Isaac and Ishmael

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So the men go to Sodom and Gamorrah and the place turns to cinders.
Abraham then moves on to Gerar where Abimelech takes Sarah, but God warns him if he does he will die.
We covered that. And this is after God promises Abraham and Sarah a child..
just saying..
So we go from here.

Gen 20:14 And Abimelech took sheep, and oxen, and menservants, and womenservants, and gave them unto Abraham, and restored him Sarah his wife.
Gen 20:15 And Abimelech said, Behold, my land is before thee: dwell where it pleaseth thee.
Gen 20:16 And unto Sarah he said, Behold, I have given thy brother a thousand pieces of silver: behold, he is to thee a covering of the eyes, unto all that are with thee, and with all other: thus she was reproved.
Gen 20:17 So Abraham prayed unto God: and God healed Abimelech, and his wife, and his maidservants; and they bare children.
Gen 20:18 For the LORD had fast closed up all the wombs of the house of Abimelech, because of Sarah Abraham's wife.

NLT: And he said to Sarah, “Look, I am giving your ‘brother’ 1,000 pieces of silver in the presence of all these witnesses. This is to compensate you for any wrong I may have done to you. This will settle any claim against me, and your reputation is cleared.”

So the Lord tells Abimelech not to touch Sarah because she is Abraham's wife. And he insists the 1000 pieces of silver are to her "brother" .
Why didn't he say Husband? She told Abimelech that Abraham was her brother. So is he using her own words against her?
No.. Maybe he doesn't want them to know the Lord informed him.
scrolling up..

Gen 20:2 And Abraham said of Sarah his wife, She is my sister: and Abimelech king of Gerar sent, and took Sarah.
Gen 20:3 But God came to Abimelech in a dream by night, and said to him, Behold, thou art but a dead man, for the woman which thou hast taken; for she is a man's wife.
Gen 20:4 But Abimelech had not come near her: and he said, Lord, wilt thou slay also a righteous nation?
Gen 20:5 Said he not unto me, She is my sister? and she, even she herself said, He is my brother: in the integrity of my heart and innocency of my hands have I done this.
Gen 20:6 And God said unto him in a dream, Yea, I know that thou didst this in the integrity of thy heart; for I also withheld thee from sinning against me: therefore suffered I thee not to touch her.
Gen 20:7 Now therefore restore the man his wife; for he is a prophet, and he shall pray for thee, and thou shalt live: and if thou restore her not, know thou that thou shalt surely die, thou, and all that are thine.

In the day ye eat thereof thou shalt surely die.. thinking..

Gen 20:10 And Abimelech said unto Abraham, What sawest thou, that thou hast done this thing?
Gen 20:11 And Abraham said, Because I thought, Surely the fear of God is not in this place; and they will slay me for my wife's sake.
Gen 20:12 And yet indeed she is my sister; she is the daughter of my father, but not the daughter of my mother; and she became my wife.
Gen 20:13 And it came to pass, when God caused me to wander from my father's house, that I said unto her, This is thy kindness which thou shalt shew unto me; at every place whither we shall come, say of me, He is my brother.

NLT: And he said to Sarah, “Look, I am giving your ‘brother’ 1,000 pieces of silver in the presence of all these witnesses. This is to compensate you for any wrong I may have done to you. This will settle any claim against me, and your reputation is cleared.”

Of course this is right after Abraham saw the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah.. so he presumed that Gerar was the same without the fear of God..almost bringing damnation to that city.. Judge not before the time....
And just out of curiosity.. what did Abimelech see in a 90 year old woman?
Was it the woman or the inheritance of Abraham's through marriage to his sister?
Questions, questions.. so many questions..

Abimelech = "Melek is father" or "my father is king"
king of Gerar in Abraham's time
Gerar = "a lodging place"
a Philistine town south of Gaza, modern 'Umm'

umm.. that's what I said.. lol

Gen 10:19 And the border of the Canaanites was from Sidon, as thou comest to Gerar, H1642 unto Gaza; as thou goest, unto Sodom, and Gomorrah, and Admah, and Zeboim, even unto Lasha.

Back to Ham. Canaan.. Canaanites.. And God came to Abimelech in a dream. And Abimelech knew him. Because he knew that it was a sin to take another man's wife... Adultery is against the... law.. How did Abimelech know.. because..

So Sarah is still waiting for the appointed time..
Let's go..
next

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gen 21:1 And the LORD visited Sarah as he had said, and the LORD did unto Sarah as he had spoken.
Gen 21:2 For Sarah conceived, and bare Abraham a son in his old age, at the set time of which God had spoken to him.

NLT: She became pregnant, and she gave birth to a son for Abraham in his old age. This happened at just the time God had said it would.

