King Saul was a tragic hero

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Initially, Saul was a hero. He was humble. God chose him to be the first king of God's people, 1 Samuel 10:

1 Then Samuel took a flask of olive oil and poured it on Saul’s head and kissed him, saying, “Has not the Lord anointed you ruler over his inheritance? ... 15 Saul’s uncle said, “Tell me what Samuel said to you.”
16 Saul replied, “He assured us that the donkeys had been found.” But he did not tell his uncle what Samuel had said about the kingship.
Saul was cool. Not many can contain such huge news from God.

He was decisive and courageous in his first military engagement (1 Samuel 11). He showed incredible leadership, fit to be the king.

Later, however, things changed for Saul. He disobeyed God, 1 Samuel 13:

13“You have done a foolish thing,” Samuel said. “You have not kept the command the Lord your God gave you; if you had, he would have established your kingdom over Israel for all time. 14But now your kingdom will not endure; the Lord has sought out a man after his own heart and appointed him ruler of his people, because you have not kept the Lord’s command.”
This was the beginning of Saul's downfall. After this, he made one mistake after another. His tragic flaw was pride. He refused to accept David, God's second anointed to be king. He held on to his power to the bitter end. I see Saul as a tragic hero and a foil for David's character.

Reactions: amadeus

Wick Stick

Sep 21, 2023
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What if Saul was really a hero, but fell victim to a massive disinformation campaign? :IDK:

Do you think he had a blonde comb-over?

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Initially, Saul was a hero. He was humble. God chose him to be the first king of God's people, 1 Samuel 10:

Saul was cool. Not many can contain such huge news from God.

He was decisive and courageous in his first military engagement (1 Samuel 11). He showed incredible leadership, fit to be the king.

Later, however, things changed for Saul. He disobeyed God, 1 Samuel 13:

This was the beginning of Saul's downfall. After this, he made one mistake after another. His tragic flaw was pride. He refused to accept David, God's second anointed to be king. He held on to his power to the bitter end. I see Saul as a tragic hero and a foil for David's character.
I don't think of King Saul as a hero.

Jim C

Sep 5, 2023
Lynnwood
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Like many, his power went to his head. Not even David was immune (just ask Uriah).
Don't know about being a hero, but he is certainly an precautionary example of the price of disobedience to God.