Love your enemies

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Dan57

Sep 25, 2012
Illinois
Faith
Country
United States
The Canaanites were not enemies, but people who refused to obey God, so God used the Hebrews to destroy them. When Jesus taught to love and pray for your enemies, he was speaking to brethren of the same faith who shared the same God (neighbors). Remember that Jesus also ordered his disciples to secure a couple of swords, so it seems evident that he was cognizant that harmful enemies existed. And Paul said; "If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men" (Romans 12:18).

And remember, loving your enemy does not mean not correcting them, and praying for your enemy is not necessary asking God to bless them, but to correct them (Hebrews 12:6). Hate is not a bad thing, but personal vengeance is. When God ordered Joshua to kill the inhabitants of the promised land, it was God's vengeance being carried out. And the correct interpretation of the 5th commandment is; "Thou shalt not murder" (not kill). Hating the enemies of God is okay, God hates sin and we should hate those who sin against him. We could hardly call ourselves Christians if we loved those who rebel against our God... jmo

Reactions: Born_Again

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
Stranger said:
Im asking you. Was David wrong in hating the enemies of God? Your crawfishing.

If God hates, and we are created in the image of God, then hate is part of our constitution also. Correct?

Stranger
I can't speak for King David, but we are not to hate any people. John 3:16

Reactions: junobet

junobet

May 20, 2016
Germany
Dan57 said:
The Canaanites were not enemies, but people who refused to obey God, so God used the Hebrews to destroy them.
So God doesn’t love His enemies but expects us to love ours?
And He stopped loving the Israelites when they disobeyed Him, which they frequently did?
When Jesus taught to love and pray for your enemies, he was speaking to brethren of the same faith who shared the same God (neighbors).
Well, when Jesus was asked “And who is my neighbor?” (Luke 10:29b), the example He gave was of a person who was definitely not considered a “brethren of the same faith” by His audience: a Samaritan.
Jesus's target audience, the Jews, hated Samaritans[8] to such a degree that they destroyed the Samaritans' temple on Mt. Gerizim.[9] Due to this hatred, some think that the Lawyer's phrase "The one who had mercy on him" (Luke 10:37a) may indicate a reluctance to name the Samaritan.” https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parable_of_the_Good_Samaritan

Remember that Jesus also ordered his disciples to secure a couple of swords, so it seems evident that he was cognizant that harmful enemies existed. And Paul said; "If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men" (Romans 12:18).

Of course Jesus was cognizant that harmful enemies existed. He knew He would be crucified and told His disciples to buy swords just to fulfill prophecy: “Because I tell you, what has been written about me must be fulfilled: ‘He was counted among the criminals.’ Indeed, what is written about me must be fulfilled” (Luke 22:37, comp. Isaiah 53:12)
When one of His disciples actually used his sword to cut off the high-priest’s servant’s ear, Jesus told His disciples to put their swords down and healed the ear. (Luke 22: 49-51)
And remember, loving your enemy does not mean not correcting them, and praying for your enemy is not necessary asking God to bless them, but to correct them (Hebrews 12:6).
27 “But to you who are listening I say: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. (Luke 6:27)
Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse” (Romans 12:14)
Hebrews 12:6 read in context is about the correction the addressed Christians receive from God in their call to martyrdom and suffering. This passage is not about us disciplining others but about us being disciplined by God and gladly receiving this discipline.
Hate is not a bad thing, but personal vengeance is. When God ordered Joshua to kill the inhabitants of the promised land, it was God's vengeance being carried out. And the correct interpretation of the 5th commandment is; "Thou shalt not murder" (not kill). Hating the enemies of God is okay, God hates sin and we should hate those who sin against him. We could hardly call ourselves Christians if we loved those who rebel against our God... jmo
Hate is not a bad thing????

"The person who says that he is in the light but hates his brother is still in the darkness. 10 The person who loves his brother abides in the light, and there is no reason for him to stumble.
11 But the person who hates his brother is in the darkness and lives in the darkness. He does not know where he is going, because the darkness has blinded his eyes.” (1 John 2:9-11)

“and forgive us our sins, as we have forgiven those who have sinned against us.” (Mt 6:12)

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
junobet said:
No, it is because my church (good old German Lutheran/Reformed/United) takes the Bible seriously enough to throw its best academics at it to get a better understanding. We tend to accept their findings even when we happen to find them to contradict our traditions. In the case of the Book of Joshua pretty much all scholars agree that it is wildly unhistorical and that there was no such thing as the conquest of Canaan. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_of_Joshua#Historical_and_archaeological_evidence
IMHO Fundamentalist evangelicals on the other hand tend to bury their head in the sand and bend the Bible’s texts over backwards to make them fit their doctrine on the Bible.

First of all I don’t share the cold modern day disdain for fiction but stand in awe of the deep divine truths fiction and poetry can convey. Secondly, if you want to find out what level of historicity to expect from a given text, you’ll first have to look at its genre. Of all the books of the Bible the Gospels and Acts come closest to the kind of info that we in the 21th century would expect from a historian.
And of course you should not believe what I say God is doing, you should believe what your living faith in Jesus Christ tells you what God is doing. If you read the Bible without that living faith, all you’ll get is dead letters.

Because love of enemy wasn’t high on the list of virtues of those who wrote and composed the Book of Joshua at around out 600 BC. Their intent was to point out their God’s power in order to establish Israel’s identity as a nation as opposed to the tribes and nations surrounding them. They were divinely inspired in many ways, but they did not have the full revelation of Jesus Christ yet.
Now, if I agreed with you that the Book of Joshua is 1:1 history, that would leave me with the theological question of how to console the genocide it describes with God being unchanging and omnibenevolent. But it would not change the ethical conclusions, that both fundamentalist and mainline Christians must inevitably arrive at: Whether we believe that God ordered the murder of women and children back in the late bronce-age or not, our ultimate moral authority is Jesus Christ. From our previous conversation I gather that you find His command to love our enemies very inconvenient and hard to put into practice, but the narrative of the Conquest of Canaan doesn’t water it down in the slightest. Mt 5:43-48 means exactly what it says with no ifs and buts attached.
'Best academics' Is used against the Bible quite often. We really can't have much of a discussion on the contents of the Bible as we are in disagreement as to what is historical in the Bible. Our discussion will invariably come down to the credibility of what has been written. Then of course you get chastised for 'off topic' discussion. So, perhaps I should start another topic on that.

I will comment on some of the things you have said however. First of all, my living faith says the book of Joshua is historical and inspired by God. What now?

Second of all, God murders no one, as you accuse if Joshua is taken historically. God is the giver of life. God is the taker of life. And He takes it any way He wants. It is never murder. It is His to take.

Third of all, as I said before, you declare Matt. 5 as true, no if's, or buts, yet deny Joshua the same. Had Joshua said the same, you would have received it as historically true as your 'higher academics' would have also. Higher academics, also known as 'higher criticism', comes to the Bible in 'unbelief'. Not belief.

