Moses

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So, it seems to say in one place that God told Moses to strike the rock, but in another it says God told him to speak to the rock. We know God got upset with Moses and Moses didn’t get to enter the promised land while he lived on earth, because of what happened.

I’ve always wondered exactly what God was upset with. Then I found Psalm 106 the other morning, and it helps explain it. It says: They angered God at the waters of strife( this is the waters of Masseh/testing and Meribah/quarreling). So where they were tested in their trust, they quarreled and complained. If that doesn’t describe me through my testing of trust I don’t know what!

So, “They angered God at the waters of strife so that it went ill with Moses on account of them; Because they rebelled against His Spirit, so that he spoke rashly with his lips.”

Now, if both accounts are translated well, we could say he was told: to strike the rock and speak to the rock. Then, he struck it twice rather than once AND didn’t speak to it but instead spoke to the people. So he mangled the instructions he was given pretty badly.

Each account gives a part of the instruction, but we at least know from psalm 106 that he spoke rashly with his lips.

We know what has poured forth from the Rock for us and that the rock in the desert portrays Jesus. And we are now to speak to the Rock, but we act rashly in this and want instead to speak to men and have them explain it all to us in our cranky impatience.

Moses came back and got it right! He spoke to the Rock at the transfiguration. And when he spoke with the rock there, the Rock glowed with the same glow that was on Moses face long before, when he climbed the mountain to speak with God. So he spoke to the Rock, the Rock glowed/transformed, then the rock was struck and lifegiving water poured from the Rock. So both accounts are accurate and each gives a piece of Moses’ instruction.

That led me to drag out my concordance to look up Horeb and Sinai for the mountain Moses went up, but there was no help in the concordance. Then I googled and found Horeb is thought to mean “glowing heat,” because of the burning bush and the flames and flashes on the mountain there in Horeb. And it seemed good to me because Moses face was filled with that glowing and then Jesus also glowed.

Last edited:

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh, and I also saw this: Mount Horeb/Sinai is the mountain of God and the rock in Horeb was the rock cut out of the bigger mountain, but not by human hands, that Daniel saw.

Last edited:

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I love this!

So many times we go to people to give us something from God when we could be going to God ourselves!

we are a bit like…a child who can’t wait to drive a car. We have to first be exercised in trust and grow unwavering in trust in any circumstance and in the temporal before He can begin to tell us about heavenly things.

Reactions: Nancy

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So, it seems to say in one place that God told Moses to strike the rock, but in another it says God told him to speak to the rock. We know God got upset with Moses and Moses didn’t get to enter the promised land while he lived on earth, because of what happened.

I’ve always wondered exactly what God was upset with. Then I found Psalm 106 the other morning, and it helps explain it. It says: They angered God at the waters of strife( this is the waters of Masseh/testing and Meribah/quarreling). So where they were tested in their trust, they quarreled and complained. If that doesn’t describe me through my testing of trust I don’t know what!

So, “They angered God at the waters of strife so that it went ill with Moses on account of them; Because they rebelled against His Spirit, so that he spoke rashly with his lips.”

Now, if both accounts are translated well, we could say he was told: to strike the rock and speak to the rock. Then, he struck it twice rather than once AND didn’t speak to it but instead spoke to the people. So he mangled the instructions he was given pretty badly.

Each account gives a part of the instruction, but we at least know from psalm 106 that he spoke rashly with his lips.

We know what has poured forth from the Rock for us and that the rock in the desert portrays Jesus. And we are now to speak to the Rock, but we act rashly in this and want instead to speak to men and have them explain it all to us in our cranky impatience.

Moses came back and got it right! He spoke to the Rock at the transfiguration. And when he spoke with the rock there, the Rock glowed with the same glow that was on Moses face long before, when he climbed the mountain to speak with God. So he spoke to the Rock, the Rock glowed/transformed, then the rock was struck and lifegiving water poured from the Rock. So both accounts are accurate and each gives a piece of Moses’ instruction.

That led me to drag out my concordance to look up Horeb and Sinai for the mountain Moses went up, but there was no help in the concordance. Then I googled and found Horeb is thought to mean “glowing heat,” because of the burning bush and the flames and flashes on the mountain there in Horeb. And it seemed good to me because Moses face was filled with that glowing and then Jesus also glowed.

As you said, we know from the NT that the rock is symbolic of Jesus.

“And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ” (I Corinthians 10:4).

Striking the rock represents Jesus on the cross being struck for our sins, and living water pouring out.

