Job 17

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
[Note: this was true until the resurrection of Christ. The righteous dead were taken to Heaven by Christ upon his ascension, and now they go directly to Heaven where all the OT saints reside]
note: youre making stuff up now, that goes directly against Scripture! No one has ever gone up to heaven, regardless of what you say or believe wadr, sorry
[Note: an actual dialogue in Hades between the Rich Man and Abraham]
note that that is a parable, and no actual conversation took place. There is no "punishment" in Hades' mythology, and so a deliberate portrayal is being made that you are being allowed to glom onto and misinterpret, note that this is always the parable "believers" run to for this, there is no other Witness in Scripture for the concept you hope and imagine you might promote from it, and no offense but you are fighting Yah tooth and nail imo

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Elihu is Elijah.
Not that this is critical but the two names are not identical or interchangeable.

Elijah or Eliah = "my God is Jehovah" or "Yah(u) is God"
Elihu = "He is my God" or "God of him"

If indeed Elihu was speaking on God's behalf (as he so boastfully claimed) how is it that God commended only Job, but did not even mention Elihu?

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not that this is critical but the two names are not identical or interchangeable.

Elijah or Eliah = "my God is Jehovah" or "Yah(u) is God"
Elihu = "He is my God" or "God of him"

If indeed Elihu was speaking on God's behalf (as he so boastfully claimed) how is it that God commended only Job, but did not even mention Elihu?
If Elihu was boastful and wrong, why didn't God rebuke him too? He didn't. As you write, God doesn't even mention him.

Did God compliment John the Baptist when Jesus was baptized? No, John did his job and faded away. Elijah's job is to prepare the way, to announce, etc. When his job is over, he goes away.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not sure it was tough for Job at that point. I think he had obtained wisdom at that point -- thus he could be like Jesus who prayed for those who crucified him. In the beginning, it's said he was righteous but not wise. I think he realized that his friends' advice was based on their need to justify self. . . just as Job's beliefs had been.

I don't think his friends meant to hurt him. I think they were misguided. I see love in their initial silence. What can you say to someone in such a horrible state? No words seem right. No words are enough. Just sitting with him silently for seven days showed they cared. Job then starts the conversation. Eliphaz answers tentatively, hesitantly:

Job 4:2 If we assay to commune with thee, wilt thou be grieved? but who can withhold himself from speaking?

And Eliphaz then says: Job 32:18
"For I am full of words; The spirit within me constrains me."

Sounds like he is bursting with questions?...yet tentative to ask anything of Job.

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And Eliphaz then says: Job 32:18
"For I am full of words; The spirit within me constrains me."

Sounds like he is bursting with questions?...yet tentative to ask anything of Job.
Elihu was angry with them all. They all had lots of words that went nowhere. Note too that Elihu is younger than the rest of them. Perhaps they were too "sophicated" and not direct enough the way a child can be. In a way, it reminds me of the story The Emperor's New Clothes when the adults were avoiding reality and being flattering. "A little child shall lead them."

Reactions: amadeus and Nancy

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Elihu was angry with them all. They all had lots of words that went nowhere. Note too that Elihu is younger than the rest of them. Perhaps they were too "sophicated" and not direct enough the way a child can be. In a way, it reminds me of the story The Emperor's New Clothes when the adults were avoiding reality and being flattering. "A little child shall lead them."
Elihu in my opinion was angry because everyone had spent 30 some chapters talking about the righteousness of Job.

Reactions: Giuliano