thats honesty because somethings will always remain in the pocketbook. Thanks for clearing and thanks for the testimony. Be Blessed Always

His By Grace

Dec 28, 2007
That's what is wonderful about the family of God. We come from so many walks of life with so many perspectives; so many ways to explain things. Some ways touch some people. Other ways can be more clear to other people. I see what you mean, Pilgrim, about the "skill" thing. Another way to put it is simply growing in the Lord. As we give more of ourselves to Him and get to know Him, that's when we feel comfortable in our talking to Him. We also can pray scripture because we know it. Our spiritual growth changes from milk to meat like the child learning more of how to communicate. I really think it's a maturity thing, too. Some children don't feel uncomfortable with relating to each other. They just have their own way to do it. I think God takes us where we are in our prayer life. He's just so glad we are wanting to be with Him! Yes, perfect practice makes perfect, but aren't you glad you can figuratively "sit in Abba Father's lap" and share your heart with whatever words you can even muster up when you are feeling the deepest hurt you have ever felt? Sometimes all I can say is "Oh, Lord! I believe, but help my unbelief!" Just know the Lord is there for all who call on Him with a pure heart-that's the thing. He knows our motive for prayer. He does want diligence, but he also wants our complete love. We can pray and ask Him to heal us and really believe! But, can we still believe if He wants us to stay sick to glorify Him? How much do we really love Him? These are questions I ponder all the time. Tough things to think about!

Faithful

Jul 13, 2007
I see prayer in two ways.Jesus taught Matthew 6:5-13.5.And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. 6.But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly. 7.But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking. 8.Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him. 9.After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. 10.Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven. 11.Give us this day our daily bread. 12.And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors. 13.And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen. We know all our needs are met in Christ Jesus and so this prayer says everything we need to ask of God and we need to praise God, acknowledging who he is.The 2nd part is being in his presence I talk with him. I discuss with him the events as they occur the scripture I have read and the things that are happening in my life. It is not like talking to a picture or a flower as some people do. I know he is there so I am talking with a person and I know he is listening and conversing with me. Yes I get answers from him. So prayer is a relationship with God.Faithful.:angel7: