My understanding of sin

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

friend of

Sep 22, 2018
B.C.
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Sin, as I understand it, means that if one harbours so much as a single unrighteous thought, that person is guilty of sin.

Who then can claim that they have zero untoward thoughts and are completely without sin?

It is certainly no small wonder why we need the blood of Jesus.

What are your thoughts on this matter?

In Christ,

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sin, as I understand it, means that if one harbours so much as a single unrighteous thought, that person is guilty of sin.

Who then can claim that they have zero untoward thoughts and are completely without sin?

In Christ,
Hi friend of,

I think the catch-all is, "that which is not of faith is sin." As we walk in the Spirit, we don't sin, we live our righteous new creation. When we take our focus off of living unto God, and onto our selves, or our circumstances, then we aren't walking in faith, and whatever we do is from the old flesh nature. And anything, no matter what it is, if it comes out of the flesh nature, it's sin.

I believe our relationship with God is our eternal life, to live in Him is to live eternally, that is, in the heavenly realm with Him, and life everlasting.

So then being active in my relationship with God is to live that eternal life. When I think it's me against my flesh, me against the world, me who has to do such and such, who cannot do such and such, I've come to see this as coming from the flesh. It's my way of trying to live a better life according to what I've always in the past thought.

But the other way I've learned to live is to be in constant recognition of God's active presence with me. He is here with me now, sharing life with me, my constant Companion.

Jesus stands before me calling me to be with Him. As I desire Him, and more to the point Know as Absolute Truth that in Jesus I am accepted by God, and in Him alone, that is, not because I've been bad or good, but because I trust in Him. This is my faith in Christ, that He is my Helper, without ever turning me away. He will never leave me, nor forsake me!

As I walk towards Him, I can stand, I can walk, and I do. But if I take my eyes off Him onto the waves - adverse circumstance, horrible feeling, cravings, whatever, I stop trusting Him, and then I'm walking according to the flesh.

The first thing I usually tell myself is, "Uh-oh, don't sink!!" And I try to keep standing, but I can't walk on water!

If I stop trying, and just focus on my being close to Jesus, then there I am standing!

When my mind is anchored on God, I'm trusting, walking in faith that He will do in and through me what is good. This is what it means to me to "abide in Christ", and in Him is no sin.

Whenever I start to think that something may hurt me, may defeat me, whether from some inner weakness, or outward threat, if I think there is something I need to just get for myself, I've stopped trusting God, and whatever I do is from the old nature, the flesh or 'old man'. And all that is sin.

Abiding in Christ to me means to be living in an active relationship with God such that whatever happens we can know with certainty that He will care for us in the best way that can be, whether we understand it or not, and knowing His love and care for us gives us joy. And we are patient, and gentle, and self-controlled, and loving.

Everything else is sin, again, coming from the flesh.

Much love!

Reactions: friend of

Paul Christensen

Mar 2, 2020
Christchurch
www.personal-communication.org.nz
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand

In Christ,
When we come up for judgment at the great white throne of God, we will be judged on our compliance with the Ten Commandments. We will all be found guilty because none of us has ever been able to keep them perfectly.

But for the genuine Christian believer, Jesus has taken the penalty of our sin away from us and upon Himself, so that when we stand there as guilty sinners, Jesus will say, "Your case is dismissed, because I have paid your "fine" so you can go free".

But the unsaved will have to bear the penalty for their sin because they did not believe the gospel when it was told to them and so they did not put their faith and trust in Christ. Even though Christ died for the sin of the world, He is of no effect to those who ignore the gospel and neglect the salvation that God holds out to every sinner through the gospel.

Reactions: Nancy

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Sin is every form of dysfunction from the covert to the overt. It is self promoting because self is its primary concern....it's fruit going one direction towards oblivion yet to the unregenerate man it appears like the high point of wisdom.

Reactions: Nancy

friend of

Sep 22, 2018
B.C.
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
When we come up for judgment at the great white throne of God, we will be judged on our compliance with the Ten Commandments. We will all be found guilty because none of us has ever been able to keep them perfectly.

We will all account of every errant word we have ever spoken

Reactions: Waiting on him

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

In Christ,

You have plenty of people on this site alone who are so full of themselves to believe they are without sin, quite a timely thread. My thoughts on this matter are simple, he who claims to be without sin, lets not say "cast the first stone". Such individuals making such bold statements ought to be able to stand before God and see him as he truly is in his heavenly form with their own two eyes and live to tell about it, since they claim to be so holy. If they claim that they can, then they are liars, and the truth is not within them. If they claim that they have stood before him, then they are bearing false witness. I can't imagine God letting such foolishness slide on judgement day.

Last edited:

friend of

Sep 22, 2018
B.C.
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Such individuals making such bold statements ought to be able to stand before God and see him as he truly is in his heavenly form with their own two eyes and live to tell about it, since they claim to be so holy.