What time was it?
Gen 17:21 But my covenant will I establish with Isaac, which Sarah shall bear unto thee at this set time in the next year.
Gen 18:1 And the LORD appeared unto him in the plains of Mamre: and he sat in the tent door in the heat of the day;
Gen 18:10 And he said, I will certainly return unto thee according to the time of life; and, lo, Sarah thy wife shall have a son. And Sarah heard it in the tent door, which was behind him. (this is a before rather than a later.. she was in the back.. I think this is a future prophecy but she is standing in the shadow and can't see afar off. just my opinion)

According to the time of life... spring?
Lev 25:55 For unto me the children of Israel are servants; they are my servants whom I brought forth out of the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.

guessing that Isaac was born during what would be the Exodus from Egypt.. or Passover.
The Lord is visiting Sarah and doing unto Sarah what he had spoken concerning the set time.
God already told Abraham that his people would go into captivity for 400 years and then be deliverd.
Sarah is from Babylon from where Abraham originated and left his father's house with Sarah in tow.
She is his sister/wife. Same father, different mother, we don't know who mom is. I think she was from egyptian heritage but that is a 100% guess at this time. But it would make sense if you hear.. from out of Egypt I have called my son... physically, spiritually.. totally.

Mar 4:24 And he said unto them, Take heed what ye hear: with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you: and unto you that hear shall more be given.
Mar 4:25 For he that hath, to him shall be given: and he that hath not, from him shall be taken even that which he hath.
Mar 4:26 And he said, So is the kingdom of God, as if a man should cast seed into the ground;
Mar 4:27 And should sleep, and rise night and day, and the seed should spring and grow up, he knoweth not how.
Mar 4:28 For the earth bringeth forth fruit of herself; first the blade, then the ear, after that the full corn in the ear.
Mar 4:29 But when the fruit is brought forth, immediately he putteth in the sickle, because the harvest is come.

When does the earth bringeth forth fruit? In the middle east that is.. different weather than in the US..
Just for giggles..
Figs: The leaves are thick and leathery, with a heart-shaped base and blunt rounded lobes - like the palm of a hand. The leaves fall off in winter. When cultivated, the fig gives two kinds of fruit, the first in early summer from figlets of the previous year, and the second in autumn.

Look we have a heart, and (ear) lobes and hands.. so cool.. so what did Adam and Eve cover themselves with.. fig leaves..
See no evil, hear no evil, do no evil.. monkey see monkey do..

stop it.. just keep moving..

So Sarah just had a baby..
next.

This is the 6 months difference between John and Jesus.. just thinking..

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Recap:
The Lord calls Abram out of the land of Ur which is in Babylon. Known as a flame. This is a pagan nation which worships the moon.
Ur = "flame"
city in southern Babylonia, city of the Chaldeans, centre of moon worship, home of Abraham's father, Terah, and departure point for Abraham's migration to Mesopotamia and Canaan
Joseph has a dream and tells it to his family that the sun and moon and stars bend down to worship him. Joseph'a father then says:
Gen 37:10 And he told it to his father, and to his brethren: and his father rebuked him, and said unto him, What is this dream that thou hast dreamed? Shall I and thy mother and thy brethren indeed come to bow down ourselves to thee to the earth?

Thy mother is the moon. This is moon worship or godess worship that was the center of the babylonian religion. Women were worshipped for their furtility.
Abram leaves Ur with Sarai his sister/wife. She is the daughter of her father but not her mother. We don't know who mom is.

God makes a covenant with Abram that if he walks perfect before him, God will give him land in which to be fruitful and multiply.
God tells Abram that his posterity will be as the stars of heaven for multitude. Abram questions God as to whom the heir will be seeing Sarai is barren. God promises that Abram will have a son:
Gen 12:7 And the LORD appeared unto Abram, and said, Unto thy seed will I give this land: and there builded he an altar unto the LORD, who appeared unto him.
On their travels they come to Egypt where Pharaoh takes a liking to Sarai. But God plagues Pharaoh because of Abrams wife. Pharaoh tells Abram to take his wife and leave and gives him much goods including manservants and maidservants.

God causes a deep sleep to fall on Abram and he has a dream concerning his future children. God tells him they will be taken into captivity for 400 years and they will be delivered and yet fall back again.
As they travel, now we find Sarai has a handmaid named Hagar:
Hagar = "flight"
Sarah's Egyptian slave girl, Abraham's concubine, Ishmael's mother

God promises Abram to give him land from:
Gen 15:18 In the same day the LORD made a covenant with Abram, saying, Unto thy seed have I given this land, from the river of Egypt unto the great river, the river Euphrates:

of which the description is similar to that of Eden. By boundaries and fruitfulness. Many nations also are in these lands which Abram will be among.
I call them the trees of the garden, based on a blind man in the gospel who saw men walking as trees. And when Jesus gave his sight fully, he saw them clearly. I see these as the nations which Abram inherited with the promised land.

Sarai believes that in order for God to fulfil his promise to Abram, He needs her help. So she offers Hagar her handmaid to Abram to wife, in order for Abram to have children. When Hagar conceives, her mistress Sarai is now looked down upon. Sarai becomes angry and tells Abram to make her leave. Abram tells Sarai, she is you handmaid do what you will. Sarai makes Hagar flee from the midst of them while she is still with child.
The Angel of the Lord finds Hagar and tells her to go back under submission to Sarai and to call her son Ishmael. God hears. He will be known as a wild man and his hand will be against others and their hands against him, and he will dwell among his brethren.

