May a Christian Believe in Reincarnation?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Dr. Jonathan Österman

Jan 5, 2024
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

May a Christian Believe in Reincarnation?​

Full article: May a Christian Believe in Reincarnation?

Reincarnation-also known as the transmigration of souls-is not some exotic Eastern idea of non-Christian mysticism. In ancient orthodox Jewish and Christian writings, as well as the Holy Scriptures, we can find reincarnation as a fully developed belief, although today it is commonly ignored.

Belief Of The Apostles

The Apostles also believed in reincarnation, for: “As Jesus passed by, he saw a man which was blind from his birth. And his disciples asked him, saying, Master, who did sin, this man, or his parents, that he was born blind? Jesus answered, Neither hath this man sinned, nor his parents: but that the works of God should be made manifest in him.”20Jesus, the Light of the World, would certainly have rebuked the Apostles for wrong belief if reincarnation was not true. Although the man’s blindness was for the glory of God, the Lord said, “neither this man nor his parents sinned,” implying that the man had certainly existed-and been capable of sinning-before his birth in which he was blind.

Non-Belief in Reincarnation Rebuked By Jesus

When the Pharisee, Nicodemus, expressed his doubts as to a man being able to enter the womb and be born again, physically, saying: “How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother’s womb, and be born?” the Lord Jesus reproved him, saying: “Art thou a master [teacher] of Israel, and knowest not these things?…If I have told you earthly things [about physical rebirth], and ye believe not, how shall ye believe, if I tell you of heavenly things [about the spiritual rebirth]?”21 especially when every educated Jew was familiar with the already-cited words of Job: “Naked came I out of my mother’s womb, and naked shall I return thither.”22 Moreover, every Jew had heard these words of Moses scores of times: “Even from everlasting to everlasting, Thou art God. Thou turnest man to destruction; and sayest, Return, ye children of men….Thou carriest them away like a flood; they are as a sleep: in the morning they are like grass which groweth up [again]….in the evening it is [again] cut down.”23

This same idea was also to be found in the prayer of Tobit: “Blessed be God that liveth for ever, and blessed be his kingdom. For he doth scourge, and hath mercy: he leadeth down to hell [hades], and bringeth up again: neither is there any that can avoid his hand.”24

Also familiar would have been the direct reference to reincarnation in Ecclesiasticus: “Woe be unto you, ungodly men, which have forsaken the law of the most high God! For when you are born, you shall be born to a curse: and when you die, a curse shall be your portion. All that are of the earth shall return to the earth again: so the ungodly shall go from a curse to destruction.”25

God’s Law Behind Reincarnation

But why? Saint Paul tells us: “Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.26 In other words, if we lie, we shall be lied to; if we steal, we shall be stolen from; if we cheat, we shall be cheated; if we injure, we shall be injured; if we kill, we shall be killed. Is this law inexorable? In the verse from Numbers, previously quoted, it is flatly stated that the Lord by no means clears the guilty. This supports Saint Paul’s contention that “God is not mocked.”

This principle is not new to either of the Testaments, for when Noah had come forth from the Ark, God enunciated the law: “Surely your blood of your lives will I require; at the hand of every beast I will require it, and at the hand of man….Whoso sheddeth man’s blood, by man shall his blood be shed.”27 Notice that this is not a social law, such as those given to Moses. Noah is not being instructed to take the life of murderers; the Lord says, “I will require it.” Yet, how many murderers go undetected and unpunished? Think of the murderers that die natural deaths-even in prisons. Yet God, Who “is not mocked” has said that their life shall be taken by man. And this is in keeping with the next verse in Saint Paul’s Galatians exposition: “For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap”-that is, we shall reap in our bodies exactly what we sow in our bodies. And if we die before so doing? Rebirth is the law.

What about the objection that Saint Paul also wrote: “It is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment” (Hebrews 9:27)? Nothing, except Saint Paul’s meaning: “Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men” (Romans 5:12). Adam’s transgression pronounced the death sentence upon all humanity. And, indeed, after each death we are judged to determine where we shall go in the astral world and when and where we shall return to earth in our next birth. It is interesting that the twentieth-century stigmatic, Teresa Neuman, saw that after death the departed soul was judged by Christ right here, some passing onward with Christ and others remaining in in the earth’s astral atmosphere, obviously to await rebirth.

A Dramatic Example

Certainly from the above we get the idea! Yet I cannot resist giving one more Biblical instance-bridging both the Old and the New Testaments-of how the human drama can be played out over the “acts” of several births on the stage of this world. (This example, by the way, was pointed out to me by Bess Hibarger, a Presbyterian Sunday School teacher of long standing and great popularity, who at least once a year devoted one Sunday to the subject of reincarnation.)

Ahab, the king of Israel, married Jezebel, who was a Gentile and an idolater. For these reasons, Elijah the prophet came to Ahab and challenged him, demanding that he rid himself of Jezebel. As could be expected, Jezebel decided that either Elijah or she had to go-and she preferred that it be Elijah. Though she had squadrons of soldiers searching for the prophet to kill him, he managed to elude them, and departed from this world still in hiding. Later, Jezebel died, but with the desire for the death of Elijah burning in her heart. Thus was the sowing; then came the reaping.

As the Lord Jesus said, Elijah was born again as John the Baptist. Ahab was reborn as Herod, and Jezebel as Herodias, the wife of Herod’s brother. Herod broke the Law by marrying Herodias illegally, thus committing the double crime of adultery and incest. Just as in the previous lifetime, John came to Herod and demanded that he get rid of Herodias. Herod had respect for John, and so tried to simply ignore him. Finally, at the insistence of Herodias he imprisoned John, and ultimately Herodias got John’s head on a platter, fulfilling her desire of centuries.

Further Reading on Reincarnation:

Reactions: Mr E

Dr. Jonathan Österman

Jan 5, 2024
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Keep in mind that God works in mysterious ways. God created my soul first, and then my soul was sent by God to inhabit the fetus in my mother's womb during her pregnancy. After I die, my soul will leave my dead body. At this point God will naturally judge my life, and instead of sending me to Hell, due to His Divine Love and His Divine Mercy, God might decide to send my sinful soul to another human fetus, to give me the second chance.

Can He do it, or not ?

And, can you tell me what the Holy Bible says, why God sends some souls to be born in India, in traditional Hindu or Buddhist religious families?

Last edited:

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Keep in mind that God works in mysterious ways. God created my soul first, and then my soul was sent by God to inhabit the fetus in my mother's womb during her pregnancy.

Real Christian's understand that the soul is the : Mind-Will- and Emotions, and that is not the Spirit,.

So, you have confused the soul realm, with the Life giving Spirit.

This means that everything you think you know about "reincarnation"...ect, ect..., is completely untrue and wrong.... @Dr. Jonathan Österman

My Advice is to learn some things about Christianity, and one them is.... the Spirit that is inside your body, will never die.
Your body is "dead because of sin" and they are going to bury your body, or cremate it.
Have you decided which?
Think about it...
So, the spirit that is inside your EARTH SUIT.....is going to end up somewhere after you die.
God, does not accept or allow the Spirit of an unbeliever, never born again... to come to where He exists, unless this person, while on earth, gave their Faith in Christ To God... and are born again = SPIRITUALLY.

Jesus said.. ."You MUST be born again".

And that is not water baptism.
That is not church membership.
That has nothing to do with "graduation with Honors" from a Religious Seminary.

So, everyone who wants to be with God, now, and after you die.... has to start the way God says you must begin.
And that Starting Place, is The Cross of Christ and Faith in Jesus.
God will accept nothing less..and everything else is LESS.

Last edited:

Dr. Jonathan Österman

Jan 5, 2024
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I think the bible is clear that when one dies they go to judgment for their single life lived.
Keep in mind that God works in mysterious ways. God created my soul first, and then my soul was sent by God to inhabit the fetus in my mother's womb during her pregnancy. After I die, my soul will leave my dead body. At this point God will naturally judge my life, and instead of sending me to Hell, due to His Divine Love and His Divine Mercy, God might decide to send my sinful soul to another human fetus, to give me the second chance.

Can He do it, or not ?

And, can you tell me what the Holy Bible says, why God sends some souls to be born in India, in traditional Hindu or Buddhist religious families?

Last edited:

Dr. Jonathan Österman

Jan 5, 2024
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
My Advice is to learn some things about Christianity, and one them is.... the Spirit that is inside your body, will never die.

Can He do it, or not ?

Last edited:

Dr. Jonathan Österman

Jan 5, 2024
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
... and it’s not in God's word ( THE HOLY BIBLE ).

Neither the existence of dinosaurs is taught in the Holy Bible.

Is the Flat Earth idea taught in the Holy Bible? :)

Is Copernicus' heliocentric astronomy taught in the Holy Bible?

Dear sister Rita, do you believe that whatever
is not taught in the Bible does not exist,
or is a satanic deception?

In principle, the nature of Interfaith Dialog allows us
the opportunity to challenge our own religious beliefs,
and therein lies the important value of it for World Peace.

Granted, not all Christians feel the pressing need
to challenge their religious beliefs, and that is very well and fine.

However, unfortunately, many of these same Christians
somehow do feel the pressing need to prevent other Christians
from doing so, and that is simply very wrong, because this is
precisely the kind of mentality that the Vatican authorities
had in their narrow dogmatic minds when forbidding
Galileo di Vincenzo Bonaiuti de Galilei from using
his much improved telescope and endorsing Copernican
heliocentrism that according to the infallible opinion
of the Holy Catholic Inquisition in 1615 was officially proclaimed
to be foolish, absurd, and heretical since it contradicted biblical creationism.

After several such heretics had been publicly burned
at the stake, the Vatican authorities no longer insist
that the Earth must be flat. :)

Last edited:

Dr. Jonathan Österman

Jan 5, 2024
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

May a Christian Believe in Reincarnation?

We can..... and we should.

But before anyone believes in reincarnation,
they should first understand what it is.

You made a very important point, dear brother E.
Most of us, Christians, have only heard some second-hand
idiotic gossip about Hindu or Buddhist reincarnation.

I believe in Christian reincarnation only, not Hindu nor Buddhist.

God created my soul first, and then my soul was sent by God to inhabit the fetus in my mother's womb during her pregnancy. After I die, my soul will leave my dead body. At this point God will naturally judge my life, and instead of sending me to Hell, due to His Divine Love and His Divine Mercy, God might decide to send my sinful soul to another human fetus, to give me the second chance.

Can He do it, or not ?

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr E

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And, can you tell me what the Holy Bible says, why God sends souls to be born in India, in traditional Hindu or Buddhist religious families?

I'm not sure what you might be referring to specifically, but I can tell you generally that we are all the same, all have accesss to Him, and that He promised (without winking) -- to raise us from the dead, those of us found 'in Him.' Acts 17

And hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation; That they should seek the Lord, if haply they might feel after him, and find him, though he be not far from every one of us: For in him we live, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also his offspring. Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man's device. And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent: Because he hath appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom he hath ordained; whereof he hath given assurance unto all men, in that he hath raised him from the dead.

Dr. Jonathan Österman

Jan 5, 2024
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Why God sends some souls to be born in India, in traditional Hindu or Buddhist religious families?

I'm not sure what you might be referring to specifically, but I can tell you generally that we are all the same, all have access to Him

Sure, we are all the same human beings with God-given souls. No doubt.

So, why God sends some souls to be born in India, in traditional Hindu or Buddhist religious families?

Is it because God wants Christian missionaries to travel to India in order to convert all the Hindus and all the Buddhists, so they don't go to Hell ?

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sure, we are all the same human beings with God-given souls. No doubt.

So, why God sends some souls to be born in India, in traditional Hindu or Buddhist religious families?

Is it because God wants Christian missionaries to travel to India in order to convert all the Hindus and all the Buddhists, so they don't go to Hell ?

The gospel is sent into all the world. It is these "some souls" that are sent, or more properly these spirits that become souls and minister throughout the world as the means by which the gospel is spread.

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Can He do it, or not ?

You are not immortal. God alone is immortal. 1 Tim 6:15 which God will bring about in his own time—God, the blessed and only Ruler, the King of kings and Lord of lords, 16 who alone is immortal and who lives in unapproachable light, whom no one has seen or can see. To him be honor and might forever. Amen.

Dr. Jonathan Österman

Jan 5, 2024
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Why God sends some souls to be born in India, in traditional Hindu or Buddhist religious families?

I'm not sure what you might be referring to specifically. The gospel is sent into all the world. It is these "some souls" that are sent, or more properly these spirits that become souls and minister throughout the world as the means by which the gospel is spread.

So, what you are saying is that the reason why God sends some souls to be born in India, in traditional Hindu or Buddhist religious families is because the gospel is sent into all the world, and it is these "some souls" that are sent and then minister throughout the world as the means by which the gospel is spread. :)

The true reason why you have been ignoring my question by being vague and evasive is simple — THERE IS NO GOOD ANSWER TO IT.

The reason why God sends some souls to be born in India, in traditional Hindu or Buddhist religious families is because God wants Christian missionaries to travel to India to spread the Gospel there, in order to convert all the Hindus and all the Buddhists, so they don't go to Hell. :)

Dr. Jonathan Österman

Jan 5, 2024
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
You are not immortal. God alone is immortal. 1 Tim 6:15 which God will bring about in his own time—God, the blessed and only Ruler, the King of kings and Lord of lords, 16 who alone is immortal and who lives in unapproachable light, whom no one has seen or can see. To him be honor and might forever. AMEN.

I completely do agree with you, my dear sister Cassandra. AMEN.

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So, what you are saying is that the reason why God sends some souls to be born in India, in traditional Hindu or Buddhist religious families is because the gospel is sent into all the world, and it is these "some souls" that are sent and then minister throughout the world as the means by which the gospel is spread. :)

The true reason why you have been ignoring my question by being vague and evasive is simple — THERE IS NO GOOD ANSWER TO IT.

The reason why God sends some souls to be born in India, in traditional Hindu or Buddhist religious families is because God wants Christian missionaries to travel to India to spread the Gospel there, in order to convert all the Hindus and all the Buddhists, so they don't go to Hell. :)

God is not willing that any should perish. This is why he leaves the 99 and sends His son to find that one sheep that is lost. It has nothing to do with the work of some missionary, but the work of the Shepherd. His sheep (no matter what pasture they might be in) hear his voice and follow.