And Jesus said He gives us living water that pours forth out of our bellies. John 4:10 and John 7:38

Exodus 17:6 is symbolic of the Lord Jesus Christ being smitten once on the cross, producing life-giving waters of salvation for us.

Moses speaking to the rock (Numbers 20:11) was to represent the risen, ascended Christ, who is seated at the throne of grace, to whom we now, as believers, but speak, in order to receive daily, fresh grace.

Moses sinned by completely spoiling the symbolism, by striking the rock instead of speaking to it, thus symbolically crucifying Jesus again.

I forget who I First heard preaching about that, but I passed it on to you, which was the one piece of the puzzle that you need.

Last edited:
Reactions: TLHKAJ

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh, and I also saw this: Mount Horeb/Sinai is the mountain of God and the rock in Horeb was the rock cut out of the bigger mountain, but not by human hands, that Daniel saw.
That reminded me of the tables of stone that God gave to Moses, written with the finger of God.

Exo 24:12 And the LORD said unto Moses, Come up to me into the mount, and be there: and I will give thee tables of stone, and a law, and commandments which I have written; that thou mayest teach them.
Deu 9:10 And the LORD delivered unto me two tables of stone written with the finger of God; and on them was written according to all the words, which the LORD spake with you in the mount out of the midst of the fire in the day of the assembly.
Luk 20:17 And he beheld them, and said, What is this then that is written, The stone which the builders rejected, the same is become the head of the corner?

thinking...
Hugs

Reactions: stunnedbygrace

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That reminded me of the tables of stone that God gave to Moses, written with the finger of God.

Exo 24:12 And the LORD said unto Moses, Come up to me into the mount, and be there: and I will give thee tables of stone, and a law, and commandments which I have written; that thou mayest teach them.
Deu 9:10 And the LORD delivered unto me two tables of stone written with the finger of God; and on them was written according to all the words, which the LORD spake with you in the mount out of the midst of the fire in the day of the assembly.
Luk 20:17 And he beheld them, and said, What is this then that is written, The stone which the builders rejected, the same is become the head of the corner?

thinking...
Hugs
A rock of offense and a stone of stumbling…

Reactions: Ziggy

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

We believe it was because Moses asked the people, do we have to get water from this rock clarified later at Numbers 20:10, instead of giving God the credit.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We believe it was because Moses asked the people, do we have to get water from this rock clarified later at Numbers 20:10, instead of giving God the credit.

This reminded me of the story yesterday about the Catholic Church invalidating many baptisms over many decades because a priest had always said “we” instead of “I” baptize you in the name of, etc.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

very helpful and encouraging. Thank you for sharing! All of the above makes me think of “but then face to face” what you shared concerning “He spoke to the Rock at the transfiguration. And when he spoke with the rock there, the Rock glowed with the same glow that was on Moses face long before,”

also makes me think of James 1:23-25 with
Exodus 3:3-6 And Moses said, I will now turn aside, and see this great sight, why the bush is not burnt. [4] And when the Lord saw that he turned aside to see, God called unto him out of the midst of the bush, and said, Moses, Moses. And he said, Here am I. [5] And he said, Draw not nigh hither: put off thy shoes from off thy feet, for the place whereon thou stand is holy ground. [6] Moreover he said, I am the God of thy father, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob. And Moses hid his face; for he was afraid to look upon God.

2 Corinthians 3:13-18 And not as Moses, which put a vail over his face, that the children of Israel could not stedfastly look to the end of that which is abolished: [14] But their minds were blinded: for until this day remains the same vail untaken away in the reading of the old testament; which vail is done away in Christ. [15] But even unto this day, when Moses is read, the vail is upon their heart. [16] Nevertheless when it shall turn to the Lord, the vail shall be taken away. [17] Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. [18] But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord.

Love Proverbs 27:19

Concerning “that the children of Israel could not stedfastly look to the end of that which is abolished:
Both your topics seem to connect together Psalm 119:96 I have seen an end of all perfection…
Yet “where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.” 1 Corinthians 13:8, 1 Corinthians 13:12-13

Reactions: stunnedbygrace

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This reminded me of the story yesterday about the Catholic Church invalidating many baptisms over many decades because a priest had always said “we” instead of “I” baptize you in the name of, etc.

We or I should be inconsequential in that situation maam, in Moses case it was because he gave the credit for extracting water from the rock to himself and Aaron, rather than to Jehovah. Those who baptize have no spiritual connection to the baptized one, it is between them and God, although not spiritually necessary, an individual to baptize is definitely needed, as far as I know every recorded baptism in the Bible had someone doing the baptizing.