Josiah - The Frustrated Reformer

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Insight

Aug 7, 2011
Thank you for your post cougar...I like your last point.

In 2 Chronicles 34:31,32,33, Sometime before this the Voice of Yahweh came to the prophet, reminding him of the implications of that covenant. 'Cursed be the man that obeyeth not the words of the covenant which I commanded your fathers in the day that I brought them out of the land of Egypt. Obey My voice and do My commands that I may give you a land in which to live,' Yahweh declared. "And as Jeremiah heard these words, he confirmed them, saying: So be it' or, in Hebrew: 'Amen' (Jer 11:5).

This was the response that Israel was commanded to give when they heard the words of the Covenant. It meant that they were bound to them and would truly receive the blessings or the cursing’s there outlined according to whether they obeyed or disobeyed.

Jeremiah was told to take this message to the people. Like the Lord Jesus, nearly 700 years later, he commenced a tour of the cities of Judea (Jer 11: 6,7,8), warning the people that the very covenant they had entered into could destroy them unless they obeyed it in the letter and in the spirit. It was not a pleasant tour that he made. The people came to hate him for his straightforward talk. They did not want to hear of curses; they wanted only blessings. They were well satisfied with their ways, and manifested the greatest impatience at his criticism. The prophet told them that they were completely disloyal to Yahweh: 'According to the number of their cities have been your gods,' he declared (Jer 11:13).

And though the idols had been destroyed, the hearts of the people remained unchanged. So completely apostate had they become that Yahweh refused to hear any prayers on their behalf unless they changed their ways (Jer 11: 14). He reminded them that though Israel is likened to a 'good olive tree,' Yahweh would break off its branches and burn them (Jer 11:16) similar to language used by Paul in Romans 11:19.

Insight

Aug 7, 2011
Jeremiah spoke of the growing hatred of the people for himself, and likened himself to 'a favorite lamb led to the slaughter' (according to Rotherham's translation of verse (Jer 11:19) a term used of the Lord Jesus (Acts 8:32).

"His journey led him back to his own city of Anathoth, just as the journeying’s of Christ took him back to his hometown of Nazareth. And there, Jeremiah, like Christ, proclaimed his message. And, like Christ, he found these people more angry with him than any others. 'We do not want to hear you!' they stormed at him. 'Do not prophesy in the name of Yahweh, or we will kill you!' (compare Jer. 11:21 with Luke 4:24).

Even the members of his own family joined in the cry against him. And when they found that anger and persecution did not move him, they tried flattery and fair words — but all in vain (Jer 12:6). How like the Lord Jesus, concerning whom it was said, that 'even his brethren believed him not' (John 7:5). Sad and despondent, the prophet turned to Yahweh. 'Why do the wicked prosper?’ he asked (Jer 12:1). He desired to know the purpose of all his sufferings. He could see that though Yahweh was 'near in the mouths of the people, He was far from their inward feelings' (Jer 12:2). He could see that even then the beginnings of punishments predicted in the Law were being felt. Severe drought was troubling the land (Jer12: 4), and he wondered if it was to continue. He was told that worse things were in store for the nation. Jerusalem would be overthrown by the Gentiles, though ultimately the 'times of the Gentiles'* would come to an end, and Israel would be restored.

In short, this message of Jeremiah, in his 12th chapter, is strikingly similar to the warning prophecy which Christ delivered on the Mount of Olives (Matthew 24), in which he also predicted famine, civil war, invasion, destruction for Judah, and the downtreading of Jerusalem 'until the times of the Gentiles be fulfilled'.

Thus Jeremiah anticipated the work of the Lord Jesus. As far as we know, this was his final prophecy in the lifetime of Josiah. Shortly after this, political events developed to a crisis in which the life of the godly king was brought to an end.

The End