it will be done for them

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Vince

Feb 20, 2019
Ft Worth
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
Why pray "if it be thy will"?
It says they must ask. I am assuming that would be in prayer. It says nothing about gods will. It says these believers will get what they ask for.

D

Dave L

It says they must ask. I am assuming that would be in prayer. It says nothing about gods will. It says these believers will get what they ask for.
But why pray for something he clearly says he won't answer?

D

Dave L

Where does he say this? If it does say this then why does Jesus tell them to pray like this?
Many pray not according to God's plan and they do not receive. But all who do will receive eventually.

Vince

Feb 20, 2019
Ft Worth
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
Many pray not according to God's plan and they do not receive. But all who do will receive eventually.
Where are the bible verses to back this up and why don't they contradict Luke 6?

D

Dave L

Where are the bible verses to back this up and why don't they contradict Luke 6?
Any believer knows you must balance one scripture against another to get the full meaning sometimes.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Truly, I say to you, whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven. Again I say to you, if two of you agree on earth about anything they ask, it will be done for them by my Father in heaven. For where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I among them.” Mat 18:18-20 ESV

This seems to be demonstrably untrue? If this is true then why is there still poverty, homelessness, disease etc.? Surely two Christians have prayed together about these things in the last 2000 years.

"This seems to be demonstrably untrue? If this is true then why is there still poverty, homelessness, disease etc.? Surely two Christians have prayed together about these things in the last 2000 years."

Jesus promised much trial and tribulation, sickness, pain, sorrow in this world and, He said He would be there WITH us as we go through these things. He never promised to remove our trials, but to give strength and open doors (and boy have I ignored lots of those doors, or just did not recognize them at the time) But then, I could be taking that verse totally out of context because, Jesus is with us always (Christians) so, is He not there when we pray alone??! Hmmm....new thread? @"ByGrace" @Pearl @Butterfly , Buehler? Anyone? :D

Reactions: Dave L and Pearl

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I have received prayer for healing and have been healed. I have received prayed for healing and not been healed. Perhaps our belief is not strong enough. We believe we are freed from sin when we come to Jesus but it takes us longer that we are freed from sickness too. Smith Wigglesworth used to say, 'Only believe.'

Reactions: Dave L and Nancy
B

Butterfly

Yes, I wouldn't mind looking into that verse a bit more, came up some years ago when I was getting flashbacks - the pastor was going to pray for binding so that I could be released from experiencing them- but we reflected on it and both realised that God was in fact using the flash backs to give me understanding of my past, so I declined the prayer. I wouldn't say I understand it all myself X
Rita

Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Many times Christians: "... ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts." (OR-we could be asking for something that is not good for us or someone else...)
"If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you."

Maybe this also comes into play with the two or three gathered verse.

Evidence of two or three witnesses follows the guideline in Deut. 19:15 and refers to witnesses of the subsequent confrontation described in this verse, not necessarily eyewitnesses to the original offense.” And 18:20, “Jesus affirms that he will be divinely present among his disciples as they seek unity in rendering decisions, which is rightly understood also as an affirmation of omnipresence and therefore of deity.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Yes, I wouldn't mind looking into that verse a bit more, came up some years ago when I was getting flashbacks - the pastor was going to pray for binding so that I could be released from experiencing them- but we reflected on it and both realised that God was in fact using the flash backs to give me understanding of my past, so I declined the prayer. I wouldn't say I understand it all myself X
Rita
" Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee." (Psalm 119.11)

The Lord uses our minds and memories in order that we can clearly recall Scripture to our blessing in Christ; and it's good to be prayerfully exercised in the Scriptures.

Reactions: Pearl

Vince

Feb 20, 2019
Ft Worth
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
"This seems to be demonstrably untrue? If this is true then why is there still poverty, homelessness, disease etc.? Surely two Christians have prayed together about these things in the last 2000 years."

Jesus promised much trial and tribulation, sickness, pain, sorrow in this world and, He said He would be there WITH us as we go through these things. He never promised to remove our trials, but to give strength and open doors (and boy have I ignored lots of those doors, or just did not recognize them at the time) But then, I could be taking that verse totally out of context because, Jesus is with us always (Christians) so, is He not there when we pray alone??! Hmmm....new thread? @"ByGrace" @Pearl @Butterfly , Buehler? Anyone? :D
He is promising that he will do anything you ask if two followers agree in this verse. Either Christians are not agreeing on helping the poor for example or this passage is untrue.

Talking about trials on earth; If you could stop a person from molesting a child would you? The god of the bible either thinks it is OK or he will punish the person after the fact. I believe you are more moral than this.