Mosaic Law For Christians

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

brionne

May 31, 2010
Australia
In a recent discussion at Bible study we considered which of the 600+ laws from the Books of Law are applicable to Christians. Many felt that only the 10 commandments applied. The more I study the lessons in the Gospel of Matthew, the more I think perhaps we are subject to most of the laws - excluding blood sacrifice laws which were fulfilled by the great sacrifice of our Lord Jesus Christ.

the principles of the mosaic laws are certainly still Gods standards. He still requires that we deal with justice and righteousness and love and mercy etc.....the mosaic laws were based on all those ideals.

But what we are not bound by are the legal penalties and requirements of the mosaic law. This is because the mosaic laws and the penalties/requirements of the law were put in place as a way to make a persons sins forgiveable. As we rely on Jesus to make our sins forgivable, then it would be silly of us to use the mosaic law for that purpose.

By studying the mosaic laws, it can help us to understand what God considered right and wrong and in that way (and only that way) the mosaic law is still beneficial for us to know....but we certainly wouldnt use it as the basis of our worship becaus then we would not be showing appreciation for Jesus sacrifice.

fivesense

Mar 7, 2010
WI
the principles of the mosaic laws are certainly still Gods standards. He still requires that we deal with justice and righteousness and love and mercy etc.....the mosaic laws were based on all those ideals.

But what we are not bound by are the legal penalties and requirements of the mosaic law. This is because the mosaic laws and the penalties/requirements of the law were put in place as a way to make a persons sins forgiveable. As we rely on Jesus to make our sins forgivable, then it would be silly of us to use the mosaic law for that purpose.

By studying the mosaic laws, it can help us to understand what God considered right and wrong and in that way (and only that way) the mosaic law is still beneficial for us to know....but we certainly wouldnt use it as the basis of our worship becaus then we would not be showing appreciation for Jesus sacrifice.

Should I be an unlearned and illiterate soul, from some backwater region of an unknown part of the world, and hear the proclamation of the evangel of Christ and believe it, I will become "saved". Should I never learn a thing about the Bible, the OT or the NT, and only have faith in the proclamation, will I be neglected by God and not be taught by the Spirit what His desires are for me? Does my knowledge of the Writings decide my course with God, or does my realization of God determine my course? Does my awareness of lots of scriptures ensure that God will move His hand for me as recompense? It that were true, then I am a pitiful creature indeed, worse off than before as my faith is useless without works of study.
AV Ro 5:13 (For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law.

AV Ro 5:20 Moreover the law entered, that the offence might abound. But where sin abounded, grace did much more abound:

The Mosaic Law had a single solitary purpose, and that was to turn mere sin into a trangression and trespass against God. It was given to only one people of all the races and none other. It is a mistake to construe our Lord's connection to Israel as the lost sheep, and ourselves the nations, as one and the same. That is not correctly dividing the word of truth. It breeds confusion and error and hinders much the truth of God to us. What belongs to the Hebrew and the Promises of God to them, must not be hijacked or presumed to be ours. They do not mix. He made no promises to us or our ancestors, and we dare not believe Him to be so "flexible" with what He has spoken so as to include us in their sufferings and glory.

It is the fault of Protestant theologians and scholars, who did not follow in Martin Luther's footsteps, completely repudiating Romanish priestcraft and ritual. Instead, the incorporation of the Universal Church's doctrines and creeds, deemed as inspired as the Scriptures themselves, continues to pollute the saints of the administration of the grace of God.

"Ye have fallen from grace", Paul admonished the Galatians who he sarcastically remarked to as "bewitched". You start out in faith and decide that the Jewish Commandments and ordinances may be a great way to go. Paul made it clear that any Circumcision element that was introduced into the faith and grace of the Lord would mean a curse would come, a loss of light and realization of God.

The Jew will always be subject to the Law and the Sermon, the King set it up that way, and set the example for them. They in turn were to do the same as the Master in order to fulfill all things. They, as a nation, refused the offer. They consented unto His death enmass.

I'll tell you a secret, though it is not...He has not let them off the hook, and the Gentiles have not taken their place.

Never in a billion years will God lie.

Never ever....
fivesense

logabe

Aug 28, 2008
Should I be an unlearned and illiterate soul, from some backwater region of an unknown part of the world, and hear the proclamation of the evangel of Christ and believe it, I will become "saved". Should I never learn a thing about the Bible, the OT or the NT, and only have faith in the proclamation, will I be neglected by God and not be taught by the Spirit what His desires are for me? Does my knowledge of the Writings decide my course with God, or does my realization of God determine my course? Does my awareness of lots of scriptures ensure that God will move His hand for me as recompense? It that were true, then I am a pitiful creature indeed, worse off than before as my faith is useless without works of study.
AV Ro 5:13 (For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law.

AV Ro 5:20 Moreover the law entered, that the offence might abound. But where sin abounded, grace did much more abound:

The Mosaic Law had a single solitary purpose, and that was to turn mere sin into a trangression and trespass against God. It was given to only one people of all the races and none other. It is a mistake to construe our Lord's connection to Israel as the lost sheep, and ourselves the nations, as one and the same. That is not correctly dividing the word of truth. It breeds confusion and error and hinders much the truth of God to us. What belongs to the Hebrew and the Promises of God to them, must not be hijacked or presumed to be ours. They do not mix. He made no promises to us or our ancestors, and we dare not believe Him to be so "flexible" with what He has spoken so as to include us in their sufferings and glory.

It is the fault of Protestant theologians and scholars, who did not follow in Martin Luther's footsteps, completely repudiating Romanish priestcraft and ritual. Instead, the incorporation of the Universal Church's doctrines and creeds, deemed as inspired as the Scriptures themselves, continues to pollute the saints of the administration of the grace of God.

"Ye have fallen from grace", Paul admonished the Galatians who he sarcastically remarked to as "bewitched". You start out in faith and decide that the Jewish Commandments and ordinances may be a great way to go. Paul made it clear that any Circumcision element that was introduced into the faith and grace of the Lord would mean a curse would come, a loss of light and realization of God.

The Jew will always be subject to the Law and the Sermon, the King set it up that way, and set the example for them. They in turn were to do the same as the Master in order to fulfill all things. They, as a nation, refused the offer. They consented unto His death enmass.

I'll tell you a secret, though it is not...He has not let them off the hook, and the Gentiles have not taken their place.

Never in a billion years will God lie.

Never ever....
fivesense

I have been told in the past that there is no difference between the Law
and the Old Covenant, and that when the Old Covenant became obsolete,
so did the Law itself. I'm sure it is plain to most of you that I disagree with
that assessment.

The Law is the sum total of all that expresses the mind, will, and character
of God, whether written or spoken. Anything God says to do, whether in His
Word or by His Spirit, is a law. It is also the righteous standard of perfection
that He has prepared for us and which will be ours when the divine plan
has been completed.

The manner in which we must attain to that perfection is the subject of the
Covenants. The Old Covenant set forth the path in terms of man's vow and
determination to conform his actions to the law's righteous standard. It was
based upon man's will and man's ability to fulfill his good intentions as
expressed by his vow to be obedient and conform to God's will (Ex. 19:8).

The problem is that man was unable to fulfill his vow, regardless of how
good his intention was. This is because since Adam, death (or mortality)
has been infused into us, and this spiritual disease is an inherent
weakness that causes us to sin. Hence, Romans 5:12 says (literal transl.),
"and so death passed into all men, ON WHICH all sin."

For this reason, Paul says also, "all have sinned and fall short of the
glory of God" (Rom. 3:23).

We sin because we are mortal. Our determination NOT to sin is all well
and good, and certainly we should all do what we can to buffet our
bodies and restrain them from carrying out the works and intents of the
flesh. However, such human effort cannot succeed in the end. It can go
far in causing us to do good, but it can never perfect the flesh.

In other words, the flesh can never be perfected by means of human
effort. Many well-meaning people have tried, and many have been
pronounced "saints" for their efforts. I applaud them as well. But if you
were able to ask any of them at the end of their lives if they had been
perfected, they would have cried on your shoulder.

The Old Covenant is the first way by which we attempt to come into
perfection. God ordained it in the days of Moses, not because it would
succeed, but so that we would finally see that this was an impossibility.
Israel as a nation shows us the example of failure throughout the Old
Testament time.

But the law also spoke of a New Covenant, and the prophet Jeremiah
defined it more fully than any other in Jer. 31. Under this Covenant, the
responsibility to bring us into perfection would rest upon God's
shoulders, and not be dependent upon man's will and ability. God
would work from the inside and write His law upon our hearts. He
would work by His Spirit to change our nature, our being, our character.
This was in direct contrast to the conditions of the Old Covenant,
whereby the law was given on external tablets of stone and imposed
upon man to discipline him from the outside.

These Covenants, then, are the two ways to perfection. One works, the
other does not. The primary difference between these Covenants is
WHO is responsible to bring us into perfection. Is it God or is it man?
Is perfection dependent upon the will of man, or upon the will of God?
Is it dependent upon man's ability to perform his vow to God, or is it
dependent upon God's ability to perform His own will in us?

The Law itself remains the same in both cases, because the Law is
the righteous standard that expresses the mind and character of God.
The two covenants treat the law differently, however. The Old Covenant
writes the law on stone tablets and is given to us externally. We read it,
try to understand it, and then conform our lives to it to the best of our
ability. The Old Covenant method attempts to change inner character
by outward actions.

The New Covenant writes the law on the tablets of our hearts, working
inwardly to change our character. As our character is changed, so is
our behavior (or actions). The New Covenant method changes our
outward actions by altering our hearts by the power of the Spirit.

In either case, the law itself is not the problem. The problem is man's
inability to conform to the character and will of God by his own strength.

My main point here is to say that the law is the expressed character
of God, while the Covenants show the manner in which that character
of God is imparted to mankind. Both Covenants involve the law, but
the New Covenant is the only way in which the goal can be achieved.

Logabe

fivesense

Mar 7, 2010
WI
I have been told in the past that there is no difference between the Law
and the Old Covenant, and that when the Old Covenant became obsolete,
so did the Law itself. I'm sure it is plain to most of you that I disagree with
that assessment.

My main point here is to say that the law is the expressed character
of God, while the Covenants show the manner in which that character
of God is imparted to mankind. Both Covenants involve the law, but
the New Covenant is the only way in which the goal can be achieved.

Logabe

Logabe, you are not alone in your assesment of the law, I fully concur and support what you surmise. It is confirmed by the recorded Word of God. The idea of perfection taking place outside the operation of God's direct sufficiency is proven to be absurd throughout the Scriptures. It will only be when He has made it so, that it will be so. Our being fully aware of it, and in full appreciation of the same, will be at the consummation of all things when the Son has abdicated His kingdom rule, and subjects Himself as well to the Father, that His Father may be All-in-al ( 1C 15:28 )
I bring to the attention of the all a passage that indicates the heart of God for us concerning His light to the nations.

Howbeit for this cause I obtained mercy, that in me first Jesus Christ might shew forth all longsuffering, for a pattern to them
which should hereafter believe on him to life everlasting. 1Ti 1:16

Paul (Saul of Tarsus) was in his own understanding of himself, an ideal Jewish example. Yet he was terribly evil, with no one near him in comparison as a sinner (1Tim 1:13). Outside the land of promise, away from the Holy City, this Jew obtained mercy and salvation while he was intent on destroying the ecclesia. He did not choose of his own "free will" to "receive Christ", no, he was stopped dead in his tracks by the unveiling of Christ to his very eyes, an event that blinded him for days, and responded to that uninvited intrusion into his life the same way as the rest of us have-subjection to the revealed Christ of God. This is the common thread that binds God's elect. God revealing to our hearts' eyes the presence of His Son in us.

The work of salvation has been performed in us by the faith of Christ given to every man, the measure accorded as He purposes. It began in Him, was placed in us, and confirmed by the Spirit. We had no choice in the matter, being merely the recipients of the greatest of graces ever given to men. All who decide they had a say in the matter are deluded and do not understand God's ways. And the continuation in grace and faith, holding on to the gift and bearing fruits, is the achievement of the Holy One, not ourselves. He reveals Himself as our obvious choice in all things, and will work all things together for the good of us through His discipline and leading us to choosing those things that please Him.

