Linux users

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

historyb

Mar 10, 2011
in a house
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Anyone use Linux? I have used Linux for about 23 years and right now I am using Linux Mint on the laptop I am typing on, Elementary OS on my second Laptop, and MX Linux on my new old Desktop but I may have to change to Windows because Linux does support my 2010 integrated video card.

Avalon1

Jun 2, 2020
NA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No I've never used Linux. I've always had Windows ever since Windows 95. Right now I have a brand new Windows 10 Acer desktop, it's well built and I haven't had any problems with it. It's just a standard home computer setup nothing fancy. I really like Windows 10.

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I used Linux Ubuntu for a bit. It was tricky, Hah.

I am using Windows 8 these days though. Linux is good if you really need to install an OS on your computer, and Windows has broken, hahaha.

historyb

Mar 10, 2011
in a house
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I had to return to the dark side on my Desktop and use Win 10 because AMD hasn't released video drivers for my card in Linux. I am going to get a new video card, most likely nvidia :). There are some Linux Distro's that are difficult but many are not like Linux Mint is really easy to use. I use Linux Mint on one laptop and here is a generic picture :)

iu

I also use Elementary OS which resembles Apple:

iu

Scoot

May 14, 2020
Victoria, Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Oh Linux - how I would love to run this as my primary OS!

I've used Linux over the years going back more than 20 - primarily for network routing (sharing a dialup connection for multiple computers on the same network back in the 90's), and as file servers.

I'm using Windows 10. Microsoft have actually gotten it right with this version of Windows - however I run a 3rd party firewall - and honestly - the amount of times the OS wants to 'phone home' and upload who knows what information is getting increasingly concerning.

With my job though, and all other things - I don't really have a choice. IMO - Linux is the best O/S out there - but when 90%+ of the people I deal with are using Windows - and I work in IT and need to support those people - it's very difficult to justify the pain in going Linux and running dual.

Reactions: historyb

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I finally made the jump to a Linux-alone system about a year ago and after trying a few dozen distros, I settled on MX Linux. It has a Debian Stable base, and some very useful tools. The stock version uses XFCE for a desktop, but I've switched to KDE Plasma. It has lots more custom configurability than X and more bells and whistles without the instability and heft of Windoze. I was trading cryptocurrency and Win10 kept crashing on me no matter which browser I used. I've never had Linux do this. Linux isn't for everyone, no matter what the lifers say. If you're uncomfortable with command-line interface, you're going to struggle. And then there's the services that make you run a Windows app (Amazon Music Unlimited HD comes to mind). My VPN provider has no GUI for Linux--command-line only.

Reactions: historyb

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not familiar with it...
PopOS and Zorin OS are friendly to new users. Acquaint yourself if you have time and like to tinker. I'm available for what meager help I can offer. PM me if you like.

historyb

Mar 10, 2011
in a house
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well I'm a lifer and I will say that Linux can be for everyone just like windoze is. Windoze wasn't for everyone either untill companies started selling computers with it installed. Any way you use what ever you need to to get the job done.:)

historyb

Mar 10, 2011
in a house
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

liafailrock

Jul 4, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Used Linux since 2011. First Ubuntu and then Mint. Presently my Linux computer video card tanked, but in the near future intending on loading another computer with Linux. Presently using a Chromebook also for 5 years now. Been bashing Microsoft since 2011 also. I won't ever use it for my personal computers again.

Reactions: BarneyFife

William00

Mar 13, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Anyone use Linux? I have used Linux for about 23 years and right now I am using Linux Mint on the laptop I am typing on, Elementary OS on my second Laptop, and MX Linux on my new old Desktop but I may have to change to Windows because Linux does support my 2010 integrated video card.

Linux user here. I have worked with Redhat, Fedora, and Ubuntu. I use Windows as well.

Orkan

Jan 30, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Brazil
Linux is a versatile and widely used operating system that offers a range of benefits to its users. Many individuals, including myself, have embraced Linux for its stability, security, and customizability. With a rich selection of distributions like Linux Mint, Elementary OS, and MX Linux, users can find a version that suits their needs and preferences. However, compatibility can sometimes be a challenge, particularly with older hardware or specific devices. In such cases, transitioning to Windows may be necessary to ensure full support. Nonetheless, Linux remains a robust choice for those seeking a reliable and efficient computing experience, and its vibrant community continues to improve hardware compatibility with each passing year.

M3n0r4h

Jun 3, 2023
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I had my current laptop set up for dual boot between windows 11 and ubuntu 21. Recently, I had my son in law install ubuntu mint which deleted windows 11. I have used ubuntu on and off since I had problems with windows vista, and had to load an older version of ubuntu that was included in a pc mag. I am satisfied with the ubuntu mint os, because I don't have any add on programs that used to need a crossover suite.