"Labor To Rest" -Netchaplain

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Netchaplain

Ordained Chaplain
Oct 12, 2011
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Our rest is from something in order to rest in something. The concept is to rest or cease (as God causes us to) from the works we think can add to the labors of which Christ has already performed for our sin atonement and our justification, which prepares us to rest or confide only in the ongoing works of Christ in our life.

To often we may seek credit, for what ever reason, in what we do but, as we know, what we do is not of us but of God. "For it is God who works in you both to will and to do for [His] good pleasure" Phil 2:13.

A Christian speaker once said, "The effortless life is not the will-less life. We use our will to believe, to receive, but not to exert effort in trying to accomplish what only God can do. Our hope for victory over sin is not 'Christ plus my efforts,' but 'Christ plus my receiving.' To receive victory from Him is to believe His Word that solely by His grace He is, this moment, freeing us from the dominion of sin. And to believe on Him in this way is to recognize that He is doing for us what we cannot do for ourselves." We learned this principle at the time of our spiritual birth, and it seems that most of us have to learn it all over again for our spiritual growth and service. Fear not, dear friend; just hold firm to the fact of His purpose for you in Christ, and He will faithfully take you step by step into all the necessary preparation -- He will do it. Once you are sure of the purpose, you can be equally positive of the preparation. Simply remember that Romans 8:28 and 29 go together, and thank Him for Philippians 1:6." Charles Trumbull.

"For he that is entered into His rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God [did] from His (ceased from works of this creation and never to be repeated). "Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief." Heb 4:10,11.

To Your Growth In Christ

Netchaplain

Ordained Chaplain
Oct 12, 2011
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks Insight for your complement!

I also find Phil 2:6 interesting in that most of the bible translations misinterpret this passage by interpolating.

Check 2 Sam 21:19 and see if it reads that "Elhanan killed Goliath" because it should read that he killed "the brother of Goliath" as all versions have it correct in the re-account of 1 Chron 20:1. There are many Greek NT problems in translation with the modern versions because they use invalid manuscripts as we see in this example of a true errant reading contradicting itself with these two passages. Of course this test passage is Old Testament Hebrew.

Let me know what you think!

Insight

Aug 7, 2011
Thanks Insight for your complement!

I also find Phil 2:6 interesting in that most of the bible translations misinterpret this passage by interpolating.

Check 2 Sam 21:19 and see if it reads that "Elhanan killed Goliath" because it should read that he killed "the brother of Goliath" as all versions have it correct in the re-account of 1 Chron 20:1. There are many Greek NT problems in translation with the modern versions because they use invalid manuscripts as we see in this example of a true errant reading contradicting itself with these two passages. Of course this test passage is Old Testament Hebrew.

Let me know what you think!

Yes 2 Sam 21:19NKJV is in italics. It matters not in my view as Goliath represented all his brothers, clan etc. Little textual issues can be resolve with careful consideration and comparing scripture with scripture 1 Cor 2:13KJV

Looking foward to your response on Phil 2:6 (other thread)

Insight

Perspectives

Aug 12, 2011
Northwest
Our rest is from something in order to rest in something. The concept is to rest or cease (as God causes us to) from the works we think can add to the labors of which Christ has already performed for our sin atonement and our justification, which prepares us to rest or confide only in the ongoing works of Christ in our life.

To often we may seek credit, for what ever reason, in what we do but, as we know, what we do is not of us but of God. "For it is God who works in you both to will and to do for [His] good pleasure" Phil 2:13.

A Christian speaker once said, "The effortless life is not the will-less life. We use our will to believe, to receive, but not to exert effort in trying to accomplish what only God can do. Our hope for victory over sin is not 'Christ plus my efforts,' but 'Christ plus my receiving.' To receive victory from Him is to believe His Word that solely by His grace He is, this moment, freeing us from the dominion of sin. And to believe on Him in this way is to recognize that He is doing for us what we cannot do for ourselves." We learned this principle at the time of our spiritual birth, and it seems that most of us have to learn it all over again for our spiritual growth and service. Fear not, dear friend; just hold firm to the fact of His purpose for you in Christ, and He will faithfully take you step by step into all the necessary preparation -- He will do it. Once you are sure of the purpose, you can be equally positive of the preparation. Simply remember that Romans 8:28 and 29 go together, and thank Him for Philippians 1:6." Charles Trumbull.

"For he that is entered into His rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God [did] from His (ceased from works of this creation and never to be repeated). "Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief." Heb 4:10,11.

To Your Growth In Christ
As I see it, God did it and we do it. He'll not share His glory with another that isn't transparent. For those that are becomming so, people will see through the man and percieve the King within and His attributes radiating forth to the lost, hurting and dying.The core problem is that most of His children are paralyzed by grace. Grace is opposed to earning, but not opposed to effort. For example, everybody wants a breakthrough, few are willing to be broken. Many want that second wind, but again, precious few are willing to hit the wall. On the other side is the rest/ceasing from all human attempts to build our own version of The Kingdom of God and expect He will approve of it. After all, didn't Jesus say He would build it? Learning to rest in the Biblical sense is vital to growing up to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ.