Is the Bible the word of God?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Loosely speaking, yes. But some people think KJV is the word of God.

Technically, I consider a bible as a translation of a recording of the word of God.

One problem is that there is no universal definition of the Bible. The Protestant Bible has 66 books; Catholic, 73 books; Orthodox, 81 books; Ethiopian, 86 books.

Let's arbitrarily fix a definition of the Bible as defined by the 66 books of Protestant canon. Still, there is a problem: Which ancient manuscripts are the word of God? Matthew 17:21 is missing from NIV because of its choice of manuscripts.

Moreover, some passages are clearly words of God, Numbers 9:

6 But there were some men who were unclean due to a dead body, so they could not observe the Passover on that day. And they came before Moses and Aaron that same day 7and said to Moses, “We are unclean because of a dead body, but why should we be excluded from presenting the LORD’s offering with the other Israelites at the appointed time?”
8“Wait here until I find out what the LORD commands concerning you,” Moses replied.
9Then the LORD said to Moses, 10“Tell the Israelites: ‘When any one of you or your descendants is unclean because of a dead body, or is away on a journey, he may still observe the Passover to the LORD.
Other passages are not so clear, 1 Corinthians 7:

12 To the rest I say this (I, not the Lord): If any brother has a wife who is not a believer and she is willing to live with him, he must not divorce her.
In any case, whether it is direct quotations from God or Paul's personal opinions, 2 Timothy 3:

16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,
2 Peter 1:

21 For no prophecy was ever produced by the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.

Yes, loosely speaking.

No, if you want to be precise about it.

Is the Bible infallible or inerrant?

It is better to stick to the wording of the Bible and just say that all Scripture is God-breathed.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Loosely speaking, yes. But some people think KJV is the word of God.

Technically, I consider a bible as a translation of a recording of the word of God.

One problem is that there is no universal definition of the Bible. The Protestant Bible has 66 books; Catholic, 73 books; Orthodox, 81 books; Ethiopian, 86 books.

Let's arbitrarily fix a definition of the Bible as defined by the 66 books of Protestant canon. Still, there is a problem: Which ancient manuscripts are the word of God? Matthew 17:21 is missing from NIV because of its choice of manuscripts.

Moreover, some passages are clearly words of God, Numbers 9:

Other passages are not so clear, 1 Corinthians 7:

In any case, whether it is direct quotations from God or Paul's personal opinions, 2 Timothy 3:

2 Peter 1:

Yes, loosely speaking.

No, if you want to be precise about it.

Is the Bible infallible or inerrant?

It is better to stick to the wording of the Bible and just say that all Scripture is God-breathed.
It seems to me the Word of God are those instance God or Jesus are quoted in the Bible.

GISMYS_7

Jun 22, 2017
southern USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

2 Timothy 3:16-17​

16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching,rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17 so that the servant of God[a] may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.=========Satan loves to plant seeds of doubt but WOE to those that help him!!! THINK!!!!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

2 Timothy 3:16-17​

16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching,rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17 so that the servant of God[a] may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.=========Satan loves to plant seeds of doubt but WOE to those that help him!!! THINK!!!!
Define Bible.