JESUS: The Name Above All Others!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ByGraceThroughFaith

Mar 14, 2021
Dudley
trinitystudies.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

“Therefore God also has highly exalted Him and given Him the Name which is above every name, that at the name of JESUS every knee should bow, of those in heaven, and of those on earth, and of those under the earth, and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is the Lord, to the glory of God the Father” (Philippians 2:9-11)

In this passage in Philippians, Paul is continuing from stating about Jesus Christ, Who is the Eternal God (en morphēi theou huparchōn, “existing in the very nature of God”, verse 6), Who at His Incarnation, took on the “morphēn doulou” (the very nature of humans, verse 7), and is thereafter The God-Man.

In verses 9-11, Paul is very clear, that God the Father Highly Exalted the Lord Jesus Christ, Whose Name is Higher than all others.

To show what this actually means, Paul quotes from the Old Testament Book of the Prophet Isaiah:

“I have sworn by Myself, The word has gone forth from My mouth in righteousness And will not turn back, That to Me every knee will bow, every tongue will swear allegiance” (chapter 45, verse 23)

It is clear from the context in Isaiah, that the Speaker is Yahweh, and the passage, including the words in verse 23, are only possible for Yahweh.

It is also clear, that Paul, writing under the direction of the Holy Spirit, takes the words from Isaiah, which is used for Yahweh, and applies them directly to the Lord Jesus Christ!

If, as some blaspheme, when they say that Jesus Christ is a mere man, and not Almighty God, that this is true, then Paul is in very grave error, and indeed himself blasphemes, when he very clearly says that Jesus Christ is Yahweh, by the fact that he quotes the words from Isaiah, for the Lord Jesus Christ!

Not only does Paul say that Jesus Christ is Yahweh, but he also says, that this Truth, is to the Glory of God the Father!

Paul also is clear that Jesus Christ is Yahweh, when he directly quotes the Old Testament, where it is used for Yahweh, and applies the words to Jesus Christ. As is in Romans 10:13, which is from Joel 2:32; and 1 Corinthians 10:9, which refers to Numbers 21:5-6.

All of this is very clear, that Jesus Christ is The Eternal God, uncreated and 100% Coequal with the Father. Yet, we have those who still argue with what the Bible very clearly Teaches, and continues to believe and teach that which is clearly heretical!

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

“Therefore God also has highly exalted Him and given Him the Name which is above every name, that at the name of JESUS every knee should bow, of those in heaven, and of those on earth, and of those under the earth, and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is the Lord, to the glory of God the Father” (Philippians 2:9-11)

In this passage in Philippians, Paul is continuing from stating about Jesus Christ, Who is the Eternal God (en morphēi theou huparchōn, “existing in the very nature of God”, verse 6), Who at His Incarnation, took on the “morphēn doulou” (the very nature of humans, verse 7), and is thereafter The God-Man.

In verses 9-11, Paul is very clear, that God the Father Highly Exalted the Lord Jesus Christ, Whose Name is Higher than all others.

To show what this actually means, Paul quotes from the Old Testament Book of the Prophet Isaiah:

“I have sworn by Myself, The word has gone forth from My mouth in righteousness And will not turn back, That to Me every knee will bow, every tongue will swear allegiance” (chapter 45, verse 23)

It is clear from the context in Isaiah, that the Speaker is Yahweh, and the passage, including the words in verse 23, are only possible for Yahweh.

It is also clear, that Paul, writing under the direction of the Holy Spirit, takes the words from Isaiah, which is used for Yahweh, and applies them directly to the Lord Jesus Christ!

If, as some blaspheme, when they say that Jesus Christ is a mere man, and not Almighty God, that this is true, then Paul is in very grave error, and indeed himself blasphemes, when he very clearly says that Jesus Christ is Yahweh, by the fact that he quotes the words from Isaiah, for the Lord Jesus Christ!

Not only does Paul say that Jesus Christ is Yahweh, but he also says, that this Truth, is to the Glory of God the Father!

Paul also is clear that Jesus Christ is Yahweh, when he directly quotes the Old Testament, where it is used for Yahweh, and applies the words to Jesus Christ. As is in Romans 10:13, which is from Joel 2:32; and 1 Corinthians 10:9, which refers to Numbers 21:5-6.

All of this is very clear, that Jesus Christ is The Eternal God, uncreated and 100% Coequal with the Father. Yet, we have those who still argue with what the Bible very clearly Teaches, and continues to believe and teach that which is clearly heretical!
Good word! How can Jesus NOT be the Father? God demanded a perfect sacrifice and only God Himself is perfect without blemish, as was Jesus. A mere man could never have satisfied Gods demand for perfection.

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Old Testament predicted that Messiah would be promoted to a high
position.

Isa 52:13 . . Look! My servant will act with insight. He will be in high
station and will certainly be elevated and exalted very much

The extent of Messiah's elevation and exaltation wasn't fully appreciated
until the New Testament wherein it says:

Phil 2:8-10 . .When he found himself in fashion as a man, he humbled
himself and became obedient as far as death, yes, death on a torture stake.
For this very reason also God exalted him to a superior position and kindly
gave him the name that is above every other name, so that in the name of
Jesus every knee should bend of those in heaven and those on earth and
those under the ground.

God didn't merely give Jesus a high name, He gave Jesus "the" name that's
above every other name; which just about any well-trained Bible student
knows is Jehovah.

Now maybe Jesus isn't actually Jehovah, but nevertheless he has the God
given right to be known as Jehovah, and to be worshipped as Jehovah.
Refusal to give Jesus the reverence due the name of Jehovah is a
blasphemous show of disrespect for the name of God.

FAQ: But doesn't Phil 2:8-10 contradict Isa 42:8 where it says: "I am
Jehovah. That is my name; and to no one else shall I give My own glory"

REPLY: I think it best to understand that verse as saying God won't allow
Himself to be supplanted. I really don't think its saying He won't willingly
share His name and/or His glory with His favorite son, i.e. the son that God
loves and admires more than all other creatures: either underground, above
ground, or up in the sky.

* The apostle Thomas appears to be way ahead of his contemporaries when
he addressed Jesus as his Lord and his God (John 20:28). I don't know for
sure how Thomas knew Jesus was on track for that unbelievable promotion,
but he did. Perhaps Jesus had instructed all of his guys ahead of time what
to expect.
_

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Old Testament predicted that Messiah would be promoted to a high
position.

Isa 52:13 . . Look! My servant will act with insight. He will be in high
station and will certainly be elevated and exalted very much

The extent of Messiah's elevation and exaltation wasn't fully appreciated
until the New Testament wherein it says:

Phil 2:8-10 . .When he found himself in fashion as a man, he humbled
himself and became obedient as far as death, yes, death on a torture stake.
For this very reason also God exalted him to a superior position and kindly
gave him the name that is above every other name, so that in the name of
Jesus every knee should bend of those in heaven and those on earth and
those under the ground.

God didn't merely give Jesus a high name, He gave Jesus "the" name that's
above every other name; which just about any well-trained Bible student
knows is Jehovah.

Now maybe Jesus isn't actually Jehovah, but nevertheless he has the God
given right to be known as Jehovah, and to be worshipped as Jehovah.
Refusal to give Jesus the reverence due the name of Jehovah is a
blasphemous show of disrespect for the name of God.

FAQ: But doesn't Phil 2:8-10 contradict Isa 42:8 where it says: "I am
Jehovah. That is my name; and to no one else shall I give My own glory"

REPLY: I think it best to understand that verse as saying God won't allow
Himself to be supplanted. I really don't think its saying He won't willingly
share His name and/or His glory with His favorite son, i.e. the son that God
loves and admires more than all other creatures: either underground, above
ground, or up in the sky.

* The apostle Thomas appears to be way ahead of his contemporaries when
he addressed Jesus as his Lord and his God (John 20:28). I don't know for
sure how Thomas knew Jesus was on track for that unbelievable promotion,
but he did. Perhaps Jesus had instructed all of his guys ahead of time what
to expect.
_
The OP appears to be stating that Jesus IS God Almighty, but you seem to be saying something a bit different.

Are you Father-Son Only or are you trinity?

They are three very different things so that's why I am trying to clarify before I can comment any further.

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God Himself + God's Spirit + God's Voice + A Man Ordained Jehovah = 4

That's not an unreasonable count. For example Ezek 1:1-28 depicts the
supreme Deity as one person represented by four.
_

Last edited:

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus Christ is not God the Father. The Two are distinct Persons
Thank you,
But I do not differentiate between God The Father, God The Son and God The Holy Spirit. Different ministries, roles yet of the same essence at it's core.

ByGraceThroughFaith

Mar 14, 2021
Dudley
trinitystudies.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you,
But I do not differentiate between God The Father, God The Son and God The Holy Spirit. Different ministries, roles yet of the same essence at it's core.

you saying that when Jesus speaks to or prays to the Father, He is doing so to Himself? When Jesus addresses the Father and Holy Spirit in the third person, this is also to Himself? When, for example, in John 1:1, we read that "the Word was WITH God", where the Greek preposition, "pros" means, "at the side of", that this is not "distinction", which the preposition means, but, "sameness" of Person? When Jesus speaks of the Holy Spirit as "ANOTHER Comforter", where the Greek "allos" means, "another like Myself", He is again speaking about Himself, though the language says they are "distinct"?

Yes, the "essence" or "nature" of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit are One in Unity, but this is different to their "Persons", which are clearly distinct in the Bible

Reactions: Nancy

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Last edited: