May a Christian Believe in Reincarnation?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Dr. Jonathan Österman

Jan 5, 2024
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
You are not immortal. God alone is immortal. 1 Tim 6:15 which God will bring about in his own time—God, the blessed and only Ruler, the King of kings and Lord of lords, 16 who alone is immortal and who lives in unapproachable light, whom no one has seen or can see. To him be honor and might forever. AMEN.

AMEN to that, sis.

My dear sister Cassandra, why God sends some souls to be born in India, in traditional Hindu or Buddhist religious families?

Dr. Jonathan Österman

Jan 5, 2024
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Why God sends some souls to be born in India, in traditional Hindu or Buddhist religious families?

God is not willing that any should perish. This is why he leaves the 99 and sends His son to find that one sheep that is lost. It has nothing to do with the work of some missionary, but the work of the Shepherd. His sheep (no matter what pasture they might be in) hear his voice and follow.

So, what you are saying is that the reason why God sends some souls to be born in India, in traditional Hindu or Buddhist religious families is because God is not willing that any should perish. :)

And this is why God leaves the 99 and sends His son to find that one sheep that is lost. It has nothing to do with the work of some missionary, but the work of the Shepherd. His sheep (no matter what pasture they might be in) hear his voice and follow.

Dr. Jonathan Österman

Jan 5, 2024
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
You are not immortal. God alone is immortal. 1 Tim 6:15 which God will bring about in his own time—God, the blessed and only Ruler, the King of kings and Lord of lords, 16 who alone is immortal and who lives in unapproachable light, whom no one has seen or can see. To him be honor and might forever. Amen.
Amen.

No, I am not immortal, and I fear death every single day.

My dear sister Cassandra, would you like to also find
a quote from our Holy Bible regarding the following :

https://www.christianityboard.com/threads/why-god-sends-some-souls-to-be-born-in-india-in-traditional-hindu-or-buddhist-religious-families.60379

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Neither the existence of dinosaurs is taught in the Holy Bible.

Is the Flat Earth idea taught in the Holy Bible? :)

Is Copernicus' heliocentric astronomy taught in the Holy Bible?

Dear sister Rita, do you believe that whatever
is not taught in the Bible does not exist,
or is a satanic deception?

In principle, the nature of Interfaith Dialog allows us
the opportunity to challenge our own religious beliefs,
and therein lies the important value of it for World Peace.

Granted, not all Christians feel the pressing need
to challenge their religious beliefs, and that is very well and fine.

However, unfortunately, many of these same Christians
somehow do feel the pressing need to prevent other Christians
from doing so, and that is simply very wrong, because this is
precisely the kind of mentality that the Vatican authorities
had in their narrow dogmatic minds when forbidding
Galileo di Vincenzo Bonaiuti de Galilei from using
his much improved telescope and endorsing Copernican
heliocentrism that according to the infallible opinion
of the Holy Catholic Inquisition in 1615 was officially proclaimed
to be foolish, absurd, and heretical since it contradicted biblical creationism.

After several such heretics had been publicly burned
at the stake, the Vatican authorities no longer insist
that the Earth must be flat. :)
Hello my friend, to be honest, there is nothing that I am interested in, other than the word of God.

When I became Born Again of imperishable seed...i “ LIVE” God, morning ,noon and night.

I’m interested in no other...thank you for sharing though...God Bless You ..

Dr. Jonathan Österman

Jan 5, 2024
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
  • Love
Reactions: Ritajanice

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother’s womb, and be born?” the Lord Jesus reproved him, saying: “Art thou a master [teacher] of Israel, and knowest not these things?…If I have told you earthly things [about physical rebirth], and ye believe not, how shall ye believe, if I tell you of heavenly things [about the spiritual rebirth]?
A spiritual birth, being born again is NOT Reincarnation. We are born physically and with a soul, but a dead spirit. Soul and spirit are different t, yet all three, body, soul and spirit are I tricately woven together. The spiritual compartment is empty at birth. Let's say it is likened to a dead cell phone - so communication with God is not possible until he gives you a new one. All of a sudden you have reception.
Tobit: “Blessed be God that liveth for ever, and blessed be his kingdom. For he doth scourge, and hath mercy: he leadeth down to hell [hades], and bringeth up again: neither is there any that can avoid his hand.”24
I don't recognize Tobit as Canon. However, people go to Hades, then at the resurrection, they are cast into the Lake of Fire. No problem there - Not reincarnation.

For when you are born, you shall be born to a curse: and when you die, a curse shall be your portion. All that are of the earth shall return to the earth again: so the ungodly shall go from a curse to destruction.”25
This is just reiterating that the lost in Hades will be resurrected for the first al judgment, the Lake of Fire.
And, indeed, after each death we are judged to determine where we shall go in the astral world and when and where we shall return to earth in our next birth
No. Those who are given eternal life have past from death to Life. We only will he judged for our good deeds and given rewards.
If we are soon resurrected our new bodies will be multi-dimensional, capable of entering into and out of the physical ream. So could we come back to earth from heaven to dwell in the Millennial Kingdom? Yes.
As the Lord Jesus said, Elijah was born again as John the Baptist.
No.
Malachi 3:1 “The Lord says, ‘Behold, I am going to send my messenger and he’ll clear the way before me.’” The Lord is going to come, but before He comes, He’s going to send a messenger, a forerunner, a herald to clear the way.
Now, that messenger is further identified in Malachi 6:4-6 “Behold, I’m going to send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and terrible day of the Lord. He will restore the hearts of the fathers to their children and the hearts of their children to their fathers so that I will not come and smite the land with a curse.”
Yet, Isaiah 40:3-5 is a prophecy about John the Baptist coming to prepare rhe way and announce the Messiah.
John the Baptist announced Jesus (as the lamb, not King) - before His 1st Coming.
His Second Coming as King will be announced by Elijah
and Moses - before the great and terrible Day of the Lord (Great Tribulation).
But the disciples and Jews expected Elijah to come first, so there was confusion, they had not sorted out these prophecies. They would not understand until after Jesus death and resurrection that Jesus would come again.
The disciples just witnessed Jesus, Elijah and Moses in their spiritual state. So in essence, Elijah did come spiritually and will come again physically!
But John has come in the spirit (will, purpose, empowered by the Holy Spirit) to announce His 1st Coming.
Jesus knew they didn't get it , yet.

Sorry REINCARNATION IS A FALSE DOCTRINE.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

May a Christian Believe in Reincarnation?​

Full article: May a Christian Believe in Reincarnation?

Reincarnation-also known as the transmigration of souls-is not some exotic Eastern idea of non-Christian mysticism. In ancient orthodox Jewish and Christian writings, as well as the Holy Scriptures, we can find reincarnation as a fully developed belief, although today it is commonly ignored.

Belief Of The Apostles

The Apostles also believed in reincarnation, for: “As Jesus passed by, he saw a man which was blind from his birth. And his disciples asked him, saying, Master, who did sin, this man, or his parents, that he was born blind? Jesus answered, Neither hath this man sinned, nor his parents: but that the works of God should be made manifest in him.”20Jesus, the Light of the World, would certainly have rebuked the Apostles for wrong belief if reincarnation was not true. Although the man’s blindness was for the glory of God, the Lord said, “neither this man nor his parents sinned,” implying that the man had certainly existed-and been capable of sinning-before his birth in which he was blind.

Non-Belief in Reincarnation Rebuked By Jesus

When the Pharisee, Nicodemus, expressed his doubts as to a man being able to enter the womb and be born again, physically, saying: “How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother’s womb, and be born?” the Lord Jesus reproved him, saying: “Art thou a master [teacher] of Israel, and knowest not these things?…If I have told you earthly things [about physical rebirth], and ye believe not, how shall ye believe, if I tell you of heavenly things [about the spiritual rebirth]?”21 especially when every educated Jew was familiar with the already-cited words of Job: “Naked came I out of my mother’s womb, and naked shall I return thither.”22 Moreover, every Jew had heard these words of Moses scores of times: “Even from everlasting to everlasting, Thou art God. Thou turnest man to destruction; and sayest, Return, ye children of men….Thou carriest them away like a flood; they are as a sleep: in the morning they are like grass which groweth up [again]….in the evening it is [again] cut down.”23

This same idea was also to be found in the prayer of Tobit: “Blessed be God that liveth for ever, and blessed be his kingdom. For he doth scourge, and hath mercy: he leadeth down to hell [hades], and bringeth up again: neither is there any that can avoid his hand.”24

Also familiar would have been the direct reference to reincarnation in Ecclesiasticus: “Woe be unto you, ungodly men, which have forsaken the law of the most high God! For when you are born, you shall be born to a curse: and when you die, a curse shall be your portion. All that are of the earth shall return to the earth again: so the ungodly shall go from a curse to destruction.”25

God’s Law Behind Reincarnation

But why? Saint Paul tells us: “Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.26 In other words, if we lie, we shall be lied to; if we steal, we shall be stolen from; if we cheat, we shall be cheated; if we injure, we shall be injured; if we kill, we shall be killed. Is this law inexorable? In the verse from Numbers, previously quoted, it is flatly stated that the Lord by no means clears the guilty. This supports Saint Paul’s contention that “God is not mocked.”

This principle is not new to either of the Testaments, for when Noah had come forth from the Ark, God enunciated the law: “Surely your blood of your lives will I require; at the hand of every beast I will require it, and at the hand of man….Whoso sheddeth man’s blood, by man shall his blood be shed.”27 Notice that this is not a social law, such as those given to Moses. Noah is not being instructed to take the life of murderers; the Lord says, “I will require it.” Yet, how many murderers go undetected and unpunished? Think of the murderers that die natural deaths-even in prisons. Yet God, Who “is not mocked” has said that their life shall be taken by man. And this is in keeping with the next verse in Saint Paul’s Galatians exposition: “For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap”-that is, we shall reap in our bodies exactly what we sow in our bodies. And if we die before so doing? Rebirth is the law.

What about the objection that Saint Paul also wrote: “It is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment” (Hebrews 9:27)? Nothing, except Saint Paul’s meaning: “Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men” (Romans 5:12). Adam’s transgression pronounced the death sentence upon all humanity. And, indeed, after each death we are judged to determine where we shall go in the astral world and when and where we shall return to earth in our next birth. It is interesting that the twentieth-century stigmatic, Teresa Neuman, saw that after death the departed soul was judged by Christ right here, some passing onward with Christ and others remaining in in the earth’s astral atmosphere, obviously to await rebirth.

A Dramatic Example

Certainly from the above we get the idea! Yet I cannot resist giving one more Biblical instance-bridging both the Old and the New Testaments-of how the human drama can be played out over the “acts” of several births on the stage of this world. (This example, by the way, was pointed out to me by Bess Hibarger, a Presbyterian Sunday School teacher of long standing and great popularity, who at least once a year devoted one Sunday to the subject of reincarnation.)

Ahab, the king of Israel, married Jezebel, who was a Gentile and an idolater. For these reasons, Elijah the prophet came to Ahab and challenged him, demanding that he rid himself of Jezebel. As could be expected, Jezebel decided that either Elijah or she had to go-and she preferred that it be Elijah. Though she had squadrons of soldiers searching for the prophet to kill him, he managed to elude them, and departed from this world still in hiding. Later, Jezebel died, but with the desire for the death of Elijah burning in her heart. Thus was the sowing; then came the reaping.

As the Lord Jesus said, Elijah was born again as John the Baptist. Ahab was reborn as Herod, and Jezebel as Herodias, the wife of Herod’s brother. Herod broke the Law by marrying Herodias illegally, thus committing the double crime of adultery and incest. Just as in the previous lifetime, John came to Herod and demanded that he get rid of Herodias. Herod had respect for John, and so tried to simply ignore him. Finally, at the insistence of Herodias he imprisoned John, and ultimately Herodias got John’s head on a platter, fulfilling her desire of centuries.

Further Reading on Reincarnation:

I don't believe reincarnation occurs.

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So, what you are saying is that the reason why God sends some souls to be born in India, in traditional Hindu or Buddhist religious families is because God is not willing that any should perish. :)

And this is why God leaves the 99 and sends His son to find that one sheep that is lost. It has nothing to do with the work of some missionary, but the work of the Shepherd. His sheep (no matter what pasture they might be in) hear his voice and follow.

When you restate what I am saying-- rather than saying -- "So what you are saying is...." and then saying something different than what I actually said...... How about just use the quote feature and leave my words as I wrote them?

By restating, you are misstating. And likely on purpose. Don't.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When you restate what I am saying-- rather than saying -- "So what you are saying is...." and then saying something different than what I actually said...... How about just use the quote feature and leave my words as I wrote them?

By restating, you are misstating. And likely on purpose. Don't.
When someone reveals themself, believe it.

This poster is pushing reincarnation, clearly unscriptural, and is dishonestly misrepresenting you.

Will something good happen if this continues?

Much love!

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel

May a Christian Believe in Reincarnation?​

A "CHRISTian" has freewill.
So, they "may believe" in whatever they want to believe, no matter how crazy is the subject/belief.

"Reincarnation" is one more man made false concept, right along with soul sleep, purgatory, Calvinism, Scientology, perpetual Virgin Mary, and the Loch Ness Monster.

So, if they are dumb enough to believe it, then some liar is happy to sell it to them.

It's sad that a lot of believer's BUY what the devil sells, using His hand puppets, but... it is what it is.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
hello,

I use to think in the availability in reincarnation. But not in a physical sense, I use to desire to ask God to come back and see all the stars and the planets and travel to see it by and through spiritual ways. However now today, it wouldn’t matter if I was able to do so or not now. Just being able to go and maybe go into the kingdom of God, would be just fine.

PossibleThrowawayAccount

Oct 1, 2022
Pittsburgh, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If reincarnation were a Christian belief the Bible would have bluntly told us so. The main problem with reincarnation is the the belief in karma in which someone has to suffer for sins they committed in a past life— as a person or thing that they no longer are. If reincarnation was real then there would really be no point in Jesus coming to save us because we would eventually reincarnate into a holy form, or keep being reborn until God brings a new earth.

The Bible bluntly says that people only have one life:

And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment (Hebrews 9:27)
Although the man’s blindness was for the glory of God, the Lord said, “neither this man nor his parents sinned,” implying that the man had certainly existed-and been capable of sinning-before his birth in which he was blind.
What Jesus is saying here is that the man was blind so that he (Jesus) could heal him as a way of showing God's love and what He can/will do. Remember, Jesus said that the man did not sin AT ALL. If it were otherwise so, Jesus would have said that the man sinned in his previous life. Jesus was never afraid of saying something unpopular.

When the Pharisee, Nicodemus, expressed his doubts as to a man being able to enter the womb and be born again, physically, saying: “How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother’s womb, and be born?” the Lord Jesus reproved him, saying: “Art thou a master [teacher] of Israel, and knowest not these things?…If I have told you earthly things [about physical rebirth], and ye believe not, how shall ye believe, if I tell you of heavenly things [about the spiritual rebirth]?”21 especially when every educated Jew was familiar with the already-cited words of Job: “Naked came I out of my mother’s womb, and naked shall I return thither.”22 Moreover, every Jew had heard these words of Moses scores of times: “Even from everlasting to everlasting, Thou art God. Thou turnest man to destruction; and sayest, Return, ye children of men….Thou carriest them away like a flood; they are as a sleep: in the morning they are like grass which groweth up [again]….in the evening it is [again] cut down.”23
None of these things have anything to do with reincarnation. At least from what I can see.

Saint Paul tells us: “Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.26 In other words, if we lie, we shall be lied to; if we steal, we shall be stolen from; if we cheat, we shall be cheated; if we injure, we shall be injured; if we kill, we shall be killed.
In a way that sounds like karma, but has nothing to do with reincarnation. Unless you automatically equate karma with reincarnation.

Elijah was born again as John the Baptist.
How is that possible when Elijah didn't die? He was carried to Heaven in a chariot of fire. Furthermore, he and Moses appeared to Jesus (Matthew 17). It would be confusing for these people to be reincarnated then suddenly reappear in what is essentially a new form.

Ahab was reborn as Herod, and Jezebel as Herodias, the wife of Herod’s brother. Herod broke the Law by marrying Herodias illegally, thus committing the double crime of adultery and incest. Just as in the previous lifetime, John came to Herod and demanded that he get rid of Herodias. Herod had respect for John, and so tried to simply ignore him. Finally, at the insistence of Herodias he imprisoned John, and ultimately Herodias got John’s head on a platter, fulfilling her desire of centuries.
The only thing linking these people together is that they are people in the Bible and that they have similar sins. Might as well say Moses was a reincarnation of Adam because they both disobeyed God. If similar sins are enough to connect people, why confine them to Biblical figures?

Reactions: friend of