Is Sabbath, Saturday or Sunday.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Sheffield, Yorkshire, home of Robin Hood.
robinhood-loxley.weebly.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I just read the Bible as it is written and not read stuff into it that is not there.

The Bible says that we all have to give an account for the way we live our lives. It says, "It is appointed unto people once to die and after this the judgment". So you and I will die one day and face God in the judgment. All of life is heading toward the judgment and there is no avoiding it. What will you when you find yourself standing alone before God in the judgment and God reviews your life according to whether you obeyed the Ten Commandments or not?

If you are misreading the Bible about where Jesus paid the penalty for our sin, then you may not know what it means to be born again. And if you are not born again, you are in terrible danger. I'm not saying this, the Bible is.

Do you think it is heresy when the Bible says, "Examine yourself to see whether you are in the faith"?
You have to be joking. The Bible says Jesus rose on Sunday after three days.

Mar 30, 2020
Star
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Doesn't matter. That which was sealed in old is unsealed in new. That which was bound in old was freed in new. The things bound in the practices of the Old are now free in the new, which includes that which made the Sabbath the Sabbath. So it no longer possesses what made it special for like the curtain it was torn that day and the Spirit of God left. So stop bickering about fruitless matters.

Reactions: mjrhealth and Pearl

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
No. That's not joking. The unsuccessful Scottish hunter went out into the fog and mist. That's joking!

But you are right. He did rise from the dead on Sunday after three days!
Nice sleight of hand. Now for the truth:

He continued in the grave just as long as Jonah continued in the fish's belly, three days and three nights; not three whole days and nights: it is probable, Jonah did not lie so long in the whale's belly, but part of three natural days (nuchthēmerai, the Greeks called them); he was buried in the afternoon of the sixth day of the week, and rose again in the morning of the first day; it is a manner of speech very usual; see 1Ki_20:29; Est_4:16; Est_5:1; Luk_2:21.
(Matthew Henry)

Three days and three nights - It will be seen in the account of the resurrection of Christ that he was in the grave but two nights and a part of three days. See Mat_18:6. This computation is, however, strictly in accordance with the Jewish mode of reckoning. If it had “not” been, the Jews would have understood it, and would have charged our Saviour as being a false prophet, for it was well known to them that he had spoken this prophecy, Mat_27:63. Such a charge, however, was never made; and it is plain, therefore, that what was “meant” by the prediction was accomplished. It was a maxim, also, among the Jews, in computing time, that a part of a day was to be received as the whole. Many instances of this kind occur in both sacred and profane history. See 2Ch_10:5, 2Ch_10:12; Gen_42:17-18. Compare Est_4:16 with Est_5:1.
(Albert Barnes)

Reactions: mailmandan

Paul Christensen

Mar 2, 2020
Christchurch
www.personal-communication.org.nz
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Nice sleight of hand. Now for the truth:

He continued in the grave just as long as Jonah continued in the fish's belly, three days and three nights; not three whole days and nights: it is probable, Jonah did not lie so long in the whale's belly, but part of three natural days (nuchthēmerai, the Greeks called them); he was buried in the afternoon of the sixth day of the week, and rose again in the morning of the first day; it is a manner of speech very usual; see 1Ki_20:29; Est_4:16; Est_5:1; Luk_2:21.
(Matthew Henry)

Three days and three nights - It will be seen in the account of the resurrection of Christ that he was in the grave but two nights and a part of three days. See Mat_18:6. This computation is, however, strictly in accordance with the Jewish mode of reckoning. If it had “not” been, the Jews would have understood it, and would have charged our Saviour as being a false prophet, for it was well known to them that he had spoken this prophecy, Mat_27:63. Such a charge, however, was never made; and it is plain, therefore, that what was “meant” by the prediction was accomplished. It was a maxim, also, among the Jews, in computing time, that a part of a day was to be received as the whole. Many instances of this kind occur in both sacred and profane history. See 2Ch_10:5, 2Ch_10:12; Gen_42:17-18. Compare Est_4:16 with Est_5:1.
(Albert Barnes)
Ok. Can't argue with that.

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
We meet together every day on this and other similar sites

Of the faithful and believing "assembling of ourselves together" which the first Christians as the Church of Jesus Christ were "fully convinced" that they should "not neglect" but keep, and keep according to the Scriptures to which their whole Christian Church-life was "ordered", of this "assembling of ourselves together" IN THE FEAR OF GOD AND HIS WORD, you, <Pearl>, have the audacity to make some people's <<meet(ing) together every day on this and other similar sites>>.

That is the sum total of your respect for SCRIPTURE.

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Three days and three nights - It will be seen in the account of the resurrection of Christ that he was in the grave but two nights and a part of three days. See Mat_18:6.

<<Mat_18:6>> is no <<account of the resurrection of Christ>>, or, <<that he was in the grave but two nights and a part of three days>>. What can I call this that will not count a notification against me on CB? Nothing!

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
three natural days (nuchthēmerai, the Greeks called them); he was buried in the afternoon of the sixth day of the week, and rose again in the morning of the first day; it is a manner of speech very usual; see 1Ki_20:29; Est_4:16; Est_5:1; Luk_2:21.
(Matthew Henry)

Neither you nor the great Matthew Henry draw a legitimate parallel here, because...

'nuchthēmerai' is not <<a manner of speech very usual>>. 3 incidences only provided here, and the three of them from the entire LXX, surely is not <very usual>;

'nuchthēmerai' is not <<a manner of speech>> at all in the Hebrew. In <1Ki_20:29; Est_4:16> the manner of speech is the usual word for 'days' Plural, 'yamin'; in <Est_5:1>, the manner of speech is the usual word for 'day' Singular, 'yohm';

'nuchthēmerai' is not a NT use, specifically not in <Luk_2:21> where the manner of speech is the usual word for 'days' Plural, 'hehmerai'—, not 'nuchthēmerai'.

In other words your post is fake information especially since <<he was buried in the afternoon of the sixth day of the week>>— and did not die <in the afternoon of the sixth day of the week>;

and especially since He did not rise again <<in the morning of the first day>> WHICH IS, THE <manner> MOST <usual> in Christian <speech> for LYING about Jesus' Resurrection which occurred "on the Sabbath .. the day which is after the Preparation .. late mid-afternoon before the First Day of the week .. the third day He said He would RISE again". Matthew 27:62 to 28:4.

BUT WHAT ARE THEY GOING TO DO? THEY ARE JUST GOING TO GO ON AS IF IT IS NOT WRITTEN.

Last edited:

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Reading some of the post here, now I ask, "did our Lord rise on the the day you call sunday, meaning the first day of the week or was the tomb found enpty on the first day of the week".

PICJAG.

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
He was in his grave taking on a punishment
Jesus was no longer <in his grave taking on a punishment>. His Burial was ALREADY THE BEGINNING OF CHRIST'S EXALTATION TO THE RIGHT HAND OF GOD RIGHT THERE IN THE TOMB WHERE GOD'S PRESENCE IN THE FULL FELLOWSHIP OF FATHER, SON AND HOLY SPIRIT WAS— SHEKINAH OVER THE ARK OF THE COVENANT WHERE JESUS LAY, "FIRST SHEAF WAVED PROSTRATED OFFERING BEFORE THE LORD".

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Jesus did not adhere strictly to keeping the sabbath - which incidentally just means seventh - he healed and picked corn and was criticised for doing so by the religious leaders.

Jesus set us free from religion, so good please folks, let us not fall back into religion. We are to honour God and care for our neighbour on whatever day of the week.

Our lives should be holy - set apart for God - everyday, and if we are living that life then I think it is unimportant which day of the week we take for our sabbath rest. When I worked my day off was Thursday so hat was the day I rested.

Sundays (or Saturdays) in the households of thousands of churchgoers can be hectic and not restful at all. God rested on the seventh day, he didn't go around in a spin getting his kids ready for church and shouting at his wife to hurry up.

As I see it the sabbath is a day of rest from our labours.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The things bound in the practices of the Old are now free in the new, which includes that which made the Sabbath the Sabbath.
What made the Sabbath the Sabbath was God's blessing, making it holy. So you think God's blessing was a bondage that needed to be removed so the day could be free? Interesting how so many are so free with their own words but don't think them through.

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
What made the Sabbath the Sabbath was God's blessing, making it holy. So you think

So you and the SDA <<think .. what made the Sabbath the Sabbath>> was not God's MERCY SHOWN on the Seventh Day from that it was evening "in the cool of day" in Genesis 3:8 and further, which made the Sabbath "holy" and "blessed" because Christ was the Lamb of God THERE AND THEN AFTER ADAM AND EVE HAD SINNED. Because it's a fact the SDA have resisted, ridiculed and rejected this ONLY Blessing which ever "made the Sabbath" a blessing "for man".

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Jesus did not adhere strictly to keeping the sabbath - which incidentally just means seventh - he healed and picked corn and was criticised for doing so by the religious leaders.

