Job 2:10

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ThePuffyBlob

Dec 16, 2019
( ^◡^)
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
10 But he said unto her, Thou speakest as one of the foolish women speaketh. What? shall we receive good at the hand of God, and shall we not receive evil? In all this did not Job sin with his lips.

does this mean
christians both recieve good and evil from God?

and since job is perfect in the eyes of God
his words are also prorbably perfect so we are indeed recieving evil and good from God or is this just the common sense of men

Last edited by a moderator:

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God doesn't define evil as we do but here's one verse to chew on.

‘Now see that I, even I, am He, And there is no God besides Me; I kill and I make alive; I wound and I heal; Nor is there any who can deliver from My hand. Deuteronomy 32:39

Theologians say that God is not the author of evil, because He is defined by love (agape). The word "good" is actually derived from the word "god". However, "justice" is "good" and how is justice met? God is sovereign in creation, which means that He is in control over creation and that nothing happens except that He allows it. Not everything He does seems good to us, because we have the limited perspective of our lives. God has the perspective of eternity.

Allow me to give a few more verses to consider.

26 with the purified you show yourself pure;
and with the crooked you make yourself seem tortuous.

Psalm 18:26 (ESV)

27 Now He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He makes intercession for the saints according to the will of God.
28 And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose. 29 For whom He foreknew, He also predestined
to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren. Romans 8:27-29

7 If you endure chastening, God deals with you as with sons; for what son is there whom a father does not chasten? 8 But if you are without chastening, of which all have become partakers, then you are illegitimate and not sons. 9 Furthermore, we have had human fathers who corrected us, and we paid them respect. Shall we not much more readily be in subjection to the Father of spirits and live? 10 For they indeed for a few days chastened us as seemed best to them, but He for our profit, that we may be partakers of His holiness. 11 Now no chastening seems to be joyful for the present, but painful; nevertheless, afterward it yields the peaceable fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it. Hebrews 12:7-11

44 But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you, 45 that you may be sons of your Father in heaven; for He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust. Matthew 5:44-45

There is nothing that happens to men that doesn't happen to Christians. The difference between Christians and the world is how we perceive things. The world calls some things evil that we call good, and other things good that we call evil. To be taught by God is to understand why there is this difference and to allow God to have His way in us, to renew us in the image of His Son.

19 And the Angel of God, who went before the camp of Israel, moved and went behind them; and the pillar of cloud went from before them and stood behind them. 20 So it came between the camp of the Egyptians and the camp of Israel. Thus it was a cloud and darkness to the one, and it gave light by night to the other, so that the one did not come near the other all that night. Exodus 14:19-20
Consider that scripture compares the bondage of Egypt experienced by God's chosen people to the bondage of sin and that the entire world is under such bondage except those delivered from sin through faith in Jesus Christ. When the Chosen were lead through the waters by the angel of the Lord, their way was lit by the pillar of flame, but at the same time, all the Egyptians could see was thick cloud and darkness. God changes our perception when He brings us into the kingdom of light, but the world condemns us as evil.

Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil;
Who put darkness for light, and light for darkness;
Who put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!
Isaiah 5:20

3 For what if some did not believe? Will their unbelief make the faithfulness of God without effect? 4 Certainly not! Indeed, let God be true but every man a liar. As it is written:
“That You may be justified in Your words,
And may overcome when You are judged.”
Romans 3:3-4

15 But he who is spiritual judges all things, yet he himself is rightly judged by no one. 1 Corinthians 2:15

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
10 But he said unto her, Thou speakest as one of the foolish women speaketh. What? shall we receive good at the hand of God, and shall we not receive evil? In all this did not Job sin with his lips.

does this mean

Time will tell Stred, but I think not. Jas 1:13-15 The account of Job tells point blank who did those things to Job. Remember those was Job's words not Jehovah's, he had no idea why those things were happening to him, as none of us can see behind the scenes. He had no knowledge that he was being tried by satan. I am sure if we had been serving Jehovah to just a partial degree of what Job did and all of a sudden, if just some of the things that happened to Job happened to us, we would wonder if we did something to lose God's favor, perhaps thinking God was punishing us. Of course it was revealed later, that is why that it is so nice that book was included in the Bible, as it can help us to realize that bad things happening to us, is not happening to us because we lost Jehovah's favor.

If anything abnormal things happening to Christians can be evidence of strong faith, warranting satans attention to us to try to break our integrity. Jesus openly stated we would be persecuted, and the more faithful we are, the more satan will notice. Heck he tried to tempt Jesus as well. We certainly will not be as successful as Jesus was in warding off satan, but Jehovah will not allow us to be tempted beyond what we can bear, He didn't allow it with Job, nor will He allow it with us 1 Cor 10:13

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

does this mean

I think it’s more like…should we accept what circumstance God puts us in when it seems good to us but not accept a circumstance He puts us in when it seems bad or hard to us?

If it is true that He works all things for our good, and if we truly believed Him and trusted Him about that, it wouldn’t matter to us whether or not it seemed good to us or hard and bitter to us, we would just believe He works all to our good, to grow our trust.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

does this mean
What is good and what is evil? Who receives what?

"And ye have forgotten the exhortation which speaketh unto you as unto children, My son, despise not thou the chastening of the Lord, nor faint when thou art rebuked of him:
For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth.
If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not?
But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons." Heb 12:5-8

"That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust." Matt 5:45

But also then...

Mt 5:3 Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Mt 5:4 Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted.
Mt 5:5 Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.
Mt 5:6 Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.
Mt 5:7 Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy.
Mt 5:8 Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God.
Mt 5:9 Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.
Mt 5:10 Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Mt 5:11 Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.

Abigail

Jan 29, 2022
Brookside
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

does this mean
Why is most of your post stricken? like this?

Reactions: ThePuffyBlob

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

does this mean
It simply means we completely trust in God (In God We Trust).

God is good, but it is the world that includes both darkness and light (evening and morning, good and evil)...by His design. So in the world we will experience both, but what men may foolishly mean for evil (to their own downfall), God has meant for good-- In one timeline of history, both salvation and judgment run parallel, wherein God works all things together for good for those who love Him.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

does this mean
My understanding of the word "evil" is that it means "pain." I suppose the Lord does take us out to the woodshed when it is needed.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
does this mean

God causes the good to come to the evil and to the justified.
Is that because all are going to heaven?
No, its because God is good all the time.

Another way to think of it is this..

"if God be for us, who can be against us" He said, just before they cut off his head.

Or this one.
Paul Speaking....>"this Light affliction is but for a moment"........and Paul is talking about his entire lifetime....which included...."""" Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was pelted with stones, three times I was shipwrecked, I spent a night and a day in the open sea,"... and Paul was stoned to DEATH by that "pelting".

He calls this "light affliction".

So, the bible is interesting, in that it is sometimes analogy, sometimes symbolic, sometimes literal.

Get in there and......"study to show yourself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not be ashamed...... and how is that? = learning to "rightly divide the word of God"

ThePuffyBlob

Dec 16, 2019
( ^◡^)
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
. Remember those was Job's words not Jehovah's
yes but
1 There was a man in the land of Uz, whose name was Job; and that man was perfect and upright, and one that feared God, and eschewed evil.
22 In all this Job sinned not, nor charged God foolishly.
will the fruit turned out to be evil if the tree is good?

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think it’s more like…should we accept what circumstance God puts us in when it seems good to us but not accept a circumstance He puts us in when it seems bad or hard to us?

If it is true that He works all things for our good, and if we truly believed Him and trusted Him about that, it wouldn’t matter to us whether or not it seemed good to us or hard and bitter to us, we would just believe He works all to our good, to grow our trust.

Well, this is amazing. I was so hard hit by a sudden surprise that I had some wrestling about over the last two days. For two days, I came over and over again right to the brink of what it seemed, at times, could have been a sinking down into anger, despair, unacceptance and railing against the circumstance I suddenly found myself in…actually, it could have been my own disqualification after I have preached trust to others. Then, someone hit like on this post and so it was the first thing I saw when I came here this morning. And the post (my own post) added to the strength and help He gave me yesterday to stand firm in trust and not turn away from trust to sink in that awful morass like a dog returning to vomit. The added help for today came because someone liked a post I had forgotten about. How does He DO that?? My gosh, He stupefies me with His perfect timing!

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
yes but
1 There was a man in the land of Uz, whose name was Job; and that man was perfect and upright, and one that feared God, and eschewed evil.
22 In
all this Job sinned not, nor charged God foolishly.
will the fruit turned out to be evil if the tree is good?

Amen Stred! In all that, Job did not sin, he kept his integrity. That is why Jehovah said of him:
(Job 1:8) . . .Jehovah said to Satan: “Have you taken note of my servant Job? There is no one like him on the earth. He is an upright man of integrity, fearing God and shunning what is bad.”

