Is Remarriage after Divorce, Adultery?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How many believe in second marriages after divorce?

• Only if divorce was due to sexual infidelity by the spouse?

Votes: 8 100.0%
  • Only if a written document of divorce is given for any reason?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Allowed if there was physical abuse in the marriage?

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Allowed if spouse refused to work and help financially?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Vexatious

Sep 29, 2018
midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Divorce is not provided under the new covenant. We forgive instead.

Moses permitted divorce as a secular concession in a political nation-state. God has never approved of divorce, aside from when your spouse abandons you for someone else.

D

Dave L

Moses permitted divorce as a secular concession in a political nation-state. God has never approved of divorce, aside from when your spouse abandons you for someone else.
Even then divorce is = to unforgiveness, a damnable sin. And divorce is an empty term under the New Covenant. All divorce and remarriage for any reason = adultery, another damnable sin.

Vexatious

Sep 29, 2018
midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is you who imagine it is a compromise. But in God's eyes the remarriage of younger widows is perfectly legitimate and encouraged ( 1 Tim 5:3-16). The injured spouse is in the same position as a widow or widower.

1) Remarriage after divorce forecloses on the possibility of reconciliation (to correct a wrongful dissolution), remarriage after death does not.

2) Because you otherwise usually don't know if someone is a perpetrator vs. victim of divorce, staying single is the best evidence of innocence. A widow needs no evidence of innocence (faithfulness to the marriage).

Remarried, after divorce, men should be barred from leading a church, even if they are an innocent victim.

Vexatious

Sep 29, 2018
midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Even then divorce is = to unforgiveness, a damnable sin. And divorce is an empty term under the New Covenant. All divorce and remarriage for any reason = adultery, another damnable sin.

In the Old Testament, people who perpetrated divorce sinned. Moses allowed divorce as a secular law, having nothing to do with the Old Covenant. Nothing has changed.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The bible is very clear that a woman is bound to her husband as long as he lives.

Replying to the thread as a whole but this one quote stands out. “The Bible is very clear that a woman is bound to her husband as long as he lives.”
“...bound to her husband as long as he lives.” Romans 7:2-4 “For the woman which hath an husband is bound by the law to her husband so long as he liveth; but if the husband be dead, she is loosed from the law of her husband. So then if, while her husband liveth, she be married to another man, she shall be called an adulteress: but if her husband be dead, she is free from that law; so that she is no adulteress, though she be married to another man. Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God.

“...but if her husband be dead, she is free from the law; so that she is no adulteress, though she be married to another man.” As with all I’m left with why God’s focus on the woman and her being bound or free...it is about Christ.

Last edited:
Reactions: Episkopos

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I remember I didn't want any part of it. I never signed the papers, got a lawyer or went to court. He married two months after hers was final.

Reactions: Episkopos

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
1) Remarriage after divorce forecloses on the possibility of reconciliation (to correct a wrongful dissolution), remarriage after death does not.

2) Because you otherwise usually don't know if someone is a perpetrator vs. victim of divorce, staying single is the best evidence of innocence. A widow needs no evidence of innocence (faithfulness to the marriage).

Remarried, after divorce, men should be barred from leading a church, even if they are an innocent victim.

Amen. Husband of one wife.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks for sharing your faith and love for Christ.

Divorce is evil. It made me feel like he was taking me to the junk yard, for a newer model. No one should have to be made to feel that way, and with no support. It is evil. And then to have to spend the rest of my life alone struggling is no fun either. But rather that, than sin.

Why does divorce even enter a Christian's mind? I don't understand.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Divorce is evil. It made me feel like he was taking me to the junk yard, for a newer model. No one should have to be made to feel that way, and with no support. It is evil. And then to have to spend the rest of my life alone struggling is no fun either. But rather that, than sin.

When we start to think of the word Christian as a noun...as in...I am one....all manner of evil is possible.

But when we see the word Christian as a verb..we can then ask....am I acting like a Christian?

D

Dave L

I'm still married to my original wife. But I came to believe there is nothing in life worse than divorce. I can live with her loving me at time of death should she go before me. But I don't know how I would fair under your load. Thanks for your example in placing Jesus first.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
OP -
Marriage after Divorce Adultry?

Yes and No....

Yes, IF, the one issuing the Divorce, is issuing the Divorce TO a Faithful spouse.

IF that same ^ one issuing the Divorce, To a Faithful spouse....Takes a NEW Love, That one who issued the the Divorcr, has committed Adultry....and the First Faithful spouse is Free To marry Again, without having Committed Adultry.

No, IF the one being issued a Divorce, was Faithful, and remains Faithful...Until the issuing spouse, takes another for their Love.

Marriage and Divorce and Faithfulness are Foreshadows of an individual's Relationship with God.

It is a teaching about "Truly CHOOSING" God as ones First Love Above All "other" gods, and All "other" humans, and Remaining Faithful To Him Forever.

It is an Understanding the ONCE a human "COMMITS in Truth" To God, "God Himself" Will Forever REMAIN Faithful To that Individual, and That Individual can thereafter NEVER, Be Unfaithful To Him.

Humans are failures at Keeping their "Commitments". Just a Fact. Be it a (mindful) , (eh, momentary, sounds good) commitment TO God or other humans and even TO another human while having Called on God TO BE a Witness of such Commitment.

God, Thee mighty all powerful...presented humans with an Spectacular Proposition...

1) COMMIT (in HEARTFUL) Truth TO HIM...
and
2) The Power of God and Faithfulness of God....
Will "FOREVER KEEP you" Faithful TO HIM!

God Bless,
Taken

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When we start to think of the word Christian as a noun...as in...I am one....all manner of evil is possible.

But when we see the word Christian as a verb..we can then ask....am I acting like a Christian?

Thank you for your input of distinguishing two Kinds of the meaning of the word Christian

I see from observing;

Anyone can call themselves or another A Christian...Because they are, learning and "following" along in the Word of God.

However I find a Complete DIFFERENCE, between "a simply following along Christian",
(noun), Identifying, as a Christian..
This "Christian" at any time can:
FALL AWAY.

And "a COMMITED" (saved and born again) following along Christian,
(verb), Identifying, as a Committed Christian.
This "Christian" can never:
FALL AWAY.

God Bless,
Taken

D

Dave L

OP -
Marriage after Divorce Adultry?

Yes and No....

Yes, IF, the one issuing the Divorce, is issuing the Divorce TO a Faithful spouse.

IF that same ^ one issuing the Divorce, To a Faithful spouse....Takes a NEW Love, That one who issued the the Divorcr, has committed Adultry....and the First Faithful spouse is Free To marry Again, without having Committed Adultry.

No, IF the one being issued a Divorce, was Faithful, and remains Faithful...Until the issuing spouse, takes another for their Love.

Marriage and Divorce and Faithfulness are Foreshadows of an individual's Relationship with God.

It is a teaching about "Truly CHOOSING" God as ones First Love Above All "other" gods, and All "other" humans, and Remaining Faithful To Him Forever.

It is an Understanding the ONCE a human "COMMITS in Truth" To God, "God Himself" Will Forever REMAIN Faithful To that Individual, and That Individual can thereafter NEVER, Be Unfaithful To Him.

Humans are failures at Keeping their "Commitments". Just a Fact. Be it a (mindful) , (eh, momentary, sounds good) commitment TO God or other humans and even TO another human while having Called on God TO BE a Witness of such Commitment.

God, Thee mighty all powerful...presented humans with an Spectacular Proposition...

1) COMMIT (in HEARTFUL) Truth TO HIM...
and
2) The Power of God and Faithfulness of God....
Will "FOREVER KEEP you" Faithful TO HIM!

God Bless,
Taken
God does not include divorce under the new covenant. All divorce involves unforgiveness, a damnable sin, on the part of the seeker. And all divorce and remarriage is adultery no matter the reason.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Do we forget that when Paul is writing about the man woman relationship in 1 Corinthians 7 He says:-

" But I speak this by permission, and not of commandment."

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God does not include divorce under the new covenant. All divorce involves unforgiveness, a damnable sin, on the part of the seeker. And all divorce and remarriage is adultery no matter the reason.

Matt 5:32

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Old Testament. New Covenant came into place at Calvary. No divorce provided for in the New Covenant.

Dave, you were provided Matt 5:32. I can not understand for you, the
'exception' of "unfaithfulness" that was and is acceptable for divorce, BETWEEN "humans".

I can not understand for you, that a WHOLE man Joined with God, can NEVER become, "separated/DIVORCED" from God;
BECAUSE God Himself CAN NOT BE "UNFAItHFUL"...
BECAUSE the man himself, BY THE POWER OF God, CAN NOT BE "UNFAITHFUL".

God Bless,
Taken