More Drugs

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

DONNIE

Jan 29, 2008
Psalm 104:14-16 14 He makes grass grow for the cattle, and plants for man to cultivate— bringing forth food from the earth: 15 wine that gladdens the heart of man, oil to make his face shine, and bread that sustains his heart.

Alpha and Omega

May 11, 2008
(DONNIE;49143)
Psalm 104:14-16 14 He makes grass grow for the cattle, and plants for man to cultivate— bringing forth food from the earth: 15 wine that gladdens the heart of man, oil to make his face shine, and bread that sustains his heart.
I'm not sure what you are trying to prove. A contradiction? Why do you suppose in the first verse that you provided it says Wine, or for strong drink? because they are not the same. The wine in the Bible is like juice to us. It is non-alcoholic.

Wakka

Jun 4, 2007
(JsusChrst111;49150)
found something interesting on Google...... Jesus/Marijuanaor try Jesus/Mushroom
And what would that be?

DONNIE

Jan 29, 2008
"The wine in the Bible is like juice to us"Then how do they get drunk on it? There are many references to drunkenness. Why would we be warned against it if its not strong enough to get you drunk. Why would it even be mentioned if it was only juice. Donnie

treeoflife

Apr 30, 2008
(DONNIE;49168)
"The wine in the Bible is like juice to us"Then how do they get drunk on it? There are many references to drunkenness. Why would we be warned against it if its not strong enough to get you drunk. Why would it even be mentioned if it was only juice. Donnie
I think he means in this instance, it is referring to what we would call juice... not always. However, I'm not agreeing or disagreeing, I just think that is what is being said.

DONNIE

Jan 29, 2008
I don't see the need to be warned about the abuses of juice and don't believe that was the case.

Craig19

Apr 26, 2008
In those days wine was not wine as we know it today. Today all wine is alcoholic but in those days it was not so. The best wine was the wine that had no alcohol in and the worse the wine got the more alcoholic it got. If translated correct from Hebrew this is what you will find. When Jesus turned water into wine it was turned into a juice but when we are warned against wine it is the other type, that has alcohol and makes you drunk. If you read and let the Holy Spirit lead you you will see the difference.And about this God created weed so why should I not smoke it. This is the stupidest argument I have yet heard. God created satan not so he could do evil but yes He did create him. God created all things for good but we as humans and with satans help turn them into bad things which they were not intended for.God bless

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Some interesting comments and I am sure well meaning but we have to stick with the facts as revealed in scripture. Here are some of them…All wine in the New Testament was alcoholic or as it was known then, fermented. The following verses make this clear. In Luke 1 v 15 it talks about wine and strong drink. Wine is fermented grapes and strong drink is ‘intensely fermented’. In other words stronger.In Luke 10 v 34 the Good Samaritan poured oil and wine into the wounds of the person who had been attacked. It is a known fact that fermented wine has healing properties. Unfermented wine does not.In John 2 v 10 where it talks about Jesus turning the water into wine the significance of the act was that the best wine was left until last. This was against tradition where the best wine was served first. What made it the best was that it was an older wine than had mellowed and was smoother to drink. If that ran out you served wine that had not been fermenting so long so it was not as good and more likely to make you drunk.This is confirmed by Luke 5 v 9 where it says "no man having drunk old wine straighway desires new wine". In Acts 2 v 13 the apostles were accused of being full of new wine, the sort that made you drunk quicker.In Ephesians 5 v 18 we are told not to be drunk with wine because that is excess. It doesn't say not to drink wine and you can't get drunk unless it is fermented. In 1 Timothy 3 v 8 and Titus 1 v 7 a condition to be an Elder or Deacon was that you were not to be given to much wine. Note, not given to wine.In 1 Peter 4 v 3 it talks about prior to conversion we were given to an excess of wine. Please note, not given to wine.On the basis of scripture there cannot be any sanction against drinking wine, apart from the fact that in those days they drank wine like we drink water and in every case it was fermented. The sanction is against drinking wine in excess so if you have a glass of wine with your meal you do not need to have a conscience about it. If you get drunk with wine (or any alcohol for that matter) you need counselling because you are rebelling against the Word of God.