Should we decide we are more knowledgable the He is in obtaining that which pleases the Father, we fall from grace. We no longer are trusting Him and have forgotten it is He, not we, that sanctify ourselves. If the Lord is not the Builder, then in vain do the workers labor. We may put off the evils that lurk within our hearts by mimicking the Jews and practicing religious ordinances, but eventually He will uncover that which hinders us in conforming us to His image, for that is His goal. Self-righteousness, and religious thinking are impediment to a spirit-filled life. No work of the flesh will ever please God, for it must be Him in all things and in all ways, or it is not for His glory, it is for our own.

Paul never refers to "the new covenant" as did the Lord in the Gospel accounts. What we have obtained is indeed "a new covenant." It is not the Covenant of Jeremiah 31:44, which God most assuredly certifies as Jewish with naming very names, but a spiritual one, with a whole new created humanity involved, in glorified bodies, heavenly, deathless, no longer corruptible. The New Covenant is earthly, Israel led and Jerusalem based, ruled over by the Twelve. Our ruler is One, with Jew and Gentile as one Body, one spirit, one humanity. The difference between the two are enormous and recorded in the Scriptures. Yet note this, not a single Hebrew writer outside of Paul mentions our allotment in Christ. Paul was commissioned to the nations alone. He did not share the Gospel of the Lord outside the sphere of Israel; his was the Gospel of grace to the nations, and he never preached the Lords evangel to any but the Jews, as will be seen in following his activities in Acts.

My points may be hairspitting to some, yet it is the precision of the vocabulary of God that brings this forth. Still, I remind us all of the injucntion that "cursed is everyone that continues not in ALL the things which are written in the law to do" That curse is the veil of separation from the holiest One, and the light He is seeking to instill in us through His power, to renew our minds in receptivity and faith-obdience.

Once again logabe, you have performed a faithful service to us and God by supplying to us your appreciation and realization of Who He is. May your presentation and grace be imitated by us to His glory.

fivesense

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina

[font="tahoma][size="2"]The Law is the sum total of all that expresses the mind, will, and character
of God, whether written or spoken. Anything God says to do, whether in His
Word or by His Spirit, is a law. It is also the righteous standard of perfection
that He has prepared for us and which will be ours when the divine plan
has been completed.
[font="tahoma] [/font]
[/size]

Logabe, Tis possible I'm wrong here but the law was the sum total expression of God to Israel through Moses and as interpreted by appointed judges but now it is the Word, the Son of God. To me the later is much more clear, precise and defining.

The law was the seal of God's covenant with Israel and HolySpirit is the seal of God's covenant with us today.
smile.gif

Follower

Oct 1, 2008
In a recent discussion at Bible study we considered which of the 600+ laws from the Books of Law are applicable to Christians. Many felt that only the 10 commandments applied. The more I study the lessons in the Gospel of Matthew, the more I think perhaps we are subject to most of the laws - excluding blood sacrifice laws which were fulfilled by the great sacrifice of our Lord Jesus Christ.

I agree with your observation. Christians should follow the law. Jesus fulfilled the ceremonial law making animal sacrifices redundant, or even an insult to God when God has already provided the perfect sacrifice. This also applies to the clean and unclean regulations. In Christ, everything in made clean.

Paul says we are not under the law. But, the only way to make this consistent with the context, including Paul's own teachings, is that he means we are not under the penalty of the law. Something does not cease to be wrong just because your violation will not be used against you. It is still wrong to break the law.

jerryjohnson

Nov 6, 2009
I agree with your observation. Christians should follow the law. Jesus fulfilled the ceremonial law making animal sacrifices redundant, or even an insult to God when God has already provided the perfect sacrifice. This also applies to the clean and unclean regulations. In Christ, everything in made clean.

I am not sure if you are applying this to the food laws or not? They aren't, unclean food is still unclean. Christ's death and resurrection did not give swine sweat glands or change the feeding habits of certain types of animals, birds and fish. These animals are still unclean and will make people sick.

fivesense

Mar 7, 2010
WI

Paul says we are not under the law. But, the only way to make this consistent with the context, including Paul's own teachings, is that he means we are not under the penalty of the law. Something does not cease to be wrong just because your violation will not be used against you. It is still wrong to break the law.

