Did Judas repent?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Yes according to King James Bible, Matthew 27:

3 Then Judas, which had betrayed him, when he saw that he was condemned, repented himself, and brought again the thirty pieces of silver to the chief priests and elders,
Not exactly according to New King James Version

Then Judas, His betrayer, seeing that He had been condemned, was remorseful and brought back the thirty pieces of silver to the chief priests and elders,
he was filled with remorse
μεταμεληθεὶς (metamelētheis)
Verb - Aorist Participle Passive - Nominative Masculine Singular
Strong's 3338: From meta and the middle voice of melo; to care afterwards, i.e. Regret.

The Greek word for repent is Μετανοεῖτε (Metanoeite G3340). Judas did not G3340.

Ellicott's Commentary for English Readers:

Repented himself.--The Greek word is not that commonly used for "repentance," as involving a change of mind and heart, but is rather "regret," a simple change of feeling.
No according to Pulpit Commentary:

Repented himself (μεταμεληθείς). This word (differing from μετανοέω, which expresses change of heart) denotes only a change of feeling, a desire that what has been done could be undone; this is not repentance in the Scripture sense; it springs not from love of God, it has not that character which calls for pardon.
At Biblehub, 19 versions use the word "repented"; 20 use "remorse".

Judas was capable of repentance but he did not repent. Instead, he chose to hang himself.

See also Was Judas Iscariot saved?.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Strong's 3338: From meta and the middle voice of melo; to care afterwards, i.e. Regret.

The Greek word for repent is Μετανοεῖτε (Metanoeite G3340). Judas did not G3340.

Judas was capable of repentance but he did not repent. Instead, he chose to hang himself.

I say no. “Have not I chosen you twelve, and one of you is a devil?” Jn 6:70-71. Not sure if it is given to "devils" the opportunity to repent.

Psalm 41:9 says, “Even my close friend in whom I trusted, who ate my bread, has lifted up his heel against me.” Jesus quoted this verse in John 13:18 referring to Judas who would betray him.

So, that's what makes me answer "no". :)

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Whenever Jesus, or Paul, referred to someone as a child of the Devil, they are identified as having committed to the Dark Side, and are lost forever. Judas was referred to as such, and may have been remorseful, but did not repent unto Salvation. Clearly!

John 6.70 Then Jesus replied, “Have I not chosen you, the Twelve? Yet one of you is a devil!”
John 13.2 The evening meal was in progress, and the devil had already prompted Judas, the son of Simon Iscariot, to betray Jesus.

Certainly any of us can be moved by the Devil to do wrong, but that is different from being identified as "a devil." Those who are identified as children of the Devil have already committed the unpardonable sin, and are those whose hearts are exposed as such by the Holy Spirit.

Acts 13.10 “You are a child of the devil and an enemy of everything that is right! You are full of all kinds of deceit and trickery. Will you never stop perverting the right ways of the Lord?

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Many say the NKJV alters many points in scripture.

That Judas repented is a long known fact of Scripture . Even though he was possessed by Satan when betraying Jesus.

He repented and Jesus forgave all who put him on the cross.Because they knew not what they did. That is certainly true of Judas.

Reactions: Lambano

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He did not hang himself ...I thought we had already been through this.
I always thought the conflicting stories in Matthew and Luke sounded suspicious. I think the real story is that Simon the Zealot slit his throat in some Jerusalem back alley. Zealots knew how to handle traitors. :smirk:

Reactions: Nancy

Rockerduck

Nov 7, 2022
Marietta, Georgia.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is a difference in regret and repent. Remorseful, that all the disciples would know It was he that betrayed Jesus.

Yes, he hung himself, but was lousy at tying ropes, so he dropped and burst asunder.

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is he going to receive eternal life? Peter et al did not think so. See Was Judas Iscariot saved?
Did you notice those two whom Jesus was crucified between?
Thieves.

One knew who Jesus was. Acknowledged Jesus did not deserve to be executed.Asked Jesus to remember him when he comes into his kingdom.
And Jesus assured him that very moment, that very day, that thief would be with him in Paradise.

He didn't say on that day the thief would join him in Paradise. He told him he would be in Paradise.

And then later,Jesus asked the Father,and the thief heard this,Father forgive them for they know not what they do.

Jesus forgave the thief that obviously knew who he was,and assured him of Paradise. He forgave all for what they did,being party to his crucifixion,because they did not know who he was or what they were actually accomplishing by their actions.

Judas was a thief.
Being possessed by Satan he then turned Jesus over to those who sought to kill him.
Not knowing what they were doing was all part of God's Salvation plan.

Satan couldn't enter Judas were he saved. Just as he cannot possess Holy Spirit filled Christians today. But,he could manipulate Judas and did.

And we are eternally irrevocably blessed and saved for it. Yes,Judas was saved.Because it wasn't he who betrayed Jesus. He "was a devil", because Satan was within. As Jesus would know.

When Judas realized what he'd done,after Satan left him, he repented. And then took his own life out of guilt.
The Father forgave him. For Judas,as Judas, did not know what he was doing.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

There's also a debate about Judas hanging himself. Matthew 27:5 says Judas hung himself.

Then there's this...

Acts 1:18
18 Now this man purchased a field with the reward of iniquity;
and falling headlong, he burst asunder in the midst, and all his bowels gushed out.
KJV

Was that from being hung, or was there foul play (i.e., murder by the priests who paid him?).

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There's also a debate about Judas hanging himself. Matthew 27:5 says Judas hung himself.

Then there's this...

Acts 1:18
18 Now this man purchased a field with the reward of iniquity;
and falling headlong, he burst asunder in the midst, and all his bowels gushed out.
KJV

Was that from being hung, or was there foul play (i.e., murder by the priests who paid him?).
And that place where he fell headlong is known as Aceldama, that is to say, The field of blood.

How could Judas have purchased that place when in a different passage we are told he returned the 30 pieces of silver to the high priest?

Going with Acts 1, if Judas had hanged himself and the rope eventually rotted and broke,his decaying body would likely fall. Maybe not headlong but it would fall. And his intestines spill out.
Is he going to receive eternal life? Peter et al did not think so. See Was Judas Iscariot saved?
Another thing. Peter et al, do not know what God shall do.

However,we might consider the narrative.

Jesus was born to die.

He was the last perfect unblemished lamb to be sacrificed on the cross,altar,for sins. Of the whole world.

Jesus The Christ. The Word,made flesh.God,with us.

They took his life because he let them. They were able to take it because Satan,through Judas, sealed his own defeat as Lord of death .

Fascinating.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I can’t prove it and it’s not up to me to decide. But I say Judas had a change of heart by the words and not by “repent” or “remorse” but what happened out from that sorrow.. is it Godly sorrow? Or worldly sorrow? One leads to repentance…
Matthew 27:3-5 Then Judas, which had betrayed him, when he saw that he was condemned, repented himself, and brought again the thirty pieces of silver to the chief priests and elders, [4] Saying, I have sinned in that I have betrayed the innocent blood. And they said, What is that to us? see thou to that. [5] And he cast down the pieces of silver in the temple, and departed, and went and hanged himself.
Even on the cross “hung” next to Jesus a thief who said to the other …we deserve to be here but this man has done nothing wrong. Judas said “I have sinned in that I betrayed innocent blood.” Not speaking lightly of Him who Judas betrayed. What stands out to me is those religious in the temple asked “what is that to us”?
two thieves that had two different reactions to what they had done…Judas and the chief priest and elders …”I have sinned in that I have betrayed innocent blood” and “what’s that to us?” Judas very easily could have asked them “do you not fear God, seeing you are in the same condemnation?”

Luke 23:39-41 - And one of the malefactors which were hanged railed on him, saying, If thou be Christ, save thyself and us.
40 But the other answering rebuked him, saying, Do not thou fear God, seeing you are in the same condemnation?
41 And we indeed justly; for we receive the due reward of our deeds: but this man hath done nothing amiss.

Last edited:

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes,Judas was saved.Because it wasn't he who betrayed Jesus. He "was a devil", because Satan was within. As Jesus would know.
Interesting. That stood out to me also about the thieves crucified with Him. Good points. You said, “Yes,Judas was saved.Because it wasn't he who betrayed Jesus. He "was a devil", because Satan was within. As Jesus would know.”

Reminds me of Romans 7:16-25 If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good. ( I think Judas did when he said “I have sinned and betrayed innocent blood) —what comes next reminds me of what you pointed out —[17] Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwells in me. [18] For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not. [19] For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do. [20] Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me. [21] I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me. [22] For I delight in the law of God after the inward man: [23] But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members. [24] O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death? [25] I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Interesting. That stood out to me also about the thieves crucified with Him. Good points. You said, “Yes,Judas was saved.Because it wasn't he who betrayed Jesus. He "was a devil", because Satan was within. As Jesus would know.”

Reminds me of Romans 7:16-25 If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good. ( I think Judas did when he said “I have sinned and betrayed innocent blood) —what comes next reminds me of what you pointed out —[17] Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwells in me. [18] For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not. [19] For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do. [20] Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me. [21] I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me. [22] For I delight in the law of God after the inward man: [23] But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members. [24] O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death? [25] I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.
Thanks for your post. :)

Tommy Cool

Jul 17, 2022
HIGHLAND,MI
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here is what I was talking about (Tony should remember this)

____________________________________________________________________________________

Judas death….

We have one scripture in Matthew that has thrown us off regarding Judas death and we have concluded he took his life prior to the crucifixion … but that is not so according to the Word…..

The Author ....(that would be God) has him alive up until the ascension.

The first thing to remember when it comes too apparent contradictions… is that “there are no contradictions in the Bible”. Errors in transmission, deliberate forgeries, mistranslation, or misunderstanding are all causes for what appears, as apparent contradictions.

Mat 27:5 seems to indicate that Judas hanged himself before the crucifixion.
And he cast down the pieces of silver in the temple, and departed, and went and hanged himself.

Because of this one verse in Matthew we have always thought that Judas immediately went out and hanged himself, but the verse in 1Co 15:5-7 and the records (together) in both Luk 24:33-36 and Jhn 20:20-24 in addition to Act 1:2-10 show Judas being present after the resurrection, which is a notable or apparent contradiction.↓

1Co 15:4-7 ....4.)And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: 15:5 And that he was seen of Cephas, “then of the twelve”

And↓…These two accounts are of the same event. (
I am not printing all the verses to save space.)

Luk 24:33-36 …. 33.) And they rose up the same hour, and returned to Jerusalem, and found the eleven gathered together, and them that were with them,

Jhn 20:20-24…. 24.) But Thomas, one of the twelve, called Didymus, was not with them when Jesus came.

It was Thomas not Judas who was absent.

The record in Act 1:2-10 I will get into in a moment, but first I wish to clarify what may be a misunderstanding.

Because God is perfect, so also is His word in its original form. So when we run across something that doesn’t fit or appears to contradict itself, we must look in one of the above four categories; in this case it has to be “misunderstanding” of the words “hanged himself” in Mat 27:5.

The word translated hanged himself in the King James version is apanchomai from the Greek word apanchô it is used only once in the New Testament.

When there is a lack of supporting biblical scripture from which to garner information in defining a word, extrabiblical or historical writings may be considered ....not as God breathed... but to render some clarity of it’s use.

(1.) In classic literature it means to “strangle” or “to choke” and is used figuratively to mean “to choke with anger” or “grief”

(2.) The Expositor’s Greek Testament makes note of Grotius, who suggests that apanchô points to death by grief… rather than literal choking.

This is correct only to the extent that Judas did not die immediately in Matthew 27, but he was extremely grieved over the betrayal.

(3.)This figurative usage is also verified in the classical writings Aristophanes

(1.) Henry G. Liddell and Robert Scott. A Greek – English Lexicon, rev. by Henry S. Jones {1843; 9th ed., Oxford Press} 1940 p.174
(2.) W. Robertson Nicoll, The Expositor’s Greek Testament, 6 vols. {London Hodder and Stoughton, 1897} 1:323.
(3.) Aristophanes Vespae 686.

This seems to be what this word “hanged himself” suggest and would fit with the emotional torment and grief that Judas would be going through. I would hope that none of you have had to endure such grief …I have ...(not from betrayal) and I can understand the incapacitation from grief that Judas may have felt after betraying not just a friend, but also someone who you now realize was the redeemer for Israel.

There is a greater depth to his betrayal culturally that we must also understand in order to fully grasps the agonizing grief that was taking hold of Judas; and that is “the covenant of salt.” (( salt covenant and additional information below))

Cont'd

Tommy Cool

Jul 17, 2022
HIGHLAND,MI
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But if Judas is alive after the resurrection ………..when and how did he die? We have already seen in the aforementioned verses

(1Co 15:5-7) ..... (Luk 24:33-36/Jhn 20:20-24)… that Judas was still alive after the resurrection…..By following the pronouns from in Acts verse 3 through 10 gives us an indication of what took place

Act 1:1- 11
Acts 1:1 The former treaties (scrolls of Luke) have I made O Theophilus (beloved of God) of all that Jesus began both to do and teach.

2. Until the day in which He was taken up after that He through the Holy Ghost had given commandments unto the apostles (Luk 6:13-16) whom he had chosen:

3. To whom he shewed himself alive after his passion by many infallible proofs, being seen of them (the 12 apostles whom he had chosen) forty days and speaking of the things pertaining to the Kingdom of God.

4. And being assembled together with them commanded them (the 12) that they should not depart from Jerusalem, but wait for the promise of the Father which saith he, ye have heard of me.

5. For John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence.

6. When they (the 12) therefore were come together they (the 12) asked of Him, saying, “Lord, wilt Thou at this time restore again the kingdom if Israel?

7. And He said unto them, (the 12) it is not for you to know the times or the seasons, which the Father hath put in His own power.

8. But ye shall receive power after that the holy ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Judaea, and in Samaria and unto the uttermost parts of the earth.

9. And when He had spoken these things, while they (the 12) beheld, he was taken up; and a cloud received him out of their sight.

10. And while they (the 12) looked steadfastly toward heaven as he went up, behold, two men stood by them in white apparel.

11. Which also said, Ye men of Galilee, ((the 11)) why stand ye gazing up into heaven? This same Jesus, which was taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven.

Sometime between verse 10 and verse 11 Judas Iscariot left to commit suicide. We know this by following the pronouns from verse three to verse 10, speaking of “the apostles whom Jesus had chosen” in verse two.

In verse eleven it changes from “them” to “ye men of Galilee,” Judas Iscariot was the only non-Galilean, he was from Kerioth, a town in Judea. We do not know how much time took place between verse 10 and 11, but it was sufficient time for Judas to take a hike, and shortly thereafter…. take his life.

I understand this is contrary to what most of us have been taught about the death of Judas, but God is the author, and clearly the author shows Judas being alive after the resurrection,

that is what the Word says and that is what it means ….we just read and believe …………end of story …..well not quite the end ….…

What happened to Judas is explained in Acts 1:18 Now this man purchased a field with the reward of iniquity; and falling headlong, he burst asunder in the midst, and all his bowels gushed out.

Even after seeing Jesus at least three times, and having been forgiven by the Lord, it must have been too much for him to cope with. Through his agonizing grief opened himself up to being possessed with the spirit of suicide, impaling himself on a sharp instrument, possibly sword, or a sharp stake. Which was typical in those times.

Tommy Cool

Jul 17, 2022
HIGHLAND,MI
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is the covenant of salt?

The salt covenant is an oriental custom still in practice today. It means that when you partook in the covenant, be it from salted food, drink, or exchanged a pinch of salt at the marriage ceremony, your words were your bond, you would never …..even at the cost of death, betray that person you had a covenant with.

There is no reference I could give you, at least in western culture that would equal that of the covenant of salt. It is so honored that you could leave a known thief with all your worldly possessions and money, and not worry about a thing if you had a covenant of salt with that person. It is an agreement that is meant to endure regardless of the circumstances. It was an ancient symbol of unbreakable friendships and alliances that were to be preserved. Such agreements are solid, unbreakable and everlasting…..a promise of fidelity. If I come to your house and eat food with you which has been seasoned with salt, I can never betray you or do you harm. Even if you commit a crime and I am asked to testify, I cannot do it because I have eaten salt with you. Perhaps I may come to you and try to persuade you to do the right thing, but I would die before I would break the covenant of salt.

The honorable thing to do if you broke the covenant…. was to commit suicide, and if you did not, someone else would be obliged to do it for you.
Many references of salted words and salt covenant are found throughout the old and New Testament; Judas… as did the rest of the Apostles, had a salt covenant with Jesus.

The two fields

Judas was numbered with the apostles and had obtained part of this ministry. He was expected to be present on the day of Pentecost.
He (Judas) had purchased a property = (chorion) ….Not a field = (agros) that the chief priests had purchased in Matthew using the thirty pieces of silver that Judas had thrown back to them.

Judas himself purchased his property (a small lot) for himself ….he was a thief, and had the bag, and bare what was put therein (Jhn 12:6) He was the treasurer for the apostles and had been stealing from the apostles and used this money to buy his own property. This is the "reward of iniquity" the Word of God is talking about - not the thirty pieces of silver.

Now, during the ten days between the ascension of Jesus Christ and the day of Pentecost the eleven were living in an upper room as noted in Act 1:13. That is where they lived, ate, and slept. It is not where the outpouring on the day of Pentecost took place. They were as Act 1:14 states …These all continued with one accord in prayer and supplication, with the women, and Mary the mother of Jesus, and with his brethren.

They were in the temple at the hours of prayer. It could not be the upper room as no women were allowed in the sleeping quarters of men and vice versa, and you could never fit the about 120 in a sleeping quarters. The selection of Matthias also took place in the temple. However, the original outpouring was with the 11 plus Matthias (12) in the temple not about 120 if you follow the pronouns from Act 1:26 …. And Act 2:14 confirms that. The word house (oikos) in Act 2:2 can refer to a house but not the upper room = (hyperōon). Oikos is used of the Temple in several places throughout the Word.

Last edited: