Masculinity isn't toxic--- our culture is

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GodsBeloved11

Sep 15, 2021
Bristol
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Although I dislike tattoos, that one's okay as far as they go.

I know my version of femininity doesn't appeal to everyone but I look best with simplicity. Simple colors and styles. I don't really wear makeup or jewelry. But I am growing my hair out.

It's a personal choice, isn't it? Whatever you feel comfotable with. I don't wear much make up these days but I love jewelelry.and gypsy hippie sort of styles, long flowing skirts, sandals, bracelets and fancy handbags.

I love how God created us all different with different tastes and styles and that in Christ we can look both modest and stylish!

Re: you're right. Masculinity in itself isn't toxic . Toxicity isn't gendered, it's a human thing. Result of a fallen world and sin.

Reactions: Hidden In Him

GodsBeloved11

Sep 15, 2021
Bristol
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Men often put up with tougher jobs, tougher treatment from society, and are statistically more likely to commit suicide. But they are disrespected by western society because of the push back on patriarchy.

Sitcoms depict men as lazy and stupid with smart and capable wives. Men are often struck by women in cartoons and are simply supposed to take it---but those who strike women are always depicted as bad.

But in reality, men often feel particularly burdened and responsible for their wives and families welfare. This is because God called them to lead.

Their masculinity is not toxic, but vital, as they are traditionally called to lay down their lives for women and children and to protect us with their strength.

What was toxic in my marriage was not my husband's masculinity, but the moments where I simply didn't understand. The times I assumed he wasn't as burdened as me. The times I didn't understand his need to be strong and not express all his emotions. The times that I listened to my friends and failed to respect him.

But for every time I obeyed the Word of God, God has blessed us all the more. A husband is like a covering over the wife. And so it is with my husband.

He is the patrol watching out for me. He sees danger and warns me of trouble long before it gets to me. He is the person who will say "no" on my behalf and his consistency and strength has saved me from ruin time and again.

In return, he doesn't seem to want a great deal of things. If anything, he counts me being relaxed and happy with him as his reward.

What's toxic is that men are expected to do a lot in relationships and women want to be treasured, but if a man has standards or expectations, we call him shallow or chauvinist.

Women are no longer taught what it means to build with a man. They're taught to expect him to have everything all together at once but this is not biblical.

The bible calls a wife a helpmeet. Because men need help. The Proverbs 31 woman whose husband is well known likely got there partly because of the virtuous woman's help.

What's toxic is that disrespecting women is considered offensive but disrespecting men has become the norm.

Yeah, I've noticed that in sitcoms too. Men being treated like they stupid buffoons. I hate it. I think sexism goes both ways, and I think it's always wrong.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's a personal choice, isn't it? Whatever you feel comfotable with. I don't wear much make up these days but I love jewelelry.and gypsy hippie sort of styles, long flowing skirts, sandals, bracelets and fancy handbags.

That's probably a sight to behold. :) But then some women can pull it off really well.

About your avatar, I'm not particularly crazy about sunflowers myself, but I tend to like those who do : ) Welcome to the forum. Hope you will be blessed being a member here, and make lots of friends.

Yours in Christ,
Hidden In Him

Last edited:
Reactions: GodsBeloved11

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Men often put up with tougher jobs, tougher treatment from society, and are statistically more likely to commit suicide. But they are disrespected by western society because of the push back on patriarchy.

Sitcoms depict men as lazy and stupid with smart and capable wives. Men are often struck by women in cartoons and are simply supposed to take it---but those who strike women are always depicted as bad.

But in reality, men often feel particularly burdened and responsible for their wives and families welfare. This is because God called them to lead.

Their masculinity is not toxic, but vital, as they are traditionally called to lay down their lives for women and children and to protect us with their strength.

What was toxic in my marriage was not my husband's masculinity, but the moments where I simply didn't understand. The times I assumed he wasn't as burdened as me. The times I didn't understand his need to be strong and not express all his emotions. The times that I listened to my friends and failed to respect him.

But for every time I obeyed the Word of God, God has blessed us all the more. A husband is like a covering over the wife. And so it is with my husband.