My suggestion to you, Follower, is to re-read Paul's letter to the Galatians. In it you will find that what you believe and what Paul has said concerning Law, even if it was the religion of Jesus, are at odds. He never mentioned what you are saying, that we are not under the penalty of the law, yet still under the law. Cursed is the one who seeks to keep even one part of the law, for then he is obligated to keep the entire thing.

For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written,
Cursed [is] every one that continueth not in
all things which are written in the book of the law to do them. Ga 3:10

And the law is not of faith: but, The man that doeth them shall live in them. Ga 3:12

Is it too hard to believe God, that neither you nor I can do right, or live right, without the power of God aiding us? Do you imagine that there is any good thing in you other than Christ's Spirit? If it is God Who is working in us both to will and to do of His good pleasure, how is it you can possibly think that the Law in any way assists in being righteous before God, Who has already justified us and glorified us? Is this not nonesense, this minding of the dead letter instead of the Christ Who has ransomed us out of the jurisdiction of darkness? Do you not see how it dishonors the Christ, and His sacrifice, and His election and calling, when we somehow think that the Law or the Commandments are more excellent than the power and sealing He has performed in us? This is insanity, totally outside the mind of Christ. It is Judaism to the very core, and smacks of the maimcision.

I would suggest that those who insist that the Law is for today, even as a standard, are using such thinking to justify themselves as did the Pharisees. If they could keep the fleshly commands and the Rabbinic extensions, then the were good people, in no need of salvation, and deserving of the promises of the covenant that were long overdue. They were certain they were just within themselves. What they truly were were proud and hypocritical religionists. The modern church is swelling with the same types today. All those who put stock in the Ten Commandments and believe they do well for observing it, and who refuse to rely on the Living God for all things, are under a curse, they have fallen from grace. The All-Sufficient One is insufficient for their egos, so they seek to keep a yardstick in front of their eyes to measure themselves and others, and judge thereby. It is pathetic.

And [that] he died for all, that they which live should not henceforth live unto themselves, but unto him which died for them, and rose again.
Wherefore henceforth know we no man after the flesh: yea, though we have known Christ after the flesh, yet now henceforth know we [him] no more.

Therefore if any man [be] in Christ, [he is] a new creation: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new. 2C 5:15-17

And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful Re 21:5

It's not about reforming or regulating the old humanity according to Law, it is about allowing and yielding to the Spirit that Christ may have the acclaim for the work He has done in us while we have lived on earth. There can be no workmanship in a vessel that intends on setting its own standard, instead of being led by the Spirit of Christ.
fivesense

Follower

Oct 1, 2008
My suggestion to you, Follower, is to re-read Paul's letter to the Galatians. In it you will find that what you believe and what Paul has said concerning Law, even if it was the religion of Jesus, are at odds. He never mentioned what you are saying, that we are not under the penalty of the law, yet still under the law. Cursed is the one who seeks to keep even one part of the law, for then he is obligated to keep the entire thing.

You have turned upside down a very clear and important passage of scripture. It does not say "Cursed is the one who seeks to keep even one part of the law..." It says, cursed is anyone who does not keep all the law. Why have you done such a thing?

Is this not nonesense, this minding of the dead letter instead of the Christ Who has ransomed us out of the jurisdiction of darkness?

Jesus did not ransom us from the "jurisdiction of darkness" but from "the sins committed under the first covenant", that is, to pay the penalty for our breaking of the law. If the law is void, then Jesus' sacrifice pays for nothing. If you do not accept Jesus' sacrifice for your transgressions of the law, then no salvation is available to you.

fivesense

Mar 7, 2010
WI
You have turned upside down a very clear and important passage of scripture. It does not say "Cursed is the one who seeks to keep even one part of the law..." It says, cursed is anyone who does not keep all the law. Why have you done such a thing?

Jesus did not ransom us from the "jurisdiction of darkness" but from "the sins committed under the first covenant", that is, to pay the penalty for our breaking of the law. If the law is void, then Jesus' sacrifice pays for nothing. If you do not accept Jesus' sacrifice for your transgressions of the law, then no salvation is available to you.

For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one [point], he is guilty of all. Ja 2:10

Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated [us] into the kingdom of his dear Son: Col 1:13

Who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time 1Ti 2:6

What is the difference? Does making whole law-keeping and failing any different over and above the extent of law-keeping? The curse is upon any attempt to retain law-keeping as a way towards justification or righteousness, in place of the gratuity of salvation by faith in the Cross of Christ. Sematics does not preclude the fundemental truth, that the law meets out death and separation for the ones called out in grace and election.

It is truth that we were slaves to sin, bound to the wicked one, and servants to bodily appetites. The work of the Lord was to undo what the enemy had done, and it was successful. Those who do not see that they were allied with Satan prior to His call, do not realize the lost condition they were in, then indeed, ransom means nothing.
fivesense

Follower

Oct 1, 2008
What is the difference? Does making whole law-keeping and failing any different over and above the extent of law-keeping? The curse is upon any attempt to retain law-keeping as a way towards justification or righteousness, in place of the gratuity of salvation by faith in the Cross of Christ. Sematics does not preclude the fundemental truth, that the law meets out death and separation for the ones called out in grace and election.

You are still directly misrepresenting scripture, even after your error has been pointed out. The verse (Ga3:10) you refer to does not say there is a curse for attempting to keep any of the law. It says there is a curse for failing to keep all of the law. Why do you continue in this misrepresentation?

What difference does it make? If you are ever in court, tell the judge that the law is void because you can't keep all the law. Tell him that the real crime is attempting of follow any of the law. See if you aren't laughed into a cell.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
You are still directly misrepresenting scripture, even after your error has been pointed out. The verse (Ga3:10) you refer to does not say there is a curse for attempting to keep any of the law. It says there is a curse for failing to keep all of the law. Why do you continue in this misrepresentation?

What difference does it make? If you are ever in court, tell the judge that the law is void because you can't keep all the law. Tell him that the real crime is attempting of follow any of the law. See if you aren't laughed into a cell.

Does Canadian law have any jurisdiction in an American court?

JarBreaker

Apr 6, 2010
Matt. 7:23
And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Iniquity, lawlessness, antinomian = WITHOUT LAW

brionne

May 31, 2010
Australia

it seems to me that Galatians 3:10 is saying that those who continue to "rely on works of law" are under a curse becaues the mosaic law states "cursed is the one who does not perform works of law"

The christians had been set free from that curse of law....yet some christians thought they should still be following the mosaic law. Paul was trying to show them that if they do that they will continue to be cursed because thats what the mosiac law was....a curse. Galatians 5:1, 4

JarBreaker

Apr 6, 2010
....yet some christians thought they should still be following the mosaic law.

These were the earliest followers, how many times do you see paul speaking of needing to get to jerusalem so as to attend one of the moedim.

We got 2 extremes, messiah spoke against how pharisetical thinking "built a fence around the torah" ... this is all the added talmud and other writings, EXPLAINING HOW to keep the torah ... the law is not grievious or burdensome but when you have OTHER MEN telling you all these other (manmade) laws must be observed or you arent correctly following law as written in the torah ... THIS is the letter of the law.

The other extreme is where we are now ... throw the baby out with the bathwater, dont keep it at all and dont study how it shows us a picture of Him all through the old testament.

brionne

May 31, 2010
Australia
The other extreme is where we are now ... throw the baby out with the bathwater, dont keep it at all and dont study how it shows us a picture of Him all through the old testament.

im certainly not saying that we should throw it out...if it wasnt beneficial for us to know, God would not have kept it in the hebrew scriptures for us to see

but what i'm saying is that our worship of God is not dependent upon our keeping of the regulations set out in the 'mosaic law'...these are the 600 odd laws provided to the isrealites after they left egypt.

There is much of the OT that is very necessary in order to fully understand chrisitanity, and infact the apostles continued to teach aspects of the OT from the prophecies and events surrounding certain individuals in order to teach christians Gods truth. So yes we certainly need the OT to understand christianity. But we are not required to continue to follow the mosaic laws as set out by Moses.