God makes another covenant with Abram. This is the circumcision. He is to circumcise all men in his house, both bond and free.
In that same day Abram at 99 and Ishmael at 13 are both circumcised.
God tells Abram that his covenant will not be with Ishmael it will be with the son Sarai bares. But that Ishmael will be blessed with a nation including 12 princes. He will be a multitude.
Upon hearing that Sarah shall have a child, Sarah laughs. But the Lord tells her at the set time, the time of life, Sarah shall have a son.

We are now at that time of life.
cont.

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gen 21:1 And the LORD visited Sarah as he had said, and the LORD did unto Sarah as he had spoken.
Gen 21:2 For Sarah conceived, and bare Abraham a son in his old age, at the set time of which God had spoken to him.
Gen 21:3 And Abraham called the name of his son that was born unto him, whom Sarah bare to him, Isaac.

Isaac = "he laughs"
son of Abraham by Sarah his wife and father of Jacob and Esau
laughter (i.e. mochery); Jitschak (or Isaac), son of Abraham:—Isaac.

Gen 21:4 And Abraham circumcised his son Isaac being eight days old, as God had commanded him.
Gen 21:5 And Abraham was an hundred years old, when his son Isaac was born unto him.
Gen 21:6 And Sarah said, God hath made me to laugh, so that all that hear will laugh with me.

laugh: laughter, laughing stock
laughter (in pleasure or derision):—laugh(-ed to scorn).

Gen 21:7 And she said, Who would have said unto Abraham, that Sarah should have given children suck? for I have born him a son in his old age.
Sarah was 90 years old. just saying..

Gen 21:8 And the child grew, and was weaned: and Abraham made a great feast the same day that Isaac was weaned.

Gen 21:9 And Sarah saw the son of Hagar the Egyptian, which she had born unto Abraham, mocking.
Gen 21:10 Wherefore she said unto Abraham, Cast out this bondwoman and her son: for the son of this bondwoman shall not be heir with my son, even with Isaac.
Gen 21:11 And the thing was very grievous in Abraham's sight because of his son.

and this is where Paul quotes:
Gal 4:30 Nevertheless what saith the scripture? Cast out the bondwoman and her son: for the son of the bondwoman shall not be heir with the son of the freewoman.

Paul is quoting Sarah.

Gen 21:12 And God said unto Abraham, Let it not be grievous in thy sight because of the lad, and because of thy bondwoman; in all that Sarah hath said unto thee, hearken unto her voice; for in Isaac shall thy seed be called.
Gen 21:13 And also of the son of the bondwoman will I make a nation, because he is thy seed.

God will call his son from Isaac, from the woman who came from Babylon under moon godess worship.. named Sarah. Listen to your wife.

Gen 21:14 And Abraham rose up early in the morning, and took bread, and a bottle of water, and gave it unto Hagar, putting it on her shoulder, and the child, and sent her away: and she departed, and wandered in the wilderness of Beersheba.

Beer-sheba = "well of the sevenfold oath"
a city at the south edge of Israel
well of an oath; Beer-Sheba, a place in Palestine:—Beer-shebah.

Gen 21:15 And the water was spent in the bottle, and she cast the child under one of the shrubs.
Gen 21:16 And she went, and sat her down over against him a good way off, as it were a bowshot: for she said, Let me not see the death of the child. And she sat over against him, and lift up her voice, and wept.
Gen 21:17 And God heard the voice of the lad; and the angel of God called to Hagar out of heaven, and said unto her, What aileth thee, Hagar? fear not; for God hath heard the voice of the lad where he is.
Gen 21:18 Arise, lift up the lad, and hold him in thine hand; for I will make him a great nation.
Gen 21:19 And God opened her eyes, and she saw a well of water; and she went, and filled the bottle with water, and gave the lad drink.
Gen 21:20 And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer.
Gen 21:21 And he dwelt in the wilderness of Paran: and his mother took him a wife out of the land of Egypt.

Paran = "place of caverns"
wilderness area bounded on the north by Palestine, on the west by the wilderness of Etham, on the south by the desert of Sinai, and on the east by the valley of Arabah; the exodus was through this area and probably all 18 stops were in this area

From here the road divides. Ishmael and Isaac.
I am going to follow Ishmael as far as I can go.
Most of Isaac and his seed is commonly known.
I am less familiar with Ishmael.

cont.

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What are you getting at?
The Truth.. ultimately.. I hope.
I like to study the names and names of the places and how it all fits together.
And how history has a way of repeating itself over and over..
It's something I enjoy.
Did you know that Abram was drawn out of Babylon and they worshipped the moon?
I didn't. The land that God promised Abraham and his seed is the garden of Eden?
That Abraham had 2 sons and they were both circumcised. And it was Sarah who threw the woman and her son out of the garden?
How Sarah laughed (mocked) at the Lord saying she would have a child, and then threw Ishmael out for mocking??
Hypocrite... just saying.. Things are interesting when you do a little investigating..
Must be the Sherlock Holmes in me.. :)

Get your shovel and come dig.. there's all kinds of stuff here to check out.
I only have my shovel.. and can't uncover it all... (in one day) LOL

I'm going to follow Ishmael and see where that trail leads, and then come back and do Isaac.
Isaac mostly is followed that's why I'm leaving him second.. I'm checking out the first born..

