Mother of James?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Grams

Jul 11, 2017
brown city
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's me again..............

I was catholic for some 50 years and was not saved till I went to a bible church.....

They did not teach salvation as it is........ "Maybe now they do"

But back then , NO ! and did not use a Bible , just the church prayer book !

Sure hope they have changed.........!

Reactions: amadeus

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's me again..............

I was catholic for some 50 years and was not saved till I went to a bible church.....

They did not teach salvation as it is........ "Maybe now they do"

But back then , NO ! and did not use a Bible , just the church prayer book !

Sure hope they have changed.........!
What is the definition of a bible church??

Curious Mary

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
For you to not consider any of that "debatable" is myopic, and asinine...

The secular Law of Israel, also at the time of Our Lady, wanted each woman to be a wife in Israel to bear a son to the Lord, and each man to be given a woman of his own stock. However, the Law did not condemn a married couple for abstaining from intercourse for just reasons, or being sterile/barren. Therefore, one's mere betrothal, and wedding, does not prove they procreated, nor intended to procreate, with their husband/wife.

St. Joseph, and the Blessed Virgin Mary, did not resist the Law. St. Joseph was given, and married, a woman of his own stock: the Blessed Virgin Mary, and they served one another faithfully, and She bore a son to the Lord: Jesus.

You are referring to Lk. 1:36.

There is no word for "cousin" in Aramaic, or Hebrew. The Greek word used in v. 36, "συγγενίς" (syngeneís), means "kinswoman", and there is no reason for it to become the standard when referring to anyone who is a "cousin."

You are referring to Mk. 3:31-35.

Regarding the word "brothers" in v. 31, if Jesus did not have siblings, why would it not refer to any, or all, other types of "brothers" He had?

You are referring to Jn. 7:2-10.

First, you quoted v. 5 as "...even his own family did not believe him", but of this list of translations, none use the word "family", rather "brothers/brethren" (ἀδελφός [adelphos]). Which translation uses "family"?

Second, what evidence supports your claim any, or all, other types of "brothers" He had did not know Him as well as siblings would have?

Third, regarding the word "brothers" in vv. 3,5, if Jesus did not have siblings, why would it not refer to other any, or all, other types of "brothers" He had?

I explained to you why "James" in Gal. 1:19, and "James" in Mat. 13:55, and Mk. 6:3, are one and the same (see post #261), as well as pointed out St. Paul also refers to James, the brother of the Lord, as an apostle. There are two apostles named thus: James of Zebedee, and James of Alphaeus.

Whichever one you say he is referring to, if they, and the "James" in Mat. 13:55, and Mk. 6:3—whom you claim is an apostle-James—are one and the same, that debunks your claim he is a son of St. Joseph (see post #11), and undermines the idea either apostle-James is a half-brother of Jesus only through the Blessed Virgin Mary. Unless you have evidence of another male companion?

I explained to you why that is a highly probable corroboration (see post #261). If "James" in Jd. 1:1, and "James" in Mat. 13:55, and Mk. 6:3—whom you claim in #6. is an apostle-James—are one and the same, that debunks your claim he is a son of St. Joseph (see post #11), and undermines the idea either apostle-James is a half-brother of Jesus only through the Blessed Virgin Mary. Unless you have evidence of another male companion?

Additionally, in #6., and #7., I noticed the double standard of you linking the same biblical identities I have, using two verses you criticize me for using, and I use well over two verses to support those identities are one and the same. Uncool.
6 & 7 were supplementary, all the other points make their case sufficiently to disallow any hair-brained notions that Mary was a perpetual virgin. The context, and exclusive or distinguished use of the terms, circumvent the option to create a dogma that establishes James, Jose, Jude and Simon, and some unnamed women, as being the cousins of Jesus, and not his uterine siblings.