Isaac as a Type of Christ

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Correct...and God revealed the pattern of him in others which is the meaning and purpose of a type.

It's interesting in all our interactions you have not once spoken to the subject of types.

I sense a resistance in you which has me asking why?

Here is another type/ensample of Christ

Abraham is a "type" of all who believe - without his faith you cannot be saved.

F2F
You speak of things I have not heard of. It makes it hard to comment. Perhaps this is the "resistance" you mentioned.

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I see this as a teaching moment for you both @Bob Estey @BlessedPeace

You have symbols (and figures) and types and both represent something else. However, a type represents something to come (future), while a symbol has no time reference. A type is fulfilled at a specific time by its anti-type.

Example:

The tabernacle in the wilderness was a type of Christ; as a type, no other tabernacle resembled and pointed forward to Christ. On the other hand in speaking of Christ as a lion, any lion can be thought of as depicting a certain characteristic of Christ.

Now the example of Christ being the Lion of the Tribe of Judah also has a future fulfillment so you could say the Lion is a symbol & type of Christ.

Rather simple really.

F2F

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The inn in the Parable of the Good Samaritan could be seen a type of the church which should be full believers being nourished by the work of the Spirit.

It's the hidden things which belong to God and its our delight to discover them!

@Bob Estey @BlessedPeace

If you are not able or willing to discern the figure/type/ensample then you must believe God was wrong to reveal them.

:IDK:
As I said in my last post, you speak of things unfamiliar to me. Figure? Type? Ensample? Twice you've mentioned "ensample." What is "ensample"?

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You speak of things I have not heard of. It makes it hard to comment. Perhaps this is the "resistance" you mentioned.
Wow - that genuinely surprises me as the Word is jammed full of types, anti-types, en-samples, allegories, figures of speech and symbols.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I see this as a teaching moment for you both @Bob Estey @BlessedPeace

You have symbols (and figures) and types and both represent something else. However, a type represents something to come (future), while a symbol has no time reference. A type is fulfilled at a specific time by its anti-type.

Example:

The tabernacle in the wilderness was a type of Christ; as a type, no other tabernacle resembled and pointed forward to Christ. On the other hand in speaking of Christ as a lion, any lion can be thought of as depicting a certain characteristic of Christ.

Now the example of Christ being the Lion of the Tribe of Judah also has a future fulfillment so you could say the Lion is a symbol & type of Christ.

Rather simple really.

F2F
I think life is rather simple - do as the Lord told you to do. He knows what's best for us. You are introducing things that seem to me to distract from that.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wow - that genuinely surprises me as the Word is jammed full of types, anti-types, en-samples, allegories, figures of speech and symbols.
You seem to be taking the simple concept of obeying the Lord, and making it very complex. I don't want to stray from what I have learned, because what I have learned seems to keep me safe and reasonably happy.

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
As I said in my last post, you speak of things unfamiliar to me. Figure? Type? Ensample? Twice you've mentioned "ensample." What is "ensample"?
Okay used a number of times in the Bible.

“Now all these things happened unto them for ensamples” (1 Corinthians 10:11) now reads, “Now these things happened to them as a warning.” “Lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief” (Hebrews 4:11) means “that no one fall by the same sort of disobedience.” In Hebrews 8:5 “Who serve unto the example and shadow of heavenly things” is revised to read “They serve a copy and shadow of the heavenly sanctuary.” Timothy is urged, not to “be thou an example of the believers,” but to “set the believers an example” (1 Timothy 4:12). In Matthew 1:19 “not willing to make her a publick example” is worded “unwilling to put her to shame.” The Greek verb in this case appears also in Hebrews 6:6, where it is translated by KJ “put him to an open shame” and by RSV “hold him up to contempt.”

It speaks to the "reason" the previous things were recorded for us to learn from.

F2F

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I think life is rather simple - do as the Lord told you to do. He knows what's best for us. You are introducing things that seem to me to distract from that.
No, God recorded these for your learning - if you are saying you are not interested in God's methods that's between you and Him.

F2F

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You seem to be taking the simple concept of obeying the Lord, and making it very complex. I don't want to stray from what I have learned, because what I have learned seems to keep me safe and reasonably happy.
No, these are tools God has provided to His Children to grow in the knowledge of Jesus Christ - what I'm sensing from you is a preferred "dumbed down" gospel, which possibly speaks to a lazy mind.

Are you saying this?

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
@Bob Estey also remember it was you who said in your first post "Isaac is not a type of Christ" and now I understand why you said that, because you didn't understand the word "type", in terms of it meaning Isaac's life is a pattern, which reflects the future Christ. i.e Isaac was a Promised son (miraculous) just as Christ was! - they share this in common, which is why it can be said Christ's existence can be seen in the life and circumstance of Isaac's life. In other words, with hindsight you can see the Work God was doing in Abraham was the same work He was doing in Himself.

This knowledge strengthens faith and reveals His Providence.

F2F

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, God recorded these for your learning - if you are saying you are not interested in God's methods that's between you and Him.

F2F
There are only two commandments - Love God with all your heart, mind, and soul, and love your neighbor as yourself. I think two is enough.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, these are tools God has provided to His Children to grow in the knowledge of Jesus Christ - what I'm sensing from you is a preferred "dumbed down" gospel, which possibly speaks to a lazy mind.

Are you saying this?
No. I'm saying that if you've found peace, then why keep looking for it?

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Bob Estey also remember it was you who said in your first post "Isaac is not a type of Christ" and now I understand why you said that, because you didn't understand the word "type", in terms of it meaning Isaac's life is a pattern, which reflects the future Christ. i.e Isaac was a Promised son (miraculous) just as Christ was! - they share this in common, which is why it can be said Christ's existence can be seen in the life and circumstance of Isaac's life. In other words, with hindsight you can see the Work God was doing in Abraham was the same work He was doing in Himself.

This knowledge strengthens faith and reveals His Providence.

F2F
I don't know of anyone besides Jesus who didn't sin - and then on top of that, was murdered.

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
There are only two commandments - Love God with all your heart, mind, and soul, and love your neighbor as yourself. I think two is enough.
lol - I can see you are not understanding - all good let leave it be!

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
No. I'm saying that if you've found peace, then why keep looking for it?
Again, you present as one who "thinks" he has enough. Christ taught you more than that! Some heed his call others rest in the flesh.
F2F

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Read Matthew 4:17. Is there anywhere you'd rather go than heaven?
Wow already you need instruction and its the first quote you have made!

kingdom "of" heaven is NOT kingdom "in" heaven!

Christ is bringing that Kingdom to earth hence "blessed are the meek for they shall inherit the earth"

Much to learn Bob.

F2F

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wow already you need instruction and its the first quote you have made!

kingdom "of" heaven is NOT kingdom "in" heaven!

Christ is bringing that Kingdom to earth hence "blessed are the meek for they shall inherit the earth"

Much to learn Bob.

F2F
No, I don't.