He is the patrol watching out for me. He sees danger and warns me of trouble long before it gets to me. He is the person who will say "no" on my behalf and his consistency and strength has saved me from ruin time and again.

In return, he doesn't seem to want a great deal of things. If anything, he counts me being relaxed and happy with him as his reward.

What's toxic is that men are expected to do a lot in relationships and women want to be treasured, but if a man has standards or expectations, we call him shallow or chauvinist.

Women are no longer taught what it means to build with a man. They're taught to expect him to have everything all together at once but this is not biblical.

The bible calls a wife a helpmeet. Because men need help. The Proverbs 31 woman whose husband is well known likely got there partly because of the virtuous woman's help.

What's toxic is that disrespecting women is considered offensive but disrespecting men has become the norm.

Aww that was a heart warming read... Thanks for sharing Wynona... I really hate that term "toxic masculinity"

An interesting fact about suicide...
Yes its true that men account for most suicides, i think its 3 in 4...
But for every successful suicide there are 25-30 attempted suicides.
And from those unsuccessful suicides about 3 quarters are female...
My point is simply that suicide is a problem for everyone... A real spiritual problem

Reactions: Wynona

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Aww that was a heart warming read... Thanks for sharing Wynona... I really hate that term "toxic masculinity"

An interesting fact about suicide...
Yes its true that men account for most suicides, i think its 3 in 4...
But for every successful suicide there are 25-30 attempted suicides.
And from those unsuccessful suicides about 3 quarters are female...
My point is simply that suicide is a problem for everyone... A real spiritual problem
The self accusing voices reinforcing 'you are not good enough, you are not good enough' has people in despair. Then comes the Gospel, 'you are accepted in the beloved'.
The prodigal says, I'm only worthy to be a servant and the older brother possibly thinks even less BUT the Father see's him at a distance because he's has long been watching and runs to meet him.....he'll have none of this servant stuff and calls for designer clothes and Italian shoes with a party to eclipse all parties because for him 'this is my Son who was lost and is found'

What a message for a sick and dying World.....what hope is held out to those who only hear 'you're not good enough, you're not good enough'

Reactions: Cristo Rei

GodsBeloved11

Sep 15, 2021
Bristol
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
That's probably a sight to behold. :) But then some women can pull it off really well.

About your avatar, I'm not particularly crazy about sunflowers myself, but I tend to like those who do : ) Welcome to the forum. Hope you will be blessed being a member here, and make lots of friends.

Yours in Christ,
Hidden In Him

Bless you! Nice to meet you

Reactions: Hidden In Him

GodsBeloved11

Sep 15, 2021
Bristol
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The self accusing voices reinforcing 'you are not good enough, you are not good enough' has people in despair. Then comes the Gospel, 'you are accepted in the beloved'.
The prodigal says, I'm only worthy to be a servant and the older brother possibly thinks even less BUT the Father see's him at a distance because he's has long been watching and runs to meet him.....he'll have none of this servant stuff and calls for designer clothes and Italian shoes with a party to eclipse all parties because for him 'this is my Son who was lost and is found'

What a message for a sick and dying World.....what hope is held out to those who only hear 'you're not good enough, you're not good enough'

I'm no stranger to that voice, it's been tormenting me my whole life but you are absolutely right! Thanks for your post

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I'm no stranger to that voice, it's been tormenting me my whole life but you are absolutely right! Thanks for your post
GB11....those voices afflict us all and if it wasn't for the knowledge that God's verdict of me is otherwise, I would believe them and they would crush me. I thank God for his promises, for his long-suffering and that in truth I am his precious child.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

Very well said @Wynona Have you read this book By John Eldredge - Wild at Heart: Discovering the Secret of a Man's Soul (New edition): Amazon.co.uk: 8601300489896: Books

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure. Who can understand it? - Jeremiah 17:9

Reactions: farouk

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
@Pearl I just looked at the reviews at the link; they are quite brief, really; so do you recommend it?
I absolutely do farouk for both men and women. It was an eye opener for me when I read it.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I have not read it. Do you recommend it?
i do Wynona, for both men and women. It really opened my eyes to a lot which is wrong in the church today. It is brilliant. If you read it please pm me and let me know what you think.