Much study is weariness of the flesh

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I’ve been thinking a lot today about ‘much study is weariness of the flesh’ in Ecclesiastes 12:12-14 And further, by these, my son, be admonished: of making many books there is no end; and much study is a weariness of the flesh. [13] Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man. [14] For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.

consider this ‘much study is weariness of the flesh’ with 1 Corinthians 8:1-2 Now as touching things offered unto idols, we know that we all have knowledge. Knowledge puffeth up, but charity edifieth. [2] And if any man think that he knoweth any thing, he knoweth nothing yet as he ought to know.

‘much study weariness of the flesh’ to ourselves and toward others…1 Corinthians 4:6 And these things, brethren, I have in a figure transferred to myself and to Apollos for your sakes; that ye might learn in us not to think of men above that which is written, that no one of you be puffed up for one against another.

‘Knowledge puffs up, but Charity edifies’
1 Corinthians 13:4 Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,…

let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.

The merciful man doeth good to his own soul: but he that is cruel troubleth his own flesh. Proverbs 11:17

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I’ve been thinking a lot today about ‘much study is weariness of the flesh’ in Ecclesiastes 12:12-14 And further, by these, my son, be admonished: of making many books there is no end; and much study is a weariness of the flesh. [13] Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man. [14] For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.

consider this ‘much study is weariness of the flesh’ with 1 Corinthians 8:1-2 Now as touching things offered unto idols, we know that we all have knowledge. Knowledge puffeth up, but charity edifieth. [2] And if any man think that he knoweth any thing, he knoweth nothing yet as he ought to know.

‘much study weariness of the flesh’ to ourselves and toward others…1 Corinthians 4:6 And these things, brethren, I have in a figure transferred to myself and to Apollos for your sakes; that ye might learn in us not to think of men above that which is written, that no one of you be puffed up for one against another.

1 Corinthians 13:4 Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,…

let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.

The merciful man doeth good to his own soul: but he that is cruel troubleth his own flesh. Proverbs 11:17

Balance is always the key to everything maam

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Amen,
Proverbs 30:8-9 Remove far from me vanity and lies: give me neither poverty nor riches; feed me with food convenient for me: [9] Lest I be full, and deny thee, and say, Who is the Lord ? or lest I be poor, and steal, and take the name of my God in vain.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Balance here should mean to both eat the flesh and drink the blood of Jesus. To partake of the flesh alone [study the Bible] without also partaking of the blood [the quickening Spirit] would result in the...
"... weariness of the flesh’ in Ecclesiastes 12:12-14 And further, by these, my son, be admonished: of making many books there is no end; and much study is a weariness of the flesh." as per the OP by @VictoryinJesus.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The VOICE translation of Ecclesiastes 12:12-14 cautions against excessive. It is true of study as anything else.

Years ago I thought deeply about the 7 Deadly Sins. They are all the sin of excess. Righteous anger is OK; wrath is not. Sexual desire is OK; lust is not. Hunger is OK, gluttony is not. Profit is OK; greed is not and so on.

Aristotle wrote that the purpose of study is virtue, to guide our actions. We ought not confuse the means with the ends.

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

VIJ: I did not see your view on this topic in your OP. So what is the point or points you are making regarding your OP? For example. is it ok to study scripture extensively over many years and log down the knowledge you have acquired, yes, or no? And is it a yes, if we have the Spirit from God within us, and a no, if we have not, because we will never get to the essence and the truth of God no matter how long we toil and study?

Thanks,

APAK

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So what is the point or points you are making regarding your OP?

what is the point? The point for me is how much God knows the heart of man better than any shrink, better than any physician. How He describes knowledge puffs up, but Charity edifies. The point is or was to be “puffed up” is weariness of the flesh. I’ve experienced it in myself..that to be puffed up is indeed weariness of the flesh. Not only to self but to those around you. I’ve wearied myself by getting puffed up of the flesh. I’ve wearied others in being puffed up. Notice the board here; can we deny how knowledge puffs up and much study is weariness of the flesh in strifes, debates, and divisions? That is all…it was just an reminder to myself when wearied that maybe a reminder is needful that knowledge puffs up but Charity edifies. And the whole duty of man is to love God and our neighbor as we love ourselves.

For example. is it ok to study scripture extensively over many years and log down the knowledge you have acquired, yes, or no?

that wasn’t the point. I love and am thankful for the Word of God. Christ said “Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. [29] Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. [30] For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” Matthew 11:28-30

Again, the only point was considering how knowledge puffs up and is weariness of the flesh. while the knowledge of Christ edifies

Reactions: amadeus and APAK

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The wisdom of this world wore ol solomon out . But the wisdom in that bible is and does much good to the soul of the hearer and the doer
the lover and the studier of those words . MEMBER THAT .

