Mind Loops

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When you add a human mind loop in with a religious promise.....a promise that has no actual evidence in reality...the result is a very persistent dependency on that ideology. It acts like a drug. People get addicted to the self-congratulatory sense of self-righteousness.

I think this describes very well the appeal of righteousness through works, and that we can somehow make ourselves acceptable to God. And then they have something to boast of. That boasting reflects in their "reward circuit", resulting in an actual internal drug addiction.

This is also true, I think, for those who choose to mislead others. The sense of power, the feeling of authority, can be very addictive!

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I think this describes very well the appeal of righteousness through works, and that we can somehow make ourselves acceptable to God. And then they have something to boast of. That boasting reflects in their "reward circuit", resulting in an actual internal drug addiction.

This is also true, I think, for those who choose to mislead others. The sense of power, the feeling of authority, can be very addictive!

You should be very careful then... and realize you are passive aggressive.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
More like robbing people of their hope.

Eternal life is not the reward for good works. There's a "mind loop" for you!
Do you not believe it is necessary to grow toward God for as long as we have time?
Do you not believe that to stand still is eventually to stagnate and die? Even with the very best new thing God has given us, each one of us, if we stop there, as if that were the very last God had to give us, would we not also stop pleasing Him? Do you stop giving you wife love because you have been married for 50 years? What does your wife expect of you? What does your God expect of you?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you not believe it is necessary to grow toward God for as long as we have time?

Necessary for what? Maturity? Of course. Eternal life? Is that what you are asking? Do you not believe that we grow because we have life, rather than growing so we might hopefully attain life?

Do you not believe that to stand still is eventually to stagnate and die?
Standing is what we are to do. By faith we access into the grace in which we . . . stand.

And we walk . . . in those works pre-ordained.

Even with the very best new thing God has given us, each one of us, if we stop there, as if that were the very last God had to give us, would we not also stop pleasing Him? Do you stop giving you wife love because you have been married for 50 years? What does your wife expect of you? What does your God expect of you?
Do you mean if you decide to just go back to your flesh life?

Amadeus . . . Does God love you because you are good? Does God accept you because you are good? Why does God love, and accept you?

Much love!

Reactions: Hisman

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you know that there is a difference between guarantee and hope? Who runs a race with a guarantee that they are going to win? Maybe if you have mafia connections?? o_O:eek::oops::rolleyes:
Yes I do know. You might sell me a toaster with a guarantee, and if it breaks, you'll give me another one.

God's Word is true. His toasters don't break. That's a hope.

God's hope isn't wistful, like, I hope this new toaster doesn't break! I have a hope, and that hope is what results from God's promise, not someone's guarantee.

Mafia connections? Not exactly. A new creation.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You should be very careful then... and realize you are passive aggressive.
You speak a lot about "passive aggressive". You've called me that several times to my face, no telling to whom else.

Aggression couched in deniability, so that you can attack others while maintaining your facade.

A tool used by those who prefer to not actually communicate, as they see the shallow depth of possible response. A tool used by people who are more comfortable manipulating, and hiding.

Open discussion is much better.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you know that there is a difference between guarantee and hope?

Who runs a race with a guarantee that they are going to win?

Paul mentioned running not In vain. Philippians 2:16 Holding forth the word of life; that I may rejoice in the day of Christ, that I have not run in vain, neither laboured in vain.

IF Christ is the Hope, is He not also the guarantee in that ”Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think any thing as of ourselves; but our sufficiency is of God;” 2 Corinthians 3:5

Reactions: marks and Episkopos

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paul mentioned running not In vain. Philippians 2:16 Holding forth the word of life; that I may rejoice in the day of Christ, that I have not run in vain, neither laboured in vain.

IF Christ is the Hope, is He not also the guarantee in that ”Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think any thing as of ourselves; but our sufficiency is of God;” 2 Corinthians 3:5

Here's a guarantee . . .

11 In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will:
12 That we should be to the praise of his glory, who first trusted in Christ.
13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,
14 Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.

The earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession. Pretty solid!

Much love!

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here's a guarantee . . .

11 In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will:
12 That we should be to the praise of his glory, who first trusted in Christ.
13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,
14 Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.

The earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession. Pretty solid!

Much love!

pretty solid is Gods sufficiency. 1 Corinthians 3:7 So then neither is he that planteth any thing, neither he that watereth; but God that giveth the increase.

Mark 4:8-9 And other fell on good ground, and did yield fruit that sprang up and increased; and brought forth, some thirty, and some sixty, and some an hundred. [9] And he said unto them, He that hath ears to hear, let him hear.

Reactions: marks

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes I do know. You might sell me a toaster with a guarantee, and if it breaks, you'll give me another one.

God's Word is true. His toasters don't break. That's a hope.

God's hope isn't wistful, like, I hope this new toaster doesn't break! I have a hope, and that hope is what results from God's promise, not someone's guarantee.

Mafia connections? Not exactly. A new creation.

Much love!

Romans 8
18 For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.
19 For the earnest expectation of the creature waiteth for the manifestation of the sons of God.
20 For the creature was made subject to vanity, not willingly, but by reason of him who hath subjected the same in hope,
21 Because the creature itself also shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God.
22 For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now.
23 And not only they, but ourselves also, which have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for the adoption, to wit, the redemption of our body.
24 For we are saved by hope: but hope that is seen is not hope: for what a man seeth, why doth he yet hope for?
25 But if we hope for that we see not, then do we with patience wait for it.

This entire passage teaches us about hope. Biblical hope, not the wistful hope of American literature. But what God says.

God has a hope.

God subjected creation to futility in hope. Is that a wistful wondering hope? No, absolutely not! God is certain!

4 For we are saved by hope: but hope that is seen is not hope: for what a man seeth, why doth he yet hope for?
25 But if we hope for that we see not, then do we with patience wait for it.

2 Corinthians 5:7 "For we walk by faith, not by sight"

Why do we with patience wait for it?

Much love!

Hisman

Mar 31, 2019
westen
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Do you not believe that we grow because we have life, rather than growing so we might hopefully attain life?
Standing is what we are to do. By faith we access into the grace in which we . . . stand.

Much love!

Yes, very well said .
When our children were small, we fed them and they amazingly grew.

Even when they ate too much, or something bad for them they got sick...but they were still our children.

Many parents have lost children. When they died were they any the less - their children?

Reactions: marks

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, very well said .
When our children were small, we fed them and they amazingly grew.

Even when they ate too much, or something bad for them they got sick...but they were still our children.

Many parents have lost children. When they died were they any the less - their children?
People understand this in humans, but then don't seem to understand it about God, the Ultimate Parent.

We were born from Him. We are and remain His children. The spirit children of God.

So much love!

Reactions: Hisman

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Necessary for what? Maturity? Of course. Eternal life? Is that what you are asking? Do you not believe that we grow because we have life, rather than growing so we might hopefully attain life?

Are you already an overcomer as Jesus was an overcomer? Does anything in your day to day routine and walk ever overcome you? When would you say as a 'born again' person did you move from a troubled immature teenager to one with the maturity of Jesus? Every step we take should be directed by the Lord, but we must take the steps.

And we walk . . . in those works pre-ordained.

Do you understand what a plateau is?
Do you understand that there really is no stopping place until we have reached the top of the mountain where Jesus is?

Jesus said that He was no longer in the world before he was crucified. When did he stop being in the world? When are we no longer in the world?

Do you mean if you decide to just go back to your flesh life?
I did this once for 10 years. I don't advise anyone to go that route, but it remains open to us while we have time.
Amadeus . . . Does God love you because you are good? Does God accept you because you are good? Why does God love, and accept you?
Jesus loved Judas! Why was Judas lost?

Reactions: Pisteuo

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you already an overcomer as Jesus was an overcomer?
Necessary for what, amadeus, why the reluctance to answer?

amadeus said:

Do you wish to give an answer, or just another string of questions. Am I the only one expected to answer someone else's question?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you understand what a plateau is?
Do you understand that there really is no stopping place until we have reached the top of the mountain where Jesus is?
It sounds like you are taking exception with my use of the language of "standing" . . .

Ephesians 6
10 Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might.
11 Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.
12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
13 Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.
14 Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;
15 And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace;
16 Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.
17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:
18 Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;
19 And for me, that utterance may be given unto me, that I may open my mouth boldly, to make known the mystery of the gospel,
20 For which I am an ambassador in bonds: that therein I may speak boldly, as I ought to speak.

If standing is a plateau, may we all be there together!

Romans 5:1-2
Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ: By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.

Much love!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Necessary for what, amadeus, why the reluctance to answer?

amadeus said:

Do you wish to give an answer, or just another string of questions. Am I the only one expected to answer someone else's question?
I admit to having trouble answering you. It is not because I do not know what I believe, but rather simply that there are some basic differences between us that make communication difficult or even impossible. Often it is like you speaking Russian when I am speaking Chinese. Little or no common ground.

I do not believe that @Episkopos is infallible, but reading your posts on several of his threads makes it appear you believe that every thing single thing he posts here is in error and cannot be supported by scripture. You should know better than that. Scripture can be and is used to support a multitude of different doctrines and beliefs.

You seem to take the approach that when you cannot understand him, he is not even using the scriptures. As he has stated in my hearing on forums sometimes he speaks the essence of scriptures without precisely quoting them or showing numbers designating chapter and verse. I know that he could, but in some cases he certainly should not.
Even that is scriptural or rather it is according to Word of God.

Look around where you live my friend. In your neighborhood how many churches using essentially the same Bible hold diametrically opposed doctrines?

Reactions: Episkopos

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It sounds like you are taking exception with my use of the language of "standing" . . .

Ephesians 6
10 Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might.
11 Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.
12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
13 Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.
14 Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;
15 And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace;
16 Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.
17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:
18 Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;
19 And for me, that utterance may be given unto me, that I may open my mouth boldly, to make known the mystery of the gospel,
20 For which I am an ambassador in bonds: that therein I may speak boldly, as I ought to speak.

If standing is a plateau, may we all be there together!

Romans 5:1-2
Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ: By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.

Much love!
To stand on the Word of God is one thing, but to stand still is quite another...

Reactions: Episkopos

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
but reading your posts on several of his threads makes it appear you believe that every thing single thing he posts here is in error and cannot be supported by scripture. You should know better than that.
This makes a perfect example of the Straw Man Argument.

I should know better than that. Except that what you've said I should know better than is neither true, nor what I've expressed. So the idea that I think everything he says is error is incorrect, yet you then go on to argue against is as if it were correct.

I've agreed with the fellow at times, I've given likes to his posts at times.

I'm still interested in your, not his, your answer . . . but it seems you don't want to do that, so, OK. I'm not going to keep asking the question.

Often it is like you speaking Russian when I am speaking Chinese. Little or no common ground.

?

amadeus said:

marks said:

Seems fairly simple for me. Necessary for maturity. That's my answer.

Again, you can answer or not as you choose, but this is your choice. It has nothing to do with episkopos, nothing to do with me, either you want to or you don't.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You seem to take the approach that when you cannot understand him, he is not even using the scriptures. As he has stated in my hearing on forums sometimes he speaks the essence of scriptures without precisely quoting them or showing numbers designating chapter and verse. I know that he could, but in some cases he certainly should not.
Even that is scriptural or rather it is according to Word of God.

Perhaps I can clear up the confusion.

It's not a matter of whether I understand him or not, he writes fairly clearly in my book.

When I question him about Scriptures, it's because I recognize the passage he alludes, and can see the misquote, or misuse, and wish to bring more light to that is be said.

Mixing in Biblical sounding language is not the same a supporting your views to others using Scripture.

It's not a question of not understanding. This comes from understanding.