Meditation, is it associated with the devil?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

FollowChrist

Dec 21, 2007
I find that I receive many benefits from the practice of meditation, but some Christians condemn it or claim that it's part of satan's plan to deceive, i.e by quieting the mind and allowing the potential for negative spirits to enter us? Does anyone here meditate? If not, what do you think is so bad about it? If so what benefits do you receive? My thoughts are clearer and less negative, and I'm more relaxed and less stressed. I also practice yoga but hate the guilt I carry around with me at times, I don't practice in the form of a religious practice like focusing on "union with God", I do it for increased flexibility and calmness and it also enhances and improves my workout performance(aerobics/weight training).

Faithful

Jul 13, 2007
If we have the peace and Joy of the Lord in us, why would we need to meditate? I find Christ is our peace he is the one who helps me find peace through the Father giving us hope.The idea is to remain in the Spirit at all times.Faithful.
smile.gif

FollowChrist

Dec 21, 2007
(Faithful;28573)
If we have the peace and Joy of the Lord in us, why would we need to meditate? I find Christ is our peace he is the one who helps me find peace through the Father giving us hope.The idea is to remain in the Spirit at all times.Faithful.
smile.gif

Makes sense, I'm working on it, thank you for the response.
smile.gif

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
God says to be quite in prayer I think this could be called meditation I personally see nothing wrong with the practice of quiteing ones mind. I think most all deep prayer happens when we quite and clear our minds of the busy world. You might say a prayer first and meditate on the wisdom of God.

FollowChrist

Dec 21, 2007
(kriss;28575)
God says to be quite in prayer I think this could be called meditation I personally see nothing wrong with the practice of quiteing ones mind. I think most all deep prayer happens when we quite and clear our minds of the busy world. You might say a prayer first and meditate on the wisdom of God.
Actualy that is what I do, I say a prayer first and then begin my meditation, I listen to harmonic bells and completely free my mind of any thoughts, I even focus on the cross at times(just as an illustration) but if a thought happens to enter, I imagine it leaving like going away in a big bubble and then hope it clears again(the thought in my mind).
smile.gif

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
In fact this puts me in mind of a verseMat 6:6 But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly. Now this does not mean we are to go into a closet to pray but rather if you go into a quite hidden place and pray silently keeping it secret that God still hears you so if one is meditating quitely on God he will hear you

FollowChrist

Dec 21, 2007
(kriss;28577)
In fact this puts me in mind of a verseMat 6:6 But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly. Now this does not mean we are to go into a closet to pray but rather if you go into a quite hidden place and pray silently keeping it secret that God still hears you so if one is meditating quitely on God he will hear you
What about just praying first and then totally clearing your mind of all thoughts without praying during the process of meditating(I usually do it for about 20-30 minutes)? Does the Lord condemn that?

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
(FollowChrist;28578)
What about just praying first and then totally clearing your mind of all thoughts without praying during the process of meditating(I usually do it for about 20-30 minutes)? Does the Lord condemn that?
I think that perfectly fine to set your mind toward God with a prayer then empty your mind of worldly thoughts. Sometimes we might even learn a truth by listening rather than asking. I see nothing wrong with it reguardless. If you are able to function more clearly in your daily life and not let the stress of life pull your emotional state into negative places(anger,frustration ect.)I think God would prefer you meditate and stay on a more even path.

FollowChrist

Dec 21, 2007
(kriss;28580)
I think that perfectly fine to set your mind toward God with a prayer then empty your mind of worldly thoughts. Sometimes we might even learn a truth by listening rather than asking. I see nothing wrong with it reguardless. If you are able to function more clearly in your daily life and not let the stress of life pull your emotional state into negative places(anger,frustration ect.)I think God would prefer you meditate and stay on a more even path.
Thank you, wonderful answer.:music:

Faithful

Jul 13, 2007
(kriss;28580)
The problem is it takes you away from trusting in God to keep his promise to provide all your needs inclusing the strength to get through the day.True Joy and peace in the Lord does not excuse us the trouble in the worlds but it keeps us in perfect peace who have their mind fixed on God and his word. Christ went off to be alone with God and pray, not to meditate.God tells us to meditate night and day on the word. If your mind is being emptied then your not studying the word and receiving what you really need to get through the day. Man shall not live by bread alone but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God. Meditation of emptying our mind is not meditating on the word.If we believe and know God, do we need anything else?1 John 2:27. If we have the anointing we have all we need to know all things.Meditation comes down from false religions different ways which lead away from truth. It Gods peace which passes understanding which keeps our hearts and minds safe in Christ Jesus. It is better to pray and believe you will receive this peace than look for other ways outside Christ.Faithful.

FollowChrist

Dec 21, 2007
Faithfull, there are many many benefits associated with meditation...there is always time for prayerandmeditation.
smile.gif
What benefits I read on meditation is astounding...It lowers oxygen consumption. It decreases respiratory rate. It increases blood flow and slows the heart rate. Increases exercise tolerance in heart patients. Leads to a deeper level of relaxation. Good for people with high blood pressure as it brings the B.P. to normal. Reduces anxiety attacks by lowering the levels of blood lactate. Decreases muscle tension (any pain due to tension) and headaches. Builds self-confidence. It increases serotonin production which influences mood and behaviour. Low levels of serotonin are associated with depression, obesity, insomnia and headaches. Helps in chronic diseases like allergies , arthritis etc. Reduces Pre- menstrual Syndrome. Helps in post-operative healing. Enhances the immune system. Research has revealed that meditation increases activity of 'natural-killer cells', which kill bacteria and cancer cells. Also reduces activity of viruses and emotional distress.Although I do understand what your saying faithful, that's why this is sort of a dilemma of mine.

followerofchrist

Nov 22, 2007
well I don't see anything wrong with those side effects.And I think both Kriss and Faithful have good points. God is really all we need to get through the day, but I'm sure sitting down in a quite place and just relaxing helps too. So I would just go find my quite place, sit down, and pray! Best of both :pray4:I'm sure that after sitting alone and talking with God you will feel just as good if not better than after sitting alone and...well sitting
tongue.gif

Faithful

Jul 13, 2007
(FollowChrist;28585)
Faithfull, there are many many benefits associated with meditation...there is always time for prayerandmeditation.
smile.gif
What benefits I read on meditation is astounding...It lowers oxygen consumption. It decreases respiratory rate. It increases blood flow and slows the heart rate. Increases exercise tolerance in heart patients. Leads to a deeper level of relaxation. Good for people with high blood pressure as it brings the B.P. to normal. Reduces anxiety attacks by lowering the levels of blood lactate. Decreases muscle tension (any pain due to tension) and headaches. Builds self-confidence. It increases serotonin production which influences mood and behaviour. Low levels of serotonin are associated with depression, obesity, insomnia and headaches. Helps in chronic diseases like allergies , arthritis etc. Reduces Pre- menstrual Syndrome. Helps in post-operative healing. Enhances the immune system. Research has revealed that meditation increases activity of 'natural-killer cells', which kill bacteria and cancer cells. Also reduces activity of viruses and emotional distress.Although I do understand what your saying faithful, that's why this is sort of a dilemma of mine.
Psalm 103. I am the God who forgives all your iniquities and heals all your diseases. So which of the above does he need meditation to do?Zechariah 4:6 (King James Version) 6.Then he answered and spake unto me, saying, This is the word of the LORD unto Zerubbabel, saying, Not by might, nor by power, but by my spirit, saith the LORD of hosts.Do you trust God for your health or meditation? The world needs meditation because they do not have the true life, Jesus Christ.
smile.gif

FollowChrist

Dec 21, 2007
(Faithful;28593)
Psalm 103. I am the God who forgives all your iniquities and heals all your diseases. So which of the above does he need meditation to do?Zechariah 4:6 (King James Version) 6.Then he answered and spake unto me, saying, This is the word of the LORD unto Zerubbabel, saying, Not by might, nor by power, but by my spirit, saith the LORD of hosts.Do you trust God for your health or meditation? The world needs meditation because they do not have the true life, Jesus Christ.
smile.gif

What about both, hehehe:D
tongue.gif
?

FollowChrist

Dec 21, 2007
(Faithful;28593)
Do you trust God for your health or meditation? The world needs meditation because they do not have the true life, Jesus Christ.
smile.gif

What about both?
biggrin.gif
:pI believe God gave us a brain and WE have the capacity to heal ourselves, some people have actually healed themsleves from disease etc, just through meditation and using thier own mind. However, I believe God gave us this ability, and sometimes it IS him who heals alone for those who pray, it's like a two way street, I'm basing this from my own research....there are so many different situations.

Faithful

Jul 13, 2007
(FollowChrist;28599)
What about both?
biggrin.gif
:p
Without faith we cannot please God, does meditation for the list of things you have listed show faith in God to keep you in the world or faith in the things of man?
smile.gif

FollowChrist

Dec 21, 2007
(Faithful;28601)
Without faith we cannot please God, does meditation for the list of things you have listed show faith in God to keep you in the world or faith in the things of man?
smile.gif

I do have faith in God and I also believe that he gave us the capability to heal ourselves, AND I also believe he is a healing God....like I said, it goes both ways according to the research I've done on the topic of mind/healling abilities(maybe it's the mind and God simutanously, but some people healed themselves just through meditation alone)...according to the documented cases I've read.
smile.gif

FollowChrist

Dec 21, 2007
(followerofchrist;28600)
My post was obviously ignored hahaha
I wasn't finished with my post yet, I have a tendency to make additions to my post quite often
tongue.gif

Faithful

Jul 13, 2007
(FollowChrist;28602)
I do have faith in God and I also believe that he gave us the capability to heal ourselves, AND I also believe he is a healing God....like I said, it goes both ways according to the research I've done on the topic of mind/healling abilities(maybe it's the mind and God simutanously, but some people healed themselves just through meditation alone)...according to the documented cases I've read.
smile.gif

Your mistaking healing as proof of knowing God and Jesus.Jesus says to those who have healed the sick and done miracles in his name, " Go away I never knew you." The power a believer requires is the Spirit in their lives. The 10 virgins awaiting Christ but only five kept their Lamps tended by living according to the Spirit.One way only to God, Jesus Christ. The healings in themselves do not mean that the person knows God. I have come that you might have life, life in all it's fullness. Isaiah 53:5 (King James Version) 5.But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed. He will keep in perfect peace he whos mind is stayed on thee. How can you keep your mind stayed on God if your always emptying it?