Lost Faith

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Garry

May 5, 2008
Hey.About 16-17 months ago i accepted Jesus as my saviour and Lord and became a Christian. I repented of my sins and tried to be good. I always confessed my sins to God and asked for forgivness.I really loved God and loved being a Christian. I was really moved by Christ's death for us.But in the last couple of months, i began to really dislike being a christian and ended up losing my faith. I'm now an Agnostic.The question i have for Christians is: i thought that once you accept jesus in your heart, you're guaranteed to be saved. I truly believed in Jesus as my god and saviour. So that means i was saved. So why did i lose faith? can one lose their salvation?

Red_Letters88

Jan 5, 2008
First of all, its NOT about you. Christ paid the price, his blood was shed. Our works would never get us out of the path we were headed for. Christs Grace is the only reason why you are saved. You say you experienced doubts, yet you drop off from there, without a fight. Listen to me, the closer you get to God in your life, and the more time you do things because you know what Christ has done, the HARDER its going to get. Take off that silly agnostic title, and pray. We have ALL experienced doubt, yet Christ always always always helps us- but first you have to go to Him about it. Forget everything else right now with any "spiritual journey" and ask the one who you know, good and well you know, died for you. He has not left the 99 sheep to go and find you, and then NOT bring you back close to Him. He is the good shephard. He knows his sheep and we should know him. Pray, as I will for you as well.

treeoflife

Apr 30, 2008
(Garry;48437)
Hey.About 16-17 months ago i accepted Jesus as my saviour and Lord and became a Christian. I repented of my sins and tried to be good. I always confessed my sins to God and asked for forgivness.I really loved God and loved being a Christian. I was really moved by Christ's death for us.But in the last couple of months, i began to really dislike being a christian and ended up losing my faith. I'm now an Agnostic.The question i have for Christians is: i thought that once you accept jesus in your heart, you're guaranteed to be saved. I truly believed in Jesus as my god and saviour. So that means i was saved. So why did i lose faith? can one lose their salvation?
I will say this... if you were saved... you are saved, period. Disbelief and unfaithfulness is a sin, and Jesus died for all sins.I will also say this... being moved by the death of someone who died as pationately as Jesus did, is not the same thing as submitting your life to His full will and being filled with the Spirit of God.The question is, were you saved. And now, this thread is going to get rocky, but that's my peace. If you were saved, you are saved... period.If you were not saved, filled with the Spirit of God in response to His calling... you were not and are not saved. Repentance is the act of turning to God... it is not that you must confess every sin... but only that you must confess this one sin... the sin of not believing in Him who God sent, Jesus Christ.If we were expected to confess all our sins, we would never stop repenting and salvation would never be reached. God only asks us to repent (turn to Him), acknowledging that we are in fact sinful, and trust Christ for our salvation and forgiveness of all sin.Repent (turn to God) and put your faith in Jesus for your salvation, and you will be saved.

Garry

May 5, 2008
Thanks people.:cool:Thing is, i did believe and understand what Jesus had done for me. I truly did beleive in him as my saviour. I didn't trust my good works to save me. I trusted Jesus to save me.When i started having doubts and problems with my faith, i prayed over and over again to God that he would help me love him again and help me lead a better life.But even when i asked God for help, my faith continued to slip. That's why i'm agnostic now.If christianity is true, then i don't really understand why i lost faith as there was a time when i truly accepted Jesus and truly loved him.

treeoflife

Apr 30, 2008
(Garry;48451)
Thanks people.:cool:Thing is, i did believe and understand what Jesus had done for me. I truly did beleive in him as my saviour. I didn't trust my good works to save me. I trusted Jesus to save me.When i started having doubts and problems with my faith, i prayed over and over again to God that he would help me love him again and help me lead a better life.But even when i asked God for help, my faith continued to slip. That's why i'm agnostic now.If christianity is true, then i don't really understand why i lost faith as there was a time when i truly accepted Jesus and truly loved him.
Only God knows. Great is the mystery of Godliness. He will either bring you back to Him, as you once were with Him, or you will remain reprobate concerning the faith as you are now. Only He knows.Just keep in mind, He is merciful, He died for you. He is also just to punish all sin... and it is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of an righteous angry God. You don't have to, because Jesus died for us all!
smile.gif
.And, you're welcome.

Garry

May 5, 2008
well if i was truly saved then i guess that one day i'll return to faith. thanks for the info.

Nyoka

Mar 26, 2008
Garry I know where you are. I have been there myself. I come from an atheist family. I knew nothing of God or Jesus when I came to Him. I felt good when I turned to Him. I truly believed as you did. Then the doubts crept in. I couldn't find the answers I needed to put my doubts to rest. I finally turned from God and left Him. I was apart from Him for a long time then I met two Christians who showed me that God loves me. He wants me. They showed me the story of the prodigal son and went through it with me. In this the son turned from his father and went out to live his life the way he thought he should. The father let him go. When the son returned he repented to his father. The father accepted the repentance but this was overshadowed by the joy the father had in his son coming home. The father gave a feast to tell everyone his son was home. He wanted everyone to know his joy at having his son home. The father's joy bubbled out of him so much. His son was home!!!That is how God is with us. He scans the horizon each day to see if we are returning. When He sees our dust on the horizon He runs forth to meet us. He is is so overjoyed to have us back. He holds a feast to tell everyone. He wants everyone to know. He is not ashamed or disappointed in us. He loved us first before the world was created. When I saw this I realized that I don't have to do anything, except repent and turn to Him, or be anything for Him to accept me. He loves me now before I come to Him. Once I realized this it was the start of my journey back to Him. Please know that even when we doubt Him He loves you and wants you back. I didn't know where to look for answers in the bible. That was the reason the doubts took hold and led me away from Him. Garry you need to get with Christians who are bible based and can answer you questions - or find the answer if they don't know. I will pray for you - while you are alive there is hope yet.
smile.gif

ForYou

Jan 21, 2008
God works in mysteroius ways. We must accept this,and just because you are saved does not mean you will not slip away,you just need to get back on track!!

Wakka

Jun 4, 2007
(Garry;48658)
well if i was truly saved then i guess that one day i'll return to faith. thanks for the info.
Now Jesus said, "Blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed." (John 20:29)We all start out very very weak. Satan does love to pull our strings. Some people are stronger than others. You need to spend your time around Christians/Bible/church. Those are the best things for you now. If you haven't felt the Holy Spirit, find a church that regularly has manifestations of the Spirit. After a while, the Spirit will stick around with you, and that's when the transformation occurs.Once this happens, you will be reborn and you'll become a new creature. The most striking characteristics is hate for sin and the sensitivity towards sin. You'll notice when someone cusses and you'll cringe. You'll become addicted to the Bible. And your faith will multiply.I would tell you about the gifts of the Holy Spirit. But some people here do not believe in the gift of tongues.
sad.gif
I do not believe that you're not saved. I think the reason why you registered to this forum was because God told you to register. You probably didn't hear a voice, but something inside of you was telling you to do so. Follow that voice.
wink.gif

Angel_Eyes

May 9, 2008
Garry,First of all, the more you listen to yourself and feel what is right the better you feel, the more you listen to human regulations the more you have to go with what others think. Im sorry I am not a christian I am a servant and I know very well that no one understands you but yourself and the more people think they understand you the more you feel you're all on your own because you're still looking for answers "right". This is what I see whats happening with you, you are looking for the truth, for example you are now a christian, then you seek another path, then another path, until you find the truth, well guess what god knows that you have wisdom because your intentions are true and faith has everything to do with it, so dont worry Garry, I know you still believe in Jesus because you have just been justified, because of what others dont understand.May God bless you brother,The Servant....

Wakka

Jun 4, 2007
Choose what's best for you. A life of sin and pain. Or a life with knowledge of salvation.

Garry

May 5, 2008
(Angel_Eyes;48772)
Garry,First of all, the more you listen to yourself and feel what is right the better you feel, the more you listen to human regulations the more you have to go with what others think. Im sorry I am not a christian I am a servant and I know very well that no one understands you but yourself and the more people think they understand you the more you feel you're all on your own because you're still looking for answers "right". This is what I see whats happening with you, you are looking for the truth, for example you are now a christian, then you seek another path, then another path, until you find the truth, well guess what god knows that you have wisdom because your intentions are true and faith has everything to do with it, so dont worry Garry, I know you still believe in Jesus because you have just been justified, because of what others dont understand.May God bless you brother,The Servant....
thanks to you and everyone else for the advice. But really, I'm not a christian anymore and i just don't believe in these things anymore. i used to believe. there was a time when i was jumping up and down and praising god and being overwhelmed with happiness but that was a long time ago.I know you think that i still believe but i really don't. i'm agnostic. And i intend to stay that way.but i appreciate the fact that you care about me and have replied to my posts.

treeoflife

Apr 30, 2008
(Garry;48819)
thanks to you and everyone else for the advice. But really, I'm not a christian anymore and i just don't believe in these things anymore. i used to believe. there was a time when i was jumping up and down and praising god and being overwhelmed with happiness but that was a long time ago.I know you think that i still believe but i really don't. i'm agnostic. And i intend to stay that way.but i appreciate the fact that you care about me and have replied to my posts.
Imagine yourself attached to a huge bungee cord. You are on one end, and the other is attached to where your faith once was (IE, God). I see Him holding on, as you explore the world and your options. I believe, that someday, the tension will become too much, and you will no longer be able to resist Him.God will not move. He will be exactly where He was when you left Him, hoping and anticipating your return. There will be a great celebration in heaven!

RobinD69

Oct 7, 2007
(Garry;48819)
What caused you to loose faith?

Garry

May 5, 2008
it just got the point where i hated being a christian. i hated trying to keep the commandments. i hated praying. i hated going to church. i hated having to forgive people.It may sound bad, but i just couldn't do it any longer.

adren@line

Feb 24, 2008
Do whatever makes you happy, as long as you dont hurt yourself or anyone else.Live by that motto and you will be fine.

RaddSpencer

Mar 28, 2008
(Garry;49007)
it just got the point where i hated being a christian. i hated trying to keep the commandments. i hated praying. i hated going to church. i hated having to forgive people.It may sound bad, but i just couldn't do it any longer.
Eh? Hate forgiving people? I thought it was easier to forgive than hold a grudge. Anyway, it looks like you got frustrated with the whole thing. You can't become a grown up Christian overnight you know. You have to let the Lord work on you.When you come back, keep that in mind. Take things one step at a time.

thisistheendtimes

Mar 3, 2008
Garry, I'm 54 years old and have been a Christian for 22 years. I grew up in a severely dysfunctional family with parents that divorced when I was young and I suffered 51 years of suicidal depression (statistically common for children of divorced parents...subconscious identity crisis).So the things I'm going to say will sound unconventional, but they come from a lifetime of pain, suffering, heartbreak, introspection, searching for truth, love, and an identity.When I was 31, I became convinced that the bible held the truth of God (until then, I was searching for His true identity). The first 20 years were kind of 'dry' because all I found in these 'christian club' traditional teachings were 'mechanical' (go through the motions, do this, do that, follow the rules, read this, etc.). The teachings from traditional 'christianity' didn't satisfy my heart. I was like you, I was searching for MORE.Well, there is MORE (LOVE). TRUE Christianity is a LOVE, not a 'faith'. It is based on being 'true blue' and having an honest to goodness LOVE for the creator. Faith (trust in) should be borne out of LOVE for God (like the way someone would have love for their dad, when I was young, I also had faith in my dad...BECAUSE I LOVED him). I also have faith in the laws of physics, but I don't love them.You see, there is a SECOND message in scripture (a DEEPER message) that those who worship Him with their lips (CALL themselves "Christian) cannot understand or see. This is the "STRONG delusion" that has been in effect all throughout history,...the 'babylon' of the heart (the MYSTERY that nobody WANTS to see...the doctrines of the heart are the stumbling block, Ezekiel 14:4-8 in the KJV), and no matter how much the true message is told to "christianity", there will be ENDLESS INTELLECTUAL OBJECTIONS because they have "REFUSED TO LOVE THE TRUTH and so BE SAVED" (2 Thessalonians 2:10).Christianity has always been under the strong delusion because actually BEing a loving and just/righteous person is not 'convenient', it's much easier to 'follow the leader', conform to rules, simply read and INTERPRET text (as though it's a 'MAP to God') and glorify one's self as a master scholar/intellectual. It is still believed/taught that we should walk by FAITH, but we should "WALK BY THE SPIRIT" (Galatians 5:16 and 25). The word of God is the "SWORD of the SPIRIT" (Ephesians 6:17). The bible is the INTRODUCTORY doctrine of Jesus (Hebrews 6:1) and the "WORD OF TRUTH" (2 Timothy 2:15, Ephesians 1:13, John 14:6). We are to know God as "ABBA FATHER" (dear father), NOT "MASTER" ('taskmaster'),Romans 8:15, Galatians 4:6 and have no fear of Him (1 John 4:18, Isaiah 29:13, Mark 12:30) because we should be a "FRIEND" of God (James 2:23).The 'sin laws' were abolished (Ephesians 2:15) and we are under the law of LIBERTY (James 1:25 and 2:12). We are justified IN CHRIST (1 Corinthians 6:11, Galatians 2:16 and 17) and wisdom IN CHRIST is not in parables (Matthew 13:13).Everything before the spirit was given (ancient scriptures, devotions/feasts, worship habits/Bereans, terminology, etc.), John 7:39, are irrelevant to New Testament devotion. We are obligated to do the "works of God" (John 6:28 and 29) by believing in Him so our goodness will not be by compulsion, but of our own freewill conscience (Philemon verse 14).There should NO "SELF abasement" (no self abatement/abandonment, Colossians 2:18 and 23). We should KNOW who we are (establish identity/individuality) so that we can have a TRULY 'PERSON'al relationship with The Lord ("I am who I am", Exodus 3:14, the Father's name FOREVER) and He can have one with us, His spirit "yearns jealously", James 4:5 (also, SELF discipline for repentance IN CHRIST is only possible with a strong sense of SELF). We should have 'tears of sorrow' in our heart about those who suffer misfortune ("rivers of living water", John 7:38, Revelation 7:16 (sorrow makes us sad/"poor in spirit", Matthew 5:3, the PRESENT heaven will be in our heart) and we should be transformed (new creation) by the renewal of our MIND (Romans 12:2, the heart can't THINK).This is a "MORE EXCELLENT WAY" of devotion (for the N.T. GODLY Christian, 1 Corinthians 12:31) because we should abide/live by "the GREATEST of these" (1 Corinthians 13:13) and have our CONSCIENCE PURIFIED ALSO (Hebrews 9:14). Adam and Eve ate of the tree of conscience and we should learn how to use that knowledge properly (Hebrews 5:14). These are just some of the better things (Hebrews 6:9) that belong to salvation. These are the "DEPTHS of God" (1 Corinthians 2:10).Mankind has always replaced God's 3 gracious gifts to humanity...1) creation (Father)2) salvation (Son)3) Godliness teaching (Spirit)...with the teachings and protocol of MAN (the SIXTH day creation)...666So, that you didn't find the teachings of man's institutional church satisfactory and it left your heart empty,....CONGRATULATIONS, you can "enter by the door" (John 10:1).All verses are from the RSV (I find it the most understandable and true to the real message).