Moral Values

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

John Caldwell

Apr 12, 2019
North Augusta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I wonder how we prioritize moral values, both as a society (at large or in the public arena) and as an individual.

As an individual the “virtue” that I prize most is honesty. I may do and say many things, but I will not lie. Anyone who knows me knows this and it is not without its problems. But this was instilled in me at an early age. Your word is your bond, it is who you are, etc. We were taught that all men are created in God’s image and race is superficial. But other values, such as standing up for social injustice, was not really instilled in us beyond a superficial idea to “do the right thing” regarding our own individual circumstances. Justice was not instilled as a value. In other words, “doing the right thing” in terms of seeking out the right to do fell below “being the right person” in my value system. I will not lie, but at one time I may not have came quickly to the aid of others. That sort of thing. It seems that when we grow spiritually our character improves. One value does not diminish so that another grows.

As a society it seems values change, often inversely to one another. In White Guilt, Shelby Steele compares the moral “sins” of Clinton and Eisenhower to illustrate a point. A journalist noted that Eisenhower occasionally used a racial slur on the golf course (this was unsubstantiated but going with the assumption it was accurate). While inappropriate this was not considered morally disqualifying for the Presidency. Clinton was caught in sexual immorality. While this was considered inappropriate it was at the same time considered a personal issue and not morally disqualifying for the Presidency. But had the transgressions been reversed, had Eisenhower been caught in the same situation as Clinton, and Clinton in the same situation as Eisenhower, both would have been removed from office. Racial immorality was considered acceptable in the 50’s while sexual immorality was not. The inverse is true today.

How do we prioritize values as individuals and how are they prioritized or held by our culture?

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I wonder how we prioritize moral values, both as a society (at large or in the public arena) and as an individual.

As an individual the “virtue” that I prize most is honesty. I may do and say many things, but I will not lie. Anyone who knows me knows this and it is not without its problems. But this was instilled in me at an early age. Your word is your bond, it is who you are, etc. We were taught that all men are created in God’s image and race is superficial. But other values, such as standing up for social injustice, was not really instilled in us beyond a superficial idea to “do the right thing” regarding our own individual circumstances. Justice was not instilled as a value. In other words, “doing the right thing” in terms of seeking out the right to do fell below “being the right person” in my value system. I will not lie, but at one time I may not have came quickly to the aid of others. That sort of thing. It seems that when we grow spiritually our character improves. One value does not diminish so that another grows.

As a society it seems values change, often inversely to one another. In White Guilt, Shelby Steele compares the moral “sins” of Clinton and Eisenhower to illustrate a point. A journalist noted that Eisenhower occasionally used a racial slur on the golf course (this was unsubstantiated but going with the assumption it was accurate). While inappropriate this was not considered morally disqualifying for the Presidency. Clinton was caught in sexual immorality. While this was considered inappropriate it was at the same time considered a personal issue and not morally disqualifying for the Presidency. But had the transgressions been reversed, had Eisenhower been caught in the same situation as Clinton, and Clinton in the same situation as Eisenhower, both would have been removed from office. Racial immorality was considered acceptable in the 50’s while sexual immorality was not. The inverse is true today.

How do we prioritize values as individuals and how are they prioritized or held by our culture?

morals are simply what is agreed to, in a country like the US that agreement is amended and renegotiated through out time. and then a new version of the agreement of the society is in place.

when it comes to morals even things like the Ten Commandments is a covenant (agreement) of which was agreed to in Moses' day. the Almighty always makes an agreement in His relationship with man. even when God put the man in the Garden of Eden there was an agreement.

many argue otherwise, but morals are relative, they are relative to those in the agreement. those not included in the agreement are not required, nor is there obligation on their part.

Reactions: Heart2Soul