Judas or the chief priests bought the Potter's field?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Acts 1:

18 With the payment he received for his wickedness, Judas bought a field; there he fell headlong, his body burst open and all his intestines spilled out.
Matthew 27:

3 Then when Judas, his betrayer, saw that Jesus was condemned, he changed his mind and brought back the thirty pieces of silver to the chief priests and the elders, 4saying, “I have sinned by betraying innocent blood.” They said, “What is that to us? See to it yourself.” 5 And throwing down the pieces of silver into the temple, he departed, and he went and hanged himself. 6 But the chief priests, taking the pieces of silver, said, “It is not lawful to put them into the treasury, since it is blood money.” 7 So they took counsel and bought with them the potter’s field as a burial place for strangers.
While arranging to betray Jesus with the priests, Judas might have expressed interest to them in what he intended to do with the reward money. So, the priests used his money to buy the field according to Judas' wish.

This would explain the coincidence that the price of 30 pieces of silver was the right amount for purchase.

It also explains the coincidence that Judas killed himself in the very field that he was interested to buy before the betrayal. But it was ironic that he thought he was going to live there.

Ultimately, it was all arranged by God's providence, Zechariah 11:

13 And the LORD said to me, "Throw it to the potter"--this magnificent price at which they valued me. So I took the thirty pieces of silver and threw them to the potter in the house of the LORD.

Sigma

Aug 16, 2023
PNW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
While arranging to betray Jesus with the priests, Judas might have expressed interest to them in what he intended to do with the reward money. So, the priests used his money to buy the field according to Judas' wish.

This would explain the coincidence that the price of 30 pieces of silver was the right amount for purchase.

It also explains the coincidence that Judas killed himself in the very field that he was interested to buy before the betrayal. But it was ironic that he thought he was going to live there.

Nowhere in Scripture did Judas express interest in buying the Field of Blood, nor is it mentioned he killed himself there. The Pharisees said, "“It is not lawful to put them in the temple treasury, since it is money paid for blood.” And they conferred together and with the money bought the Potter’s Field as a burial place for strangers." They would've put the money in the treasury had it not been blood money, and thus they never intended to spend it on whatever Judas wanted, and that's if Judas even expressed to them his plans for the money if any.

Maria Valtorta was shown where the suicide of Judas took place by Jesus on March 31st, 1944. This is the description of what she saw:

He goes up and down the hills around Jerusalem. And his eyes are irresistibly attracted towards Golgotha. And twice from afar he sees the procession wind uphill. He looks and howls.

It is now on the top. Judas also is on top of a little hill covered with olive-trees. He has gone in by opening a rustic paling, as if he were the owner or at least well acquainted with the place. I am under the impression that Judas did not have much consideration for other people's property.

Standing upright under an olive-tree on the edge of a terrace, he looks towards Golgotha. He sees the crosses being erected and he realises that Jesus has been crucified. He cannot bear to see or hear. But his mental derangement or an act of witchcraft by Satan make him see and hear as if he were on the top of Calvary.

He looks and looks like one bewitched. He struggles: «No! No! Don't look at me. Don't speak to me. I cannot bear it. Die, die, You cursed one! Let death close those eyes that frighten me, that mouth that curses me. But I also curse You. Because You did not save me.»

His face is so troubled that one cannot look at it. Two fine streams of slaver run down from his howling mouth. The cheek that was bitten is livid and swollen, and so his face looks twisted. His sticky hair, his very dark beard that has grown on his cheeks during these hours, make his face look dismal. And his eyes!... They roll, are squint and phosphorescent. The eyes of a real demon.

He tears away from his waist the cord of thick red wool that encircles it three times. He tests its solidity by winding it round an olive-tree and pulling it with all his strength. It resists. It is solid.

He chooses a suitable olive-tree. Here it is. This one, protruding beyond the terrace with its ruffled foliage, is all right. He climbs on the tree. He fastens a noose solidly to the strongest branch hanging out over the empty space. He has already tied a slip-knot. He looks at Golgotha for the last time. He then puts his head into the slip-knot. He now seems to have two red necklaces round the bottom part of his neck. He sits on the terrace. Then with a jerk he lets himself slip into the empty space.

The knot squeezes his throat. He struggles for some moments. He rolls his eyes strangely, he becomes black with suffocation, he opens his mouth, the veins of his neck swell and become black. He kicks the air four or five times in his last convulsions. Then his mouth opens and his dark slobbery tongue hangs out, his eye -balls remain uncovered, protruding, showing the whitish globes stained with blood. The hides disappear in the upper part. He is dead.

The strong wind, that has risen with the impending storm, makes the macabre pendulum swing and whirl like a horrible spider hanging from the thread of a cobweb.

The vision ends thus. (The Poem of the Man-God: Vol. V, ch. 601, pp. 292-295)

Last edited:

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Acts 1:

Matthew 27:

Ultimately, it was all arranged by God's providence, Zechariah 11:
Where do you get that Judas was interested in buying Aceldama?