Master/Teacher

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You need to talk to the Lord my friend and let where you are coming from be revealed to your own heart.

My point in this is that when one is a Christian, even those of history, you usually don't have to give them the benefit of the doubt. Their lives and statements are known enough.

For example: Robert E. Lee

Robert E. Lee was definitely a born-again Christian. In 1864 chaplains in his army were concerned over officers ignoring the Sunday Sabbath, which was supposed to be observed per Lee's order of 1862, that all duties except inspection were to be suspended to allow the men to attend religious services. They requested to see the General concerning this. They told him of the great Christian revival that was sweeping through the Southern camps and bringing thousands to Christ. To which Lee responded in giving another order #15 where officers were required to help those assembling for worship, whether it be structures to be built or keeping the peace around such places of worship.

The chaplains thanked Gen. Lee and told him and others were praying for him. To which he responded, "Please thank them for that, sir-I warmly appreciate it. And I can only say that I am nothing but a poor sinner, trusting in Christ alone for salvation and need all of the prayers they can offer for me." (Christ In The Camp, J.William Jones, D.D. Sprinkle Publications, 1986, p. 49-50)

And it is this man's and others of the South like him, whose statues are demonized, vandalized, and removed, in America today.

Stranger

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My point in this is that when one is a Christian, even those of history, you usually don't have to give them the benefit of the doubt. Their lives and statements are known enough.

For example: Robert E. Lee

Robert E. Lee was definitely a born-again Christian. In 1864 chaplains in his army were concerned over officers ignoring the Sunday Sabbath, which was supposed to be observed per Lee's order of 1862, that all duties except inspection were to be suspended to allow the men to attend religious services. They requested to see the General concerning this. They told him of the great Christian revival that was sweeping through the Southern camps and bringing thousands to Christ. To which Lee responded in giving another order #15 where officers were required to help those assembling for worship, whether it be structures to be built or keeping the peace around such places of worship.

The chaplains thanked Gen. Lee and told him and others were praying for him. To which he responded, "Please thank them for that, sir-I warmly appreciate it. And I can only say that I am nothing but a poor sinner, trusting in Christ alone for salvation and need all of the prayers they can offer for me." (Christ In The Camp, J.William Jones, D.D. Sprinkle Publications, 1986, p. 49-50)

And it is this man's and others of the South like him, whose statues are demonized, vandalized, and removed, in America today.

Stranger
I already knew this about Gen. Lee. I also dislike much of what you describe in today's world, but fighting a battle against me on the issues of who was or was not a follower of Christ then will not help either of us. I was not alive then and did not fight for the South but all of the men in my family at that time did. I would not spit on their efforts and suffering in any case. But, enough of that, let us go on to God's work. For me this is not it.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I already knew this about Gen. Lee. I also dislike much of what you describe in today's world, but fighting a battle against me on the issues of who was or was not a follower of Christ then will not help either of us. I was not alive then and did not fight for the South but all of the men in my family at that time did. I would not spit on their efforts and suffering in any case. But, enough of that, let us go on to God's work. For me this is not it.

That's fine, but getting history correct is important. Especially when it involves Christianity. And there was a whole lot about that war that was over Christianity. In other words, a Christian people create a Christian culture. A pagan people create a pagan culture.

The same types of people, the same culture that wants to tear down the Confederate flag and monuments, are the same that don't want the nativity scenes in public places. The same that don't want prayer in public schools. So, you say the fight was back then? Just read the papers. It is still going on.

My point again is this. Everyone wants to put Lincoln on a pedestal but don't really know why.

Stranger

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's fine, but getting history correct is important. Especially when it involves Christianity. And there was a whole lot about that war that was over Christianity. In other words, a Christian people create a Christian culture. A pagan people create a pagan culture.

The same types of people, the same culture that wants to tear down the Confederate flag and monuments, are the same that don't want the nativity scenes in public places. The same that don't want prayer in public schools. So, you say the fight was back then? Just read the papers. It is still going on.

My point again is this. Everyone wants to put Lincoln on a pedestal but don't really know why.

Stranger

I never meant to put Lincoln on a pedestal, Stranger. It was his quote I liked which caused me to consider Jesus Christ; His power and His character...not Lincolns. I didn't know if Lincoln was atheist or Christian; I have never gave it much thought. I am not good with history.

I do understand your concern. There are discussions circulating in even my small home town to take down the bronze monument that has been there longer than my mother has been alive. It has never caused a problem before. Now it's got to go.

Angel Holds Dead Rebel, Salisbury, North Carolina

Last edited:

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I never meant to put Lincoln on a pedestal, Stranger. It was his quote I liked which caused me to consider Jesus Christ; His power and His character...not Lincolns. I didn't know if Lincoln was atheist or Christian; I have never gave it much thought. I am not good with history.

I do understand your concern. There are discussions circulating in even my small home town to take down the bronze monument that has been there longer than my mother has been alive. It has never caused a problem before. Now it's got to go.

Angel Holds Dead Rebel, Salisbury, North Carolina

I understand. So many people do put him on a pedestal however, and elevate him to god status, just as they did with John Brown. And in the past it has been done before...to equate Lincoln or Brown with Christ and diety. One can just look at the hymn, 'Battle Hymn of the Republic'. Found in most church hymnals, when they used to have hymnals. It is not a hymn about Jesus Christ. It is a hymn about Lincoln and Sherman destroying the Southern people.

I have no reason to believe Lincoln was a Christian. I have seen no evidence.

Yes, all Confederate symbols and statues are under attack. The black racists and anti-christian liberal left can do it because they have the power of the federal govt. behind them to do it. And the feds don't like anything Confederate anyway. Sorry to hear they are after yall's.

Anyway, I just like to set the record straight.

Stranger

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
I have no reason to believe Lincoln was a Christian. I have seen no evidence.
then the solution is to get some eyes, not deny truth staring you in the face imo

a poor way of saying that Washington represented the country, while Lincoln represented the Nation; two different concepts.

My apologies there.

Last edited:

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
hopefully you see the sense in which i do not even agree with Mr Lincoln's premises, but i still respect that he died for his friends, in a way that your war heroes did not.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Does it really matter what name men are called by or what others call them. Are not these things categorisations to fit into preconceived constructs.
The quote by Lincoln rings true. It matters not to me what title he wears or others bestow upon him.

Even if the devil spoke the truth would it make it any less true?

Reactions: Pisteuo