Ministerial Credentialing: Biblical?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

IanLC

Encounter Team
Mar 22, 2011
North Carolina
My question is many denominations place requirements and prerequisites on people seeking ministerial credentials. My question is is it biblical? I have not found any scriptures to support this.

The body I belong to the United Holy Church of America (UHCA) ministerial credentialing is as follows
Apprentice License: received after the person preaches their initial/trial sermon and serves under their ordained pastor for 1 year, may preach only

Minister's License: Allows the minister to assist in the administration of Holy communion, assist in the sacrement of water baptism, preach and teach the gospel, and serve in the ministry of the gospel under the oversight of an ordained pastor

Ordination: UHCA ordaines ministers elders and the elders are the pastors, the elder may administer the Lord's Supper, Administer water baptism, perform weddings and funerals, preach and teach the gospel, serve in the ministry of the gospel and may serve as pastors, elders have the power to ordain licensed ministers to elders

Consecration: UHCA consecrates elders to bishops, the bishop may perform all ordination duties as well as overseeing duties over districts and the general UHCA, bishops have the authority to consecrate elders to bishops

Yet with all of that I see no scriptural authority for it. Why do we do this in our churches?

Axehead

May 9, 2012
Let's see. How can I say this without being misunderstood? Some (maybe most) men's religious organizations require paper credentials. A degree or diploma, if you will. No, it is not Biblical as God calls and anoints men, however, if you voluntarily place yourself under men, then by doing that you are signaling agreement with their customs and traditions for the most part.

The "credentials" that God is looking for are not found on a piece of paper but rather in our hearts.

IanLC

Encounter Team
Mar 22, 2011
North Carolina
I agree with wholeheartedly with what you said! Biblicaly there is no foundation for these requirements. I'm not saying that they are not helpful and beneficial but they are not mandated by the Holy scripture.

Rex

Oct 17, 2012
Kingman AZ
Nether are they a legal requirement of the state.
Its a requirement of the chain of churches you fellowship with.
If you dig deep enough you'll probably find guide lines for following specific doctrine and teachings as well.

Whats more amazing is people accept these teachers at face value, in their minds by default they believe they properly teach and represent God.

Some do and some don't

IanLC

Encounter Team
Mar 22, 2011
North Carolina
Yes for the Holy Ghost is the greatest teacher! I'm not bashing or saying that the rules put in place are negative and not helpful but they are simply not biblical. Doctrine is secondary to the Holy Writ!

Markseasigh

Dec 4, 2012
You should check out Jude.

Also,

READ FOR CERTAIN

Jude 1:14

ITS A REAL EYE OPENER TO HOW THE BIBLE SITES GOD BREATHED DOCUMENTS ONLY.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
If you want to be a member of their group then you must meet the requirements.
But the truth is that the clergy/laity system is an invention of man and a poor counterfeit of the old Hebrew priesthood.

Axehead said:
The "School of the Spirit" is the school you want to be in.
Yes indeed, a very good book for learning is "The School Of Christ" by T. Austin Sparks http://austin-sparks.net/english/books/school_of_christ_the.html

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, let's look at the other side of the coin for just a moment.

In the Bible, there were no universities/Bible colleges/credentialing systems, yes. I don't think anyone will make that argument, so let's chunk it by the wayside.

The problem with just any John or Jane Doe being able to step up totally of the Spirit is that there are a number of perfectly convincing people out there that claim to be lead of the Holy Spirit, but indeed are not. Looking quite clearly at the 12 Disciples, the Apostles, and Paul's letters about others, there is clear-cut disciple/apprentice type relationship ongoing. The Bible attests to this:

II Timothy 2:2 And what you have heard from me in the presence of many witnesses entrust to faithful men who will be able to teach others also.

(Emphasis mine.)

Jesus himself did not say - "Hey, you guys are all inspired now, so go make disciples of all nations." Instead, he brought the disciples through the rigors of discipleship (something we don't totally culturally understand), teaching them rather confusing and difficult parables at the time.

It seems ideal that we would know that so-and-so is empowered by God to teach/preach/pastor/etc. However, even in a church environment of volunteers, there has to be some measure of check on who is representing God. It becomes all the moreso with people who lead entire congregations. If someone is giving a blessing to preach, and that someone seems perfectly logical and inspired, but six weeks later they're teaching a lesson on God's little green men sent to bless us, that's trouble.

