Must we glorify suffering?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

elysian

Oct 9, 2011
Shalom,

Suffering is inevitable in this world, whether one is religious or secular. All people have been victims, one way or another - the rich, the poor, young and old, almost everyone experiences pain. As Christians, are we supposed to see such pain as an opportunity to suffer with Christ? Do we see suffering as a sanctifying power? Do we accept suffering gladly?

Thanks,
Elysian

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
I think we should. :)

If we believe that all things work for those called according to the Lord's purpose, why would we not rejoice? Suffering produces hope that will not disapoint!

Blessings

Vengle

Sep 22, 2011
Ohio
We absolutely should not glorify suffering.

The suffering we must be willing to do is necessary suffering and it is made necessary in that we need to resist evil, not letting the evil of others shape us to return evil for evil.

As far as our physical illnesses are concerned, we humans quite often when having youthful health squander our good years on foolishness, not thinking about how the immediate pleasures we seek are actually contributing to the harm of others. While physical suffering due to health issues do not glorify God, they do cause us to pause and think. When we stop feeling so invincible we begin to take time to think about the more important things of life. It is actually sad that it has to be that way.

But in no case are we glorifying suffering by seeking to serve God. It is in fact just the opposite. We glorify suffering by ignoring God and continuing our short-sighted pursuits of pleasure that cause our self and others harm.

It is not Christ's suffering that we glorify. It is Christ's love that he showed by being willing to suffer on our behalf that we glorify. Love is what we glorify.

Love is willing to suffer for the greater good of others. But that is not glorifying suffering. It is the beauty of love.

Reactions: gregg

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
That's what I thought when I read the title...

My post is what I thought after reading the last two questions! :lol:

Obviously, it depends what we mean by it.

Also, to answer the one question I did answer, whether our sufferings should be seen as an opportunity to suffer with Christ... Not unless we really are suffering with Christ! If we suffer for simple reasons, like bodily pain, it is for our training and growing in the faith, and so we can rejoice. If we suffer with Christ, because we speak his word and stand with him, then we rejoice because we know those who die with him also live with him. :)

I guess after those two last question I took it as 'should we glorify God in the midst of our suffering'.

Vengle

Sep 22, 2011
Ohio
Yes, the wording is a bit tricky.

Paul, for example, said that he gloried in his trials and tribulations. He did not mean he glorified the suffering. He meant he glorified God through the suffering.

And that well exemplifies what our attitude should be. In all things we ought to be seeking to glorify God.

The devil adds to our suffering as he did Job just to try to prove that we will curse God if he does not buy our loyalty through pampering us. So while it might be viewed as a privilege that God allows us to give an answer to that old accuser through our suffering it is God that we glorify.

Redeemed86

Oct 14, 2011
I think that God allows us to be tried for the purpose of refining and strengthening our dependence on him. At least, that was how he got my attention. I was doing things my way and only calling on him for the purpose of enhancing my life, instead of allowing him to direct and guide me in all areas. It wasn't until he put me through the refining fire, and realized no man could understand or be able to help me in the way he could, that I turned over my complete trust to him.

John 9:1-3 is an example of that, I think.

When I allowed God to take the reigns, he revealed to me why those things had to happen. My personal growth continues each day that I die to self and pick up my cross.

I'm still a work-in-progress, but now I give everything over to God and know that he will only guide in the right direction.

Reactions: Prentis

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Shalom,

Suffering is inevitable in this world, whether one is religious or secular. All people have been victims, one way or another - the rich, the poor, young and old, almost everyone experiences pain. As Christians, are we supposed to see such pain as an opportunity to suffer with Christ? Do we see suffering as a sanctifying power? Do we accept suffering gladly?

Thanks,
Elysian
"Are we supposed to see such pain as an opportuntiy to suffer with Christ?" Yes, as long as its in his name. God manifested himself in the flesh, so he could come down to our level and feel our pain. So maybe the answer is "no".... God came down to our level.

"do we see suffering as a sanctifying power?" Well, his suffering yes. We are sancified by the offering God made. Not of our own doing.

"do we accept suffering gladly?" Well, the flesh doesn't. But the inward man joys in tribulation, knowing that tribulation works paitence, and paitence works experience, and experience works hope.

Vengle

Sep 22, 2011
Ohio
"Are we supposed to see such pain as an opportuntiy to suffer with Christ?" Yes, as long as its in his name. God manifested himself in the flesh, so he could come down to our level and feel our pain. So maybe the answer is "no".... God came down to our level.

"do we see suffering as a sanctifying power?" Well, his suffering yes. We are sancified by the offering God made. Not of our own doing.

"do we accept suffering gladly?" Well, the flesh doesn't. But the inward man joys in tribulation, knowing that tribulation works paitence, and paitence works experience, and experience works hope.

Amen FHI.

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
Yes, the wording is a bit tricky.

Paul, for example, said that he gloried in his trials and tribulations. He did not mean he glorified the suffering. He meant he glorified God through the suffering.

And that well exemplifies what our attitude should be. In all things we ought to be seeking to glorify God.

The devil adds to our suffering as he did Job just to try to prove that we will curse God if he does not buy our loyalty through pampering us. So while it might be viewed as a privilege that God allows us to give an answer to that old accuser through our suffering it is God that we glorify.

Amen!

I think that God allows us to be tried for the purpose of refining and strengthening our dependence on him. At least, that was how he got my attention. I was doing things my way and only calling on him for the purpose of enhancing my life, instead of allowing him to direct and guide me in all areas. It wasn't until he put me through the refining fire, and realized no man could understand or be able to help me in the way he could, that I turned over my complete trust to him.

John 9:1-3 is an example of that, I think.

When I allowed God to take the reigns, he revealed to me why those things had to happen. My personal growth continues each day that I die to self and pick up my cross.

I'm still a work-in-progress, but now I give everything over to God and know that he will only guide in the right direction.

And amen! :)

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks Vengle....

Perspectives

Aug 12, 2011
Northwest
Shalom,

Thanks,
Elysian
Mat. 6:16- Moreover, when you fast, do not be like the hypocrites, with a sad countenance. For they disfigure their faces that they may appear to men to be fasting. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward. V.17&18 - But you, when you fast, anoint your head and wash your face, so that you do not appear to men to be fasting, but to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly. I believe to glorify means to make someone or something known. Suffering in silence is not required however, proper teaching of how to deal with suffering is.

nomerhunks

Jul 6, 2011
Singapore
Suffering is seen in different point of view. As Christians we believe that every suffering we partake is like sharing with Christ's sacrifices in saving humanity. For if we do sacrifices to fulfill God's will then its like doing it for His glory.