Mother of James?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
no you do not, there is no guarantee of that to you, you may have light and truth from the HS but only if you submit and obey Peter and the apostles and their successors, only they have the guarantee of the HS to be free from error!
Jn 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

Jesus Christ continues HIS ministry in His new covenant church thru Peter, the apostles, and their successors with the same mission, power, and authority!
Mt 16:18 Mt 28:19 Acts 1:17 acts 8:31 & 35 Lk 10:16 Jn 8:32 Jn 13:20 Jn 15:5 Jn 16:13 Jn 20:21-22 eph 2:20

Teaching authority of the Apostles and their successors in the church founded in the one true founded by Jesus Christ!

Jesus Christ is the head of the church, (eph 5:23) the body of Christ,
(col 1:18) the new and eternal covenant, (pre-figured Jer 31:31) (Heb 8:8) new covenant replaces the Mosaic covenant, (Heb 8:13) Christ replaces David as king, (Lk 1:32-33) Jesus Christ is the only mediator between God and men, (1 Tim 2:5 & Heb 12:24) but a mediator remains on earth mediating between God and His people, but Christ ascended to heaven, (acts 1) before He did He founded His church, on Peter, and the apostles, and their successors!
Mt 16:18 Mt 28:19 Acts 1:17 acts 2:42 acts 8:31 & 35 Lk 10:16 Jn 8:32 Jn 13:20 Jn 16:13
Jn 20:21-22 eph 2:20

We must be taught by Peter, the apostles, and their successors! Lk 10:16 Matt 28:19 Jn 21:17

Matt 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

Lk 1:4 That thou mightest know the certainty of those things, wherein thou hast been instructed.

Acts 8:30 And Philip ran thither to him, and heard him read the prophet Esaias, and said, Understandest thou what thou readest?

31 And he said, How can I, except some man should guide me? And he desired Philip that he would come up and sit with him.

Col 2:7 Rooted and built up in him, and stablished in the faith, as ye have been taught, abounding therein with thanksgiving.

————————-

The obedience of faith!

Rom 1:5 By whom we have received grace and apostleship, for obedience to the faith among all nations, for his name.

Taught the one true faith revealed by Christ to His apostles! Eph 4:5 Jude 1:3

Spiritual Fathers have care for our souls!

Acts 20:28 Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.

Jn 21:17 feed my sheep:

Heb 13:17 Obey them that have the rule over you, and submit yourselves: for they care for your souls, as they that must give account, that they may do it with joy, and not with grief: for that is unprofitable for you.

1 Tim 1:2 Unto Timothy, my own son in the faith: Grace, mercy, and peace, from God our Father and Jesus Christ our Lord.

Gal 4:19 My little children, of whom I travail in birth again until Christ be formed in you

1 John 2
My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not.

That makes Paul and John spiritual fathers, pastors of our souls!
We should all read our bibles prayerfully and with the guidance of the Holy Spirit. Not just rely on somebody else to tell us what the scriptures mean. Why do you think we shouldn't? Don't you rely on the Holy Spirit working either in your own life to guide you into the meaning of scriptures or to guide others so that they can teach truth?

John 14:26
But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.

Last edited:

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Pearl,

Previously you said you prefer to stick with the clear truth of the bible and not rely on another mans interpretation.....You rely on yourself.

Your statement that Mary was an ordinary girl is NOT sticking with the truth of the bible. Scripture clearly says that she found favor with God, was highly favoured, blessed among women and that all generations will call her blessed. You need to really understand that those descriptors of her make it clear that she was not an ordinary girl by any stretch of the imagination. What you are saying about Mary is a post Reformation teaching taught by men 1,500 years after the death of Christ. Or by reading Scripture did you come to your own conclusion on the "ordinary girl" theory?

Bible Study Mary
I rely on the Holy Spirit Mary. How do you view the Holy Spirit?

Last edited:

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Good Morning Pearl,

I am really curious about your train of thought on this matter. To me what you are saying is not logical. You do know that the books in our current Bible was not completely agreed until almost 400 years AFTER the death of Christ soooooo how did the Christians for the first 400 years of Christianity read their bibles when everyone disagreed on what the bible (Scripture) was???? We still disagree today....

Also, most people were illiterate and couldn't read in the first 400 years sooooooo how were they "meant to read" since they couldn't read??

Also, the bible was not available to the general population until the invention of the printing press which was 1,400 years AFTER the death of Christ soooooo along with illiteracy for the first 1,400 years of Christianity AND no bible to read how were those Christians "meant to read" their bibles and "be open to the word"??

If the Holy Spirit is guiding you into one truth and me into a different truth...which one is The Truth? Multiply that by 2 billion "truths" and "the truth" can be very confusing.....:rolleyes:

Curious Mary
i still prefer the bible to false doctrine.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I rely on the Holy Spirit Mary. How do you view the Holy Spirit?
Hey Pearl....Martin Luther, Andreas Rudolph Bodenstein von Karlstadt, Philip Melanchthon, Huldrych Zwingli, etc. ALSO relied on the Holy Spirit. They all had different interpretations of Scripture. Soooo your theory that you can rely on the Holy Spirit to come to the truth isn't logical and not even backed up by Scripture.

I view the Holy Spirit as guiding the men of The Church into the Truth since the church is the pillar and foundation of truth (1 timothy 3:15) and The Church decides who is going to be treated as a pagan/tax collector. Notice how those passage don't say YOU decide or that YOU are the pillar and foundation of truth? Scripture doesn't even say that Scripture is the pillar and foundation of truth or that Scripture decides who is to be treated as a pagan/tax collector.

How did you come to believe/practice opposite of what Scripture teaches?

Bible Study Mary

PS...are you going to at least TRY to debunk or debate the points I made in that post?

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i still prefer the bible to false doctrine.
As all Christians should. Since you know what false doctrine is you must know what true doctrine is. How do you come to the conclusion what true doctrine is? Are you infallible?

Curious Mary

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We should all read our bibles prayer fully and with the guidance of the Holy Spirit. Not just rely on somebody else to tell us what the scriptures mean. Why do you think we shouldn't? Don't you rely on the Holy Spirit working either in your own life to guide you into the meaning of scriptures or to guide others so that they can teach truth?

But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.

Acts 8 you have the eunuch reading the Bible and spirit sent him an apostle

How does the eunuch know about baptism is Philip preached Jesus?

how can I unless a man guide me?

Acts 8

5 Then Philip went down to the city of Samaria, and preached Christ unto them.
(Baptism)

6 And the people with one accord gave heed unto those things which Philip spake, hearing and seeing the miracles which he did.

12 But when they believed Philip preaching the things concerning the kingdom of God, and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women.

26 And the angel of the Lord spake unto Philip, saying, Arise, and go toward the south unto the way that goeth down from Jerusalem unto Gaza, which is desert.

27 And he arose and went: and, behold, a man of Ethiopia, an eunuch of great authority under Candace queen of the Ethiopians, who had the charge of all her treasure, and had come to Jerusalem for to worship,

28 Was returning, and sitting in his chariot read Esaias the prophet.

29 Then the Spirit said unto Philip, Go near, and join thyself to this chariot.

30 And Philip ran thither to him, and heard him read the prophet Esaias, and said, Understandest thou what thou readest?

31 And he said, How can I, except some man should guide me? And he desired Philip that he would come up and sit with him.

32 The place of the scripture which he read was this, He was led as a sheep to the slaughter; and like a lamb dumb before his shearer, so opened he not his mouth:

33 In his humiliation his judgment was taken away: and who shall declare his generation? for his life is taken from the earth.

34 And the eunuch answered Philip, and said, I pray thee, of whom speaketh the prophet this? of himself, or of some other man?

35 Then Philip opened his mouth, and began at the same scripture, and preached unto him Jesus.

36 And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized?

37 And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.

38 And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Acts 8 you have the eunuch reading the Bible and spirit sent him an apostle

How does the eunuch know about baptism is Philip preached Jesus?

how can I unless a man guide me?

Acts 8

5 Then Philip went down to the city of Samaria, and preached Christ unto them.
(Baptism)

6 And the people with one accord gave heed unto those things which Philip spake, hearing and seeing the miracles which he did.

12 But when they believed Philip preaching the things concerning the kingdom of God, and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women.

26 And the angel of the Lord spake unto Philip, saying, Arise, and go toward the south unto the way that goeth down from Jerusalem unto Gaza, which is desert.

27 And he arose and went: and, behold, a man of Ethiopia, an eunuch of great authority under Candace queen of the Ethiopians, who had the charge of all her treasure, and had come to Jerusalem for to worship,

28 Was returning, and sitting in his chariot read Esaias the prophet.

29 Then the Spirit said unto Philip, Go near, and join thyself to this chariot.

30 And Philip ran thither to him, and heard him read the prophet Esaias, and said, Understandest thou what thou readest?

32 The place of the scripture which he read was this, He was led as a sheep to the slaughter; and like a lamb dumb before his shearer, so opened he not his mouth:

33 In his humiliation his judgment was taken away: and who shall declare his generation? for his life is taken from the earth.

34 And the eunuch answered Philip, and said, I pray thee, of whom speaketh the prophet this? of himself, or of some other man?

35 Then Philip opened his mouth, and began at the same scripture, and preached unto him Jesus.

36 And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized?

37 And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.

38 And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him.
Lots of scripture there but I can't tell what you're getting at. But I think it's very sad when Christians don't allow the Holy Spirit to work in their lives.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
As all Christians should. Since you know what false doctrine is you must know what true doctrine is. How do you come to the conclusion what true doctrine is? Are you infallible?

Curious Mary
We are all infallible it seems apart from Catholics. But this is a debate that is old hat and gets nobody anywhere. You believe what you believe and I believe what I believe. And I believe that the Catholic church is a cult filled with false doctrines. And I know you believe the opposite - that only the Catholic church has the truth which is taught to you from birth and you are not encourage to find out for yourselves by reading the and studying the scriptures. It's a bit like JWs.

Hugs.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I view the Holy Spirit as guiding the men of The Church into the Truth
Does that not include the women of the Church?

