Mental illness and Spirituality...

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I noticed some paranoia on this forum and I wanted to start a thread for those of us that suffer from mental illness and have a lot of spiritual interaction that is sometimes true and sometimes false.

I personally have a mild case of schizophrenia and take medication for it so it's mostly under control. I also talk to God daily and he is always with me, and perhaps that's because I suffer from a mental illness. And he sees that I need a lot of attention. I also have interaction from Satan. And sometimes I just suffer from hallucinations that appear to be God or the devil.

So the question I have is this, if you suffer from a mental illness, what do you do to cope with the true and false manifestations you encounter?

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'll start: As a rule, I try not to form opinions or beliefs from spiritual (good or evil) messages that come in. That could lead to paranoia. And when I am given a prediction I require proof, so if it is not proven ahead of time I wait until it comes true before telling people.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Brother, you don’t have to have mental illness to suffer in the struggle to discern the Spirit world.
So it's not just me? Interesting. The medication I take may have allowed me to understand that somewhat. Without the medication it's impossible for me to see truth from lies. And I get lost without it.

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I noticed some paranoia on this forum and I wanted to start a thread for those of us that suffer from mental illness and have a lot of spiritual interaction that is sometimes true and sometimes false.

I personally have a mild case of schizophrenia and take medication for it so it's mostly under control. I also talk to God daily and he is always with me, and perhaps that's because I suffer from a mental illness. And he sees that I need a lot of attention. I also have interaction from Satan. And sometimes I just suffer from hallucinations that appear to be God or the devil.

So the question I have is this, if you suffer from a mental illness, what do you do to cope with the true and false manifestations you encounter?
Hi devin.
A lady with a very young daughter started attending a fellowship I was attached to, and I noticed she looked washed out and nervous so I befriended her and she said she was a diagnosed paranoid schizophrenic and on high doses of antipsychotic medication.

Within minutes of fellowshipping with her whilst on nursery duty aside from the main service she began to complain that help from the various congregations she had visited was either limited or non-existent. My ministry training kicked in and for many months I worked with her and encouraged others to get involved. One recurring issue was her paranoia which manifested in the belief that her neighbour was practising witchcraft against her and was able to listen to every thought she had. There was a lot of satanic activity in this person's life which included serious childhood trauma, a common cause of schizophrenia.

With a "care team" around her this lady grew spiritually and was able to achieve stability by standing on the solid foundation of God's Word, and using her spiritual armour against the elements of corruption, deception. and exploitation which the principalities, powers. rulers of world darkness, and spirits of wickedness use against whomever they can.

Unforgiveness and bitterness seem to incubate mental illness, so it was essential to this lady's recovery that she forgave the people in her life and family that had hurt and traumatised her.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So it's not just me? Interesting. The medication I take may have allowed me to understand that somewhat. Without the medication it's impossible for me to see truth from lies. And I get lost without it.

A hallmark of sanity is, paradoxically, questioning your sanity. Those that don’t tend to be over-confident, which is irrational, the shadow of insanity.

Self-aggrandizement is the most common form of mental illness. Most can talk about the flaws of others at great length. When it comes to their own flaws - crickets - and you are a poopy head for even suggesting it!

At least you KNOW you have a problem you need to be careful about.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi devin.
A lady with a very young daughter started attending a fellowship I was attached to, and I noticed she looked washed out and nervous so I befriended her and she said she was a diagnosed paranoid schizophrenic and on high doses of antipsychotic medication.

Within minutes of fellowshipping with her whilst on nursery duty aside from the main service she began to complain that help from the various congregations she had visited was either limited or non-existent. My ministry training kicked in and for many months I worked with her and encouraged others to get involved. One recurring issue was her paranoia which manifested in the belief that her neighbour was practising witchcraft against her and was able to listen to every thought she had. There was a lot of satanic activity in this person's life which included serious childhood trauma, a common cause of schizophrenia.

With a "care team" around her this lady grew spiritually and was able to achieve stability by standing on the solid foundation of God's Word, and using her spiritual armour against the elements of corruption, deception. and exploitation which the principalities, powers. rulers of world darkness, and spirits of wickedness use against whomever they can.

Unforgiveness and bitterness seem to incubate mental illness, so it was essential to this lady's recovery that she forgave the people in her life and family that had hurt and traumatised her.

That appears to be a special case of mental illness. Mental illness is a physical disease of the mind that the mind is lacking certain chemical interactions. It normally manifest in adolescence (early to mid 20's). It always requires medication. People should never suggest that schizophrenics stop their medication. That can lead to a psychotic episode and risk serious imprisonment by law enforcement. It can literally ruin someones life.

For instance, I have never suffered childhood trauma really except a few near death experiences, and have forgiven everyone, and will always suffer from schizophrenia and therefore require medication.

Reactions: Nancy

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The Holy Spirit is the Spirit of Truth. Pray and ask for Jesus to keep giving you that Truth.

Reactions: dev553344

Berserk

Apr 13, 2019
Colville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
David was a diabetic with a severe case of schizophrenia. Attending church just triggered his paranoia. So I befriended him and visited with him during his dialysis treatments in town. He loved the Psalms, but unfortunately believed that he himself was King David, his namesake. I eventually cured him of this delusion, only to regret that "success" later because it was replaced by a far more destructive delusion--his new conviction that he was Satan! No reassurance I could offer could alter Dave's regular confirmation of that delusion by the constant accusatory voices he experienced. Yet David was a deeply spiritual soul; so it was very hard on my faith to see so little progress through prayer or encouraging him to meditate on positive biblical principles. His condition seemed to worsen when well-meaning evangelicals tried to "deliver him" by binding his demonic spirit!
His Jewish psychiatrist tried to get David to abandon his faith in Christ and the Bible on the grounds that his Christian faith was a toxic part of the problem. In a sense it was, but I could not support this pressure to get David to abandon his fragile faith.

David's meds, combined with his diabetes, eventually took his life, leaving me to agonize over the question, "Where might I have gone wrong in my efforts to befriend and minister to him?" Why did my prayers and David's go unanswered? That precious friendship is one of the most emotionally searing experiences of my otherwise very positive life.

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Berserk Maybe you weren't dealing with demonic issues within David, but something altogether different. Demons have to obey when a believer uses their authority in Jesus Christ to cast them out. But no amount of "casting out" or "binding" of David's "demons" worked.... quite possibly, because you were dealing with parts of his humanity (as in alter personalities) who were believing lies taught them via childhood trauma. Just a curious observation. I know many who have been misdiagnosed "schizophrenic" or "bipolar" who never gained progress until a correct diagnosis of DID (which is not a mental illness at all and is not to be treated with drugs).

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
And sometimes I just suffer from hallucinations that appear to be God or the devil.

Hi Devin... Visual hallucinations are frightening... Did u have them before taking medication?

I'll tell you what happened to me...
I was diagnosed with depression though I believe it was a misdiagnosis. They just ask you a bunch of questions and if you've just experienced a tragic life event they will misdiagnose you. Your not human if you've never been depressed or anxious... And it doesn't mean your ill if your feeling that way.

Anyway they put me on this stuff known as Zoloft in America... Long story short, it brought on sleep hallucinations. As I was waking up or falling asleep... These aren't lucid dreams, their hallucinations that happen when your awake...

When I looked into the potential side effects of zoloft I found not only hallucinations but all kinds of things like worse depression, a new mental disorder, suicide and death...

I was extremely displeased with the doctor for misdiagnosing me and for prescribing such drugs without first giving me any warning... I never hallucinated since...

Zoloft works but blocking seretonin. But that's how LSD works in producing hallucinations...

They'll say u have a chemical disorder when they really have no idea. U can't measure serotinin or dopamine or oxytocin or any of these chemicals in us...

And there is much more to it than just those chemicals... Neurons and receptors are a big thing too but they dont even look at that...
Did u ever get a brain scan Devin? I never did. That shows a lot about your neurons and receptors but isn't even taken into account...

Now I know I have PTSD from my time in prison but I won't dare tell the doctor about it cos they will jump to some drugs that I don't need

Becareful of psychologists and such doctors. The scientific field of mental illness is in its infancy. It's made big advancements in its 100 years but it's far from precise. I learnt that they just throw meds at you and hope it works without really knowing or understanding... Big pharma has a huge influence on it...

That's my experience and thoughts anyway. I'm not saying all the meds are toxic... I find that zoloft works well on most people.

Last edited:

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If there is some paranoid on the board about mental illness, I don't see it... Rumor/gossip is easy to fall into. I'd just be careful.

I think it is something to be careful with online, because no one is a counselor/psychiatrist. Triggers can be easy and detrimental things, and people can make permanent/harmful decisions.

I came on forums for the first time many years ago first looking for recovery support on CF for self injury. I've dealt off and on with mental health, anxiety/depression/PTSD things through out life. I've said things I know have more then likely triggered others including on here in search of healing in areas. But God is who heals. It is just something to think about.

I've gone to a different church last couple years that believes a lot different then past churches in regards to health of all sorts. I would say my thinking is changing. My emotions are changing. I am noticing differences. I still have anxiety, mainly physiological where I feel it in my body with no thought attachment. Like tension/panic, etc. Scripture really has helped me. It really is health to the bones. It brings life in so many areas when weaponized.I feel like I can take thoughts captive easier. Not all the time, but getting there. I really do believe mental health is a spiritual thing too. But I would say take the medicine/stay in prayer/read the Word of God and believe in it. You will start seeing allergic reactions or something when the manifestation of healing starts taking place. Like pastor said when I talked to him in the past about the word of faith movement. People would stop taking their insulin and things and die, because they would do things too fast. Or break their glasses and not be able to see yet. There is a difference between "healing" and a "miracle." But pastor said you take insulin and when you take the shot an allergic reaction happens if you do not need it. That can be manifestation of healing!!!!

It is amazing to hear those stories of healing in peoples' lives. But yeh. My dad is schizophrenic/still on medicine for it. I have alters , that only will speak like in counseling (in the past, haven't forever, but I did with one person where I was triggered) or speaking of traumas. Just like different parts of the brain to cope with things. It does trigger my anxiety for awhile after that happens. It has happened a few times and I am aware of what is gone on. I've never been unaware or had lapses in time where I do not remember things. But despite what is wrong concerning mental health, it is important to proceed with caution online about it. Unlike support groups where it is guided by a trained leader, it isn't always like that online. And if you have spent time in the mental health world, I'm not sure about others, but it is hard not to get involved in it/drawn to it.

Last edited:

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I noticed some paranoia on this forum...
According to WebMD "Paranoia is the feeling that you’re being threatened in some way, such as people watching you or acting against you, even though there’s no proof that it’s true."

Therefore we need to ask ourselves some serious questions:
1. Are the citizens of free countries being threatened in some way as related to to COVID scam? And the answer is "Absolutely". Pastors have been jailed for standing up for their freedom to worship and assemble, because they ignored the oppressive and unnecessary rules imposed by governments. Churches were literally taken captive and shut down. Now churches are being burned to the ground.

2. Are people being threatened about losing their jobs and their freedom to travel and associate unless they take the bogus vaccinations? Absolutely. These vaccines are now being forced on people even though they have been proved to be dangerous and lethal. The US military has imposed mandatory vaccinations, and the soldiers and officers are taking this lying down.

3. Are people watching the citizenry as never before? Absolutely. The right to privacy has been violated by Big Tech as well as Big Government. Personal and medical data is now in the hands of those who would seek to harm others. Everyone who has an iPhone or a newer vehicle is being tracked. Cameras in cities have become totally intrusive.

4. Are people acting against the citizens of free countries? Absolutely. The governments and the courts have decided that the fundamental rights and freedoms are now null and void, and they can violate all of them with impunity. Read the daily news.

5. Is there proof that this is all true? Absolutely.
George Orwell’s 1984 Has Become a Blueprint for Our Dystopian Reality
by John W. Whitehead & Nisha Whitehead | The Rutherford Institute

So this is not paranoia but the present reality. Those who wish to ignore what is going on are the ones who have delusions.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Devin... Visual hallucinations are frightening... Did u have them before taking medication?

I'll tell you what happened to me...
I was diagnosed with depression though I believe it was a misdiagnosis. They just ask you a bunch of questions and if you've just experienced a tragic life event they will misdiagnose you. Your not human if you've never been depressed or anxious... And it doesn't mean your ill if your feeling that way.

Anyway they put me on this stuff known as Zoloft in America... Long story short, it brought on sleep hallucinations. As I was waking up or falling asleep... These aren't lucid dreams, their hallucinations that happen when your awake...

When I looked into the potential side effects of zoloft I found not only hallucinations but all kinds of things like worse depression, a new mental disorder, suicide and death...

I was extremely displeased with the doctor for misdiagnosing me and for prescribing such drugs without first giving me any warning... I never hallucinated since...

Zoloft works but blocking seretonin. But that's how LSD works in producing hallucinations...

They'll say u have a chemical disorder when they really have no idea. U can't measure serotinin or dopamine or oxytocin or any of these chemicals in us...

And there is much more to it than just those chemicals... Neurons and receptors are a big thing too but they dont even look at that...
Did u ever get a brain scan Devin? I never did. That shows a lot about your neurons and receptors but isn't even taken into account...

Now I know I have PTSD from my time in prison but I won't dare tell the doctor about it cos they will jump to some drugs that I don't need

Becareful of psychologists and such doctors. The scientific field of mental illness is in its infancy. It's made big advancements in its 100 years but it's far from precise. I learnt that they just throw meds at you and hope it works without really knowing or understanding... Big pharma has a huge influence on it...

That's my experience and thoughts anyway. I'm not saying all the meds are toxic... I find that zoloft works well on most people.

I have a good doctor. I also suffer from some anxiety and asked to be put on anti-anxiety meds and he said he didn't want me over medicated. I'm only on one pill a day for my schizophrenia and it works well. Without it I see and hear hallucinations. I have anger fits and such. But on the meds I'm normal again.

I also have a friend that's seeing a different doctor. They have her on a cocktail of different meds. Too much in my opinion. Perhaps good doctors are hard to find.

Reactions: Cristo Rei

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
According to WebMD "Paranoia is the feeling that you’re being threatened in some way, such as people watching you or acting against you, even though there’s no proof that it’s true."

Therefore we need to ask ourselves some serious questions:
1. Are the citizens of free countries being threatened in some way as related to to COVID scam? And the answer is "Absolutely". Pastors have been jailed for standing up for their freedom to worship and assemble, because they ignored the oppressive and unnecessary rules imposed by governments. Churches were literally taken captive and shut down. Now churches are being burned to the ground.

2. Are people being threatened about losing their jobs and their freedom to travel and associate unless they take the bogus vaccinations? Absolutely. These vaccines are now being forced on people even though they have been proved to be dangerous and lethal. The US military has imposed mandatory vaccinations, and the soldiers and officers are taking this lying down.

3. Are people watching the citizenry as never before? Absolutely. The right to privacy has been violated by Big Tech as well as Big Government. Personal and medical data is now in the hands of those who would seek to harm others. Everyone who has an iPhone or a newer vehicle is being tracked. Cameras in cities have become totally intrusive.

4. Are people acting against the citizens of free countries? Absolutely. The governments and the courts have decided that the fundamental rights and freedoms are now null and void, and they can violate all of them with impunity. Read the daily news.

5. Is there proof that this is all true? Absolutely.
by John W. Whitehead & Nisha Whitehead | The Rutherford Institute

So this is not paranoia but the present reality. Those who wish to ignore what is going on are the ones who have delusions.
Touche my friend, touche! :D

Last edited:

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
David was a diabetic with a severe case of schizophrenia. Attending church just triggered his paranoia. So I befriended him and visited with him during his dialysis treatments in town. He loved the Psalms, but unfortunately believed that he himself was King David, his namesake. I eventually cured him of this delusion, only to regret that "success" later because it was replaced by a far more destructive delusion--his new conviction that he was Satan! No reassurance I could offer could alter Dave's regular confirmation of that delusion by the constant accusatory voices he experienced. Yet David was a deeply spiritual soul; so it was very hard on my faith to see so little progress through prayer or encouraging him to meditate on positive biblical principles. His condition seemed to worsen when well-meaning evangelicals tried to "deliver him" by binding his demonic spirit!
His Jewish psychiatrist tried to get David to abandon his faith in Christ and the Bible on the grounds that his Christian faith was a toxic part of the problem. In a sense it was, but I could not support this pressure to get David to abandon his fragile faith.

