Mormons & Coffee

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

blankshot

Oct 5, 2012
The mormons are having a hard time interpreting this scripture because they believe that drinking coffee would contaminate a person's soul.

Matthew 15:11 ESV it is not what goes into the mouth that defiles a person, but what comes out of the mouth; this defiles a person."

Matthew 15:17 ESV Do you not see that whatever goes into the mouth passes into the stomach and is expelled?

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
all religions that started the 19th century have dietary restrictions - it was popular at the time.

Levi

May 30, 2013
The Mormons hold the Book of Mormon and Pearl of Great Price in higher esteem than the Bible anyway. If one of those says it, regardless what the Bible has to say on the matter, they will go with the BOM every time.

It's not just coffee, it's the caffeine, they don't drink anything with caffeine.

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
blankshot said:
The mormons are having a hard time interpreting this scripture because they believe that drinking coffee would contaminate a person's soul.

Matthew 15:11 ESV it is not what goes into the mouth that defiles a person, but what comes out of the mouth; this defiles a person."

Matthew 15:17 ESV Do you not see that whatever goes into the mouth passes into the stomach and is expelled?

Good point.

Declining caffeine and certain foods should be under the category of healthy lifestyles .... not religion.

However , in the big picture , Mormons are confused about a lot more serious things that coffee. It surprises me that in modern day so many people still believe the trappings of Joseph Smith.

It was easier to bamboozle people in the 1800's .... now there is no excuse.

Mormonism reminds me of some Hutterites who think they are going to heaven because they wear suspenders.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For some people every scary symbol must be satanic no matter what it actually means

Suhar

Mar 28, 2013
Western WA
If you watch video you will realize that many symbols have "dual use" but then.... you would know better then some former Satanist.
blankshot said:
It means hazardous or viral which could be good computer wise.
Sure. Pentagram is not Satanic it is a Medal of Honor.

Dodo_David

Melmacian in human guise
Jul 13, 2013
The universal biohazard symbol has been in use since 1966 when it was created for that purpose.
Click here to read about its origin.

scp_foundation__biohazard_symbol_by_lycan_therapy-d4yja6h.png

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
most former satanists that make videos are lying about their satanism. also. symbols have no power unless we give it to them - we decide what they mean - believing they have power in and of themselves is superstitious. i guess it took a catholic to let you know that....

This Vale Of Tears

Indian Papist
Jun 13, 2013
Idaho
blankshot said:

This is very typical. Do you have proof that Mormons base their abstinence from caffeine on this or any other particular Bible verse? Do you know the difference between a doctrine and a discipline? Where's your proof that they believe coffee contaminates people's soul? I take great offense when Mormon beliefs and practices are distorted because it's the same tactics used on us Catholics. There's plenty of error in the LDS belief system with which to disagree, so there's no need to make things up about them. Here, I have a novel idea. Why don't you try talking TO Mormons instead of talking about them? It might clear up more than a few misconceptions.

Reactions: FHII

Dodo_David

Melmacian in human guise
Jul 13, 2013
This Vale Of Tears said:
This is very typical. Do you have proof that Mormons base their abstinence from caffeine on this or any other particular Bible verse? Do you know the difference between a doctrine and a discipline? Where's your proof that they believe coffee contaminates people's soul? I take great offense when Mormon beliefs and practices are distorted because it's the same tactics used on us Catholics. There's plenty of error in the LDS belief system with which to disagree, so there's no need to make things up about them. Here, I have a novel idea. Why don't you try talking TO Mormons instead of talking about them? It might clear up more than a few misconceptions.
From mormonnewsroom.com (an official LDS website):

Despite what was reported, the Church revelation spelling out health practices (Doctrine and Covenants 89) does not mention the use of caffeine. The Church’s health guidelines prohibit alcoholic drinks, smoking or chewing of tobacco, and “hot drinks” — taught by Church leaders to refer specifically to tea and coffee.

williemac

Apr 29, 2012
Canada
Having been directly exposed to toxins in my career, I have consequently been proactive for years in seeking wisdom and understanding concerning health. I have been on pro biotic supplements since the 90's, way before they became a fad, and advertised on t.v. Enzymes are also a big key to health, validating the raw food diet, which I also have had part in. I have much knowledge on the subject of natural health. I could go on, but that is not my purpose here.
So then...It was to my amazement when I was working in construction at an LDS office and food storage facility and discovered things like sugar, and flour, and canned food. Talk about straining out a gnat and swallowing a camel. Sugar is no better than a street legal drug. White flour and processed salt are toxic to the body. (Sea salt is preferred). Canned food and many other processed foods are very hard to digest, as the enzymes have been destroyed, resulting in toxins in the bowel from poor digestion, and inferior nutrition extraction from the food.

I still drink a little coffee to this day, and a little wine. And I can guarantee that I am far healthier than many who think that they are, by their abstaining from a few chosen taboo items. The part that saddens me is the pier pressure, or even spiritual pressure that is used to get people to comply with a rule or two in ignorance of the bigger picture.

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
Williemac .... I do believe the Mormons are very involved with humanitarian aid and disaster relief .... they sent huge truckloads on stuff after hurricane Katrina etc ... just thinking that could be the purpose of those types of food there.

Another interesting bit of trivia ..... a large portion of Mormons work for the FBI etc because they are clean living and dependable , generally trustworthy , and most of them know foreign languages and can assimilate easily in other countries because of all their overseas missionary work.

Its too bad their theology has a serious and fatal flaw in it , because otherwise they would make great christians

They feel Jesus was merely a human who achieved "Godhood" because of his obedience.

And teach that a devout Mormon can also can attain an equivalent "Godhood"

That teaching comes right from the pit and is the polar opposite of Christianity .

But it is very appealing to mankind because we all wish we were God

Satan wanted to be God too .

He started it.

williemac

Apr 29, 2012
Canada
Arnie Manitoba said:
Williemac .... I do believe the Mormons are very involved with humanitarian aid and disaster relief .... they sent huge truckloads on stuff after hurricane Katrina etc ... just thinking that could be the purpose of those types of food there.

Another interesting bit of trivia ..... a large portion of Mormons work for the FBI etc because they are clean living and dependable , generally trustworthy , and most of them know foreign languages and can assimilate easily in other countries because of all their overseas missionary work.

Its too bad their theology has a serious and fatal flaw in it , because otherwise they would make great christians

They feel Jesus was merely a human who achieved "Godhood" because of his obedience.

And teach that a devout Mormon can also can attain an equivalent "Godhood"

That teaching comes right from the pit and is the polar opposite of Christianity .

But it is very appealing to mankind because we all wish we were God

Satan wanted to be God too .

He started it.
He certainly did. And he is at work trying to seduce mankind into the same transgression. But Jesus gave the pattern. He humbled Himself and took on the form of a servant. When He washed His disciples feet, the bible says that He did so knowing that the Father had given all things into His hands, and knowing He had come from God and was going to God. In Phil.2:5-8, we see the same sort of thing, as we are told to have the same mind as Jesus in humbling ourselves as He did though He did not consider it robbery to be equal with God.

Here is where people get it backwards. We are given all things that pertain to life and godliness on day one. We are made joint heirs with Jesus on day one. We are positionally seated with Him in heavenly places right from the beginning. The purpose for this extremely generous gift from God is so that we don't get caught up in some self serving agenda to climb the spiritual ladder. We've arrived already.

Eve was lied to when she heard that God was holding out on her. It has always been God's intention to make man (men) into little copies of Himself (in nature, not in attribute). But it is typical of God's genius to start us off at the top. (through faith, of course). This is so that our motives for serving can be with no thought for self gain. Love does not seek its own. The complete person has nothing to gain and nothing to lose. The assured person can let go of self serving motives. But thanks to the enemy (no thanks, actually), people are being enticed to jump all kinds of hoops to gain or keep that which is already granted freely by God (Rom.8:32) through His Son.

God is good and can be trusted. I don't honestly know why some have such a hard time taking Him at His word. Maybe its because we are programmed by this world we are in to work our way to the top, to earn our wage. Or maybe some are just failing the test and are willfully going after that which Lucifer went after...to be God. Thankfully those things are not for us to judge. I think I will finish my glass of wine and go to bed. :unsure:

This Vale Of Tears

Indian Papist
Jun 13, 2013
Idaho
Dodo_David said:
Which takes us even further away from the initial claim that Mormons think coffee contaminates the soul. I'm actually aware of this debate as well as many others in the LDS community because I have this unsettling and inexplicable thing I do. I actually talk to them instead of about them. The maddening thing about Mormons is that they can't be pinned down on any particular belief. I once tried to talk to them about their belief that murder is unforgivable only to discover that some believe that while others emphatically state the church doesn't teach that. The same pattern is evident when delving into other issues such as men becoming gods, Jesus being the brother of Lucifer, or the practice of plural marriage. So everything we say that Mormons believe is well......up for debate.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The other problem is that Mormons believe that telling people what they want to hear, as long as it advances their church, is God's will - even if it is a lie. It is actually called holy lying.

Dodo_David

Melmacian in human guise
Jul 13, 2013
This Vale Of Tears said:
I'm actually aware of this debate as well as many others in the LDS community because I have this unsettling and inexplicable thing I do. I actually talk to them instead of about them. The maddening thing about Mormons is that they can't be pinned down on any particular belief. I once tried to talk to them about their belief that murder is unforgivable only to discover that some believe that while others emphatically state the church doesn't teach that. The same pattern is evident when delving into other issues such as men becoming gods, Jesus being the brother of Lucifer, or the practice of plural marriage. So everything we say that Mormons believe is well......up for debate.
I used to live in a Mormon-dominated community. I rented an apartment that was one mile away from a Mormon temple. Plus, I have spoken directly to Mormons and to former Mormons. I agree with what Vale says.

blankshot

Oct 5, 2012

Despite what was reported, the Church revelation spelling out health practices (Doctrine and Covenants 89) does not mention the use of caffeine. The Church’s health guidelines prohibit alcoholic drinks, smoking or chewing of tobacco, and “hot drinks” — taught by Church leaders to refer specifically to tea and coffee.
Coffee-Ice-Cream-ice-cream-34732908-1437-1334.jpg

Those who do not like coffee do not want to wake up from slumber.

Coffee Flavor Special