And do you not experience the Holy Spirit in your own life?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
We should all read our bibles prayerfully and with the guidance of the Holy Spirit. Not just rely on somebody else to tell us what the scriptures mean. Why do you think we shouldn't? Don't you rely on the Holy Spirit working either in your own life to guide you into the meaning of scriptures or to guide others so that they can teach truth?

@Pearl Good point, indeed.

Reactions: Pearl

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lots of scripture there but I can't tell what you're getting at. But I think it's very sad when Christians don't allow the Holy Spirit to work in their lives.

Only the apostles have the guarantee of being free from error

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
good morning DNB,

Yup.....According to Scripture Joses and James mother was named Mary ALSO....That is made clear in Mark 15:40!! You are repeating the heretical teaching of Helvidius that was picked up 1,200 years later by men who were radicals in the Reformation!

Mary didn't have a "vow and duty as a wife" to have intercourse. o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O Your theory is opposite of what the bible says. Here is what the bible teaches about it: It is good to abstain from sexual relations. I wish that all were as I myself am. But each has his own gift from God. There are eunuchs who have made themselves eunuchs for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. It is these who have not defiled themselves with women, for they are virgins. It is these who follow the Lamb wherever he goes. These have been redeemed from mankind as first fruits for God and the Lamb, and in their mouth no lie was found, for they are blameless.

Sooooo I have a very simple question for you DNB: Paul calls virginity (abstaining from sex) a "gift from God". Do you believe that God would give Paul that gift and not give Mary, the mother of His child, that gift?

According to your theory having children is a normal part of a married life!! Putting your theory into practice that means that Mary was the wife of God since she bore His child. AND the wife of Joseph since....according to your theory.....she bore the children of Joseph also.

Scripture permits abstention from marital rights by mutual consent. Would it be fair to say if both Mary and Joseph agreed that since she gave birth to the child of God, or that she was in effect the spouse of God, that they would agree NOT to have sexual relations? Do you believe Mary and Joseph did not have enough will power to fulfill that teaching of God?

Scripture makes it clear that celibacy is a higher state than marriage! Is it possible that Mary and Joseph were able to obtain that higher state by not giving into sexual desires?

Mary

sacrificing unto God a lower good (sex) for a higher and greater good (the salvation of the world)

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We are all infallible it seems apart from Catholics. But this is a debate that is old hat and gets nobody anywhere. You believe what you believe and I believe what I believe. And I believe that the Catholic church is a cult filled with false doctrines. And I know you believe the opposite - that only the Catholic church has the truth which is taught to you from birth and you are not encourage to find out for yourselves by reading the and studying the scriptures. It's a bit like JWs.

Hugs.
Ummm....I did and billions of other Catholics/Orthodox did "find out for ourselves by reading the and studying the scriptures". But since what we believe is opposite of what your 500 year teaching believes we will always be wrong and you will always be right unless you tell us we are right.

Sooooo how can Protestantism be infallible when you all believe different things and AGREE with The Church on some things? Your logic makes zero sense kiddo...

BTW...I don't think that Protestantism is a cult and filled with false doctrines sooooo you don't know what I believe. ;)

Mary

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Does that not include the women of the Church?

And do you not experience the Holy Spirit in your own life?
Oh goodness....now your being ridiculous.

Uggg....

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And I believe that the Catholic church is a cult filled with false doctrines. Hugs.
Are the Protestant denominations that have some of the same doctrines as the Catholic Church, that you consider false, cults also? Or are they just misguided Christians since they don't agree with your doctrine?

Can you see how illogical and ridiculous your theories are? ;)

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

That passage from John 14 was meant for the Apostles only. You should read it in context. Putting your theory into practice, that the Advocate will remind every Christian of everything Jesus said from the death of Christ until the end of the ages for thousands of years, is a ludicrous and illogical theory.

2 Peter 3:16

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Even apostles can be wrong sometime. Even popes can. They are all just human men after all.
Do you trust the men who affirmed the 27 books of the NT....that they got it right??

Once again your theories are....well, never mind....you know already.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Ummm....I did and billions of other Catholics/Orthodox did "find out for ourselves by reading the and studying the scriptures". But since what we believe is opposite of what your 500 year teaching believes we will always be wrong and you will always be right unless you tell us we are right.

Sooooo how can Protestantism be infallible when you all believe different things and AGREE with The Church on some things? Your logic makes zero sense kiddo...

BTW...I don't think that Protestantism is a cult and filled with false doctrines sooooo you don't know what I believe. ;)

Mary
What I believe is based on more than 500 years worth of teaching. It goes back to Jesus and even further back as the OT points to Jesus' coming and also we can find many lessons in its pages. I wonder why you would even think that. And the Catholic church was begun by a Roman emperor somewhere around 350 CE.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Oh goodness....now your being ridiculous.

Uggg....
Ridiculous, really? I personally experience the Holy Spirit and so do many of the other ladies on here and in the Church. For it is written:

“And afterward, I will pour out my Spirit on all people. Your sons and daughters will prophesy, your old men will dream dreams, your young men will see visions. Even on my servants, both men and women, I will pour out my Spirit in those days.” Joel 2:28