David's meds, combined with his diabetes, eventually took his life, leaving me to agonize over the question, "Where might I have gone wrong in my efforts to befriend and minister to him?" Why did my prayers and David's go unanswered? That precious friendship is one of the most emotionally searing experiences of my otherwise very positive life.
Sorry to hear about your loss. We have a lot of schizophrenics and bipolar people that are homeless in my area. I've helped some of them, but to be honest it's dangerous and you get your stuff stolen helping them. The problem is that no one wants to deal with them because they're too dangerous like wild people or something, walking around yelling and screaming and acting violent. Some of them simply won't take their medications. And so they get thrown out of their homes. For whatever the reason, they end up on the streets. And from time to time end up in jail or prison because of their illness. It's truly sad and happens all too often.

It used to be that the federal gov had facilities to house and treat these people. The government has shut down these facilities to let the states deal with them here in the USA. And the states fail at helping these people. They end up on the streets and not housed in a proper treatment facility. And that is the proper approach, not a church. These people have special needs and requirements and handling that a church setting is both not informed on and also insufficient to handle.

Last edited:

Berserk

Apr 13, 2019
Colville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sorry to hear about your loss. We have a lot of schizophrenics and bipolar people that are homeless in my area. I've helped some of them, but to be honest it's dangerous and you get your stuff stolen helping them. The problem is that no one wants to deal with them because they're too dangerous like wild people or something, walking around yelling and screaming and acting violent. Some of them simply won't take their medications. And so they get thrown out of their homes. For whatever the reason, they end up on the streets. And from time to time end up in jail or prison because of their illness. It's truly sad and happens all too often.

It used to be that the federal gov had facilities to house and treat these people. The government has shut down these facilities to let the states deal with them here in the USA. And the states fail at helping these people. They end up on the streets and not housed in a proper treatment facility. And that is the proper approach, not a church. These people have special needs and requirements and handling that a church setting is both not informed on and also insufficient to handle.

I'm told that roughly half the people in our local jail are mentally ill and drug-addicted. The 2 often seem to go together here. Particularly sad are the mentally ill young women who are victimized by drugs-for-sex male predators. To these women their hard drugs become their new meds, and so, they stop taking their medically prescribed meds.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm told that roughly half the people in our local jail are mentally ill and drug-addicted. The 2 often seem to go together here. Particularly sad are the mentally ill young women who are victimized by drugs-for-sex male predators. To these women their hard drugs become their new meds, and so, they stop taking their medically prescribed meds.
Yep, the politicians decided to do away with the stuff that actually helped them. Now it's a mess. And a lot of ill people are suffering because of cruel politicians.

Reactions: Nancy

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I have a good doctor. I also suffer from some anxiety and asked to be put on anti-anxiety meds and he said he didn't want me over medicated. I'm only on one pill a day for my schizophrenia and it works well. Without it I see and hear hallucinations. I have anger fits and such. But on the meds I'm normal again.

I also have a friend that's seeing a different doctor. They have her on a cocktail of different meds. Too much in my opinion. Perhaps good doctors are hard to find.

It is hard to find a good, honest doctor.

So u have audio and visual hallucinations if u don't take the meds... That is a symptom of psychosis...

But hallucinations really interest me.
What causes them?
Is there a spiritual side to hallucinations?

I only had two hallucinations while on the meds and they both had me running out of my room screaming with fear...
What did i just witness?
Was it real?
Was it a sign from God?

Our minds are just as mysterious as the universe...
Even dreams can't be properly explained by doctors...
What is that part or minds that doesn't sleep?
Is it our spirit or soul?

Thanks for sharing that. It can be daunting to share, I rarely do.
Can u share your most frightening or lovely hallucination pls...

I'll go first... My hallucinations are medically known as sleep hallucinations and are a parasomnia. It's related to sleep paralysis, which is the worse type of parasomnia as you hallucinate while you can't move your body. A frightening thought. It's not a dream, it happens when we're awake, we're conscious.

So as I was dozing off to sleep I see this blue neon light, dancing in the mid air. I jumped out of bed and ran out screaming... I thought I'd seen a spirit...

These aren't smokey or ghostly kind of hallucinations... They were vivid. As clear as u can see...

How about you? What do u see and/or hear that makes you wonder or frightens u... Please tell