Thanks for asking :)
HUGS

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Truth.. ultimately.. I hope.
I like to study the names and names of the places and how it all fits together.
And how history has a way of repeating itself over and over..
It's something I enjoy.
Did you know that Abram was drawn out of Babylon and they worshipped the moon?
I didn't. The land that God promised Abraham and his seed is the garden of Eden?
That Abraham had 2 sons and they were both circumcised. And it was Sarah who threw the woman and her son out of the garden?
How Sarah laughed (mocked) at the Lord saying she would have a child, and then threw Ishmael out for mocking??
Hypocrite... just saying.. Things are interesting when you do a little investigating..
Must be the Sherlock Holmes in me.. :)

Get your shovel and come dig.. there's all kinds of stuff here to check out.
I only have my shovel.. and can't uncover it all... (in one day) LOL

I'm going to follow Ishmael and see where that trail leads, and then come back and do Isaac.
Isaac mostly is followed that's why I'm leaving him second.. I'm checking out the first born..

Thanks for asking :)
HUGS
I understand now.

That's cool, but Canaan was Eden?

Sarah threw her into the garden?

Check your sources better my friend.

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I understand now.

That's cool, but Canaan was Eden?

Sarah threw her into the garden?

Check your sources better my friend.
Go back and read... I been doing all the digging already
Hugs

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hugs
I use the bible as the only source. Blueletterbible.org for the hebrew lexicon for words and so far 1 google for when figs grow.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hugs
You are reading a bunch of commentary that is not scriptural.

Don't believe them, especially Strong's commentary fake redefinitions.

Only believe your Bible.

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are reading a bunch of commentary that is not scriptural.

Don't believe them, especially Strong's commentary fake redefinitions.

Only believe your Bible.
Im going to keep going nevertheless..
I appreciate your comments
Thank You
HUGS

Reactions: Truther

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ishmael..
Gen 16:11 And the angel of the LORD said unto her, Behold, thou art with child, and shalt bear a son, and shalt call his name Ishmael; because the LORD hath heard thy affliction.
Gen 16:15 And Hagar bare Abram a son: and Abram called his son's name, which Hagar bare, Ishmael.
Gen 16:16 And Abram was fourscore and six years old, when Hagar bare Ishmael to Abram.
Gen 17:18 And Abraham said unto God, O that Ishmael might live before thee!
Gen 17:20 And as for Ishmael, I have heard thee: Behold, I have blessed him, and will make him fruitful, and will multiply him exceedingly; twelve princes shall he beget, and I will make him a great nation.
Gen 17:23 And Abraham took Ishmael his son, and all that were born in his house, and all that were bought with his money, every male among the men of Abraham's house; and circumcised the flesh of their foreskin in the selfsame day, as God had said unto him.
Gen 17:25 And Ishmael his son was thirteen years old, when he was circumcised in the flesh of his foreskin.
Gen 17:26 In the selfsame day was Abraham circumcised, and Ishmael his son.

Ok we got it.. 3 times confirmed. Ishmael was circumcised in the flesh. No doubt about it.. we got 3 scriptural witnesses.
I think God is trying to make a point.. but we'll keep going.

Gen 21:9 And Sarah saw the son of Hagar the Egyptian, which she had born unto Abraham, mocking.
Gen 21:10 Wherefore she said unto Abraham, Cast out this bondwoman and her son: for the son of this bondwoman shall not be heir with my son, even with Isaac.
Gen 21:11 And the thing was very grievous in Abraham's sight because of his son.
Gen 21:12 And God said unto Abraham, Let it not be grievous in thy sight because of the lad, and because of thy bondwoman; in all that Sarah hath said unto thee, hearken unto her voice; for in Isaac shall thy seed be called.
Gen 21:13 And also of the son of the bondwoman will I make a nation, because he is thy seed.
Gen 21:14 And Abraham rose up early in the morning, and took bread, and a bottle of water, and gave it unto Hagar, putting it on her shoulder, and the child, and sent her away: and she departed, and wandered in the wilderness of Beersheba.
Gen 21:15 And the water was spent in the bottle, and she cast the child under one of the shrubs.
Gen 21:16 And she went, and sat her down over against him a good way off, as it were a bowshot: for she said, Let me not see the death of the child. And she sat over against him, and lift up her voice, and wept.
Gen 21:17 And God heard the voice of the lad; and the angel of God called to Hagar out of heaven, and said unto her, What aileth thee, Hagar? fear not; for God hath heard the voice of the lad where he is.
Gen 21:18 Arise, lift up the lad, and hold him in thine hand; for I will make him a great nation.
Gen 21:19 And God opened her eyes, and she saw a well of water; and she went, and filled the bottle with water, and gave the lad drink.
Gen 21:20 And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer.
Gen 21:21 And he dwelt in the wilderness of Paran: and his mother took him a wife out of the land of Egypt.

Beer-sheba = "well of the sevenfold oath"
a city at the south edge of Israel
well of an oath; Beer-Sheba, a place in Palestine:—Beer-shebah.

Shrub: bush, plant, shrub
a shoot (as if uttered or put forth), i.e. (generally) shrubbery:—bush, plant, shrub.

(Piel) a bowshot (participle)
to hurl, shoot
to stretch a bow, as an archer:—(bow-) shot.
to stretch out, to spread out, to extend.

