Job 2:10

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ThePuffyBlob

Dec 16, 2019
( ^◡^)
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
but he was not necessarily correct in his understanding as the account pointed out
then he must also be not perfect and God lied... which is impossible

if he said were incorrect then he must've sin for lying

44 Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.

or yes you are right...

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
10 But he said unto her, Thou speakest as one of the foolish women speaketh. What? shall we receive good at the hand of God, and shall we not receive evil? In all this did not Job sin with his lips.

does this mean
christians both recieve good and evil from God?

and since job is perfect in the eyes of God
his words are also prorbably perfect so we are indeed recieving evil and good from God or is this just the common sense of men
ISAIAH 45:7 gives us a general view of God's sovereignty ... that some don't like.
CEB
I form light and create darkness, make prosperity and create doom; I am the Lord, who does all these things.

ERV
I made the light and the darkness. I bring peace, and I cause trouble. I, the Lord, do all these things.

ESV
I form light and create darkness; I make well-being and create calamity; I am the Lord, who does all these things.

KJV
I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things.

NASB
The One forming light and creating darkness, Causing well-being and creating disaster; I am the Lord who does all these things.

NIV
I form the light and create darkness, I bring prosperity and create disaster; I, the Lord, do all these things.

NKJV
I form the light and create darkness, I make peace and create calamity; I, the Lord, do all these things.’

NRSV
I form light and create darkness, I make weal and create woe; I the Lord do all these things.

WEB
I form the light and create darkness. I make peace and create calamity. I am Yahweh, who does all these things.

YLT
Forming light, and preparing darkness, Making peace, and preparing evil, I [am] Jehovah, doing all these things.'

"God is certainly sovereign over evil. There's a sense in which it is proper even to say that evil is part of His eternal decree. He planned for it. It did not take Him by surprise. It is not an interruption of His eternal plan. He declared the end from the beginning, and He is still working all things for His good pleasure (Isaiah 46:9-10).

But God's role with regard to evil is never as its author. He simply permits evil agents to work, then overrules evil for His own wise and holy ends. Ultimately He is able to make all things - including all the fruits of all the evil of all time-work together for a greater good (Romans 8:28)." John MacArthur

"There's moral evil. There's what we would call metaphysical evil—finitude, for example. Whenever the Bible speaks of God bringing evil upon people, it is evil from their perspective. When the fires fell upon Sodom and Gomorrah, the people did not look upon that as a good thing. That was bad news. But it was ultimately good because it was an expression of God's judgment upon their wickedness. It was a punishment wrought by the hand of God upon evil. That doesn't mean that God did something wrong or something morally evil by visiting them with judgment.
This Isaiah text is also written in poetic form. It uses parallelism, a pattern of poetry common to Old Testament Judaism. There are even different types of parallelism.
An example occurs in the Lord's Prayer when Jesus says, "Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil." Those two thoughts are parallel and they're basically synonymous; they are saying the same thing only with different words. We find that often in the Psalms.
In Isaiah 45 we have an example of two statements next to each other that are antithetical parallelisms. The first verse is "I create the light and the darkness." Light and darkness are opposites; they're contrasts, they are an antithesis one to another. That's why it's called antithetical parallelism.
The next statement has the same kind of antithesis, but how is the wording? "I make peace, I create evil." It doesn't ring true because peace and evil in our vocabulary are not antonyms, are they? Whereas light and dark are opposites, these are not. What the text is saying is that as God brings good things to bear in this world, he also brings about calamities in his judgment."
RC Sproul

Last edited:

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
then he must also be not perfect and God lied... which is impossible

if he said were incorrect then he must've sin for lying

44 Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.

or yes you are right...

No one ever said Job was perfect Stred, he was a sinner just like everyone else. 3 perfect people inhabited this earth historically, but only 1 remained perfect until death, Jesus.

ThePuffyBlob

Dec 16, 2019
( ^◡^)
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
God is certainly sovereign over evil. There's a sense in which it is proper even to say that evil is part of His eternal decree. He planned for it. It did not take Him by surprise. It is not an interruption of His eternal plan. He declared the end from the beginning, and He is still working all things for His good pleasure (Isaiah 46:9-10).
Isaiah 46:9-10
Remember the former things of old: for I am God, and there is none else; I am God, and there is none like me, Declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times the things that are not yet done, saying, My counsel shall stand, and I will do all my pleasure:
But God's role with regard to evil is never as its author. He simply permits evil agents to work, then overrules evil for His own wise and holy ends. Ultimately He is able to make all things - including all the fruits of all the evil of all time-work together for a greater good (Romans 8:28)." John MacArthur
Romans 8:28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.
?ftw?
i wish to continue reading but i feel something bad will happen
could you make it more clear please it's just hard to trust people sorry T_T

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God said he was o_O

Nope, you simply misunderstood the words, but Job did hold his integrity under test. The Bible does not contradict, all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God, with the exception of Jesus of course.

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Romans 8:28 "And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose."
?ftw?
i wish to continue reading but i feel something bad will happen
could you make it more clear please it's just hard to trust people sorry T_T
Could you make your question more clear? "Something bad will happen to you because you are reading commentary from two of the most knowledgeble and trusted theologians out there?

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God said he was o_O
"There was a man in the land of Uz, whose name was Job; and that man was perfect and upright, and one that feared God, and eschewed evil." Job 1:1 [KJV]

"A man there hath been in the land of Uz -- Job his name -- and that man hath been perfect and upright -- both fearing God, and turning aside from evil." Job 1:1 [Young version]

ThePuffyBlob

Dec 16, 2019
( ^◡^)
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
Nope, you simply misunderstood the words, but Job did hold his integrity under test. The Bible does not contradict, all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God, with the exception of Jesus of course.
and i would also say "no" you simply understood it in a different way

ThePuffyBlob

Dec 16, 2019
( ^◡^)
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
Could you make your question more clear? "Something bad will happen to you because you are reading commentary from two of the most knowledgeble and trusted theologians out there?
that's also why members here disregards me even the admins ignores me
my lifes so sucks it would be better if i were gone i should just quit this forum for good right?

ThePuffyBlob

Dec 16, 2019
( ^◡^)
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
"There was a man in the land of Uz, whose name was Job; and that man was perfect and upright, and one that feared God, and eschewed evil." Job 1:1 [KJV]

"A man there hath been in the land of Uz -- Job his name -- and that man hath been perfect and upright -- both fearing God, and turning aside from evil." Job 1:1 [Young version]
do you agree i also misunderstood it

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
that's also why members here disregards me even the admins ignores me
my lifes so sucks it would be better if i were gone i should just quit this forum for good right?
No! I sense that you are seeking God, seeking truth and just like many of us in the beginning had doubts and were confused, we start by opening the door of our hearts to Jesus. He stands there and knocks. If you open the door and let Him in , He will come in.
Reprobates don't do what you are doing. They don't seek God, they are not interested. They may, like tares among the wheat, come into the Church to cause division or spread lies and lead the flock astray. You aren't doing that - are you?
The fact that you are asking questions on a Christian website is a step towards God. Not being bothered and considering that would be a rejection and resistance to God. Faith comes by the word and so you must lray and ask God to shiw you the LIGHT. Jesus is the Light and as you get to know Him and what He has done, rhe doubts will dissolve and you will begin to believe. He has saved billions and He can save you. So ask for forgiveness realizing your sins and He will forgive them. It sounds that you are in a sorrowful state. Well, in godly sorrow is hkw and when we approach God, in humility, broken and defeated, with no hope in the world or in our own strength. So we seek Him and He provides.
Because you are getting closer to the Lord, the Devil is messing with you and this happens to us as Gid draws us to Himself. Satan pulls us away. It's a tug of war.
Satan leaves unbelievers alone until they start moving closer to Christ and getting into the Word - then he sends out his calvary and puts all sorts of doubts and deception into your mind and sends other unbelievers to discourage you. Stay away from them.
*** It is important to start your day in prayer for God to protect you from the enemy, to guide you and thank Him. Believe that He will and when you mention Jesus, the Devil flees. Consider yourself civered and protected. At any moment in the day when you feel like you are being attacked (and we are at times), stop and pray in Jesus name to give you protection, faith, strength, guidance and thank Him. You must believe that He can and is willing.
Days that I don't start this way can get of track and weird things happen; mishaps, arguments, darkness. Then I realize, oops, I did't commune with the Holy Spirit today- figures. You can't leave God out of any part of your life.
Get into a good Bible based church because a smoldering coal keft by itself will burn out; but put it with other coals and it stays lit. You can't do all this stuff online, in your head and by yourself. You need godly men to come alongside you.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
do you agree i also misunderstood it
Job was perfect or complete in his situation in that moment. Growth was needed and as the man grew, new things were happening in which he was imperfect and incomplete. From that perfect man in verse one we see the man experiencing some new and seemingly terrible things. He had to learn to deal with them and to continue to trust in God.

A baby may be perfectly content as a baby, but then he grows in a size and abilities. The things new to him must then be learned and hopefully perfected and/or completed. We all start as babies in Christ. Do we also mature as we grow?

Reactions: bbyrd009

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
10 But he said unto her, Thou speakest as one of the foolish women speaketh. What? shall we receive good at the hand of God, and shall we not receive evil? In all this did not Job sin with his lips.

does this mean
christians both recieve good and evil from God?

and since job is perfect in the eyes of God
his words are also prorbably perfect so we are indeed recieving evil and good from God or is this just the common sense of men

I get some may possibly say God was only speaking of the Jews here…but your question makes me think of Jeremiah 29:11 Lexicon: 'For I know the plans that I have for you,' declares the LORD, 'plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope.

Reactions: bbyrd009

RR144

Feb 12, 2019
INDIANA
www.kingdomherald.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But he said unto her, Thou speakest as one of the foolish women speaketh. What? shall we receive good at the hand of God, and shall we not receive evil? In all this did not Job sin with his lips. - Job 2:10

Job’s character was phenomenal. No wonder he was singled out with Daniel and Noah in the Book of Ezekiel as being a very unusual person! When we think of our character development compared to that of Job, we wonder how we would have reacted in his place. We do not know to what extent our character development has progressed or what we are capable of. Thank God for the promise that He will not allow us to be tested above what we are able (1 Cor. 10:13)—and that He knows the point of no return, where it would be to our utter disadvantage as new creatures to be tested further.

Although Job was tempted—although he realized that death would end his agony and his troubled spirit—he restrained himself and did not sin with his lips. The goodness that remained in his character was sufficient to suppress the wrong thoughts which must have coursed through his mind so that he did not allow them utterance.

This Scripture shows how important our words are, and it is similar to Matthew 12:37, “For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.” Yes, putting sinful thoughts into words is sort of like sinning the sin. Once the words come out of the mouth, they are in the public domain, and the individual is much more culpable.

Job asked, “Shall we not receive evil?” Since God does not cause moral evil, the word should be “calamity” or “distress.” The Lord permitted this calamity to come upon Job. For God to permit a calamity or an experience of outward judgment is one thing, such as an accident or the collapse of a building that is allowed to happen for disciplinary purposes, but moral evil is another matter altogether. God does not tempt anyone with moral evil