Ideally, a leader is taught the good traditions of the church (whole body). We Protestants tend to make tradition a dirty word, but the fact of the matter is that Scripture interpretations are interpreted to a large degree by tradition as a moderating force. For instance, we know that early church Fathers taught X, but the Rev.-Dr.-Bishop-Laureate Bob Smith teaches Y, which comes into conflict. X is probably closer to the mark because the believers in the immediate century after Jesus were privy to the details that we are not. All of the original Reformers understood this.

[email protected]

Choir Loft
Apr 2, 2009
West Central Florida
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
UHCAIan said:
My question is many denominations place requirements and prerequisites on people seeking ministerial credentials. My question is is it biblical? I have not found any scriptures to support this.

The body I belong to the United Holy Church of America (UHCA) ministerial credentialing is as follows
Apprentice License: received after the person preaches their initial/trial sermon and serves under their ordained pastor for 1 year, may preach only

Minister's License: Allows the minister to assist in the administration of Holy communion, assist in the sacrement of water baptism, preach and teach the gospel, and serve in the ministry of the gospel under the oversight of an ordained pastor

Ordination: UHCA ordaines ministers elders and the elders are the pastors, the elder may administer the Lord's Supper, Administer water baptism, perform weddings and funerals, preach and teach the gospel, serve in the ministry of the gospel and may serve as pastors, elders have the power to ordain licensed ministers to elders

Consecration: UHCA consecrates elders to bishops, the bishop may perform all ordination duties as well as overseeing duties over districts and the general UHCA, bishops have the authority to consecrate elders to bishops

Yet with all of that I see no scriptural authority for it. Why do we do this in our churches?
Credentialing or completion of a degreed program is a method that assures a person is able to study, extract information and publish it by means of speech and written word in a form that can be understood by others. A formal education simply means that a man or woman is recognized as having good library and publishing skills. That's all. It does not elevate their natural intelligence and it does not prove any sort of superiority over their peers.

Committee review and approval of the educated man or woman is a method of verifying that the individual's head isn't full of crazy ideas. It is a way of examining the person to determine if they are of the intent to be consistent with the tenants of the faith as accepted by the body of believers. That's all.

Ceremonial events, such as conferring the title of minister or priest, are a public recognition that the person who has done the study and has passed the review board and is qualified to assume the duties of shepard of the flock - a leader of the body of Christ.

That's the idealistic definition anyway.

In point of fact, ministerial orders have devolved into a simple vocation. As an example I wish to share my own experience. I completed masters degree work in theology and church history as a preliminary to holy orders in the Episcopal Church. After submitting to the review board I was treated to a sobering meeting with the chairman of ministry for the diocese. He stated that despite my scholarship and my successful field work I would not be granted holy orders. I would not be allowed to be a minister in the Episcopal church. The reason given was that I was too convinced that the only way to salvation was faith in Jesus Christ. I was too wrapped up "in this Jesus business". I was told that I would not be admitted to a position of leadership in the church until and unless I denied all this 'Jesus' business. "Why can't you understand," he said, "that this is just a job?"

Just a job? Deny Christ to be a minister?

After all that. It's just a job? Is knowing Christ something to be relegated to a simple footnote in one's philosophy? Is following Him with all one's mind and heart and soul a simple hobby - outside of religious duties? Is this something to be ashamed of and to be denied in order to get a job as a church leader?

There is discussion here on the veracity of formal education, review of one's beliefs and actions by a committee of one's peers, and certification by means of ceremony and whether that has any real spiritual significance as far as church leadership is concerned. It is my opinion and the testimony of Biblical text that at one time at least, it meant something. St. Paul was a very learned man as were many of the O.T. prophets such as Daniel, Ezekiel and Isaiah not to mention Moses. Education does not necessarily invalidate one's standing with Our Lord. It doesn't guarantee it either, but I think you know what I mean here.

My point is that the entire process has become corrupt. Those holding holy orders today are more concerned about their 'jobs' than nurturing the church. They sell their souls and the lead their flock into error by preaching false doctrine, or watery thin variations of the gospel that doesn't feed anyone or perform any good except to add to the bank deposits on Monday morning.

but that's just me, hollering from the choir loft...

Axehead

May 9, 2012
HammerStone said:
Well, let's look at the other side of the coin for just a moment.

In the Bible, there were no universities/Bible colleges/credentialing systems, yes. I don't think anyone will make that argument, so let's chunk it by the wayside.