Became an Archer:
be or become great, be or become many, be or become much, be or become numerous
to become many, become numerous, multiply (of people, animals, things)
a primitive root; to increase (in whatever respect):—(bring in) abundance
bowman, archer

Paran = "place of caverns"
wilderness area bounded on the north by Palestine, on the west by the wilderness of Etham, on the south by the desert of Sinai, and on the east by the valley of Arabah; the exodus was through this area and probably all 18 stops were in this area

Egypt = "land of the Copts"
a country at the northeastern section of Africa, adjacent to Palestine, and through which the Nile flows
Egyptians = "double straits"
Mitsrajim, i.e. Upper and Lower Egypt:—Egypt, Egyptians, Mizraim.

Bowman/Archer.. other verses with:
Isa 41:2 Who raised up the righteous man from the east, called him to his foot, gave the nations before him, and made him rule over kings? he gave them as the dust to his sword, and as driven stubble to his bow.
Jer 50:42 They shall hold the bow and the lance: they are cruel, and will not shew mercy: their voice shall roar like the sea, and they shall ride upon horses, every one put in array, like a man to the battle, against thee, O daughter of Babylon
Zec 9:13 When I have bent Judah for me, filled the bow with Ephraim, and raised up thy sons, O Zion, against thy sons, O Greece, and made thee as the sword of a mighty man.

Jer 51:10 The LORD hath brought forth our righteousness: come, and let us declare in Zion the work of the LORD our God.
Jer 51:11 Make bright the arrows; gather the shields: the LORD hath raised up the spirit of the kings of the Medes: for his device is against Babylon, to destroy it; because it is the vengeance of the LORD, the vengeance of his temple.

next:

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
yea, these posting by Z is and exercise in copy and paste, no real info that anyone can't find and read for themselves.

its not complicated what the Lord God established message is in the Adam to Abraham scenario.

Adam

Gen_3:19  In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.

the first place where bread is mentioned, and the sons of man are left with a life of dust to dust like the animals.

then ten generations later:
Noah

Gen_6:8  But Noah found grace in the eyes of the LORD.

the first place where Grace is mention and now all the sons of man might find grace in God's sight because they have received the life of Noah

also

Gen_9:21  And he drank of the wine, and was drunken; and he was uncovered within his tent.

this is the first that wine is mentioned.

then generations after Noah
Abram renamed Abraham also we know is the man of faith the faith all believers have:

Gen_14:18  And Melchizedek king of Salem brought forth bread and wine: and he was the priest of the most high God.

the second place where wine is mention and bread is mentioned and the first where they are mention together.

delivered by Melchizedek of which is the foreshadowing of the order the of the Lord Jesus, Paul describes.

so by the grace the sons of man can find and through the faith Abraham has.

hence now by grace through faith, and bread and wine brought by the Christ.

then there is:

Abraham the father Isaac the beloved son who is offered, and Jacob who has 12 sons representing the 12 apostles who are born of the Holy Spirit on Pentecost. hence the God of, Abraham Isaac and Jacob.

it should be noted that the ten generations as in Noah perfect in his generation is the fulfillment of God's choice. not man's not Noah's or Abram's.

so the info of Grace and Faith bread and wine and Father Son and Holy Ghost is old information.

Reactions: Ziggy

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gen 25:7 And these are the days of the years of Abraham's life which he lived, an hundred threescore and fifteen years.
Gen 25:8 Then Abraham gave up the ghost, and died in a good old age, an old man, and full of years; and was gathered to his people.
Gen 25:9 And his sons Isaac and Ishmael buried him in the cave of Machpelah, in the field of Ephron the son of Zohar the Hittite, which is before Mamre;
Gen 25:10 The field which Abraham purchased of the sons of Heth: there was Abraham buried, and Sarah his wife.
Gen 25:11 And it came to pass after the death of Abraham, that God blessed his son Isaac; and Isaac dwelt by the well Lahairoi.

Machpelah = "double" or "portion"
the location of a burial cave for the patriarchs, near Hebron
a fold; Makpelah, a place in Palestine:—Machpelah.
Mixed Company:
Gen 50:4 And when the days of his mourning were past, Joseph spake unto the house of Pharaoh, saying, If now I have found grace in your eyes, speak, I pray you, in the ears of Pharaoh, saying,
Gen 50:5 My father made me swear, saying, Lo, I die: in my grave which I have digged for me in the land of Canaan, there shalt thou bury me. Now therefore let me go up, I pray thee, and bury my father, and I will come again.
Gen 50:6 And Pharaoh said, Go up, and bury thy father, according as he made thee swear.
Gen 50:7 And Joseph went up to bury his father: and with him went up all the servants of Pharaoh, the elders of his house, and all the elders of the land of Egypt,
Gen 50:8 And all the house of Joseph, and his brethren, and his father's house: only their little ones, and their flocks, and their herds, they left in the land of Goshen.
Gen 50:9 And there went up with him both chariots and horsemen: and it was a very great company.
Gen 50:10 And they came to the threshingfloor of Atad, which is beyond Jordan, and there they mourned with a great and very sore lamentation: and he made a mourning for his father seven days.
Gen 50:11 And when the inhabitants of the land, the Canaanites, saw the mourning in the floor of Atad, they said, This is a grievous mourning to the Egyptians: wherefore the name of it was called Abelmizraim, which is beyond Jordan.
Gen 50:12 And his sons did unto him according as he commanded them:
Gen 50:13 For his sons carried him into the land of Canaan, and buried him in the cave of the field of Machpelah, which Abraham bought with the field for a possession of a buryingplace of Ephron the Hittite, before Mamre.
Gen 50:14 And Joseph returned into Egypt, he, and his brethren, and all that went up with him to bury his father, after he had buried his father.

So Hagar takes Ishmael to Egypt and finds him a wife. And Joseph's father Isaac dies and both houses come together to bury "their" dead, in the same field of Machpelah, which Abraham baught from Heth in Canaan. Big family... Look at the stars.. look how they shine for you...

Ephron = "fawn-like"
a Hittite, son of Zohar and the one from whom Abraham bought the field and cave of Machpelah
a city on the borders of Benjamin
a mountain on the northern border of Judah
probably a variation of H6082; gazelle

Zohar = "tawny"
from the same as H6713; whiteness; Tsochar, the name of a Hittite and of an Israelite:—Zohar

Hittite = "descendant of Heth"
the nation descended from Heth, the 2nd son of Canaan; once inhabitants of central Anatolia (modern Turkey), later in north Lebanon
fear, terror

Mamre = "strength" or "fatness"
an Amorite who allied himself with Abram
an oak grove on Mamre's land in Palestine where Abraham dwelt
a place near Abraham's burial place, apparently identified with Hebron
mam-ray'; from H4754(in the sense of vigor); lusty; Mamre, an Amorite:—Mamre.

Heth = "terror"
a son of Canaan and the progenitor of the Hittites
Gen 25:10 The field which Abraham purchased of the sons of Heth: H2845 there was Abraham buried, and Sarah his wife.
Gen 27:46 And Rebekah said to Isaac, I am weary of my life because of the daughters of Heth: H2845 if Jacob take a wife of the daughters of Heth, H2845 such as these which are of the daughters of the land, what good shall my life do me?

They say the head of the household is the man.... sometimes I wonder.. hmm.

Isaac dwelt by the well Lahairoi.
Beer-lahai-roi = "well of the Living One seeing me"
a well west of Kadesh, south of Israel
well of a living (One) my Seer; Beer-Lachai-Roi, a place in the Desert:—Beer-lahai-roi.
"well of the life of vision"

The Princes of Ishmael:
cont.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gen 25:7 And these are the days of the years of Abraham's life which he lived, an hundred threescore and fifteen years.
Gen 25:8 Then Abraham gave up the ghost, and died in a good old age, an old man, and full of years; and was gathered to his people.
Gen 25:9 And his sons Isaac and Ishmael buried him in the cave of Machpelah, in the field of Ephron the son of Zohar the Hittite, which is before Mamre;
Gen 25:10 The field which Abraham purchased of the sons of Heth: there was Abraham buried, and Sarah his wife.
Gen 25:11 And it came to pass after the death of Abraham, that God blessed his son Isaac; and Isaac dwelt by the well Lahairoi.

Machpelah = "double" or "portion"
the location of a burial cave for the patriarchs, near Hebron
a fold; Makpelah, a place in Palestine:—Machpelah.
Mixed Company:
Gen 50:4 And when the days of his mourning were past, Joseph spake unto the house of Pharaoh, saying, If now I have found grace in your eyes, speak, I pray you, in the ears of Pharaoh, saying,
Gen 50:5 My father made me swear, saying, Lo, I die: in my grave which I have digged for me in the land of Canaan, there shalt thou bury me. Now therefore let me go up, I pray thee, and bury my father, and I will come again.
Gen 50:6 And Pharaoh said, Go up, and bury thy father, according as he made thee swear.
Gen 50:7 And Joseph went up to bury his father: and with him went up all the servants of Pharaoh, the elders of his house, and all the elders of the land of Egypt,
Gen 50:8 And all the house of Joseph, and his brethren, and his father's house: only their little ones, and their flocks, and their herds, they left in the land of Goshen.
Gen 50:9 And there went up with him both chariots and horsemen: and it was a very great company.
Gen 50:10 And they came to the threshingfloor of Atad, which is beyond Jordan, and there they mourned with a great and very sore lamentation: and he made a mourning for his father seven days.
Gen 50:11 And when the inhabitants of the land, the Canaanites, saw the mourning in the floor of Atad, they said, This is a grievous mourning to the Egyptians: wherefore the name of it was called Abelmizraim, which is beyond Jordan.
Gen 50:12 And his sons did unto him according as he commanded them:
Gen 50:13 For his sons carried him into the land of Canaan, and buried him in the cave of the field of Machpelah, which Abraham bought with the field for a possession of a buryingplace of Ephron the Hittite, before Mamre.
Gen 50:14 And Joseph returned into Egypt, he, and his brethren, and all that went up with him to bury his father, after he had buried his father.

So Hagar takes Ishmael to Egypt and finds him a wife. And Joseph's father Isaac dies and both houses come together to bury "their" dead, in the same field of Machpelah, which Abraham baught from Heth in Canaan. Big family... Look at the stars.. look how they shine for you...

Ephron = "fawn-like"
a Hittite, son of Zohar and the one from whom Abraham bought the field and cave of Machpelah
a city on the borders of Benjamin
a mountain on the northern border of Judah
probably a variation of H6082; gazelle

Zohar = "tawny"
from the same as H6713; whiteness; Tsochar, the name of a Hittite and of an Israelite:—Zohar

Hittite = "descendant of Heth"
the nation descended from Heth, the 2nd son of Canaan; once inhabitants of central Anatolia (modern Turkey), later in north Lebanon
fear, terror

Mamre = "strength" or "fatness"
an Amorite who allied himself with Abram
an oak grove on Mamre's land in Palestine where Abraham dwelt
a place near Abraham's burial place, apparently identified with Hebron
mam-ray'; from H4754(in the sense of vigor); lusty; Mamre, an Amorite:—Mamre.

Heth = "terror"
a son of Canaan and the progenitor of the Hittites
Gen 25:10 The field which Abraham purchased of the sons of Heth: H2845 there was Abraham buried, and Sarah his wife.
Gen 27:46 And Rebekah said to Isaac, I am weary of my life because of the daughters of Heth: H2845 if Jacob take a wife of the daughters of Heth, H2845 such as these which are of the daughters of the land, what good shall my life do me?

They say the head of the household is the man.... sometimes I wonder.. hmm.

Isaac dwelt by the well Lahairoi.
Beer-lahai-roi = "well of the Living One seeing me"
a well west of Kadesh, south of Israel
well of a living (One) my Seer; Beer-Lachai-Roi, a place in the Desert:—Beer-lahai-roi.
"well of the life of vision"

The Princes of Ishmael:
cont.

You are all over the ancient map! what specifically are you trying to get at or is this just an exercise in how much you can ramble?

Reactions: Ziggy

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I like to ramble..
:)
Thank You
Hugs

Then realize most of your writings will be ignored by most! Which is sad, for if one takes the time to write something, they should want it read and appreciated or discussed and debated etc. Loose ramblings make people ignore any contribution you may wish to make.

Let your ramblings be on pen and paper and keep your reputation here intact!

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gen 25:12 Now these are the generations of Ishmael, Abraham's son, whom Hagar the Egyptian, Sarah's handmaid, bare unto Abraham:
Gen 25:13 And these are the names of the sons of Ishmael, by their names, according to their generations: the firstborn of Ishmael, Nebajoth; and Kedar, and Adbeel, and Mibsam,
Gen 25:14 And Mishma, and Dumah, and Massa,
Gen 25:15 Hadar, and Tema, Jetur, Naphish, and Kedemah:
Gen 25:16 These are the sons of Ishmael, and these are their names, by their towns, and by their castles; twelve princes according to their nations.
Gen 25:17 And these are the years of the life of Ishmael, an hundred and thirty and seven years: and he gave up the ghost and died; and was gathered unto his people.
Gen 25:18 And they dwelt from Havilah unto Shur, that is before Egypt, as thou goest toward Assyria: and he died in the presence of all his brethren.

The 12 Princes of Ishmael:

Nebaioth or Nebajoth = "heights"
a son of Ishmael
people descended from 1 called the Nabateans with their capital at Petra
feminine plural from H5107; fruitfulnesses; Nebajoth, a son of Ismael, and the country settled by him:—Nebaioth, Nebajoth.
Prophetess, wife of a prophet, also of a Bishop or Presbyter
High Places

Kedar = "dark"
a son of Ishmael
the descendants of Kedar
dusky (of the skin or the tent); Kedar, a son of Ishmael; also (collectively) Bedouin (as his descendants or representatives):—Kedar.
black skin, black skinned man

Adbeel = "chastened of God"
third son of Ishmael and grandson of Abraham
(in the sense of chastisement) and H410; disciplined of God; Adbeel, a son of Ishmael:—Adbeel.
"miracle of God"

Mibsam = "sweet odour"
a son of Ishmael
a descendant of Simeon
fragrant; Mibsam, the name of an Ishmaelite and of an Israelite:—Mibsam.

Mishma = "a hearing"
one of the 12 sons of Ishmael
son of Mibsam of the family of Simeon
hearing, what is heard

Dumah = "silence"
son of Ishmael and most probably the founder of the Ishmaelite tribe of Arabia
a town in the mountainous district of Judah, near Hebron
a mystical name of Edom indicating death and ruin
silence, place of silence
poetic use of, Hades

Massa = "burden"
a son of Ishmael
a bearing, a carrying
that could not be carried

Hadar = "honour"
an Edomite king
khad-ar'; another form for H2315 chamber; Chadar, an Ishmaelite:—Hadar.

Tema = "desert"
the 9th son of Ishmael
the land settled by Tema the son of Ishmael
a desert, an untilled district

Jetur = "enclosed"
a son of Ishmael whose descendants warred with Israel east of the Jordan
also called 'Ituraea'
encircled (i.e. inclosed); Jetur, a son of Ishmael:—Jetur.
an enclosure

Naphish = "refreshment"
the next to last son of Ishmael
an Arabian tribe
refreshed; Naphish, a son of Ishmael, and his posterity:—Naphish.