Stranger

Reactions: Born_Again

junobet

May 20, 2016
Germany
Stranger said:
'Best academics' Is used against the Bible quite often. We really can't have much of a discussion on the contents of the Bible as we are in disagreement as to what is historical in the Bible. Our discussion will invariably come down to the credibility of what has been written. Then of course you get chastised for 'off topic' discussion. So, perhaps I should start another topic on that.
The more accurate statement would be: “‘Best academics’ is used against your view of the Bible often”. I can but hope you are humble enough to see the difference.

But you are right that discussing our different views of the Bible would be off-topic here. However, there’s no need to open a new thread, because there already is one: http://www.christianityboard.com/topic/23020-is-our-bible-of-66-books-the-inerrant-word-of-god/

I will comment on some of the things you have said however. First of all, my living faith says the book of Joshua is historical and inspired by God. What now?
As I said: it doesn’t really change a thing as long as you remember that the Bible does not end with the Book of Joshua.

So believe what you will about the Book of Joshua, but personally I find this statement a bit odd, maybe because I was still too young to be able to read when God first gave me faith in Him. And now that I can read, I know that nowhere in the Bible does it say we have to put our faith in the Bible or a certain human doctrine on how to interpret it. We are called to have faith in Christ.

Second of all, God murders no one, as you accuse if Joshua is taken historically. God is the giver of life. God is the taker of life. And He takes it any way He wants. It is never murder. It is His to take.
Surely all live is His to give or take. That's why we should never kill anybody. To our shame it’s got to be said that in Nazi Germany for example very many Christians were firmly convinced that the Holocaust was just what God wanted them to commit. And in the many wars my continent has seen all sides had their weapons blessed by Christian clergy. Which side was God on?

Third of all, as I said before, you declare Matt. 5 as true, no if's, or buts, yet deny Joshua the same. Had Joshua said the same, you would have received it as historically true as your 'higher academics' would have also. Higher academics, also known as 'higher criticism', comes to the Bible in 'unbelief'. Not belief.

Stranger

Never mind my view of scripture whose finer nuances you obviously have not understood. Given what I assume to be your view of Scripture, I find it a bit weird that you seem to doubt that Matthew 5 is true with no ifs and buts.

Let’s just assume that the Book of Joshua depicts historical fact 1:1. How does the conquest of Canaan diffuse Christs’ clear commandment to love our enemies? Why do you think it may entitle us Christians today to hate and kill our fellow-men even though the entire New Testament implies the opposite? When did you lose the good old Protestant hermeneutical principle that the entire Bible is to be interpreted with Christ at its centre?

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
junobet said:
The more accurate statement would be: “‘Best academics’ is used against your view of the Bible often”. I can but hope you are humble enough to see the difference.

But you are right that discussing our different views of the Bible would be off-topic here. However, there’s no need to open a new thread, because there already is one: http://www.christianityboard.com/topic/23020-is-our-bible-of-66-books-the-inerrant-word-of-god/

As I said: it doesn’t really change a thing as long as you remember that the Bible does not end with the Book of Joshua.

So believe what you will about the Book of Joshua, but personally I find this statement a bit odd, maybe because I was still too young to be able to read when God first gave me faith in Him. And now that I can read, I know that nowhere in the Bible does it say we have to put our faith in the Bible or a certain human doctrine on how to interpret it. We are called to have faith in Christ.

Surely all live is His to give or take. That's why we should never kill anybody. To our shame it’s got to be said that in Nazi Germany for example very many Christians were firmly convinced that the Holocaust was just what God wanted them to commit. And in the many wars my continent has seen all sides had their weapons blessed by Christian clergy. Which side was God on?

Never mind my view of scripture whose finer nuances you obviously have not understood. Given what I assume to be your view of Scripture, I find it a bit weird that you seem to doubt that Matthew 5 is true with no ifs and buts.

Let’s just assume that the Book of Joshua depicts historical fact 1:1. How does the conquest of Canaan diffuse Christs’ clear commandment to love our enemies? Why do you think it may entitle us Christians today to hate and kill our fellow-men even though the entire New Testament implies the opposite? When did you lose the good old Protestant hermeneutical principle that the entire Bible is to be interpreted with Christ at its centre?
'Best academics' or 'higher criticism' comes against the Bible. It creates a liberal view whose base is unbelief. It takes away from the Bible. Much like what it's contributed to your view that only the Gospels and Acts are the closest in being historical.

I agree. The Bible does not end with Joshua. But it includes Joshua. And wouldn't it be the same thing for you to be excluding Joshua by not interpreting it the same way you interpret Matthew? I know you don't exclude it, but in reality you do.

I rejoice in the faith you had before being able to read. I too had the same. My statement that my faith tells me that Joshua is historical, was given in response to your statement of, " you should believe what your living faith in Jesus Christ tells you what God is doing". My faith is in Christ. My faith accepts the Bible as the Word of God, Genesis to Revelation. As I believe you do also. I see the Old Testament as historical as well as the New Testament.

Sometimes we have to take life. God said 'Thou shalt not kill'. I know you believe that. But then God gave the animal sacrifices. (Ex.19:24-26) Thus the command 'thou shalt not kill' is not all encompassing. A witch was to be killed. (Ex.22:18) Whoever lies with a beast is to be killed. (Ex. 22:19) Etc. etc.

And, though you disagree, God gave the death penalty and has never revoked it. (Gen. 9: 5-6) "And surley your blood of your lives will I require; at the hand of every beast will I require it, and at the hand of man; at the hand of every man's brother will I require the life of man. Whoso sheddeth man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed: for in the image of God made he man." In fact, because God gave this command, man is in disobedience in not exercising the death penalty.

Well, as to whose side God is on in war, I look to Joshua again. (Joshua 5:13-15) "....Art thou for us, or for our adversaries? And he said, Nay; but as captain of the host of the LORD am I now come."

I do not doubt Matt. 5 at all. I believe every word of it. But I believe it as I do "thou shalt not kill".

I do interpret the Bible with Christ as the Center. I believe Matt. 5 is part of what is called the Sermon on the Mount, which makes it the gospel of the Kingdom. Which I see different than the gospel of grace which the Church is under. That doesn't mean I diffuse it. We as Christians, because we have the Holy Spirit, definitely have the ability to love our enemies and turn the other cheek in the face of violent men. But 'love your enemies' is not a law over the Church. And there are times when in war, or the death penalty, or in defence of self or family, we are required to kill.

As a Christian I am not going about to hate and kill my fellow man. But hate is not out of the picture. And killing is not out of the picture. Do you see David as a man who went about hating and killing his fellow man? Or was he a man after God's own heart?

Stranger

Reactions: Nancy

junobet

May 20, 2016
Germany
Stranger said:
'Best academics' or 'higher criticism' comes against the Bible. It creates a liberal view whose base is unbelief. It takes away from the Bible. Much like what it's contributed to your view that only the Gospels and Acts are the closest in being historical.

You noticed it is off topic, but yet you can’t let it go, can you?

See, my faith was never threatened by academic Bible study (which my church encourages), quite the contrary: it was deepened. Rather than taking away from the Bible it has added to the wealth of divine truth I found in there. So I’m sorry that you guys miss out on this wealth and feel the urge to share it. But not only do I sense a wall of fear that wouldn’t even allow you to listen, also I don’t want to disrespect your personal beliefs about the Bible, however outlandish I may find them. It would be nice, if you could at least try and return the favour.

As for the “liberal view", let’s just make sure you are not confusing terms and categories. Liberalism in theology isn’t the same as liberalism in politics. Lots of liberal theologians have been war-mongers. And guys like the Amish certainly share many of your views on the Bible, have extremely conservative social views, and yet are strict pacifists.

I agree. The Bible does not end with Joshua. But it includes Joshua. And wouldn't it be the same thing for you to be excluding Joshua by not interpreting it the same way you interpret Matthew? I know you don't exclude it, but in reality you do.

Suffice to say that surely you are aware that the Bible isn’t one Book, but a library, written over the course of centuries by many people in different historic situations addressing different questions by making use of different genres. The first step when trying to interpret a piece of Biblical as well as any other literature is to establish its genre. We don’t approach a letter from our bank-manager with the same expectations as we approach a letter from our mother and we can’t expect Ancestral Tales/Heroe Epics from 600 BC to carry the same kind of information as a 1th century AC biography. That’s not to say they carry no information: I just love the bold trust in God the Book of Joshua encourages. The scale of this boldness becomes even bigger when you know that this Book was compiled at the time when Israel, a tiny insignificant nation, had just suffered total defeat. What would have been custom back then was to abandon your tribal/national Gods and worship the ones of the victors. Instead the Israelites declared the first big metaphysical truth: Monotheism!

I rejoice in the faith you had before being able to read. I too had the same. My statement that my faith tells me that Joshua is historical, was given in response to your statement of, " you should believe what your living faith in Jesus Christ tells you what God is doing". My faith is in Christ. My faith accepts the Bible as the Word of God, Genesis to Revelation. As I believe you do also. I see the Old Testament as historical as well as the New Testament.
Yes, I also accept the Bible as the Word of God from Genesis to Revelation, but I’m also humbly aware that human language can never fully communicate the Divine. I don’t know what your first experience of God was like, but mine was beyond words. So the Bible only becomes the Word of God when God uses it to open us to the experience of His Word, who is Jesus Christ (John 1).

Sometimes we have to take life. God said 'Thou shalt not kill'. I know you believe that. But then God gave the animal sacrifices. (Ex.19:24-26) Thus the command 'thou shalt not kill' is not all encompassing. A witch was to be killed. (Ex.22:18) Whoever lies with a beast is to be killed. (Ex. 22:19) Etc. etc.

And, though you disagree, God gave the death penalty and has never revoked it. (Gen. 9: 5-6) "And surley your blood of your lives will I require; at the hand of every beast will I require it, and at the hand of man; at the hand of every man's brother will I require the life of man. Whoso sheddeth man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed: for in the image of God made he man." In fact, because God gave this command, man is in disobedience in not exercising the death penalty.

This is massive cherry-picking that fails to see the bigger picture.

God did not kill Cain, nor did He allow anybody else to kill him. So to use the famous words of Jesus, quite apparently it was not this way from the beginning (Mt. 19:8). We all know that we are not to throw the first stone (John 8:1-11). Jesus explicitly abandons the retributive justice system that Gen 9:5-6 is part of in Mt 5:38-39: “You have heard that it was said, ‘An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.’[a] 39 But I tell you not to resist an evildoer. On the contrary, whoever slaps you on the right cheek, turn the other to him as well.“ He warns us in no uncertain terms that we are not to judge anyone (Mt. 7:1-2). You may think, you’re gonna be fine when you Support the death Penalty for murder, because you never murdered anybody. But Jesus also tells us in no uncertain terms what He considers at least equal to murder: “You have heard that it was told those who lived long ago, ‘You are not to commit murder,’[p] and, ‘Whoever murders will be subject to punishment.’[q] 22 But I say to you, anyone who is angry with his brother without a cause[r] will be subject to punishment. And whoever says to his brother ‘Raka!’[s] will be subject to the Council.[t] And whoever says, ‘You fool!’ will be subject to hell[u] fire.” So if you’ve ever been angry with anybody for that reason alone you may want to reconsider your stance on the death penalty. And I haven’t even mentioned yet that the Lord says "It is mine to avenge; I will repay," (Romans 12:19), nor that our (hopefully shared) belief is that enough blood has been shed on the cross. If we’ve experienced for ourselves that Gods punishment for sinners is transforming grace, there’s no way we can prefer a penal justice system over a justice system that seeks to rehabilitate. This much should be abundantly clear from the parable about an unforgiving servant (Mt. 18:21-35).

Well, as to whose side God is on in war, I look to Joshua again. (Joshua 5:13-15) "....Art thou for us, or for our adversaries? And he said, Nay; but as captain of the host of the LORD am I now come."

I do not doubt Matt. 5 at all. I believe every word of it. But I believe it as I do "thou shalt not kill".

I do interpret the Bible with Christ as the Center. I believe Matt. 5 is part of what is called the Sermon on the Mount, which makes it the gospel of the Kingdom. Which I see different than the gospel of grace which the Church is under. That doesn't mean I diffuse it. We as Christians, because we have the Holy Spirit, definitely have the ability to love our enemies and turn the other cheek in the face of violent men. But 'love your enemies' is not a law over the Church. And there are times when in war, or the death penalty, or in defence of self or family, we are required to kill.

As a Christian I am not going about to hate and kill my fellow man. But hate is not out of the picture. And killing is not out of the picture. Do you see David as a man who went about hating and killing his fellow man? Or was he a man after God's own heart?

Stranger
It’s not as if my Nazi Granddad did not read his Bible. Guess what: his conclusion was that God was on the German’s side in WWII. In any war throughout history every side thought Good was on their side. But if we truly want to be good, we’ve got to imitate Christ (Eph. 5:1-2). Christ did not free Israel from oppressing worldly occupation . He did not even attempt to start a Spartacus-style revolt. Instead he died on the cross and calls us to take up ours and follow Him. That’s just what the early Christians did when they went into the arena singing hymns whilst being devoured by lions. We are called to break the vicious circle of violence caused by human sin, not to partake in it. It was only when Christianity got entangled with the very worldly powers that it ought to have stayed away from that the unspiritual doctrine of “Just War” gained foot. You're a patriot? Then remember you can not serve two masters!

David is probably not the best of all role models even for lenient OT standards and frequently gives God reason to be cross with him. ;-)

We on the other hand ought to know now that “God is love” (1 John 4:8). Whenever Christ abides in us there is no more room for hate in our hearts.
So IMHO you take the Sermon on the Mount not seriously enough. Granted, none of us is as perfect as it commands us to be, so we are all in need of grace. But that doesn’t mean that – with the help of the Holy Spirit – we ought not to work on our perfection (Phil 3:12-14). The Kingdom of God is not just a vague thing of the future that we await whilst sitting on our hands. The Kingdom of God ought to be in a Christian’s heart! Being the salt of the earth and the light of this world means we give witness of God’s Kingdom by being the first ones to hammer our swords into plowshares, even if that means we or our family get martyred:
“37 “The one who loves his father or mother more than me isn’t worthy of me, and the one who loves a son or daughter more than me isn’t worthy of me. 38 The one who doesn’t take up his cross and follow me isn’t worthy of me. 39 The one who finds his life will lose it, and the one who loses his life because of me will find it.” (Mt 10:37-39)

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
junobet said:
You noticed it is off topic, but yet you can’t let it go, can you?

See, my faith was never threatened by academic Bible study (which my church encourages), quite the contrary: it was deepened. Rather than taking away from the Bible it has added to the wealth of divine truth I found in there. So I’m sorry that you guys miss out on this wealth and feel the urge to share it. But not only do I sense a wall of fear that wouldn’t even allow you to listen, also I don’t want to disrespect your personal beliefs about the Bible, however outlandish I may find them. It would be nice, if you could at least try and return the favour.

As for the “liberal view", let’s just make sure you are not confusing terms and categories. Liberalism in theology isn’t the same as liberalism in politics. Lots of liberal theologians have been war-mongers. And guys like the Amish certainly share many of your views on the Bible, have extremely conservative social views, and yet are strict pacifists.

Suffice to say that surely you are aware that the Bible isn’t one Book, but a library, written over the course of centuries by many people in different historic situations addressing different questions by making use of different genres. The first step when trying to interpret a piece of Biblical as well as any other literature is to establish its genre. We don’t approach a letter from our bank-manager with the same expectations as we approach a letter from our mother and we can’t expect Ancestral Tales/Heroe Epics from 600 BC to carry the same kind of information as a 1th century AC biography. That’s not to say they carry no information: I just love the bold trust in God the Book of Joshua encourages. The scale of this boldness becomes even bigger when you know that this Book was compiled at the time when Israel, a tiny insignificant nation, had just suffered total defeat. What would have been custom back then was to abandon your tribal/national Gods and worship the ones of the victors. Instead the Israelites declared the first big metaphysical truth: Monotheism!

Yes, I also accept the Bible as the Word of God from Genesis to Revelation, but I’m also humbly aware that human language can never fully communicate the Divine. I don’t know what your first experience of God was like, but mine was beyond words. So the Bible only becomes the Word of God when God uses it to open us to the experience of His Word, who is Jesus Christ (John 1).

This is massive cherry-picking that fails to see the bigger picture.

God did not kill Cain, nor did He allow anybody else to kill him. So to use the famous words of Jesus, quite apparently it was not this way from the beginning (Mt. 19:8). We all know that we are not to throw the first stone (John 8:1-11). Jesus explicitly abandons the retributive justice system that Gen 9:5-6 is part of in Mt 5:38-39: “You have heard that it was said, ‘An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.’[a] 39 But I tell you not to resist an evildoer. On the contrary, whoever slaps you on the right cheek, turn the other to him as well.“ He warns us in no uncertain terms that we are not to judge anyone (Mt. 7:1-2). You may think, you’re gonna be fine when you Support the death Penalty for murder, because you never murdered anybody. But Jesus also tells us in no uncertain terms what He considers at least equal to murder: “You have heard that it was told those who lived long ago, ‘You are not to commit murder,’[p] and, ‘Whoever murders will be subject to punishment.’[q] 22 But I say to you, anyone who is angry with his brother without a cause[r] will be subject to punishment. And whoever says to his brother ‘Raka!’[s] will be subject to the Council.[t] And whoever says, ‘You fool!’ will be subject to hell[u] fire.” So if you’ve ever been angry with anybody for that reason alone you may want to reconsider your stance on the death penalty. And I haven’t even mentioned yet that the Lord says "It is mine to avenge; I will repay," (Romans 12:19), nor that our (hopefully shared) belief is that enough blood has been shed on the cross. If we’ve experienced for ourselves that Gods punishment for sinners is transforming grace, there’s no way we can prefer a penal justice system over a justice system that seeks to rehabilitate. This much should be abundantly clear from the parable about an unforgiving servant (Mt. 18:21-35).

It’s not as if my Nazi Granddad did not read his Bible. Guess what: his conclusion was that God was on the German’s side in WWII. In any war throughout history every side thought Good was on their side. But if we truly want to be good, we’ve got to imitate Christ (Eph. 5:1-2). Christ did not free Israel from oppressing worldly occupation . He did not even attempt to start a Spartacus-style revolt. Instead he died on the cross and calls us to take up ours and follow Him. That’s just what the early Christians did when they went into the arena singing hymns whilst being devoured by lions. We are called to break the vicious circle of violence caused by human sin, not to partake in it. It was only when Christianity got entangled with the very worldly powers that it ought to have stayed away from that the unspiritual doctrine of “Just War” gained foot. You're a patriot? Then remember you can not serve two masters!

David is probably not the best of all role models even for lenient OT standards and frequently gives God reason to be cross with him. ;-)

We on the other hand ought to know now that “God is love” (1 John 4:8). Whenever Christ abides in us there is no more room for hate in our hearts.
So IMHO you take the Sermon on the Mount not seriously enough. Granted, none of us is as perfect as it commands us to be, so we are all in need of grace. But that doesn’t mean that – with the help of the Holy Spirit – we ought not to work on our perfection (Phil 3:12-14). The Kingdom of God is not just a vague thing of the future that we await whilst sitting on our hands. The Kingdom of God ought to be in a Christian’s heart! Being the salt of the earth and the light of this world means we give witness of God’s Kingdom by being the first ones to hammer our swords into plowshares, even if that means we or our family get martyred:
“37 “The one who loves his father or mother more than me isn’t worthy of me, and the one who loves a son or daughter more than me isn’t worthy of me. 38 The one who doesn’t take up his cross and follow me isn’t worthy of me. 39 The one who finds his life will lose it, and the one who loses his life because of me will find it.” (Mt 10:37-39)
I personally don't see it as off topic as it involves both your and my response to the verses we are using.

I do see the Bible as one Book. It has one Author, God. It is composed of many books by many human writers, but they were inspired by the Holy Spirit, making the Author God. So a man would be writing a certain book or letter. But God behind that man was adding another chapter to His Book. As to your late dating of the book of Joshua, of course I disagree.

Your view of the Bible as the Word of God is far different than mine. I see what is written as the Word of God irregardless of anything the Holy Spirit may be showing me.

My use of verses to prove my point is not 'cherry picking'. You're using verses to prove your point. Are you 'cherry picking' also? It is not cherry picking if the verses are recorded honestly and do apply to what is being said.

God did not kill Cain. Exactly. There was no death penalty given to man at that time. Man had no authority to take another mans life. The end result, the flood of Noah. Thus after the flood God gave Noah and mankind the authority to take man's life for shedding man's blood. Why? To curb man's wickedness on earth. And Jesus never did revoke the death penalty. Jesus fulfilled the Law but the death penalty was before the Law. Applying the death penalty is God's vengeance also as He is the One who implemented it.

As I said earlier, I don't believe the Sermon on the Mount is given as Law for the Church to live under. It is given as the Law of the Kingdom which will exist on earth with Christ physically ruling in Jerusalem. It is more strict than even the Law of Moses. And we in the Church are not under the Law. Application can be made to our Christian lives, but it is not our rule of law.

Your Nazi Granddad did his duty as a citizen of your country. That was what he was supposed to do. It is God who creates the wars for His purpose of casting down and setting up. As was pointed out with Joshua, the angel of the Lord is on the Lord's side. We don't always know which side that is. But we serve our country when it calls and God will establish the winner and loser.

Serving two masters doesn't mean you can't be a Christian and serve in the nations military. It means you don't chose the nation to serve over Christ. You don't chose anything to serve over Christ. But being in the military is being obedient to Christ if they call. Do you pay taxes? Are you serving two masters?

Well, God called David a man after his own heart. What do you call him? You call him "not the best of all role models".

Stranger

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Stranger said:
Why did God not say to Israel, when they were to enter the promised land, to love your enemies?

Stranger
Israel was used as an instrument of God's wrath and justice against those in the promised land. Also God was making His Name great amongst the nations, amongst all the inhabitants who had forgotten their Creator and whored after demons who were no gods at all.

Speaking to Abraham concerning Israel God said:
Genesis 15:16
In the fourth generation your descendants will come back here, for the sin of the Amorites has not yet reached its full measure."

Moses speaking to Israel before they went in to posses the land concerning the sin of the inhabitants said:
Deuteronomy 18
9 When thou art come into the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee, thou shalt not learn to do after the abominations of those nations.
10 There shall not be found among you any one that maketh his son or his daughter to pass through the fire, or that useth divination, or an observer of times, or an enchanter, or a witch.
11 Or a charmer, or a consulter with familiar spirits, or a wizard, or a necromancer.
12 For all that do these things are an abomination unto the Lord: and because of these abominations the Lord thy God doth drive them out from before thee.

Concerning the Lord's Namesake:
Deuteronomy 28
The Lord will grant that the enemies who rise up against you will be defeated before you. They will come at you from one direction but flee from you in seven.
8The Lord will send a blessing on your barns and on everything you put your hand to. The Lord your God will bless you in the land he is giving you.
9The Lord will establish you as his holy people, as he promised you on oath, if you keep the commands of the Lord your God and walk in obedience to him. 10Then all the peoples on earth will see that you are called by the name of the Lord, and they will fear you.

Now concerning Christ's commission to love your enemy, it is clear and explicit...

43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven; for He causes His sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46 For if you love those who love you, what reward do you have? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? 47 If you greet only your brothers, what more are you doing than others? Do not even the Gentiles do the same? 48 Therefore you are to be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

Is God not gracious and long-suffering? Is God not both just and merciful? We must remember we are the creature subject to God, not the other way around. If it is that God calls us to bring about justice, like police officers or other civil servants, we are called within God's providence and sovereignty. Yet within this we are continually called to love our enemy, just as God loved us as while we were enemies of His, He sent His only begotten Son to die for our sakes.

Atheists are enemies of God, even hostile to God, yet I continually pray they turn from their unbelief. Jews and Muslims are enemies of the cross, yet I pray they see the truth that is in Christ. Buddhists teach a doctrine contrary to that of Jesus, Hindus worship the demonic, and still I pray the light of the gospel releases them from their bondage. The Way is not the way of the world, it is holy.

Reactions: Nancy

junobet

May 20, 2016
Germany
Stranger said:
I personally don't see it as off topic as it involves both your and my response to the verses we are using.

I do see the Bible as one Book. It has one Author, God. It is composed of many books by many human writers, but they were inspired by the Holy Spirit, making the Author God. So a man would be writing a certain book or letter. But God behind that man was adding another chapter to His Book. As to your late dating of the book of Joshua, of course I disagree.

If it is so important to you, go on then and believe that Joshua conquered cities that weren’t even inhabited yet when these events supposedly took place!

What makes our respective views on Scripture off topic, is that I’ve already stated that I’m totally willing to work under your assumption that the Book of Joshua depicts total historical fact. My argument does not depend on my view of the Bible as opposed to yours. Not being aware of our archaeological findings, Tertullian probably never questioned the historicity of the Conquest of Canaan either, and yet in “De Idolatria”, Chapter 19, he explicitly says that Joshua’s warfare is no excuse for Christians to become soldiers, because Christ has taken away the sword (http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/0302.htm). I could not agree with him more:

“ But Jesus said, “No more of this!” (Luke 22:51)

Your view of the Bible as the Word of God is far different than mine. I see what is written as the Word of God irregardless of anything the Holy Spirit may be showing me.
Without the help of the Holy Spirit the Bible will indeed remain a useless book with seven seals to you.

My use of verses to prove my point is not 'cherry picking'. You're using verses to prove your point. Are you 'cherry picking' also? It is not cherry picking if the verses are recorded honestly and do apply to what is being said.
It is cherrypicking when you pick verses out of context whilst ignoring the general direction the Bible takes. From our Christian perspective that direction is Christ’s Passion and Resurrection!

God did not kill Cain. Exactly. There was no death penalty given to man at that time. Man had no authority to take another mans life. The end result, the flood of Noah. Thus after the flood God gave Noah and mankind the authority to take man's life for shedding man's blood. Why? To curb man's wickedness on earth. And Jesus never did revoke the death penalty. Jesus fulfilled the Law but the death penalty was before the Law. Applying the death penalty is God's vengeance also as He is the One who implemented it.
Gosh, are you realizing that indirectly you imply that God made a mistake when He forbid that Cain is killed?

I amply demonstrated how Jesus did revoke the death penalty. “But I say to you …”. With your reasoning concerning the death penalty you might as well feel the need to worship God with burnt offerings because Noah did and you somehow managed to completely overlook Isaiah 1 and the entire Letter to the Hebrews.

His earlier followers certainly got Christ’s new message and didn’t share your lenient stance on “thou shall not kill”. Here’s from Lactantius’ “Institutiones Divinae”, written between 303 and 311: “For when God forbids us to kill, He not only prohibits us from open violence, which is not even allowed by the public laws, but He warns us against the commission of those things which are esteemed lawful among men. Thus it will be neither lawful for a just man to engage in warfare, since his warfare is justice itself, nor to accuse any one of a capital charge, because it makes no difference whether you put a man to death by word, or rather by the sword, since it is the act of putting to death itself which is prohibited. Therefore, with regard to this precept of God, there ought to be no exception at all; but that it is always unlawful to put to death a man, whom God willed to be a sacred animal.” http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/07016.htm

As I said earlier, I don't believe the Sermon on the Mount is given as Law for the Church to live under. It is given as the Law of the Kingdom which will exist on earth with Christ physically ruling in Jerusalem. It is more strict than even the Law of Moses. And we in the Church are not under the Law. Application can be made to our Christian lives, but it is not our rule of law.

So we don’t need to act on the Sermon on the Mount?

“46 “Why do you keep calling me ‘Lord, Lord,’ but don’t do what I tell you? 47 I will show you what everyone is like who comes to me, hears my words, and acts on them. 48 They are like a person building a house, who dug a deep hole to lay the foundation on rock. When a flood came, the floodwaters pushed against that house but couldn’t shake it, because it had been founded on the rock.[p] 49 But the person who hears what I say[q] but doesn’t act on it is like someone who built a house on the ground without any foundation. When the floodwaters pushed against it, that house[r] quickly collapsed, and the resulting destruction of that house was extensive.” (Luke 6:46-49)

Yepp, to do what the Lord tells us to do seems tough. But the bigger our faith the more we are compelled to do so and then the “yoke is pleasant” and the “burden is light” (Mt 11:30).

So what’s the one law Christians still do have?A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.” (John 13:34)
Love is not a “work”. We can’t force ourselves to love. But when God give us true faith, love – including love for our enemies - is the inevitable fruit. A lack of love demonstrates a lack of faith.

Your Nazi Granddad did his duty as a citizen of your country. That was what he was supposed to do.

I can’t believe I’m reading this! You’ve just questioned the very premise of the Nuremberg Trials! Tell you what: Even though he was a Nazi I loved my grandfather dearly. But I had bigger respect for a grand-uncle who got executed for disobeying orders. I suppose this grand-uncle realized that in that situation he “must obey God rather than men!” (Acts 5:29)

It is God who creates the wars for His purpose of casting down and setting up. As was pointed out with Joshua, the angel of the Lord is on the Lord's side. We don't always know which side that is. But we serve our country when it calls and God will establish the winner and loser.
And the winner is right? Seriously? I see all these glorious victorious Empires in human history eventually falling.

Serving two masters doesn't mean you can't be a Christian and serve in the nations military. It means you don't chose the nation to serve over Christ. You don't chose anything to serve over Christ. But being in the military is being obedient to Christ if they call. Do you pay taxes? Are you serving two masters?

I do indeed give to Caesar what is Caesar’s. But there are limits that the early Christians were still aware of:
The above mentioned Tertullian thought serving in the military meant serving Satan. Maximilian the Martyr is just one of the many Christians who’d rather be beheaded than serve in the military. For Basil of Caesarea soldiers killing their opponents were in the same league as women aborting their babies. (http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/3202188.htm). And the Traditio Apostolica, one of the earliest church orders, says: “A military man in authority must not execute men. If he is ordered, he must not carry it out. Nor must he take military oath. If he refuses, he shall be rejected. 10If someone is a military governor,a or the ruler of a city who wears the purple, he shall cease or he shall be rejected. 11The catechumen or faithful who wants to become a soldier is to be rejected, for he has despised God.” (http://www.bombaxo.com/hippolytus.html)

Well, God called David a man after his own heart. What do you call him? You call him "not the best of all role models".

Stranger
There goes my feeble attempt at humor. But yeah, let’s just forget about David’s adultery and murder. After all, he repented.
And of course those of us who became soldiers, bearing the mark of the beast as so many Christians did after Christianity became Roman state religion, can still repent, too. May the Lord have mercy on their souls.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
junobet said:
If it is so important to you, go on then and believe that Joshua conquered cities that weren’t even inhabited yet when these events supposedly took place!

What makes our respective views on Scripture off topic, is that I’ve already stated that I’m totally willing to work under your assumption that the Book of Joshua depicts total historical fact. My argument does not depend on my view of the Bible as opposed to yours. Not being aware of our archaeological findings, Tertullian probably never questioned the historicity of the Conquest of Canaan either, and yet in “De Idolatria”, Chapter 19, he explicitly says that Joshua’s warfare is no excuse for Christians to become soldiers, because Christ has taken away the sword (http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/0302.htm). I could not agree with him more:

“ But Jesus said, “No more of this!” (Luke 22:51)

Without the help of the Holy Spirit the Bible will indeed remain a useless book with seven seals to you.

It is cherrypicking when you pick verses out of context whilst ignoring the general direction the Bible takes. From our Christian perspective that direction is Christ’s Passion and Resurrection!

Gosh, are you realizing that indirectly you imply that God made a mistake when He forbid that Cain is killed?

I amply demonstrated how Jesus did revoke the death penalty. “But I say to you …”. With your reasoning concerning the death penalty you might as well feel the need to worship God with burnt offerings because Noah did and you somehow managed to completely overlook Isaiah 1 and the entire Letter to the Hebrews.

His earlier followers certainly got Christ’s new message and didn’t share your lenient stance on “thou shall not kill”. Here’s from Lactantius’ “Institutiones Divinae”, written between 303 and 311: “For when God forbids us to kill, He not only prohibits us from open violence, which is not even allowed by the public laws, but He warns us against the commission of those things which are esteemed lawful among men. Thus it will be neither lawful for a just man to engage in warfare, since his warfare is justice itself, nor to accuse any one of a capital charge, because it makes no difference whether you put a man to death by word, or rather by the sword, since it is the act of putting to death itself which is prohibited. Therefore, with regard to this precept of God, there ought to be no exception at all; but that it is always unlawful to put to death a man, whom God willed to be a sacred animal.” http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/07016.htm

So we don’t need to act on the Sermon on the Mount?

“46 “Why do you keep calling me ‘Lord, Lord,’ but don’t do what I tell you? 47 I will show you what everyone is like who comes to me, hears my words, and acts on them. 48 They are like a person building a house, who dug a deep hole to lay the foundation on rock. When a flood came, the floodwaters pushed against that house but couldn’t shake it, because it had been founded on the rock.[p] 49 But the person who hears what I say[q] but doesn’t act on it is like someone who built a house on the ground without any foundation. When the floodwaters pushed against it, that house[r] quickly collapsed, and the resulting destruction of that house was extensive.” (Luke 6:46-49)

Yepp, to do what the Lord tells us to do seems tough. But the bigger our faith the more we are compelled to do so and then the “yoke is pleasant” and the “burden is light” (Mt 11:30).

So what’s the one law Christians still do have?A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.” (John 13:34)
Love is not a “work”. We can’t force ourselves to love. But when God give us true faith, love – including love for our enemies - is the inevitable fruit. A lack of love demonstrates a lack of faith.

I can’t believe I’m reading this! You’ve just questioned the very premise of the Nuremberg Trials! Tell you what: Even though he was a Nazi I loved my grandfather dearly. But I had bigger respect for a grand-uncle who got executed for disobeying orders. I suppose this grand-uncle realized that in that situation he “must obey God rather than men!” (Acts 5:29)

And the winner is right? Seriously? I see all these glorious victorious Empires in human history eventually falling.

I do indeed give to Caesar what is Caesar’s. But there are limits that the early Christians were still aware of:
The above mentioned Tertullian thought serving in the military meant serving Satan. Maximilian the Martyr is just one of the many Christians who’d rather be beheaded than serve in the military. For Basil of Caesarea soldiers killing their opponents were in the same league as women aborting their babies. (http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/3202188.htm). And the Traditio Apostolica, one of the earliest church orders, says: “A military man in authority must not execute men. If he is ordered, he must not carry it out. Nor must he take military oath. If he refuses, he shall be rejected. 10If someone is a military governor,a or the ruler of a city who wears the purple, he shall cease or he shall be rejected. 11The catechumen or faithful who wants to become a soldier is to be rejected, for he has despised God.” (http://www.bombaxo.com/hippolytus.html)

There goes my feeble attempt at humor. But yeah, let’s just forget about David’s adultery and murder. After all, he repented.
And of course those of us who became soldiers, bearing the mark of the beast as so many Christians did after Christianity became Roman state religion, can still repent, too. May the Lord have mercy on their souls.
But the cities Joshua conquered were inhabited. The Bible says so. You disagree?

Well, Tertullian did not write Scripture. Did he?

Christ did not take away the sword. (Luke 22:38) " And they said, Lord, behold, here are two swords. And he said unto them, It is enough." He didn't say don't take up the sword. He said two are enough.

Jesus didn't say 'no more of this' in Luke 22:11. He said, " And Jesus answered and said, Suffer ye thus far. And he touched his ear, and healed him."

Just because I see the Bible as the Word of God as it stands written, you say to me it is useless to me? Strange statement. (Ps. 138:2) "..for thou hast magnified thy word above all thy name."

Well, show where I have taken anything out of context to be accused of 'cherry picking".

No, as I said, Jesus did not revoke the death penalty. The death penalty was before the Law. Jesus fulfilled and made an end of the Law. The death penalty is still in place. And all those who don't exercise it are in disobedience to God. There was no death penalty when Cain killed Able. Thus God did not kill him. Thus God did not allow man to kill him. But after the flood, things changed, and God instituted the death penalty.

What do I care about one 'Lactantus'? He could be right or wrong.

Should we as Christians act on the Sermon on the Mount? No. It is not a law for Christians to live under. We have the ability because we have the Holy Spirit to accomplish those things given in the Sermon on the Mount. But they are not a law for us to live by as they will be for Israel, and those alive during the kingdom reign of Christ on earth.

Yes, a new commandment the Lord gives us to love one another. We love the sistern and brethren in Christ. That is why it is a 'new' commandment.

I certainly can't dictate which relative you have more respect for. I only say, your Nazi Granddad was doing his duty. As did your relative who was killed.

Well, Romans 13:1 says " ...the powers that be are ordained of God." This means the winner is the one ordained of God. As much as I may detest that winner. As I do at times. As it says in Joshua, the angel of the Lord is for the Lord. All human governments will fall eventually.

If your giving unto Caesar what is Caesar's then according to you, you're serving two masters. I don't see it that way, but you do. As far as Tertullian is concerend, he was wrong. As is your Traditio Apostolica, it was wrong also.

If it was an attempt at humor, it was feeble. Yet one can still see your antagonism toward David, a man after God's own heart. Becoming a soldier is not a mark of the beast. Thus no repentance required.

Stranger

logabe

Aug 28, 2008
Stranger said:
Why did God not say to Israel, when they were to enter the promised land, to love your enemies?

Stranger
​Because they had rejected His Law (sword) @ Mount Sinai, so God gave them
​a physical sword to protect them from their (enemies) wicked ways, until the
​progression of the Kingdom would arrive with the manifestation of the Son of
God 1500 years later.

Logabe

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
logabe said:
​Because they had rejected His Law (sword) @ Mount Sinai, so God gave them
​a physical sword to protect them from their (enemies) wicked ways, until the
​progression of the Kingdom would arrive with the manifestation of the Son of
God 1500 years later.

Logabe

But, they did not reject the Law of God. (Ex. 19:8) " And all the people answered together, and said, All that the LORD hath spoken we will do. And Moses returned the words of the people unto the LORD."

Stranger

junobet

May 20, 2016
Germany
Stranger said:
Christ did not take away the sword. (Luke 22:38) " And they said, Lord, behold, here are two swords. And he said unto them, It is enough." He didn't say don't take up the sword. He said two are enough.

Jesus didn't say 'no more of this' in Luke 22:11. He said, " And Jesus answered and said, Suffer ye thus far. And he touched his ear, and healed him."
Two swords are enough to start a war? Hardly! They are enough though to fulfill prophecy, which is what Jesus explicitly intents them for. Jesus says “No more of this” to violence ´. (Luke 22:51) Clearly He does not want us to use swords. The parallel passage in Matthew states: "Put your sword back in its place," Jesus said to him, "for all who draw the sword will die by the sword. Do you think I cannot call on my Father, and he will at once put at my disposal more than twelve legions of angels?" (Matthew 26:52-53) Face it: in Jesus Christ the Lion of Judah, that the Jews expected as their Messiah, revealed Himself as the Lamb of God. It’s the lamb’s martyrdom that Christians ought to follow.

What do I care about one 'Lactantus'? He could be right or wrong.
True, he could be right or wrong just like you and I. But given that we get the gist of contemporary texts best, find it harder to understand texts written 200 years ago and much harder still to get the gist of texts written 2000 years ago, I think the early Christians’ judgement in these questions is probably better than yours.

I see the Bible as the Word of God as it stands written

(...)

Should we as Christians act on the Sermon on the Mount? No.
You don’t even see the contradiction between those two statements, do you? Clearly you don’t see Mt. 7:21-27 as it stands written. It’s the fruit of our faith that we shall be known by and the Bible doesn’t have a high opinion on people who claim to know God, but deny Him by their actions (Titus 1:16)

Becoming a soldier is not a mark of the beast. Thus no repentance required.
We'll see.

logabe

Aug 28, 2008
Stranger said:
But, they did not reject the Law of God. (Ex. 19:8) " And all the people answered together, and said, All that the LORD hath spoken we will do. And Moses returned the words of the people unto the LORD."

Stranger
​They heard the Law from Moses, but they didn't obey it. They vowed a vow they couldn't keep.
​That's what the Old Covenant was predicated upon... man keeping his vow to God. Nobody kept
​the Law in that day and nobody can keep it today.

​My point is, it is not predicated upon our performance in the New Covenant, but upon God's
​performance. Now, because of the performance of the Son of God, we are given the ability to
​Love our enemies through our faith in Jesus Christ. The word (sword) has destroyed the old
​man within us, when we daily read and meditate upon His Law.

Logabe

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
junobet said:
Two swords are enough to start a war? Hardly! They are enough though to fulfill prophecy, which is what Jesus explicitly intents them for. Jesus says “No more of this” to violence ´. (Luke 22:51) Clearly He does not want us to use swords. The parallel passage in Matthew states: "Put your sword back in its place," Jesus said to him, "for all who draw the sword will die by the sword. Do you think I cannot call on my Father, and he will at once put at my disposal more than twelve legions of angels?" (Matthew 26:52-53) Face it: in Jesus Christ the Lion of Judah, that the Jews expected as their Messiah, revealed Himself as the Lamb of God. It’s the lamb’s martyrdom that Christians ought to follow.

True, he could be right or wrong just like you and I. But given that we get the gist of contemporary texts best, find it harder to understand texts written 200 years ago and much harder still to get the gist of texts written 2000 years ago, I think the early Christians’ judgement in these questions is probably better than yours.

You don’t even see the contradiction between those two statements, do you? Clearly you don’t see Mt. 7:21-27 as it stands written. It’s the fruit of our faith that we shall be known by and the Bible doesn’t have a high opinion on people who claim to know God, but deny Him by their actions (Titus 1:16)

We'll see.
Christ did not say put down the sword. He said put up the sword in it's place. Back in your sheath. Now, of course Christ did not need or want the sword to be used in His defense. He knew His work and it had to be done. If He allowed the disciples to take up the sword to defend Him then the Romans would have killed them.

There is a difference in being involved in ministry and walking in this world. There is a difference in Church and State. The State can never run itself like the Church. It won't survive. The Christian cannot walk in the world like he is always in Church. A change came upon the way the believer is to now walk when Christ knew His time to leave was near.

Originally Christ said, (Matt. 10:6-10), " But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel. And as you go, preach saying, The kingdom of heaven is at hand. Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers,raise the dead, cast out devils: freely ye have received, freely give. Provide neither gold, nor silver, nor brass in your purses, Nor scrip for your journey,neither two coats, neither shoes, nor yet staves: for the workmen is worthy of his meat."

But now the direction of the message has changed. Instead of Israel, they are to go to all nations. (Matt.28:19) " Go ye therefore, and teach all nations" And the message changed. Instead of it being 'repent the kingdom is at hand', it is 'believe on Jesus Christ'. (Mark 16:15-16 " ...Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned."

In (Luke 22:35-36) Christ is reminding the disciples of what He said to them in (Matt. 10:6-10). In the verses in Luke He says, "...When I sent you without purse,and scrip, and shoes, lacked ye any thing? And they said nothing." Note what Christ says next. "...But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."

Can God not supply our needs while Christ is in Heaven as he supplied the disciples needs while Christ was on earth? Of course He can. But Christ noted there is a difference with Him not being here bodily amongst the disciples. And the disciples and we are to do all we can to provide for our needs when carrying the Gospel or in our everyday lives. The sword is for defense. Whether it be for war or individual defense.

I'm sure there are thousands of early texts that you and I agree and disagree on. It is not just that they are old, but what they are saying.

No, I see no contradiction. When you say 'act on it', it places it as a rule of law for me to live by. And as I indicated earlier, the Sermon on the Mount is not a law for the Church to follow. There is application to be made of course. But we are not under it as a law. The fruit of our faith can indeed reflect the Sermon on the Mount. But only if it is a product of the Spirit and not the law.

Why didn't Christ ever rebuke any soldier for being a soldier? Why wasn't Cornelius told to get out of the army? (Acts 10:1-2) " There was a certain man in Caesarea called Cornelius, a centurian of the band called the Italian band. A devout man, and one that feared God with all his house, which gave much alms to the people, and prayed to God alway. "

Stranger

Last edited:

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
logabe said:
​They heard the Law from Moses, but they didn't obey it. They vowed a vow they couldn't keep.
​That's what the Old Covenant was predicated upon... man keeping his vow to God. Nobody kept
​the Law in that day and nobody can keep it today.

​My point is, it is not predicated upon our performance in the New Covenant, but upon God's
​performance. Now, because of the performance of the Son of God, we are given the ability to
​Love our enemies through our faith in Jesus Christ. The word (sword) has destroyed the old
​man within us, when we daily read and meditate upon His Law.

Logabe
Yes we do have the ability to love our enemies through the Holy Spirit. But we have the ability also to defend ourselves or go to war if need be. See my reply above to junobet.

Stranger

logabe

Aug 28, 2008
Stranger said:
Yes we do have the ability to love our enemies through the Holy Spirit. But we have the ability also to defend ourselves or go to war if need be. See my reply above to junobet.

Stranger
​We are suppose to be reconcilers in the Kingdom of God. Our job is to bring peace to the
​rest of the world. We could force people through war for awhile, but Love will always trump
​war.

Logabe

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
logabe said:
​We are suppose to be reconcilers in the Kingdom of God. Our job is to bring peace to the
​rest of the world. We could force people through war for awhile, but Love will always trump
​war.

Logabe
Where do you get that our job is to bring peace to the world? The truth is we and our message of Christ, brings conflict into the world.

Stranger

logabe

Aug 28, 2008
Stranger said:
Where do you get that our job is to bring peace to the world? The truth is we and our message of Christ, brings conflict into the world.

Stranger
​Love your enemies, do good to them that despitefully use you and your reward will
be great in the Kingdom of God. Col. 1:19-20 says,

​19 For it was the Father's good pleasure for all the fullness
​to dwell in Him,
​20 and through Him to reconcile all things to Himself, having
made peace through the blood of His cross; through Him, I say,
​whether things in earth or things in heaven.

​We are ambassadors of Christ through the work that He accomplished at the cross.
​2nd Corinthians 5: 18-20 says,

18 Now all of these things are from God, who reconciled us to
​Himself through Christ, and gave us the ministry of reconciliation,
​19 namely, that God was in Christ reconciling the world unto Him-
self, not counting their trespasses against them, and He has
​committed to us the word of reconciliation.
​20 Therefore, we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God was
​entreating through us; we beg you on the behalf of Christ, be
​reconciled to God.

​Jesus is the Prince of Peace and we are to follow in His footsteps and become just like Him.
We need to take up our cross and follow Him. The sword that He uses is the Word of God,
​which is, His Law. When we lay down the physical sword and pickup the spiritual sword, His
​Grace begins to work within us to become like Him.

Logabe