Follower

Oct 1, 2008
it seems to me that Galatians 3:10 is saying that those who continue to "rely on works of law" are under a curse becaues the mosaic law states "cursed is the one who does not perform works of law"

Of course, what Gal3:10 means is that to be saved apart from Jesus, you must keep all the law because the penalty of breaking the law is death. It is illogical to conclude that Jesus voided the law because a voided law has no penalty to be paid. Jesus paid the penalty with his death.

The christians had been set free from that curse of law....yet some christians thought they should still be following the mosaic law. Paul was trying to show them that if they do that they will continue to be cursed because thats what the mosiac law was....a curse. Galatians 5:1, 4

Yes, free from the curse of the law, which is death. Not free from the law itself. Paul is showing the necessity of Christ. Christians follow the law. As new creatures in Christ, we follow the law by nature.

Romans 3:31
Do we, then, nullify the law by this faith? Not at all! Rather, we uphold the law.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
Of course, what Gal3:10 means is that to be saved apart from Jesus, you must keep all the law because the penalty of breaking the law is death. It is illogical to conclude that Jesus voided the law because a voided law has no penalty to be paid. Jesus paid the penalty with his death.

Yes, free from the curse of the law, which is death. Not free from the law itself. Paul is showing the necessity of Christ. Christians follow the law. As new creatures in Christ, we follow the law by nature.

Do we, then, nullify the law by this faith? Not at all! Rather, we uphold the law.

And we who are born of the Holy Spirit are persecuted by those who want us to keep the law, just as Isaac, the child of promise, was persecuted by Ishmael, the son of the slave-wife. Gal.4:29

But when you are directed by the Holy Spirit, you are no longer subject to the law. Gal. 5:18

But now we have been released from the law, for we died with Christ, and we are no longer captive to its power. Now we can really serve God, not in the old way by obeying the letter of the law, but in the new way, by the Spirit. Romans 7:6

Christians should follow HolySpirit.
smile.gif

brionne

May 31, 2010
Australia

when you say 'all the law' are you refering to the 600 Law's Moses laid down that is called the 'Mosaic Law' ?

If thats the law you are talking about then can you list the laws that you continue to apply?

If you keep reading thru Romans you come to Romans 8:2,3,4,5,6,7,8 Romans 6:14

the context of what Paul is refering to Law appears to be the 'law of Gods spirit' which is opposed to the 'law of the flesh'

He isnt talking about the mosaic law code at all if you look at the context.

And we who are born of the Holy Spirit are persecuted by those who want us to keep the law, just as Isaac, the child of promise, was persecuted by Ishmael, the son of the slave-wife. Gal.4:29

But when you are directed by the Holy Spirit, you are no longer subject to the law. Gal. 5:18

But now we have been released from the law, for we died with Christ, and we are no longer captive to its power. Now we can really serve God, not in the old way by obeying the letter of the law, but in the new way, by the Spirit. Romans 7:6

smile.gif

Oh great, im not misreading galatians and romans. I also conclude that it is refering to the 'law of the spirit' as opposed to the mosaic law code.

Follower

Oct 1, 2008

Jews (represented by Ishmael) didn't persecutes Christians (represented by Isaac) by trying to make us follow the law. Jews persecuted Christians by trying to kill them.

Of course, Paul is making the case that we are free. But, this freedom comes from Jesus paying our penalty. We can use this freedom to sin, or not. We can break the law because the penalty has been paid, not because the law has been voided. However, if we chose to indulge in breaking the law, then we are not following the Spirit which is contrary to the nature of a Christian.

The context of Gal 5:18 is that if we indulge in breaking the law, then we are not being led by the Spirit.

The context: 5For when we were controlled by the sinful nature, the sinful passions aroused by the law were at work in our bodies, so that we bore fruit for death. 6But now, by dying to what once bound us, we have been released from the law so that we serve in the new way of the Spirit, and not in the old way of the written code. 7What shall we say, then? Is the law sin? Certainly not! Indeed I would not have known what sin was except through the law.

You break the law, you are sinning. The new way is following the Spirit to avoid breaking the law. The old way is directly avoiding breaking the law. This has the advantage of keeping the spirit of the law and not just the word (as the Pharisees).

smile.gif

That is true. But, the Holy Spirit does not lead us to break the law.