Craig19

Apr 26, 2008
I agree marksman its not wrong to drink the law is about doing it in excess. I chose to stop drinking because I know that if I start I do not always know my limits so I rather stay away.There is nothing wrong with drinking wine while having a meal, but here comes the problem getting drunk is a relative term and differs from person to person some people have 2 glasses of wine and are drunker than the guy drinking a whole bottle. So saying to someone you can drink, but do not get drunk is very risky. Because even drunkards state they are not drunk. I believe it is for every person to decide on his own, but they should be careful to not lie to themselves. Alcohol is very dangerous and can catch the best of men. In my oppinion I would stay away from it because most people do not know where to draw the line.Also if you say you are a christian and lets say your a pastor and people see you drinking a beer. They do not care if its your only beer or if its your tenth. They say:" Ok the paster is drinking so that means I can drink as well" this is there excuse for getting drunk. Leading others wrongs is also against the Word. So it is a very touchy subject, but I believe staying away from alcohol just makes it all so much simpler.God bless

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Some very good points Craig, all of which I have considered over the years as I have been taught various things about alcohol.Whatever you believe you can only come to right judgment when you know what the scripture teaches. Otherwise you are basing your beliefs on hearsay and conjecture.Once you know what the scripture teaches you can then make an informed decision and stand your ground on what you believe.Without this you are as the scripture says "tossed around with every wind of doctrine" which in the end may not be doctrine, just someone's opinion. When you know what the scripture teaches, you then can make your own decision and it will always be right if it fulfills what the scripture teaches. If it leads to being drunk, then it is obvious your decision is wrong. The scripture gives us the freedom to make this sort of decision in regards to food and drink. In Colossians 2 v 16 it says "Therefore let no one judge you in food or in drink, or in respect of a feast, or of the new moon, or of the sabbaths".Your choice not to drink is as valid as a persons choice to drink as long as they don't get drunk and they are not causing someone else to stumble. The important thing is Rom 14:17 for the kingdom of God is not eating and drinking, but righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit. In days past I was led to believe that what you did or didn't eat or drink, what you did or didn't do on the Sabbath, what you did or didn't wear was the measure of your christianity.What is more important is righteousnes, peace and joy.

Craig19

Apr 26, 2008
I agree fully not drinking or drinking and not getting drunk does not really matter. Like I said I chose not to drink because I know for now its 1 of my weaknesses but I have no problem with drinking. Its like you said we should not judge what people eat or drink if they do it in such a way that I feel its wrong according to scripture I will say something. Like if they are getting drunk or leading others astray but apart from that what another person does is between him and God

Learning

Dec 12, 2007
Though I smoke, I do not feel right about it. Drinking wine to a certain point is mentioned in the Bible so I guess that is all right. Drugs I don't think is in the Bible so I would have to say, like smoking, that it is wrong.

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
If it is any help Learning, I don't smoke because I think it is stupid and unhealthy, not because of any christian conviction. If I wasn't a christian, I still would not smoke for the reasons stated.If you don't feel right about it perhaps you need to find out why you smoke. Until you come up with the root, you cannot deal with the fruit which is standard practice for dealing with life controlling actions.Most of the time people cannot give up things because they are in denial about the root as sometimes it is too painful. Whatever the cause remember that there is no condemnation for those that are in Christ.

proverbs1717

Aug 20, 2008
It has been clearly laid out that the Bible says not to drink to the point of drunkenness. Now, really, are you seriously talking about smoking weed and not getting high?I've got 13 years of experience using drugs. I got clean six years ago. For the past year I have been working as an addiction treatment professional. In my 19 years of using drugs and being around active and recovering addicts, I have never known anyone that only wanted to smoke marijuana and not get high. The bible makes it clear that getting drunk/high is wrong. Period. There is no argument. People before me have posted that clearly enough. So, if you want to take one hit off of a joint and not get high (and it had better be low quality, home grown), then sure, you are fine, take your one hit of terrible tasting smoke. If you're going for two or three hits to relax, take the edge off, escape, loosen up, get out of yourself, or any of the other excuses, then yes, it is a sin.rick