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
what is the point? The point for me is how much God knows the heart of man better than any shrink, better than any physician. How He describes knowledge puffs up, but Charity edifies. The point is or was to be “puffed up” is weariness of the flesh. I’ve experienced it in myself..that to be puffed up is indeed weariness of the flesh. Not only to self but to those around you. I’ve wearied myself by getting puffed up of the flesh. I’ve wearied others in being puffed up. Notice the board here; can we deny how knowledge puffs up and much study is weariness of the flesh in strifes, debates, and divisions? That is all…it was just an reminder to myself when wearied that maybe a reminder is needful that knowledge puffs up but Charity edifies. And the whole duty of man is to love God and our neighbor as we love ourselves.

that wasn’t the point. I love and am thankful for the Word of God. Christ said “Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. [29] Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. [30] For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” Matthew 11:28-30

Again, the only point was considering how knowledge puffs up and is weariness of the flesh. while the knowledge of Christ edifies
I do understand what you mean. If this study and knowledge does not support God's word or his will it is usually done for vanity from a selfish view.

Mantis

Nov 2, 2020
The wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Haha yeah there is a lot of puffed up knowledge on here. Actually its' on just about every christian board. There must be a point where you think you know much more than everyone else about this stuff and that's when pride sets in. I can see why. I have always been impressed with apologetics, that is people who can just answer any question on a whim about the Bible. Thats impressive.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Haha yeah there is a lot of puffed up knowledge on here. Actually its' on just about every christian board. There must be a point where you think you know much more than everyone else about this stuff and that's when pride sets in. I can see why. I have always been impressed with apologetics, that is people who can just answer any question on a whim about the Bible. Thats impressive.
Yeah , i aint impressed with men at all . The only thing that impresses me is GOD and His beautiful words in that bible , That HE inspired .
There is nothing impressive about man , about me , you or any of them . OH BUT THE BEAUTY OF GOD , NOW THAT
IS IMPRESSIVE and may it impress upon the hearts of the lambs .

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah, like, "Bible study is just a waste of time! I'd rather make up 'my own story' of God's salvation plan, and set my own guidelines for being saved!"

That's basically what those who are too lazy to study God's Word with asking Him for understanding think. They don't realize that God isn't going to show them anything until they do... buckle down and discipline theirself in His Holy Writ. Like Apostle Paul said, "Study to shew thyself approved of God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth." (2 Timothy 2:15)

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So how many years did you have to study, before realizing that God approves of you?

Do you really think numbers of years of doing your 'own' study, is how our Heavenly Father reveals His Word? How long had Apostle Paul studied God's Word under the Pharisees until Christ's showed him the difference? And Paul was raised under the best Hebrew scholar of his day, Gamaliel.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you really think numbers of years of doing your 'own' study, is how our Heavenly Father reveals His Word? How long had Apostle Paul studied God's Word under the Pharisees until Christ's showed him the difference? And Paul was raised under the best Hebrew scholar of his day, Gamaliel.
My point exactly, all those years of study and he’d yet to love.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah, like, "Bible study is just a waste of time! I'd rather make up 'my own story' of God's salvation plan, and set my own guidelines for being saved!"

That's basically what those who are too lazy to study God's Word with asking Him for understanding think. They don't realize that God isn't going to show them anything until they do... buckle down and discipline theirself in His Holy Writ. Like Apostle Paul said, "Study to shew thyself approved of God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth." (2 Timothy 2:15)
Bible study when led and directed by the Holy Ghost is not a waste of time. But, a person simply studying the scriptures by his own mental ability and direction alone will miss what God is really saying. The verse cited [II Tim 2:15] indicates that a workman must study to receive God's approval... not to receive the truth. God may provide truth through the study, but without the teaching of the Holy Ghost it won't happen.

"But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you." John 14:26

An atheist may be a good Bible student and never know or believe the truth
!

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Balance here should mean to both eat the flesh and drink the blood of Jesus. To partake of the flesh alone [study the Bible] without also partaking of the blood [the quickening Spirit] would result in the...
"... weariness of the flesh’ in Ecclesiastes 12:12-14 And further, by these, my son, be admonished: of making many books there is no end; and much study is a weariness of the flesh." as per the OP by @VictoryinJesus.

All anointed Christians partake of both sir.

Reactions: amadeus