Matthew 4:4 Paraphrase

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Marc RL Ministry

May 28, 2021
Melbourne
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
But He replied, “It is written, People shall not live by grace of Jesus Christ alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of Jesus Christ.’”

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Whose paraphrase? Where did the word, "grace" come into it?

Mt 4:4 But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God. [KJV]

Mt 4:4 But he answering said, `It hath been written, Not upon bread alone doth man live, but upon every word coming forth from the mouth of God.` [Young]

Mt 4:4 Und er antwortete und sprach: Es steht geschrieben: "Der Mensch lebt nicht vom Brot allein, sondern von einem jeglichen Wort, das durch den Mund Gottes geht." [Luther]

Mt 4:4 Mas él respondiendo, dijo: Escrito está: No con solo el pan vivirá el hombre, mas con toda palabra que sale de la boca de Dios. [Reina Valera Antigua]

Bread/Brot/Pan:

a[rtoß Artos (ar'-tos);
Word Origin: Greek, Noun Masculine, Strong #: 740

1. food composed of flour mixed with water and baked
    1. the Israelites made it in the form of an oblong or round cake, as thick as one's thumb, and as large as a plate or platter hence it was not to be cut but broken
    2. loaves were consecrated to the Lord
    3. of the bread used at the love-feasts and at the Lord's Table
  2. food of any kind

Reactions: GRACE ambassador

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But He replied, “It is written, People shall not live by grace of Jesus Christ alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of Jesus Christ.’”
Why would you do that?

4 But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

Much love!

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
With all due respect Marc, before you go into any kind of ministry you need to settle some things in your mind. You seem to be going off on tangents.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Amadeus, Marks, Enoch111... I too wonder what he's getting at. But think about for a second. What does literal bread have to do with grace? Does spiritual bread have anything to do with grace? Well, I can work with that as Jesus said "this is my body" when showing bread. I can wind through that reasoning... But Jesus was speaking of literal bread at the time... Cause he was hungry! And literal bread has nothing to do with grace!

But maybe he has something.... I think I know what it is, and its a pretty muddy road. But... Perhaps he will share.

Reactions: amadeus

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Amadeus, Marks, Enoch111... I too wonder what he's getting at. But think about for a second. What does literal bread have to do with grace? Does spiritual bread have anything to do with grace? Well, I can work with that as Jesus said "this is my body" when showing bread. I can wind through that reasoning... But Jesus was speaking of literal bread at the time... Cause he was hungry! And literal bread has nothing to do with grace!

But maybe he has something.... I think I know what it is, and its a pretty muddy road. But... Perhaps he will share.
It's easy enough for me to see the suggested connection, "I AM the bread of life". It's like what I hear people say, "It preaches well". Something that makes a great point, but it's not really what the text is saying.

Much love!

Reactions: FHII

Marc RL Ministry

May 28, 2021
Melbourne
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
John 6:48 (TLV)
I am the bread of life.

John 6:35 (TLV)
Yeshua said to them, “I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to Me will never be hungry, and whoever believes in Me will never be thirsty.

John 6:51 (TLV)
I am the living bread, which came down from heaven. If anyone eats this bread, he will live forever. This bread is My flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.”

I suggest if anyone is downcast about the paraphrase it says more about your walk than the paraphrase.

Last edited:

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Marc,
Your paraphrase seems to miss the point Jesus was making. Was it your intent to use Matthew 4:4 to make another point of your own?

It would be interesting to review Deuteronomy 8:3 to see what Moses and Jesus had in mind.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am the bread of life.

Yeshua said to them, “I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to Me will never be hungry, and whoever believes in Me will never be thirsty.

I am the living bread, which came down from heaven. If anyone eats this bread, he will live forever. This bread is My flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.”

I suggest if anyone is downcast about the paraphrase it says more about your walk than the paraphrase.
While some may understand your point, perhaps you should share it with all of us certain we all have it. Teachers ask questions, but sometimes they also provide answers.

"Who hath ears to hear, let him hear.
And the disciples came, and said unto him, Why speakest thou unto them in parables?
He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given.
For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath.
Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand." Matt 13:9-13

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am the bread of life.

I'd rather allow the passage to retain the meaning God gave it, than what you would change it to.

Again I ask, why change it?

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Marc,
Your paraphrase seems to miss the point Jesus was making. Was it your intent to use Matthew 4:4 to make another point of your own?

It would be interesting to review Deuteronomy 8:3 to see what Moses and Jesus had in mind.
Each of the quotes Jesus uses, when you go back to the original passage, they have a lot to say about what was happening. Jesus chose His quotes with amazing accuracy!

Much love!