My friends Harold and Caleb

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1552131263676-720x1280.jpg

God's gift through Harold

A gift can be a wonderful thing. Some more than others. When I was much younger I received such a gift from a friend whom I was never ever able to thank. Brother Harold Sullivan.

Some weeks before, I'd been invited to a meeting of the gideons by two dear friends at our church. Harold Sullivan and Caleb Mitchell. Both men were seniors and I in my mid thirties. I went as their guest and had supper at their monthly meeting in Benton. I got to have a lot of questions answered about their ministry and operation. It was a very good work distributing Bibles and only God knows how many souls have been brought to salvation by laying hands on a Gideon distributed Bible in an hour of dire need. There are so many testimonies of those that came to Jesus after opening a Bible distributed by the Gideons while they occupied a hotel room. These can be a very lonely place. Amen

I greatly enjoyed my guest trip and was invited to join their group. I was a small business man and as such had a few employees. It's normal for the Gideon group to recruit business men so that some contributions to purchase Bibles can be had. A very good thing to give to eh? Gideons pay their own expenses and buy thousands of Bibles with their own funds.

I prayed about this and put out a fleece before the Lord, a "Lord if" you might say. "Lord if you want me to join this organization then have someone pay my membership fee". I could pay the fee myself but wanted to see what God said.

A little time went by and I saw both Harold and Caleb at church where I was adult Sunday school teacher. We'd spend time together before church talking about the Lord and His word. I heard one day that my good white haired, wise, gentle friend Harold had died suddenly and unexpectedly from a heart attack. I was dismayed and shocked. I would miss our fellowship and Harold's wise Christian counsel.

At church the next Sunday it was just Caleb and I fellowshipping now. I loved Caleb also and he was a dear wise friend too. When we met we were both grieving our friend's death.

Caleb spoke and said "you know that Harold paid your membership dues to join the Gideons don't you"? I was taken aback and replied that I had no idea. "it's something he wanted to do for you" Caleb responded. In private I wept over losing such a dear Christian brother.

I never got to thank him for his God sent gift but perhaps the Lord whispered it to him in glory.

Thank you Harold. Your selfless gift was truly inspired by God. I enjoyed my time in the Gideons but the overriding memory will always be of the Lord answering my prayer, my fleece through brother Harold Sullivan. Amen

When you have a strong urge to do something for another it is likely the Lord wanting to bless the both of you. Be certain to grasp it strongly!

Proverbs 27:9 KJVS
Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so doth the sweetness of a man's friend by hearty counsel.

John 15:13 KJVS
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Reactions: Helen and amadeus

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
AMEN @Frank Lee

Beautiful , God love has no hight , depth, or width...it is unfathomable, as is His Grace xx

Reactions: Frank Lee

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have a lump in my throat that won't leave. It's from recollection of departed friends and beloved kinsmen and women. When I consider them I can barely believe they're gone.

I wrote a poem once called heart"s hotel. Our heart is a hotel that has a special room for everyone. It contains every moment of the times you spent together. Their laughs, moods, good and bad qualities, smiles, frowns, bad jokes. Every single thing about them is housed in that room in your heart. When they die the room stays unchanged. Only you have the key and can visit anytime you desire. Hear their voice, laugh. It remains unchanged awaiting your visit.

Reactions: Helen