Mountain lions of the West Coast

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I decided to start a thread dedicated to the great mountain lions of the west coast as I love cats, big or small.
415561521_122123705708098310_7011546657227835064_n.jpg

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When I was homeless I spent most of the night hiding from the mountain lions on the reservation. You learn to be stealthy, but don't try to climb a tree to escape a mountain lion. They'll take that challenge:

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Our beloved P-22...he lived in our huge wilderness city park, Griffith Park, in Los Angeles.

Mainly he kept to the park but did hide under a home causing quite a stir. A worker crawling under the home came face to face with P-22. The worker came scrambling back out, white-faced. The news crews all gathered. P-22 finally crept away during the night unseen.

Due to old age and injuries, he had to be euthanized last year. But he inspired a gigantic wildlife bridge over a ten lane freeway. It's currently under construction.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Our beloved P-22...he lived in our huge wilderness city park, Griffith Park, in Los Angeles.

Mainly he kept to the park but did hide under a home causing quite a stir. A worker crawling under the home came face to face with P-22. The worker came scrambling back out, white-faced. The news crews all gathered. P-22 finally crept away during the night unseen.

Due to old age and injuries, he had to be euthanized last year. But he inspired a gigantic wildlife bridge over a ten lane freeway. It's currently under construction.

A mountain lion encounter would terrify me. They have those meat hooks for hands and can grab hold of a person. Not fun.

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A mountain lion encounter would terrify me. They have those meat hooks for hands and can grab hold of a person. Not fun.
I remember two women hiking a trail here in Southern California.

A mountain lion grabbed one woman and tried to drag her down the hill. Her lady friend grabbed her friend, too, and they both had tug of war with the woman in between them!

Finally the mountain lion let go of the woman...she survived due to her friend not letting go of her.

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We have had a few mountain lion sightings recently in Sierra Madre and Monrovia. They are small towns adjacent to Los Angeles.

Reactions: dev553344

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is really cute....click watch on YouTube to see it.
He looks like he's having fun and your right it is cute and I'm also noticing how dangerous of a predator he is at the same time. Brings back memories of being homeless on the Indian reservation sleeping in the day so a mountain lion doesn't sniff me out and find me sleeping. They are usually active at night.

Reactions: Debp

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He looks like he's having fun and your right it is cute and I'm also noticing how dangerous of a predator he is at the same time. Brings back memories of being homeless on the Indian reservation sleeping in the day so a mountain lion doesn't sniff me out and find me sleeping. They are usually active at night.
I guess the reservation was cold at night, too. Washington State? Did you build a fire? And how did you get food? Buy it or catch something in the wilderness?

MA2444

Jan 9, 2024
Columbus Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I did have a close encounter with a Mt Lion when I lived in Colorado, and it about scared the pee out of me! I was heading up to the hills with my new 10/22 to try iy out and walked around a bend in the trail and surprised her sitting there. I prolly scared her as much as she did me! She let out a scream at me and showed me 5 folding knives and some fangs...and suddenly, I realized I was already through half of that 10 round magazine and was running out fast! I forced myself to stop shooting and put one carefully into her head.

Mountain Lions are nice looking creatures, but dont anyone go fooling themselves that they're cuddly or friendly because they are not. They are much stronger than you think they would be for their size. They routinely take down big Elk and Deer for food.

Reactions: dev553344 and Debp

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I did have a close encounter with a Mt Lion when I lived in Colorado, and it about scared the pee out of me! I was heading up to the hills with my new 10/22 to try iy out and walked around a bend in the trail and surprised her sitting there. I prolly scared her as much as she did me! She let out a scream at me and showed me 5 folding knives and some fangs...and suddenly, I realized I was already through half of that 10 round magazine and was running out fast! I forced myself to stop shooting and put one carefully into her head.

Mountain Lions are nice looking creatures, but dont anyone go fooling themselves that they're cuddly or friendly because they are not. They are much stronger than you think they would be for their size. They routinely take down big Elk and Deer for food.
We went up as kids into a Boeing secret test site as kids at night one time, we had swords that we made for the long dirt road trek. It was like an Area 51 thing. On the way we were stalked by a pair of mountain lions following us in the brush on each side of the road. They didn't attack and I think they saw the swords, but it was eerie the whole walk.

The test site was fenced and all we could see was steam rising up from the field above the underground test facility. But still made for fun stories.

Reactions: Debp and MA2444

MA2444

Jan 9, 2024
Columbus Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We went up as kids into a Boeing secret test site as kids at night one time, we had swords that we made for the long dirt road trek. It was like an Area 51 thing. On the way we were stalked by a pair of mountain lions following us in the brush on each side of the road. They didn't attack and I think they saw the swords, but it was eerie the whole walk.

The test site was fenced and all we could see was steam rising up from the field above the underground test facility. But still made for fun stories.

They made that into a movie, didnt they? Stand By Me...? Lol. I had two brothers and so we have lots of those stories!

The 22LR that I used on my mt. lion is actually the tradional cartridge that is used for hunting Mt lions. The technique is to have dogs and they will tree the mt lion and you catch up and shott it through the lungs, so it bleeds out in the tree. If you blast it with a big caliber and knock it out of the tree, it can do some serious damage to some expensive huntin dogs real fast. So it's best to let it bleed out in the tree.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They made that into a movie, didnt they? Stand By Me...? Lol. I had two brothers and so we have lots of those stories!

The 22LR that I used on my mt. lion is actually the tradional cartridge that is used for hunting Mt lions. The technique is to have dogs and they will tree the mt lion and you catch up and shott it through the lungs, so it bleeds out in the tree. If you blast it with a big caliber and knock it out of the tree, it can do some serious damage to some expensive huntin dogs real fast. So it's best to let it bleed out in the tree.
Wow, didn't know 22 was used that way. The only thing I ever used 22's on was rattle snakes and rabbits in the mountains of Utah. I think I shot a duck once with one. We used to hunt with .223 AR-15's and 12 guage shot guns. Lots of memories hunting and going to shooting ranges and such. Brings back memories of about 20 years ago.

Reactions: MA2444