Jesus set us free from religion, so good please folks, let us not fall back into religion. We are to honour God and care for our neighbour on whatever day of the week.

Our lives should be holy - set apart for God - everyday, and if we are living that life then I think it is unimportant which day of the week we take for our sabbath rest. When I worked my day off was Thursday so hat was the day I rested.

Sundays (or Saturdays) in the households of thousands of churchgoers can be hectic and not restful at all. God rested on the seventh day, he didn't go around in a spin getting his kids ready for church and shouting at his wife to hurry up.

As I see it the sabbath is a day of rest from our labours.

Too shallow <<for me>>-idea about the Lord's Day to comment on.

Jennifer Augustine

Mar 27, 2020
Marksville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I just read the Bible as it is written and not read stuff into it that is not there.

The Bible says that we all have to give an account for the way we live our lives. It says, "It is appointed unto people once to die and after this the judgment". So you and I will die one day and face God in the judgment. All of life is heading toward the judgment and there is no avoiding it. What will you when you find yourself standing alone before God in the judgment and God reviews your life according to whether you obeyed the Ten Commandments or not?

If you are misreading the Bible about where Jesus paid the penalty for our sin, then you may not know what it means to be born again. And if you are not born again, you are in terrible danger. I'm not saying this, the Bible is.

Do you think it is heresy when the Bible says, "Examine yourself to see whether you are in the faith"?

Don't judge me you don't know little Israel ;) Isaiah 43

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Reading some of the post here, now I ask, "did our Lord rise on the the day you call sunday, meaning the first day of the week or was the tomb found enpty on the first day of the week".

PICJAG.
He was buried, and that He rose again the third day according to the Scriptures, (1 Corinthians 15:4)

g. He rose again: This truth is essential to the gospel. Why, if Jesus died on the cross to pay for our sins and remove our guilt, why is the resurrection of Jesus so important?

i. Although Jesus bore the full wrath of God on the cross, as if He were a guilty sinner, guilty of all our sin, even being made sin for us (2Co_5:21), He Himself did not become a sinner. Even the act of taking our sin was an act of holy, giving love for us - so that Jesus Himself did not become a sinner, even though He bore the full guilt of our sin. This is the gospel message! That Jesus took our punishment for sin on the cross, and remained a perfect Savior through the whole ordeal - proved by His resurrection.

ii. For this reason, He remained the Holy One (Act_2:27; Act_2:31-32), even in His death. Since it was incomprehensible that God’s Holy One could be bound by death, the resurrection was absolutely inevitable.

iii. Therefore, the resurrection of Jesus is not some “add on” to a “more important” work on the cross. If the cross is the payment for our sins, the empty tomb is the receipt, showing that the perfect Son of God made perfect payment for our sins. The payment itself is of little good without the receipt! This is why the resurrection of Jesus was such a prominent theme in the evangelistic preaching of the early church (Act_2:24; Act_3:15; Act_4:10; Act_13:30-39).

iv. The cross was a time of victorious death, a negative triumph. Sin was defeated, but nothing positive was put in its place until the resurrection. The resurrection showed that Jesus did not succumb to the inevitable result of sin. The resurrection is proof of His conquest.

h. He rose again the third day: The fact that Jesus rose again the third day is part of the gospel. Jesus was a unique case. He did not or will not rise at some “general” resurrection of the dead. Instead, He rose the third day after His death. This also demonstrates Jesus’ credibility, because He proclaimed He would rise three days after His death (Mat_16:21; Mat_17:23; Mat_20:19).

i. Because of the reference to the third day, and because in Mat_12:40 Jesus refers to three days and three nights, some have thought it necessary for Jesus to spend at least 72 hours in the grave. This upsets most chronologies of the death and resurrection of Jesus, and is unnecessary, being unaware of the use of ancient figures of speech. Eleazar ben Azariah (around the year 100 A.D.) said: “A day and a night make a whole day, and a portion of a whole day is reckoned as a whole day.” This demonstrates how in Jesus’ day, the phrase three days and three nights did not necessarily mean a 72-hour period, but a period including at least the portions of three days and three nights.

ii. “According to Jewish reckoning, ‘three days’ would include parts of Friday afternoon, all of Saturday, and Sunday morning.” (Mare)

i. According to the Scriptures: Because this idea is so important, Paul repeats it twice in these two verses. Jesus’ work for us didn’t just come out of thin air; it was planned from all eternity and described prophetically in the Scriptures.

i. The plan for His death is described in places like Psalms 22 and Isaiah 53.

ii. The plan for His resurrection is described in places like Hos_6:2, Jon_1:17, Psa_16:10, as well as the scenario in Genesis 22, where Isaac, as a type of Christ, is “raised” on the third day of their journey, at the beginning of which Abraham had reckoned his son dead.

(David Guzik)

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
What made the Sabbath the Sabbath was God's blessing, making it holy. So you think God's blessing was a bondage that needed to be removed so the day could be free? Interesting how so many are so free with their own words but don't think them through.
God gave us a NEW covenant that REPLACED the old covenant, marked by ressurection SUNDAY and a NEW life with the SAVIOUR of the world.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2020
Star
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Eat your words, it might help you out a little. Let me ask you this, if God's spirit wasn't in bondage, then why did it want to leave to the new? If it didn't, then it would not have left. Yet it left, signifying it did. This means during those times it was doing what it did not desire for the sake of creation, which means at that time it was in bondage (being somewhere against its wishes). It wanted the new but for the sake of the new it had to be bound in the old for a little while

Reactions: mjrhealth

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He was buried, and that He rose again the third day according to the Scriptures, (1 Corinthians 15:4)

g. He rose again: This truth is essential to the gospel. Why, if Jesus died on the cross to pay for our sins and remove our guilt, why is the resurrection of Jesus so important?

i. Although Jesus bore the full wrath of God on the cross, as if He were a guilty sinner, guilty of all our sin, even being made sin for us (2Co_5:21), He Himself did not become a sinner. Even the act of taking our sin was an act of holy, giving love for us - so that Jesus Himself did not become a sinner, even though He bore the full guilt of our sin. This is the gospel message! That Jesus took our punishment for sin on the cross, and remained a perfect Savior through the whole ordeal - proved by His resurrection.

ii. For this reason, He remained the Holy One (Act_2:27; Act_2:31-32), even in His death. Since it was incomprehensible that God’s Holy One could be bound by death, the resurrection was absolutely inevitable.

iii. Therefore, the resurrection of Jesus is not some “add on” to a “more important” work on the cross. If the cross is the payment for our sins, the empty tomb is the receipt, showing that the perfect Son of God made perfect payment for our sins. The payment itself is of little good without the receipt! This is why the resurrection of Jesus was such a prominent theme in the evangelistic preaching of the early church (Act_2:24; Act_3:15; Act_4:10; Act_13:30-39).

iv. The cross was a time of victorious death, a negative triumph. Sin was defeated, but nothing positive was put in its place until the resurrection. The resurrection showed that Jesus did not succumb to the inevitable result of sin. The resurrection is proof of His conquest.

h. He rose again the third day: The fact that Jesus rose again the third day is part of the gospel. Jesus was a unique case. He did not or will not rise at some “general” resurrection of the dead. Instead, He rose the third day after His death. This also demonstrates Jesus’ credibility, because He proclaimed He would rise three days after His death (Mat_16:21; Mat_17:23; Mat_20:19).

i. Because of the reference to the third day, and because in Mat_12:40 Jesus refers to three days and three nights, some have thought it necessary for Jesus to spend at least 72 hours in the grave. This upsets most chronologies of the death and resurrection of Jesus, and is unnecessary, being unaware of the use of ancient figures of speech. Eleazar ben Azariah (around the year 100 A.D.) said: “A day and a night make a whole day, and a portion of a whole day is reckoned as a whole day.” This demonstrates how in Jesus’ day, the phrase three days and three nights did not necessarily mean a 72-hour period, but a period including at least the portions of three days and three nights.

ii. “According to Jewish reckoning, ‘three days’ would include parts of Friday afternoon, all of Saturday, and Sunday morning.” (Mare)

i. According to the Scriptures: Because this idea is so important, Paul repeats it twice in these two verses. Jesus’ work for us didn’t just come out of thin air; it was planned from all eternity and described prophetically in the Scriptures.

i. The plan for His death is described in places like Psalms 22 and Isaiah 53.

ii. The plan for His resurrection is described in places like Hos_6:2, Jon_1:17, Psa_16:10, as well as the scenario in Genesis 22, where Isaac, as a type of Christ, is “raised” on the third day of their journey, at the beginning of which Abraham had reckoned his son dead.

(David Guzik)
first thanks for the reply, second no need for all those scriptures, which we all know. but the simple question I asked was this, "did our Lord rise on the day which you call sunday, a simple yes or no is required. if yes post your scripture to that fact.

remember we all know that he rose on the THIRD day, but as said, did he rise on the day you call sunday?

Looking to hear from you.

PICJAG.