Reactions: amadeus

ThePuffyBlob

Dec 16, 2019
( ^◡^)
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
Amen Stred! In all that, Job did not sin, he kept his integrity. That is why Jehovah said of him:
(Job 1:8) . . .Jehovah said to Satan: “Have you taken note of my servant Job? There is no one like him on the earth. He is an upright man of integrity, fearing God and shunning what is bad.”
that is why isn't job's words trustworthy? since he is perfect not in the eyes of men nor that serpent but in the eyes of God

recieving good and evil
He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust.
rain and sun can be interpreted as a blessing
he sends rain both on the righteous and the unrighteous

rain/sun can also become a curse

receiving both good and evil

so job's words are justified

Reactions: amadeus

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
that is why isn't job's words trustworthy? since he is perfect not in the eyes of men nor that serpent but in the eyes of God

recieving good and evil

Chapter 42 of the book of Job is his repentance.
“I have heard of You by the hearing of the ear,
But now my eye sees You.
6 Therefore I abhor myself,
And repent in dust and ashes.”
Job 42:5-6
If Job is pure in the sight of God, what is he repenting of?
There's exactly one sin of Job in the book of Job, exactly one.

32 So these three men ceased answering Job, because he was righteous in his own eyes.
Self righteousness is hypocrisy.
There is a very old Christian saying, "there but by the grace of God go I". This saying is in reference to any and all sin.
A sovereign God controls all the elements of our existence.

A rich man may steal, (and many do), but doesn't have to in order to feed himself.
A happy man may drink, but doesn't have to in order to forget his troubles for a few hours.
A content man may commit sexual immorality, but doesn't have to when he has a wife for his pleasure.

Our circumstances are a source of temptation, but some have better circumstances than others.
That's what a "hedge" means in this book, a defense provided by God against sin.
Satan understood this:
Have You not made a hedge around him, around his household, and around all that he has on every side? You have blessed the work of his hands, and his possessions have increased in the land. Job 1:10

Job feared God, but it took his trials to bring him to the point where he could "see" God (recognize that righteousness is the work of God in creation, ourselves included.)

Reactions: bbyrd009

ThePuffyBlob

Dec 16, 2019
( ^◡^)
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
Chapter 42 of the book of Job is his repentance.
“I have heard of You by the hearing of the ear,
But now my eye sees You.
6 Therefore I abhor myself,
And repent in dust and ashes.”
Job 42:5-6
If Job is pure in the sight of God, what is he repenting of?
There's exactly one sin of Job in the book of Job, exactly one
humbling? sorry sleepy2:10.15 AM:

Reactions: michaelvpardo

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, this is amazing. I was so hard hit by a sudden surprise that I had some wrestling about over the last two days. For two days, I came over and over again right to the brink of what it seemed, at times, could have been a sinking down into anger, despair, unacceptance and railing against the circumstance I suddenly found myself in…actually, it could have been my own disqualification after I have preached trust to others. Then, someone hit like on this post and so it was the first thing I saw when I came here this morning. And the post (my own post) added to the strength and help He gave me yesterday to stand firm in trust and not turn away from trust to sink in that awful morass like a dog returning to vomit. The added help for today came because someone liked a post I had forgotten about. How does He DO that?? My gosh, He stupefies me with His perfect timing!

Awesome Jen...how easily we can fall into the mire of despair! Happy and joyful for you sis!

Reactions: stunnedbygrace

ShineTheLight

May 7, 2021
Beaverton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

does this mean

and since job is perfect in the eyes of God
his words are also prorbably perfect so we are indeed recieving evil and good from God or is this just the common sense of men

Ecclesiastes 7:14

In the day of prosperity be joyful, but in the day of adversity consider: God also hath set the one over against the other, to the end that man should find nothing after him.

The wife of Job is doing the opposite of this...

Ephesians 5: 15-16

15. See then that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise,
16. Redeeming the time, because the days are evil

There's also this.

Matthew 6:34

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

recieving good and evil

Keep in mind Stred, Job did not sin, and his words are trustworthy, as Jehovah saw to it that his words were recorded for us, but he was not necessarily correct in his understanding as the account pointed out, and the reason they were included in the testimony. Jehovah chastised Job for that remember? For instance Job said: (Job 37:23) . . .Understanding the Almighty is beyond our reach. . . Now you and I know that is not true for the most part, look at how Jehovah responded:
(Job 38:1-6) . . .Then Jehovah answered Job out of the windstorm: 2 “Who is this who is obscuring my counsel And speaking without knowledge? 3 Brace yourself, please, like a man; I will question you, and you inform me. 4 Where were you when I founded the earth? Tell me, if you think you understand. 5 Who set its measurements, in case you know, Or who stretched a measuring line across it? 6 Into what were its pedestals sunk, Or who laid its cornerstone,
And the account goes on sir, but you are correct as early on the account tells us that:
(Job 1:22) . . .In all of this, Job did not sin or accuse God of doing anything wrong.
So while we might look at it as being a sin, obviously Jehovah did not. But He did have to correct his thinking. Proper understanding is paramount to the Christian faith sir, that is why there are limits on how far we are allowed to stray before it becomes sin.

Reactions: ThePuffyBlob