Life Cycle of the Believer

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

manichunter

Jun 2, 2008
Is there a believer life cycle?This is something we teach at our church that has helped us greatly. I think others might want to know. If you disagree, let me know. This might be a little controversial. We believe that the christian spiritual rebirth immulates the natural maturing, learning, and responsibility process. This process comes from Scripture and the Biblical talmid system. It was followed by Jesus Himself in the training and equipping of His disciples. It is illustrated from as far back as Moses/Joshua, Elijah/Elisha and Eli/Samuel.We start first with what we call a believer. This is equated with a new born baby and young child (1Pe 2:2) . This a person who has been born again spiritually and needs intensive care and direction. They remain mostly dependant and stuck in an infantile spiritual state (Heb 5:13). They have very little knowledge and application of Truth. They might know a ot of Scripture and still not know alot of truth. This is not an age dependent thing. A person can remain a believer throughout their entire life if they do not yearn or strive for the next step in the life cycle. In order to go to the next level, the believer is going to have make a few basic commitments and sacrifices. They are going to have pick up their own cross, deny themselves, and be a disciple (follower/talmid) of Yeshua (Mt 16:24). They will have to have a change of mindset and affections towards heaven and away from the material world and its treasures (Col 3:1). If they never strive for the next level, they will remain mostly spiritually ignorant, dependent and entrapped by the world's lust and material lures. This is the largest group of any congregation.Next we have the disciple. This the equated to a teenager enrolled in an apprenticeship program. This person has committed to live in spirit and truth. They want to achieve their personal calling. Normal life, lust for worldly things, and the devil will not stop. They desire to strive towards the mark of their high calling. They want meat and a personal knowledge of their Lord. They have committed to the three phases of discipleship in accordance with the Scriptural culture of Yeshua. Yeshua followed this pattern of discipleship in His three years of ministry. Discipleship consist of the learning phase, character building phase, and the application phase. The learning phase is for the disciple to learn spiritual truths, knowledge, and revelations. It mostly a sit down and record phase as the instructor passes his knowledge onto his apprentices. The character building phase is for the disciple to be edified, refined, and molded into the character required for achieving their personal calling. It is by afflictions and sufferings that God changes the character of His disciples. This is like bootcamp. Many drop out doing this phase back into the crowd with the believers. This is when a person gets introduced to their calling asked of them by God because the training gets specific and detailed.The application phase is when the disciple starts applying what they know under supervision and monitoring. It is here where they start experimenting with what they know so they can develop wisdom (THIS IS WHERE I AM IN THE DISCIPLESHIP PROCESS). They are starting to walk in the steps of their calling. They are learning how to instruct and shepherd God's people in a teachers' aid role. They are being made ready to go to the next level of life cycle of the believer. God starts putting them on the battlefield where they can fight face to face with their enemy in his full fury. This has proven difficult for me personally. I have personaly been attacked so viciously that I feel like screaming now. Then we have the servant. This equated to an adult up to the age of retirement. Now a person is walking and living their calling everyday. They have been equipped with the knowledge, character, and wisdom to instruct and shepherd the people of God. Their calling is now heading towards something new called a destiny. They are the leaders, instructors, and shepherds of the whole discipleship system. They are the elders. It is their responsibility to prepare the next generation for leadership. If this servant position is never developed in a local body, then the body is in a world of hurt. It would scare most churches to learn that their pastor is still a disciple himself. This why a lot of local bodies fall apart after a pastor leaves. No one was groomed to step in and properly fulfill the servants role. Lastly we have the Master-Servant. This is equated to a senior citizen. I will not go into this one much because few people ever reach it (Moses, Elijah, and Paul got here). This person has accomplished their destiny. Now they are waiting to fly to their master. They have finished their course as Paul said. The rest of their life is just gravy for the benefit of others. They are the senor advisors with the greatest amount of wisdom. They are able to fulfill multiple servant roles in a pinch if required. This office is woefully missed.What do you think? Are we half crazy to receive and implement this discipleship system?Let me know.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
No,Its not crazy at all, I like it alot very well putIt is in fact written as you say, most know it as Milk or Meatbecause a baby in the word only has the milk then God says come to me as a little child that is hungry to learn without preconceived ideas of this world. But with open mind and willing/wanting to learn. Then comes the meat the deeper things of his Word. Many start having difficulty here because they failed at step two. Letting the ways of the World and words of Men teach them instead of listening to God. Or find the work to get ready for step three is to difficult.Or they get a little meat and think they know it all, without realizing its a continuing processthey mistakenly think they are at the End instead of the beginning.Now I havent broken it down as you have but the same holds true. I think breaking it down to smaller divisions as you have may help many to understand this process.Nice post Manichunter hope many read this and see the wisdom in it.

Richard_oti

Mar 17, 2008
(manichunter;52561)
What do you think? Are we half crazy to receive and implement this discipleship system?Let me know.
Discipleship is very important. In fact, IMO it is our duty.Timothy was clearly trained/discipled [cf 2 Tim 3:14-15].