Let's discuss commentaries.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I use Bible Hub, and for any help from commentaries Matthew Henry and John Gill are generally sound (though they hold to Reformed Theology). Jamieson, Fausset, and Brown also help.
Aren't Jamieson, Fausset and brown also Reformed?

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your commentary is very liberal, check the reviews sister, don't allow your stephanos laurel to slip...since, in your holiness, you have already recieved your crowns.....

There are five heavenly crowns mentioned in the New Testament that will be awarded to believers. They are the imperishable crown, the crown of rejoicing, the crown of righteousness, the crown of glory, and the crown of life. The Greek word translated “crown” is stephanos (the source for the name Stephen the martyr) and means “a badge of royalty, a prize in the public games or a symbol of honor generally.” Used during the ancient Greek games, it referred to a wreath or garland of leaves placed on a victor’s head as a reward for winning an athletic contest. As such, this word is used figuratively in the New Testament of the rewards of heaven God promises those who are faithful. Paul’s passage in 1 Corinthians 9:24-25 best defines for us how these crowns are awarded.

1) The Imperishable Crown – (1 Corinthians 9:24-25) “Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may obtain it. And everyone who competes for the prize is temperate [disciplined] in all things. Now they do it to obtain a perishable crown, but we for an imperishable crown” (NKJV). All things on this earth are subject to decay and will perish. Jesus urges us to not store our treasures on earth “where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal” (Matthew 6:19). This is analogous to what Paul was saying about that wreath of leaves that was soon to turn brittle and fall apart. But not so the heavenly crown; faithful endurance wins a heavenly reward which is “an inheritance incorruptible and undefiled and that does not fade away, reserved in heaven for you” (1 Peter 1:4).

2) The Crown of Rejoicing – (1 Thessalonians 2:19) “For what is our hope, or joy, or crown of rejoicing? Is it not even you in the presence of our Lord Jesus Christ at His coming?” The apostle Paul tells us in Philippians 4:4 to “rejoice always in the Lord” for all the bountiful blessings our gracious God has showered upon us. As Christians we have more in this life to rejoice about than anyone else. Luke tells us there is rejoicing even now in heaven (Luke 15:7). The crown of rejoicing will be our reward where “God will wipe away every tear . . . there shall be no more death, nor sorrow, nor crying. There shall be no more pain, for the former things have passed away” (Revelation 21:4).

3) The Crown of Righteousness – (2 Timothy 4:8) “Finally, there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give to me on that Day, and not to me only but also to all who have loved His appearing.” We inherit this crown through the righteousness of Christ which is what gives us a right to it, and without which it cannot be obtained. Because it is obtained and possessed in a righteous way, and not by force and deceit as earthly crowns sometimes are, it is an everlasting crown, promised to all who love the Lord and eagerly wait for His return. Through our enduring discouragements, persecutions, sufferings, or even death, we know assuredly our reward is with Christ in eternity (Philippians 3:20). This crown is not for those who depend upon their own sense of righteousness or of their own works. Such an attitude breeds only arrogance and pride, not a longing, a fervent desire to be with the Lord.

4) The Crown of Glory – (1 Peter 5:4) “And when the Chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the crown of glory that does not fade away.” Though Peter is addressing the elders, we must also remember that the crown will be awarded to all those who long for or love His appearing. This word “glory” is an interesting word referring to the very nature of God and His actions. It entails His great splendor and brightness. Recall Stephen who, while being stoned to death, was able to look into the heavens and see the glory of God (Acts 7:55-56). This word also means that the praise and honor we bestow to God alone is due Him because of who He is (Isaiah 42:8, 48:11; Galatians 1:5). It also recognizes that believers are incredibly blessed to enter into the kingdom, into the very likeness of Christ Himself. For as Paul so eloquently put it, “For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us” (Romans 8:18 NKJV).

5) The Crown of Life – (Revelation 2:10) “Do not fear any of those things which you are about to suffer. Indeed, the devil is about to throw some of you into prison, that you may be tested, and you will have tribulation ten days. Be faithful until death, and I will give you the crown of life.” This crown is for all believers, but is especially dear to those who endure sufferings, who bravely confront persecution for Jesus, even to the point of death. In Scripture the word “life” is often used to show a relationship that is right with God. It was Jesus who said, “I have come that they may have life and that they may have it more abundantly” (John 10:10). Just as things such as air, food, and water are vital for our physical lives, Jesus provides us what is required for our spiritual lives. He is the One who provides “living water.” He is the “bread of life” (John 4:10, 6:35). We know that our earthly lives will end. But we have the amazing promise that comes only to those who come to God through Jesus: “And this is the promise that He has promised us—eternal life” (1 John 2:25).

James tells us that this crown of life is for all those who love God (James 1:12). The question then is how do we demonstrate our love for God? The apostle John answers this for us: “For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments. And His commandments are not burdensome” (1 John 5:3). As His children we must keep His commandments, obeying Him, always remaining faithful. So, as we endure the inevitable trials, pains, heartaches, and tribulations—as long as we live—may we ever move forward, always “looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith” (Hebrews 12:2) and receive the crown of life that awaits us.

J.

I asked what your theology is. I told you I'm neither Calvinist nor Arminian. So what are you. Be honest.

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
I'm neither, so what are you? Be honest.

I asked what your theology is. I told you I'm neither Calvinist nor Arminian. So what are you. Be honest.
...so that you can put a "label" on me?
I'll left you hanging on that one sister, way too many denominations on this earth, and on this platform.
J.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Probably. But one has to use discernment with commentators anyhow. Even Calvin's commentaries are actually biblical, believe it or not!
I have it. Also Matthew Henry, and scores of others. I've been collecting them for decades. I found them ridiculous most of the time. The only one I found to be accurate to what a verse actually means is The Abingdon Bible Commentary. All the othera agreed with each other, whereas the Abingdon was sound on those scriptures.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
...so that you can put a "label" on me?
I'll left you hanging on that one sister, way too many denominations on this earth, and on this platform.
J.

Honsesty is not your cup of tea I see. I'm an open book. Nothing to hide.

Christians are always ready with an answer for their beliefs. No deception.

Last edited:

Rockerduck

Nov 7, 2022
Marietta, Georgia.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I used to teach and I now attend Sunday school. Sometimes I have to correct the teacher.

I have the Thomas Nelson Believer's commentary, J. Vernon McGee's thru the bible, Liberty University commentary, IVP. Weirsbe, and John MacArthur's commentaries. I also have a set of the Smart Guide to the bible.

I use them for perspective of another thought and agreement with what I interpreted as correct. Also for background in the historical facts in the time. They are valuable as preaching and teaching tools.

Reactions: Lambano and Johann

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have e sword, with a couple of commentaries.

Which ones are good, to help us get a better understanding on to make Scriptures applicable in our lives?

Please don't comment to those who don't "like" secondary resources.
None of them. They are biased. Your Bible is it's own commentary.

Reactions: 1stCenturyLady

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I used to teach and I now attend Sunday school. Sometimes I have to correct the teacher.

I have the Thomas Nelson Believer's commentary, J. Vernon McGee's thru the bible, Liberty University commentary, IVP. Weirsbe, and John MacArthur's commentaries. I also have a set of the Smart Guide to the bible.

I use them for perspective of another thought and agreement with what I interpreted as correct. Also for background in the historical facts in the time. They are valuable as preaching and teaching tools.
Yikes. John MacArthur mocks holiness. He doesn't believe Jesus takes away our sin. Psalms 1:1, don't be among the scoffers.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, scriptures explains scripture. Also once you have been taught by the Holy Spirit for years and have learned what the scriptures mean, it is fun to see which commentaries agree with HIM. I was astonished that there was only one. The Abingdon Bible Commentary had the most correct answers. All the others agree with each other but NOT the Spirit.

Reactions: Truther

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, scriptures explains scripture. Also once you have been taught by the Holy Spirit for years and have learned what the scriptures mean, it is fun to see which commentaries agree with HIM. I was astonished that there was only one. The Abingdon Bible Commentary had the most correct answers. All the others agree with each other but NOT the Spirit.
I had to toss commentary as I gradually understood the Bible, clearer. The commentaries only taught me to presuppose ideas, not rightly divide the word.

There was no commentary for the early church, but only the refreshing word of God.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can you imagine a modern commentator standing with Peter at Pentecost as he commanded them to be baptized in the name of Jesus for the remission of their sins(..."what Peter really means is...")....LOL.

Well, they hacked Peter up in modern times alright!

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Honsesty is not your cup of tea I see. I'm an open book. Nothing to hide.

Christians are always ready with an answer for their beliefs. No deception.

I know who I am, do you?
I am fully aware commentaries are biased, so what? Eat the chicken, spit out the sticks, yes?
J.

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Can you imagine a modern commentator standing with Peter at Pentecost as he commanded them to be baptized in the name of Jesus for the remission of their sins(..."what Peter really means is...")....LOL.

Well, they hacked Peter up in modern times alright!
Depends.

και εν τω συμπληρουσθαι την ημεραν της πεντηκοστης ησαν απαντες ομοθυμαδον επι το αυτο
και εγενετο αφνω εκ του ουρανου ηχος ωσπερ φερομενης πνοης βιαιας και επληρωσεν ολον τον οικον ου ησαν καθημενοι
και ωφθησαν αυτοις διαμεριζομεναι γλωσσαι ωσει πυρος εκαθισεν τε εφ ενα εκαστον αυτων
και επλησθησαν απαντες πνευματος αγιου και ηρξαντο λαλειν ετεραις γλωσσαις καθως το πνευμα εδιδου αυτοις αποφθεγγεσθαι
ησαν δε εν ιερουσαλημ κατοικουντες ιουδαιοι ανδρες ευλαβεις απο παντος εθνους των υπο τον ουρανον
γενομενης δε της φωνης ταυτης συνηλθεν το πληθος και συνεχυθη οτι ηκουον εις εκαστος τη ιδια διαλεκτω λαλουντων αυτων
εξισταντο δε παντες και εθαυμαζον λεγοντες προς αλληλους ουκ ιδου παντες ουτοι εισιν οι λαλουντες γαλιλαιοι
και πως ημεις ακουομεν εκαστος τη ιδια διαλεκτω ημων εν η εγεννηθημεν
παρθοι και μηδοι και ελαμιται και οι κατοικουντες την μεσοποταμιαν ιουδαιαν τε και καππαδοκιαν ποντον και την ασιαν
φρυγιαν τε και παμφυλιαν αιγυπτον και τα μερη της λιβυης της κατα κυρηνην και οι επιδημουντες ρωμαιοι ιουδαιοι τε και προσηλυτοι
κρητες και αραβες ακουομεν λαλουντων αυτων ταις ημετεραις γλωσσαις τα μεγαλεια του θεου
εξισταντο δε παντες και διηπορουν αλλος προς αλλον λεγοντες τι αν θελοι τουτο ειναι
ετεροι δε χλευαζοντες ελεγον οτι γλευκους μεμεστωμενοι εισιν

Now we need to read and study the morphology, Basic Greek and Hebrew, the etymology etc.
Some go online for the info, I have it right here.

J.

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa

McGee and Wiersbe, excellent reviews on them.
I wonder if there are more Greek and Hebrew commentaries, I have Robertson and Vincent, but very condensed...I also have the ultimate cross reference treasure.

Any ideas on exegetical commentaries?
J.

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
I have it. Also Matthew Henry, and scores of others. I've been collecting them for decades. I found them ridiculous most of the time. The only one I found to be accurate to what a verse actually means is The Abingdon Bible Commentary. All the othera agreed with each other, whereas the Abingdon was sound on those scriptures.
Really?

J.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know who I am, do you?
I am fully aware commentaries are biased, so what? Eat the chicken, spit out the sticks, yes?
J.
I just think commentaries are about 50% correct. Not enough for my scriptural taste buds to ingest.