The problem with just any John or Jane Doe being able to step up totally of the Spirit is that there are a number of perfectly convincing people out there that claim to be lead of the Holy Spirit, but indeed are not. Looking quite clearly at the 12 Disciples, the Apostles, and Paul's letters about others, there is clear-cut disciple/apprentice type relationship ongoing. The Bible attests to this:

II Timothy 2:2 And what you have heard from me in the presence of many witnesses entrust to faithful men who will be able to teach others also.

(Emphasis mine.)

Jesus himself did not say - "Hey, you guys are all inspired now, so go make disciples of all nations." Instead, he brought the disciples through the rigors of discipleship (something we don't totally culturally understand), teaching them rather confusing and difficult parables at the time.

It seems ideal that we would know that so-and-so is empowered by God to teach/preach/pastor/etc. However, even in a church environment of volunteers, there has to be some measure of check on who is representing God. It becomes all the moreso with people who lead entire congregations. If someone is giving a blessing to preach, and that someone seems perfectly logical and inspired, but six weeks later they're teaching a lesson on God's little green men sent to bless us, that's trouble.

Ideally, a leader is taught the good traditions of the church (whole body). We Protestants tend to make tradition a dirty word, but the fact of the matter is that Scripture interpretations are interpreted to a large degree by tradition as a moderating force. For instance, we know that early church Fathers taught X, but the Rev.-Dr.-Bishop-Laureate Bob Smith teaches Y, which comes into conflict. X is probably closer to the mark because the believers in the immediate century after Jesus were privy to the details that we are not. All of the original Reformers understood this.
We need deep relational discipleship from the Holy Spirit and fellow men of God. One big problem that I see today, is that programs, procedures, performance and Phd.'s have replaced these two important relationships. Clearly, the Early Church was deeply relational and this could be seen even in their preaching and relationships with the unbelievers around them. No "mass marketing" schemes for them.

Today, the world's methods of authenticating leaders has permeated the Church and that is no surprise since most church organizations are modeled after a Corporation with a top down, hierarchical structure, rather than a horizontal, relational structure of brothers and sisters in the Lord.

Since the Church structure is now modeled after a worldly corporate structure, it is also a given that the world's practices would govern the church such as "paper credentials" instead of relationship with God, "background checks" for those wanting to serve in ministry (instead of discernment), "constant money raising programs", instead of living by faith and depending on the Lord, "following the Pastor's vision", instead of the Church being led by the Spirit, "Caring for inanimate things (for structures, parking lots, salaries, band equipments, mortgages), instead of caring for people, "mass marketing", instead of....you guessed it....one on one relationships. And the list goes on and on and on. I'm sure you all could add many more things from your own experience.

All of these things together, speak loudly to the Lord. Here is what He hears: "Ok Lord, we see how it is done and we'll take it from here". And what does He do? He leaves. His Spirit moves on looking for hearts in which He is welcome. You can see this in the great revivals of history. Once men got their hands on the "work of God", the Spirit moved on. After all, "we see how you do it Lord, and we'll take it from here."

Yeah, "we'll take it from here". No need to depend on the Lord's Spirit anymore because we have been to Seminary and have nothing new to learn and we know exactly how to "run a church". And that's the problem!! "Running a Church". Apart from the Lord we don't know what to do and the carnage is manifested all around us, today.

Psa_12:1-8 Help, LORD; for the godly man ceaseth; for the faithful fail from among the children of men.
We need less "edumacation" and more Godliness and Faithfulness. These are the credentials you can only receive from God in the "school of the Spirit", not a classroom.

Rom 16:18 For they that are such serve not our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly; and by good words and fair speeches deceive the hearts of the simple.

1Co_2:1 And I, brethren, when I came to you, came not with excellency of speech or of wisdom, declaring unto you the testimony of God.

1Co_2:4 And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power:

By the way, this prideful attitude of "knowing everything" is not just confined to those who have had formal training. And, on the flip side, I know many that have had formal training (like Paul the Apostle) that are very "Godly" and "Faithful" men of God who realize they don't know everything and must depend on the Holy Spirit, minute by minute, everyday. It's the attitude "that we see how it is done Lord and we'll take it from here", that chases the Holy Spirit off, and no Spirit no LIFE!!

Axehead

MTPockets

Aug 4, 2012
Axehead said:
The "School of the Spirit" is the school you want to be in.
Yes, yer spot-on with saying that!
This is why it's so critical that we Christians "be renewed in the spirit of your mind" because "strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil"