Mental illness and Spirituality...

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Being paranoid and being careful...
The two overlap. There is no clear line between them because it's subjective...

For example, I'm told that I'm paranoid of going back to prison. It's the main reason I moved state. But for me, I'm being careful. If I go to court in that state again then I'll go straight to jail again.

People say, well don't commit a crime... I didn't.
I was imprisoned for a driving offence and can be locked up for even less next time.

Am I being paranoid? Not in my eyes. I'm being careful. I'll do anything to avoid going to prison again.

Another example are these vaccines. Some people are calling us paranoid...
No it's not. It's being careful

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is hard to find a good, honest doctor.

So u have audio and visual hallucinations if u don't take the meds... That is a symptom of psychosis...

But hallucinations really interest me.
What causes them?
Is there a spiritual side to hallucinations?

I only had two hallucinations while on the meds and they both had me running out of my room screaming with fear...
What did i just witness?
Was it real?
Was it a sign from God?

Our minds are just as mysterious as the universe...
Even dreams can't be properly explained by doctors...
What is that part or minds that doesn't sleep?
Is it our spirit or soul?

Thanks for sharing that. It can be daunting to share, I rarely do.
Can u share your most frightening or lovely hallucination pls...

I'll go first... My hallucinations are medically known as sleep hallucinations and are a parasomnia. It's related to sleep paralysis, which is the worse type of parasomnia as you hallucinate while you can't move your body. A frightening thought. It's not a dream, it happens when we're awake, we're conscious.

So as I was dozing off to sleep I see this blue neon light, dancing in the mid air. I jumped out of bed and ran out screaming... I thought I'd seen a spirit...

These aren't smokey or ghostly kind of hallucinations... They were vivid. As clear as u can see...

How about you? What do u see and/or hear that makes you wonder or frightens u... Please tell
The only hallucination that I remember I had was seeing people in camouflage climbing my trees and spying on me. I tried out lucid dreaming once and saw Satan.

Reactions: Cristo Rei

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The only hallucination that I remember I had was seeing people in camouflage climbing my trees and spying on me. I tried out lucid dreaming once and saw Satan.

Ok so your hallucinations weren't bad then.

You "tried" lucid dreaming... Im not sure how you try it...
A lucid dream is just one where you realize you are dreaming... Iv had a few

Reactions: dev553344

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
@devin553344

Have you heard of exploding head syndrome?
Its another parasomnia.
Its when you get woken up by a very loud bang. Sometimes it might be someone calling your name or you might feel a push as well.
Iv had that occur a few times

Sleep paralysis sounds like it would be the worse parasomnia... Your body goes into a paralysis when we sleep so that we dont go walking around and acting out the dream...
With sleep paralysis, your fully awake but cannot move, your paralysed, body is still asleep.. Some people experience hallucinations on top if that as well... Demonic ones...

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ok so your hallucinations weren't bad then.

You "tried" lucid dreaming... Im not sure how you try it...
A lucid dream is just one where you realize you are dreaming... Iv had a few
There was a tutorial in popular science mag on how to initiate a lucid dream and take control of your dream so that you became conscious while you are sleeping. You were supposed to be able to do anything while in the dream. Anyways, the only thing it did for me was that I saw Satan and I flew out of the dungeon I found myself in. Satan grabbed the back of my neck and I woke up with my neck shaking. Since that time as a youth, I've had repeated subconscious shock episodes where I wake up and my neck is shaking painfully. It was a terrible experience.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@devin553344

Have you heard of exploding head syndrome?
Its another parasomnia.
Its when you get woken up by a very loud bang. Sometimes it might be someone calling your name or you might feel a push as well.
Iv had that occur a few times

Sleep paralysis sounds like it would be the worse parasomnia... Your body goes into a paralysis when we sleep so that we dont go walking around and acting out the dream...
With sleep paralysis, your fully awake but cannot move, your paralysed, body is still asleep.. Some people experience hallucinations on top if that as well... Demonic ones...
I've had sleep paralysis and exploding head syndrome. I was walking up the hill from my house when suddenly a massive explosion went off near the side of my head. It was like a spiritual explosion that I could hear physically.

Sleep paralysis is easily explained as a partly subconscious and partly conscious mode of awareness. Nothing spiritual about it that I can discern.

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
There was a tutorial in popular science mag on how to initiate a lucid dream and take control of your dream so that you became conscious while you are sleeping. You were supposed to be able to do anything while in the dream. Anyways, the only thing it did for me was that I saw Satan and I flew out of the dungeon I found myself in. Satan grabbed the back of my neck and I woke up with my neck shaking. Since that time as a youth, I've had repeated subconscious shock episodes where I wake up and my neck is shaking painfully. It was a terrible experience.

Hmm... Now thats terrifying... Its like messing with the dark arts...
The evil one was there but God is on your side, thats why u were able to snap out of it probs

With mine i remember getting on my knees and gorilla punching the ground, yelling "WAKE UP" until i did. Must of been a bad dream

Sleep paralysis is easily explained as a partly subconscious and partly conscious mode of awareness. Nothing spiritual about it that I can discern.

Na, its a hallucination that happens when your awake. It can be spiritual. It all depends what u see. If you have demons flying around in your face and you can't move that is horrifying. Or you might have a vision of Christ. Thats spiritual for sure...

I don't think any of this can be easily explained
I believe any hallucination or dream can be spiritual and there are states of consciousness which we don't know about or cannot master in this world

@Cristo Rei my neurologist said exploding head syndrome is common.

True. Its good that u have a neurologist as well... Have u had brain scans?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So the question I have is this, if you suffer from a mental illness, what do you do to cope with the true and false manifestations you encounter?

I'm sorry you have schizophrenia, and I'm really glad that meds keep the hallucinations from occurring.

I have clinical depression which expresses in anxiety and hopelessness, as well as a myriad of physical symptoms primarily related to pain and leaden limbs/lethargy. It can range from non-existent or mild, to debilitatatingly severe, becoming nearly unable to think or move. I haven't had an extreme episode like that lasting more than a few days for a while now, thankfully!

For me, my version of hallucination is the feeling inside that something is horribly terribly wrong, that there is an impending calamity about to destroy my life and my world. And there is nothing I can do, only be destroyed. Or my wife. These thoughts and feelings attach to her also. This either comes up on it's own, or I'm triggered, and down spiral amazingly fast!

These are unattached feelings which find something to attach to. I can have anxiety/? over this thing, and settle it in my mind, only to find that it attaches to something else right away.

I've learned what sort of thoughts are and are not of the new creation. Fear is not of the Spirit, hopelessness is not of the Spirit, these are produced by flesh.

The Spirit produces Joy and peace, hope and love. So when the flesh is producing these feelings - physiologically based, chemically - I recognize that's what it is, feelings from the corrupt flesh. And I remind myself that God loves me, is loving me, He is in control, and He loves me. Oh, and I remind myself, that whatever happens in my life, even should it be this horrible horrible thing, that He is in control of everything, and, most importantly of all, He loves me.

I separate flesh from spirit, and realize that my flesh has been corrupted by sin and misuse, and that it will feel like it feels, and I may experience some of that. But regardless, I am the new creation, what is born of Spirit is spirit. I am spirit, not bound by the corruption in my flesh. Fear is not of faith, hopelessness is not of faith, they are not the new man. Just lies the flesh tells.

The physical parts, weakness and all, life goes on, and I have to get things done, so I trust that I can serve in the strength God gives, and it all seems to work out. But I have to really choose to trust, because my feelings are all over the map.

Much love!

Reactions: Azim and dev553344

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Brother, you don’t have to have mental illness to suffer in the struggle to discern the Spirit world.
However, there are struggles involved having a mental illness that aren't shared by those who don't have it.

My mental illness is a powerhouse of negative thought and emotion, it's hard to feel like I can describe the sheer force driving these thoughts and emotions, and how I'm perceiving things that are happening.

Much love!

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
However, there are struggles involved having a mental illness that aren't shared by those who don't have it.

My mental illness is a powerhouse of negative thought and emotion, it's hard to feel like I can describe the sheer force driving these thoughts and emotions, and how I'm perceiving things that are happening.

Much love!

Yes, different obstacles. Better to be a believer with mental illness than not a believer under any conditions.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm sorry you have schizophrenia, and I'm really glad that meds keep the hallucinations from occurring.

I have clinical depression which expresses in anxiety and hopelessness, as well as a myriad of physical symptoms primarily related to pain and leaden limbs/lethargy. It can range from non-existent or mild, to debilitatatingly severe, becoming nearly unable to think or move. I haven't had an extreme episode like that lasting more than a few days for a while now, thankfully!

For me, my version of hallucination is the feeling inside that something is horribly terribly wrong, that there is an impending calamity about to destroy my life and my world. And there is nothing I can do, only be destroyed. Or my wife. These thoughts and feelings attach to her also. This either comes up on it's own, or I'm triggered, and down spiral amazingly fast!

These are unattached feelings which find something to attach to. I can have anxiety/? over this thing, and settle it in my mind, only to find that it attaches to something else right away.

I've learned what sort of thoughts are and are not of the new creation. Fear is not of the Spirit, hopelessness is not of the Spirit, these are produced by flesh.

The Spirit produces Joy and peace, hope and love. So when the flesh is producing these feelings - physiologically based, chemically - I recognize that's what it is, feelings from the corrupt flesh. And I remind myself that God loves me, is loving me, He is in control, and He loves me. Oh, and I remind myself, that whatever happens in my life, even should it be this horrible horrible thing, that He is in control of everything, and, most importantly of all, He loves me.

I separate flesh from spirit, and realize that my flesh has been corrupted by sin and misuse, and that it will feel like it feels, and I may experience some of that. But regardless, I am the new creation, what is born of Spirit is spirit. I am spirit, not bound by the corruption in my flesh. Fear is not of faith, hopelessness is not of faith, they are not the new man. Just lies the flesh tells.

The physical parts, weakness and all, life goes on, and I have to get things done, so I trust that I can serve in the strength God gives, and it all seems to work out. But I have to really choose to trust, because my feelings are all over the map.

Much love!

Before I suffered from schizophrenia I suffered from anxiety and panic attacks and depression. I still have those anxieties that something terrible is going to happen. I'm learning to just trust the Lord. Thanks for your testimony. It's nice to know there are others that suffer from what I go thru. That I'm not alone.

Reactions: marks

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, different obstacles. Better to be a believer with mental illness than not a believer under any conditions.
And another thing . . . let's say I label myself with mental illness and someone else doesn't. It doesn't mean that one or the other has it any easier or harder, we all deal with things in our lives, and I think we have a full range of experience, and whatever God deems right for our lives.

One life does not compare to another, we are all unique, and all perceive our own lives in our own unique ways. Struggle is an equal opportunity antagonist!

Much love!

Reactions: Azim

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
And another thing . . . let's say I label myself with mental illness and someone else doesn't. It doesn't mean that one or the other has it any easier or harder, we all deal with things in our lives, and I think we have a full range of experience, and whatever God deems right for our lives.

One life does not compare to another, we are all unique, and all perceive our own lives in our own unique ways. Struggle is an equal opportunity antagonist!

Much love!
Sir Isaac Newton and Albert Einstein both had so-called mental breakdowns. It seems mental equilibrium is affected by too much of one thing and not enough of another.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sir Isaac Newton and Albert Einstein both had so-called mental breakdowns. It seems mental equilibrium is affected by too much of one thing and not enough of another.
Not that I'm an expert or anything, but I've done a lot of reading up on mental illness, brain chemisty and biology, that sort of thing. I'm amazed at the interconnectedness of our minds and bodies. So much that affects so much!

Much love!

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is rough.

I want to contribute my story of mental illness. But I honestly hate bringing it up on forums like this because not everyone has earned or is trustworthy with that information.

Ive had people accuse me of having mental illness because they didn't agree with my theology, as if my beliefs had caused it.

Anyway, just know you're not alone. Im glad you are willing to share and am somewhat sorry that I am not.

People have just used it against me in the past so I have learned not to give them the info for their ammunition.

Reactions: lforrest and marks

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Not that I'm an expert or anything, but I've done a lot of reading up on mental illness, brain chemisty and biology, that sort of thing. I'm amazed at the interconnectedness of our minds and bodies. So much that affects so much!

Much love!
Yes, if you have read much on this subject you will know some terms and categories apply. Newton and Einstein both had "acute" psychoses brought on by brief escalations in stress, from which they readily recovered. A "chronic" sufferer of psychoses has long periods and multiple episodes of dysfunction. My late younger brother was in the latter category.

HeartNSoul19

Jul 6, 2021
Washington DC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mental illness is often understated in our society... we have spent much time, effort, and energy into developing ways to deal with physical ailments, but relative to the body, we have overall fallen way short when it comes to taking care of the mind. Glad to read discussions like this taking place. More power to you all.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is rough.

I want to contribute my story of mental illness. But I honestly hate bringing it up on forums like this because not everyone has earned or is trustworthy with that information.

Ive had people accuse me of having mental illness because they didn't agree with my theology, as if my beliefs had caused it.

Anyway, just know you're not alone. Im glad you are willing to share and am somewhat sorry that I am not.

People have just used it against me in the past so I have learned not to give them the info for their ammunition.

Ditto!

On the sharing, and in being accused! People can be mean! Even on Christian forums! What do you know?

But what I've learned in having mental illness has helped me immeasurably towards understanding how our walking in faith works.

You could even call the "mind of the flesh" the ultimate mental illness.

I've had to learn how to live with major depression, and all that it brings, and still have an abundant Christian life. All those lessons transfer directly to sin in the flesh.

Much love!