Jesus: our Rest, Truth, and Reward

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
OK, just to be clear, no yard work, no doing the dishes, cooking travel, making fires, all that?

Much love!
None of that. The Bible is for thinking people. The activities that were forbidden by God (not Pharisees, not Pharisees, not Pharisees - do i need to repeat that?)...FORBIDDEN BY GOD were activities that were laborious and took the mind away from Him to other things on that day. Making a fire, working the field, cooking, etc. are obviously MAJOR DISTRACTIONS from God...so He said don't do that on the Sabbath.

Imagine a Bride in the middle of her wedding getting a mop bucket and mopping the hall..instead of FOCUSING on her beloved. How would he feel?

The Sabbath is the one day a week when God meets with His bride in a SPECIAL way that is not possible during the rest of the week due to His commandment that "six days thou shalt do all thy labor and all thy work" - days filled with distractions, problems, trials, etc. from sun up to sundown and there is little time to pray, study, work in His field...and when He comes to meet with us on Sabbath, all the churches are closed, all the Christians are doing any thing and everything but RESTING WITH HIM, studying, and ministering to others.

So, no I leave all that for the rest of the week...emergency allowances remain, though, but are very very rare, as rare as an ox in a ditch. You should try it, bro, and I GUARANTEE once you make it a habit, you'll NEVER go back to the old way again, no matter how much double time they offer you!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
None of that. The Bible is for thinking people. The activities that were forbidden by God (not Pharisees, not Pharisees, not Pharisees - do i need to repeat that?)...FORBIDDEN BY GOD were activities that were laborious and took the mind away from Him to other things on that day. Making a fire, working the field, cooking, etc. are obviously MAJOR DISTRACTIONS from God...so He said don't do that on the Sabbath.

Imagine a Bride in the middle of her wedding getting a mop bucket and mopping the hall..instead of FOCUSING on her beloved. How would he feel?

The Sabbath is the one day a week when God meets with His bride in a SPECIAL way that is not possible during the rest of the week due to His commandment that "six days thou shalt do all thy labor and all thy work" - days filled with distractions, problems, trials, etc. from sun up to sundown and there is little time to pray, study, work in His field...and when He comes to meet with us on Sabbath, all the churches are closed, all the Christians are doing any thing and everything but RESTING WITH HIM, studying, and ministering to others.

So, no I leave all that for the rest of the week...emergency allowances remain, though, but are very very rare, as rare as an ox in a ditch. You should try it, bro, and I GUARANTEE once you make it a habit, you'll NEVER go back to the old way again, no matter how much double time they offer you!
I don't work weekends, so that's not an issue.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear you are actually then keeping All the requirements of the Actual Sabbath as commanded in the Law. Pretty much everyone I speak with on this topic turns out to actually keep parts of the Sabbath, and then justifies those parts they do not. So I commend you, brother! And I'm not just saying that, I mean it!

Fact is, while I disagree over the requirement, I have no issue with the practice if in the right heart, and you sure seem to display that also, it's the enjoyment of our loving God in intimate relationship.

It's difficult to imagine though that there is some intimacy I can have with God on a Saturday that I can't or don't have on every other day, at every other time. And times of deep fellowship with God come on all days, as we center our thoughts on God.

Trust me, though, I certainly enjoy and profit from extended times of Bible and prayer and meditation on the Scriptures, and sharing the same with others. It is wonderful, and for a full day wonderful.

Much love!

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't work weekends, so that's not an issue.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear you are actually then keeping All the requirements of the Actual Sabbath as commanded in the Law. Pretty much everyone I speak with on this topic turns out to actually keep parts of the Sabbath, and then justifies those parts they do not. So I commend you, brother! And I'm not just saying that, I mean it!

Fact is, while I disagree over the requirement, I have no issue with the practice if in the right heart, and you sure seem to display that also, it's the enjoyment of our loving God in intimate relationship.

It's difficult to imagine though that there is some intimacy I can have with God on a Saturday that I can't or don't have on every other day, at every other time. And times of deep fellowship with God come on all days, as we center our thoughts on God.

Trust me, though, I certainly enjoy and profit from extended times of Bible and prayer and meditation on the Scriptures, and sharing the same with others. It is wonderful, and for a full day wonderful.

Much love!
It's not just about "intimacy"...it's about "holy". The day is supposed to be "set aside for holy use"...which is what a "holy" thing is. The "tithe" is called holy. The marriage bed is holy. Christians are to be holy. And the Sabbath is holy - we're not supposed to treat the the seventh day in the same manner as the rest of the week, because by observing it, we show the world that is full of gods that we worship the CREATOR, the One who made heaven, Earth, the sea, and all that in them is. :)

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's not just about "intimacy"...it's about "holy". The day is supposed to be "set aside for holy use"...which is what a "holy" thing is. The "tithe" is called holy. The marriage bed is holy. Christians are to be holy. And the Sabbath is holy - we're not supposed to treat the the seventh day in the same manner as the rest of the week, because by observing it, we show the world that is full of gods that we worship the CREATOR, the One who made heaven, Earth, the sea, and all that in them is. :)
But every minute of every day is holy.

All I do is unto God, and by His grace, in me by faith, not be holy one day of the week, but all the time. All the time holy, all the time at rest.

Exodus 31:13 "Speak thou also unto the children of Israel, saying, Verily my sabbaths ye shall keep: for it is a sign between me and you throughout your generations; that ye may know that I am the Lord that doth sanctify you."

That you may know, that it's not you, all God.

We don't work so that we can know that it's God, not us, Who sanctifies us. But not in the material, outside in, as in the Covenant made between God and Israel at Horeb, of which the gentiles have no part (See Ephesians 2 on that), but in the spiritual way taught in the New Testament, a complete rest, the total cessation of all labor, for all time. Oh how sweet that sounds! It is very sweet indeed!

I don't understand what makes one day different in terms of fellowship, and holiness, and fruitfulness in Christ.

But to show the world something about God, aren't we, His children, told that it is by love for others that they know we are of God?

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi @Phoneman777 ,

Good provocative ideas to think about!

Intimacy and holiness.

Being holy before God, the conscience is clear, and we can freely have intimacy.

Being intimate with God, we never want to go anywhere else, and we remain holy.

Much love!

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But every minute of every day is holy.
While that sounds profound, there's not a text to support that, my friend :) The first six days of the week are not holy, they are for work...but the seventh day is the Sabbath (holy) of the Lord.

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi @Phoneman777 ,

Good provocative ideas to think about!

Intimacy and holiness.

Being holy before God, the conscience is clear, and we can freely have intimacy.

Being intimate with God, we never want to go anywhere else, and we remain holy.

Much love!
Ever wonder how come Isaiah and Daniel and everyone always fall down in fear of death when they found themselves in the direct presence of God? I can't imagine what that must be like.

Reactions: marks

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ever wonder how come Isaiah and Daniel and everyone always fall down in fear of death when they found themselves in the direct presence of God? I can't imagine what that must be like.
Not to mention John, even just with an angel!

I cannot imagine either!

Even John, the disciple whom Jesus loved, the 'apostle of love', fell down as dead! Until Jesus reminded him to not be afraid.

Even so, much better to be God's spirit child, much better than before the New Covenant!

Much love!

Reactions: Phoneman777

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Seeing God face to face is so overwhelming and real, it is too much for us to bear

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
While that sounds profound, there's not a text to support that, my friend :) The first six days of the week are not holy, they are for work...but the seventh day is the Sabbath (holy) of the Lord.
When does Be ye holy as I am holy stop?

Hebrews informs my view on the Sabbath, in that we have ceased from our works, completely, to be holy, completely. So all days are Sabbath days, because I am that way inside, not one day being a Sabbath day, somehow different from the others.

Now instead of not working, I love. Hopefully! But I fear I'm just repeating myself, generally that means I don't have much more to say.

:)

Much love!

Reactions: aspen

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When does Be ye holy as I am holy stop?

Hebrews informs my view on the Sabbath, in that we have ceased from our works, completely, to be holy, completely. So all days are Sabbath days, because I am that way inside, not one day being a Sabbath day, somehow different from the others.

Now instead of not working, I love. Hopefully! But I fear I'm just repeating myself, generally that means I don't have much more to say.

:)

Much love!
I think there's a diff between a person being holy and the time in which that person exists being holy, right? If we check the Bible, we see that God desires the saints to be holy, He's made the Sabbath holy, but not the rest of the week...it's for daily work

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think there's a diff between a person being holy and the time in which that person exists being holy, right? If we check the Bible, we see that God desires the saints to be holy, He's made the Sabbath holy, but not the rest of the week...it's for daily work
When is our time not holy? What is there that we are not to give over completely to God?

What are we to do that is apart from His grace? Do we not walk in works prepared for us? Do those works have gaps? Or is our life a continuous walk in holiness in thought and word and deed? Best case, mind you!

We live unto God, all days. We've ceased from all work trying to become right with God, and we never cease from walking in the works He established for us. OK, I really am repeating myself!

Much love!