Kedemah = "original"
the youngest son of Ishmael
precedence; Kedemah, a son of Ishmael:—Kedemah.
eastward

Gen 25:16 These are the sons of Ishmael, and these are their names, by their towns, and by their castles; twelve princes according to their nations.
Gen 25:1 7And these are the years of the life of Ishmael, an hundred and thirty and seven years: and he gave up the ghost and died; and was gathered unto his people.
Gen 25:18 And they dwelt from Havilah unto Shur, that is before Egypt, as thou goest toward Assyria: and he died in the presence of all his brethren.

All Ishmael's brethren would be Isaac.. and all.. Just like Jacob.

Kedar = "dark"
Adbeel = "chastened of God"
Mibsam = "sweet odour"
Mishma = "a hearing"
Dumah = "silence"
Massa = "burden"
Hadar = "honour"
Tema = "desert"
Jetur = "enclosed"
Naphish = "refreshment"
Kedemah = "original"

Nebaioth..
cont.

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then realize most of your writings will be ignored by most! Which is sad, for if one takes the time to write something, they should want it read and appreciated or discussed and debated etc. Loose ramblings make people ignore any contribution you may wish to make.

Let your ramblings be on pen and paper and keep your reputation here intact!
what reputation?
By all means.. please.. ignore..
I'm working here.
Please stop throwing wrenches in my machine, thank you.

Much Love
HUGS

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
a son of Ishmael
people descended from 1 called the Nabateans with their capital at Petra
Nᵉbâyôth; feminine plural from H5107; fruitfulnesses; Nebajoth, a son of Ismael, and the country settled by him:—Nebaioth, Nebajoth.
From root word: noob; a primitive root; to germinate, i.e. (figuratively) to (causatively, make) flourish; also (of words), to utter:—bring forth (fruit), make cheerful, increase.

Gen 28:8 And Esau seeing that the daughters of Canaan pleased not Isaac his father;
Gen 28:9 Then went Esau unto Ishmael, and took unto the wives which he had Mahalath the daughter of Ishmael Abraham's son, the sister of Nebajoth, to be his wife.

Esau = "hairy"
eldest son of Isaac and Rebecca and twin brother of Jacob; sold the birthright for food when he was hungry and the divine blessing went to Jacob; progenitor of the Arab peoples
in the original sense of handling; rough (i.e. sensibly felt); Esav, a son of Isaac, including his posterity:—Esau.

Mahalath = "stringed instrument"
daughter of Jerimoth son of king David and wife, evidently the 1st, of king Rehoboam the grandson of king David
daughter of Ishmael and wife of Esau
makh-al-ath'; the same as H4257; sickness; Machalath, the name of an Ishmaelitess and of an Israelitess:—Mahalath.
harp:
Psa 53:1 [[To the chief Musician upon Mahalath, H4257 Maschil, A Psalm of David.]] The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Corrupt are they, and have done abominable iniquity: there is none that doeth good.
Psa 88:1 [[A Song or Psalm for the sons of Korah, to the chief Musician upon Mahalath H4257 Leannoth, Maschil of Heman the Ezrahite.]] O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee:

Gen 36:1 Now these are the generations of Esau, who is Edom.
Gen 36:2 Esau took his wives of the daughters of Canaan; Adah the daughter of Elon the Hittite, and Aholibamah the daughter of Anah the daughter of Zibeon the Hivite;
Gen 36:3 And Bashemath Ishmael's daughter, sister of Nebajoth.
Gen 36:4 And Adah bare to Esau Eliphaz; and Bashemath bare Reuel;
Gen 36:5 And Aholibamah bare Jeush, and Jaalam, and Korah: these are the sons of Esau, which were born unto him in the land of Canaan.

Bashemath or Basmath = "spice"
Hittite wife of Esau, daughter of Ishmael, sister of Nebaioth
daughter of Solomon, wife of Ahimaaz, one of Solomon's commissariat officers
bos-math'; feminine of H1314 (the second form); fragrance; Bosmath, the name of a wife of Esau, and of a daughter of Solomon:—Bashemath, Basmath.
"sweet smelling"

Reuel or Raguel = "friend of God"
a son of Esau by his wife Bashemath, the sister of Ishmael
the father-in-law of Moses
also 'Jethro'
father of Eliasaph, the leader of the tribe of Gad at the time of the census at Sinai
a Benjamite, ancestor of Elah
reh-oo-ale'; from the same as H7466 and H410; friend of God; Reuel, the name of Moses' father-in-law, also of an Edomite and an Israelite:—Raguel, Reuel.

Gen 36:13 And these are the sons of Reuel; Nahath, and Zerah, Shammah, and Mizzah: these were the sons of Bashemath Esau's wife.
Gen 36:17 And these are the sons of Reuel H7467 Esau's son; duke Nahath, duke Zerah, duke Shammah, duke Mizzah: these are the dukes that came of Reuel H7467 in the land of Edom; these are the sons of Bashemath Esau's wife.

duke: captain, duke, (chief) friend, governor, guide, ox.
familiar; a friend, also gentle; hence, a bullock (as being tame; applied, although masculine, to a cow); and so, a chieftain (as notable, like neat cattle)

cont.