RIght. God's holiness will burn through all that empty pomp. He is flawless perfection.

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

In Christ,
If an act or thought is not derived from love, then it is a sin.
If anyone can make these two following claims, or even one, he is perfect, ...like Christ.
Do you love God with all your heart, mind, power & soul?
Do you love your neighbour, as you love yourself.

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

In Christ,
Where, or from whom, did you gain your understanding about sin ?

haz

Feb 17, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Sin is transgression of the law (1John 3:4).
And whatever the law says it says to those UNDER IT (Romans 3:19).
But Christians are not under the law (Romans 8:2, Romans 10:4, Galatians 5:18) hence we cannot be charged with this sin.

Sin is unrighteousness (1John 5:17).
But for Christians our faith is counted for righteousness (Romans 4:5), hence we cannot be charged with this sin.

Unbelief in Jesus is the sin the world is convicted of (John 16:9).
Christians cannot be charged with this sin.

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“Sin indeed was in the world before the law was given, but sin is not counted where there is no law. Yet death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over those whose sinning was not like the transgression of Adam, who was a type of the one who was to come.”
- Romans 5:13-14
==========================================

Last edited:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If these things are true:
  • Sin is the result of the corrupt flesh nature being allowed to express itself.
  • We are either walking in the Spirit, or we are walking according to the flesh, it's one or the other.
  • We stand in grace, God's power in us, by trusting in Jesus.
  • As we continue to stand in grace, we continue to walk in the Spirit.
  • Walking in the Spirit has no sin, and looks like a life of love, and joy, and peace, and self-control, and the rest.

If these are true, and I believe they are, myself, then by trusting in Jesus right now, He keeps me full with His life, and I do not sin. It's when we get distracted and are failing to trust right now that we have trouble.

So the question I like to ask is this. Can we live in continuing faith, and therefore without any intentional wrong doing, and without any consciousness of sin? Do we believe that to be possible?

I would answer that the proof is in the doing, and we can each of us focus our minds on Christ and on our favorite Scriptures or a faith building song, and for those 5 minutes remain in the joy of unity with Jesus. And that having done this for 5 minutes, we can repeat, and do another 5. Then repeat that for another 10. And so on, does it have to end?

I know God gives that faith to some, because He did so for me, for a time. It was about to be an amazingly difficult part of my recovery, and God seemed to have wanted me to know this truth, that this was the prize, so He gave it to me for long enough to convince me, and convince me He did.

There was a starting point and a stopping point, and I remember both vividly. The best I could describe it was that God put my ruined and corrupted flesh to sleep. Complete rest in every way.

The only thing I didn't like about my life during that time was the recognition that all I could tell anyone was that "God did it for me, and I hope He does it for you too!"

But in the time since, I've come to see that while I needed that touch from God to show me it was real, just the same, this is something He's given to all of us purely through trusting Jesus. We look to Him, here with us right now, to live His life in us, transform our lives, transform this moment into what pleases Him.

I feel confident that just as God gave that to me for a time, the faith to live continuously unto Him, He can just the same give that to others, maybe shorter, maybe longer, maybe the remainder of their lives, I don't know. For some maybe not like that. He's God, and He does what He knows is best for each of us.

The thing that I've learned is that we can believe the Scriptures for the exact words they say, and, for instance, when it tells me that in Christ, I'm dead to sin, a once for all time death, and alive unto God, I know that this is exactly true, and in knowing that it's true, I enjoy its reality.

The problem of the flesh is that it wants to assert itself. And sometimes we allow that for any number of reasons. And having allowed it, or even just realized it, if we feel separated from God, this results in continued walk "according to the flesh". Not, "in the Spirit". We walk in the Spirit, that is, we live the new man, or we live "according to the flesh", that is, patterned after what we were.

So then if at any time we realize we are walking according to the flesh, we can return to trusting in Jesus to provide His eternal life to us, for us to live our lives in fellowship with Him. If we feel tainted by sin, we hold back from intimacy. In Jesus all guilt for sin is removed. Not because I've conquered every evil work in me, but because Jesus overcame sin and death, and in Him I live.

Much love!

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So the question I like to ask is this. Can we live in continuing faith, and therefore without any intentional wrong doing, and without any consciousness of sin? Do we believe that to be possible?
The messenger of God, the apostle(s), wrote that is it possible. (at least one of them, confirmed by all the others).

Dave M

Mar 28, 2020
Eastern USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
understanding the difference of practicing sin as a lifestyle versus stumbling in sin and being convicted and repenting is a good determination of our condition

Reactions: Joseph77

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Who grants the understanding ?

understanding the difference of practicing sin as a lifestyle versus stumbling in sin and being convicted and repenting is a good determination of our condition