Madness isn't sin, if you can't live without it (selah)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Gottservant

Oct 19, 2022
Greensborough
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hi there,

So this is just a little proverb that has helped me a lot over the years. It is not meant to replace proper psychiatric advice, just contextualize what it is we struggle with, when we struggle with madness. Indeed madness is often confused with psychosis, we don't necessarily see madness in its own pristine state. Sometimes we sense madness is there, other times we are taken aback at how much psychosis can take over, when we ignore madness. As such it is important, to know what it is we are dealing with, when it comes to our state of mind and the development of it. The question of what response we should have to madness can be clouded, by our fear of psychosis, but there is a proper way to approach it, as this proverb makes clear, and this is the proverb:
Gottservant said:
Madness isn't sin, if you can't live without it (selah)
The are two basic elements to this proverb, one, there is a connection between madness and condemnation, specifically the condemnation of sin. When we are mad, the danger can be that we say "this madness is your fault, you have sinned in some way" - but this isn't true. Madness can be completely innocent, even put on, for the sake of mercy. There is a sense indeed that we would sin more, if madness was considered sin - we wouldn't be able to cope. So it is that we must be circumspect about how we hold ourselves accountable, for madness - it is certainly not the same thing, as sinning.

The second element of this proverb, is that the difference between madness and sin can be qualified in a distinct way: the measure of our madness, is proportional to how much we need it: if we can't live without it, then madness is justified, in some measure. That's not to say that steering in or out of madness, does not experience scrutiny, just that, all things considered, we may find that it comforts us, or guides us in a way in which we are familiar with. It's not to say we will die, without it - there is a middle ground there - but that in some way, the madness helps us live. If we couldn't live without it, trying to remove it would make it worse! That's what we don't want. Sure, it might help to answer the question "how would we do without madness, if we could?", but fundamentally, what we want to say is "I accept my madness".

If we can accept ourselves in the process (of accepting madness) that will prove the point, that this (proverbial) notion of acceptance sets out: madness is not completely unacceptable! There should be joy in this, to share, in reality. I pray that you know how to deal with your own madness, and that this has helped a little, for you to feel that you can cope.

God bless.

Reactions: dev553344

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Here's a similar thought, for you:

Like if you went as slowly as you could, would you still be "mad"?
Maybe . . . ! ! ! Maybe not . . . ! ! ! . . . Someone tripping on LSD or some other psychoactive substance might go slowly mad trying to figure out if the madness of reality is the same as the reality of madness . . . far out man!

Last edited:

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
It is not a proverb, it is only a saying you have.
Madness, however one defines it is an illness that needs treatment.

We are all responsible moral beings who need to act in a responsible, moral way.
Insanity may prevent one from doing so temporarily, but we need to know that we need to accept help, take medication etc etc etc.

Someone who drinks and drives is responsible for any accident they cause, equally not taking one's medication renders one responsible for action done while ' mad '.

Gottservant

Oct 19, 2022
Greensborough
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
It is not a proverb, it is only a saying you have.
Madness, however one defines it is an illness that needs treatment.
You are conflating what is a very diverse experience.

Madness doesn't just get "stuck" to people, it is an outgrowth of change that can be very difficult to navigate.

Apache1

Nov 19, 2022
Norwich
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Madness is sending billions of us here to suffer and die because a whiny fallen angel threw a tantrum and nothing happened to him

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
You are conflating what is a very diverse experience.

Madness doesn't just get "stuck" to people, it is an outgrowth of change that can be very difficult to navigate.
No I am taking the modern medical view of mental illness. That it is an illness that can be treated, where it cannot be cured, for suffers to be helped to live with it, minimising its affects.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Indeed madness is often confused with psychosis, we don't necessarily see madness in its own pristine state.
Anyone who praises madness has to be crazy. "Pristine state" indeed. Madness is not sin, and neither is it praiseworthy. Quite the opposite. And what we are seeing all around us today is total madness.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have schizophrenia. I usually can recognize if I'm thinking paranoid thoughts or hearing voices that aren't my own thoughts or the TV show or radio is speaking about me. I just try to ignore it. But I'm on good medication for it so that helps.

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I have schizophrenia. I usually can recognize if I'm thinking paranoid thoughts or hearing voices that aren't my own thoughts or the TV show or radio is speaking about me. I just try to ignore it. But I'm on good medication for it so that helps.
How does this affect your work/life balance?