Is Remarriage after Divorce, Adultery?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How many believe in second marriages after divorce?

• Only if divorce was due to sexual infidelity by the spouse?

Votes: 8 100.0%
  • Only if a written document of divorce is given for any reason?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Allowed if there was physical abuse in the marriage?

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Allowed if spouse refused to work and help financially?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is you who imagine it is a compromise. But in God's eyes the remarriage of younger widows is perfectly legitimate and encouraged ( 1 Tim 5:3-16). The injured spouse is in the same position as a widow or widower.

widows and divorced are two different things. How can you say they are the same when the word is clear, the spouse is living in the case of divorce, but not in the case of a widow.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
According to NT which trumps OT, I believe they BOTH must wait. Mark 10:11-12

But since you are not a man....that part doesn't affect you....well..you may choose to not marry a divorced man for whatever reason.

That's fine.

But I agree in principle with your stance.

The bible is very clear that a woman is bound to her husband as long as he lives.

In all my years of counseling and discussing...I have not found anyone who makes the distinction between what a man and a wife are responsible unto the Lord for. It is always...both are free....or none are free.

But the truth is that a woman was created for the man...not a man for the woman. THAT is the difference. (it is also biblical)

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
You are doing it again. You are adding in your own ideas here. You must learn to be more careful in your reading and less partisan. A woman is married to her husband as long as he live. It does NOT say a man is married to his wife as long as she lives.
Stick to the subject instead of giving me your gratuitous advise. Do you see how absurd this sounds: A woman is married to her husband as long as he live. It does NOT say a man is married to his wife as long as she lives.

You may have double standards, but God does not.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But since you are not a man....that part doesn't affect you....well..you may choose to not marry a divorced man for whatever reason.

That's fine.

But I agree in principle with your stance.

The bible is very clear that a woman is bound to her husband as long as he lives.

In all my years of counseling and discussing...I have not found anyone who makes the distinction between what a man and a wife are responsible unto the Lord for. It is always...both are free....or none are free.

But the truth is that a woman was created for the man...not a man for the woman. THAT is the difference. (it is also biblical)

I still sense that you feel it is okay for a man to remarry, but a woman must wait until he is dead, no matter the cause for the divorce.

Reactions: Nancy

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Then how do you explain Mark 10:11-12 if the man is free and the woman isn't?

If a man puts away his wife....is very different from...if his wife is unfaithful.

A man can see another woman he wants and puts away his faithful wife....therefore committing adultery. But since he is responsible...her sin afterwards is ALSO his responsibility.

So then there is a difference.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Stick to the subject instead of giving me your gratuitous advise. Do you see how absurd this sounds: A woman is married to her husband as long as he live. It does NOT say a man is married to his wife as long as she lives.

You may have double standards, but God does not.

Are you denying what I'm saying...or just ranting here?

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
widows and divorced are two different things. How can you say they are the same when the word is clear, the spouse is living in the case of divorce, but not in the case of a widow.
Does death terminate marriage? YES
Does divorce (acceptable to God) terminate marriage? YES

So how can it be "two different things". The termination of a marriage frees the surviving spouse.

LC627

May 11, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe what the scriptures say, the only biblical divorce is one from when physical adultery occurs. Remarriage outside of that is wrong. I will say this, I do not believe that separation is a sin or wrong, if ones life is in danger then you have a right to separate to protect yourself and your children if you have any. but the only Biblical divorce involves sexual infidelity.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1stCenturyLady

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I still sense that you feel it is okay for a man to remarry, but a woman must wait until he is dead, no matter the cause for the divorce.

Only in the case of adultery (unfaithfulness).

The woman is created for the man. Is she proves unfaithful....he can re-marry.

Eve was unfaithful to God. Would not God have created another wife for Adam had he repudiated her? But Adam sinned by choosing his wife over God.

The fall of man is on Adam...not Eve. People are born with an Adamic bent...not Evenic.

So then the man is responsible....but the wife is attached to the man.

The test for the man is to NOT put his wife before God. The test of the woman is to honour God's will in marriage....by standing by her husband.

Reactions: brakelite

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If a man puts away his wife....is very different from...if his wife is unfaithful.

A man can see another woman he wants and puts away his faithful wife....therefore committing adultery. But since he is responsible...her sin afterwards is ALSO his responsibility.

So then there is a difference.

According to Matthew 19 I believe Jesus is saying that remarriage is okay if the divorce was due to SEXUAL INFIDELITY, not just because they don't get along. Thus the words, "except for sexual infidelity."

But according to Mark 10:11-12, Jesus is equalizing the man and woman, and not making more allowances for the man over the woman.

Personally, I am not looking at another man, even though my Christian husband left me for the wife of his best friend, causing two divorces. He is still alive. Though if she died, and he wanted to come back to me, I don't know that I could stomach him.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I believe what the scriptures say, the only biblical divorce is one from when physical adultery occurs. Remarriage outside of that is wrong. I will say this, I do not believe that separation is a sin or wrong, if ones life is in danger then you have a right to separate to protect yourself and your children if you have any. but the only Biblical divorce involves sexual infidelity.

See...you don't see that a woman is bound to her husband as long as he lives (not as long as he is faithful....as the woman bound to).

LC627

May 11, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
See...you don't see that a woman is bound to her husband as long as he lives (not as long as he is faithful....as the woman bound to).

If physical sexual sin is involved the person is free to divorce. Some choose to stay and work on the marriage and that is amazing, but they are not obligated to.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Only in the case of adultery (unfaithfulness).

The woman is created for the man. Is she proves unfaithful....he can re-marry.

Eve was unfaithful to God. Would not God have created another wife for Adam had he repudiated her? But Adam sinned by choosing his wife over God.

The fall of man is on Adam...not Eve. People are born with an Adamic bent...not Evenic.

So then the man is responsible....but the wife is attached to the man.

The test for the man is to NOT put his wife before God. The test of the woman is to honour God's will in marriage....by standing by her husband.

So just to be clear, you believe a woman can never divorce or remarry if her husband lives, no matter if he committed adultery, but a man can as long as the divorce was for sexual infidelity. Yes or no?

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
According to Matthew 19 I believe Jesus is saying that remarriage is okay if the divorce was due to SEXUAL INFIDELITY, not just because they don't get along. Thus the words, "except for sexual infidelity."

But according to Mark 10:11-12, Jesus is equalizing the man and woman, and not making more allowances for the man over the woman.

Personally, I am not looking at another man, even though my Christian husband left me for the wife of his best friend, causing two divorces. He is still alive. Though if she died, and he wanted to come back to me, I don't know that I could stomach him.

Of course. A man can't have a wife that has "connected" with another man. That's what marriage is...the joining of flesh.

You have every right to not be reconnected to an unfaithful husband. You just don't have God in your corner to marry freely.

But I honour you for staying true to God. :)

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
If physical sexual sin is involved the person is free to divorce. Some choose to stay and work on the marriage and that is amazing, but they are not obligated to.

You say "they" from a modern perspective...not a biblical one.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. But one who fears God doesn't indulge in such things.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
So just to be clear, you believe a woman can never divorce or remarry if her husband lives, no matter if he committed adultery, but a man can as long as the divorce was for sexual infidelity. Yes or no?

She can divorce...but not remarry. The bible says...she cannot marry another as long as her husband lives.

But a man...CAN re-marry because of the unfaithfulness of his wife.

That is what it says in the bible....without all the prejudice you usually hear from bad readings.

LC627

May 11, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
She can divorce...but not remarry. The bible says...she cannot marry another as long as her husband lives.

That is what it says in the bible....without all the prejudice you usually hear from bad readings.

If She is divorced then he is no longer the husband...she can re-marry

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
If She is divorced then they are not married...

As long as she remains unmarried...you are getting hung up here...call it separation then. Whatever. Stick to the text. The bible only forbids remarriage to the wife who has a living husband.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Another question. Why did God allow multiple wives for a man, but not in the beginning, nor in Jesus' day? And why did God allow women who were NOT wives, but mere concubines, to bear children for men, but now that is adultery?

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Another question. Why did God allow multiple wives for a man, but not in the beginning, nor in Jesus' day? And why did God allow women who were NOT wives, but mere concubines, to bear children for men, but now that is adultery?

I believe it is to show that there is a difference in the role of a man and a wife in marriage. A man covers his wife....and a woman needs covering. At one time a woman could not have children and be without a husband. She would have died. So a man covers the woman by taking her into his household. A great man was seen as being able to have many wives...

Even in many countries in Africa...there is still this tendency.

But what of a woman with many husbands???? Is that anywhere in the bible or seen in any ancient society? It would be an aberration. (not saying it's not physically possible)

So then the woman is created for the man in marriage. Not the man for the woman. The man is responsible to cover his wife. If he rejects her..then HE is responsible for her adulteries (since otherwise she would die)

So then as long as he looked after his wives...and not cast them out...he was seen as righteous.