Need to say something about music

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jesus Freak

Apr 30, 2014
Hey, guys. I want to tell you all I used to give my CDs away/throw them away, but not anymore. I USED to listen to Justin Bieber, and he was the last artist I threw away.

If you all think I'm throwing my artists I like away, no way. I know you're not saying that, but if you're thinking it, don't. I like who I like and that's all there is to it. I sound mad, cause I am. It seems to me you guys are trying to change a newcomer to this forum, old guy to Christianity. Anyway, I'm letting y'all voice your opinions about this.

Hashe

Mar 1, 2014
I guess it depends on whether the music helps you or hinders you in a relationship with God. If it doesn't hinder I don't see a problem - but I'm sure others will tell me how you are 'secretly' being hindered.

Mr.Bride

Jan 31, 2013
The Southern Carolinas
I mean it's like this. You are either for God or against God. Either He is your Father or the devil is your daddy.

If these artists are not for God then who are they serving by default?

Satan has power too. But nooo... I can listen to his music and just turn on this imaginary human filter I have. It doesn't work that way.

The enemy is a deceiver. He has been at it since Adam.... Come on... How wise is this dude? You can't defeat him or his devices without the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit will tell you if something is wrong with a thing. He speak to you. Convict you. If you override Him, that's up to you. We all "grown"...

God has given us too much good music. Good news music... Gospel music to want that secular crap. I had to be weaned off of it and like Angelina said it makes me sick. I'm so close to God that I recognize the gospel music that is not too right.

I just wanna worship and allow whatever music I listen to to usher me into His presence so I can be strengthened, changed, and be just a little more closer to Him.

I just love Jesus. More than anything this world can offer. If my God is perfect then surely He must have music that meets His holy standards somewhere. Excellency...

Reactions: Pelaides

teamventure

Sep 6, 2011
i feel more convicted about some of the music i listen to now that i've read this last post by Mr. Bride.
also, the term artist is thrown around very loosely these days to where anyone who cuts a cd is referred to as one.

Madad21

Boast in Christ
Dec 28, 2013
I think your only madness is in calling Justin Bieber an artist. :eek:

Mr.Bride said:
I mean it's like this. You are either for God or against God. Either He is your Father or the devil is your daddy.

If these artists are not for God then who are they serving by default?

Satan has power too. But nooo... I can listen to his music and just turn on this imaginary human filter I have. It doesn't work that way.

The enemy is a deceiver. He has been at it since Adam.... Come on... How wise is this dude? You can't defeat him or his devices without the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit will tell you if something is wrong with a thing. He speak to you. Convict you. If you override Him, that's up to you. We all "grown"...

God has given us too much good music. Good news music... Gospel music to want that secular crap. I had to be weaned off of it and like Angelina said it makes me sick. I'm so close to God that I recognize the gospel music that is not too right.

I just wanna worship and allow whatever music I listen to to usher me into His presence so I can be strengthened, changed, and be just a little more closer to Him.

I just love Jesus. More than anything this world can offer. If my God is perfect then surely He must have music that meets His holy standards somewhere. Excellency...

We are convicted by everything we say see and do in this world Christian or not, the only difference is grace, brought at a mighty cost. you or I did not pay a penny for.

In your statement above and with all love I have to ask why you felt it was ok to use the word "Crap"?

how did you justify using that word? which to many is a swear word.

You felt it was ok to say "Crap" but unacceptable to say the "S" word.

How is what you did any different to someone thinking that listening to worldly music is ok?

Im fairly confident most of us dont go out of our way to Listen to songs that celebrate death, satan or the hate of Christ, and in the same way nor would we purposely put poisoned food in our mouths or wear shirts with anti-Christ slogans on them.

Nothing is acceptable and even our best works are like filthy rags remember,

You say Crap and someone else listen to lady ga ga, both are unacceptable.

Where is the line?. for you as it is for all of us subjective.

Sin is sin,

You are right we listen to the Holy Spirit or we ignore him.

but as for your language and their music choice, both are covered by grace.

Philippians 2:12

[SIZE=.75em]12 [/SIZE]Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed—not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence—continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling,

Mr.Bride

Jan 31, 2013
The Southern Carolinas
Madad21 said:
I think your only madness is in calling Justin Bieber an artist. :eek:

We can be influenced by this world and the powers that live in it or we can turn our backs completely on it and live each day for Christ.

I will tell you something my freind, you will fail.

Only Christ can live the life of Christ, the rest of us just try our best to mimic it.

We are convicted by everything we say see and do in this world Christian or not, the only difference is grace, brought at a mighty cost. you or I did not pay a penny for.

In your statement above and with all love I have to ask why you felt it was ok to use the word "Crap" how did you justify what you obviously assumed as an innocent enough word to use?

So if someone listens to popular music they do the same thing, to them its innocent enough, but just like you felt it was ok to say "Crap" but unacceptable to say the "S" word, I feel its ok to listen some music and not others.

For example I use rapcore aggressive music in my powerlifting to induce more adrenaline for a lift if my energy levels are low. (I could care less about what the idiot is saying even if I could make it out, all I care about is the drive)

Personally I dont go out of my way to Listen to a song that celebrates death, satan or the hate of Christ, and in the same way nor would I put poisoned food in my mouth or wear a shirt with anti-Christ slogans on it.

These are those planks Jesus mentions hanging out of our own eyes.

Nothing, no work is acceptable and even our best works are like filthy rags remember, You say Crap and I listen to thrash metal when I lift, both are unacceptable, but both are covered by grace.

Life is in the Word.

Philippians 2:12

Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed—not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence—continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling,
Notice I said "secular" crap.... Would it be better if I said dung? That's what I'm getting at. It is no good for nothing. I wasn't picking on anybody about sin I'm just telling the truth. I'm gon keep black black and white white. Take it how you want to. I mean no harm but to sow good seeds into the lives of those who want more of God.

When you've fought all kinds of battles you learn to empathize with others. I'm to help my weaker brother. Not condemn him or pick on his sin. I'm not exempt from my own words. As I minister to others I minister to myself. This is something I learned by Gods grace. What I'm saying could cut my brother and cut me at the same time. God is speaking. You have to remember that. What are we? Vessels of clay.

***My friend I know music that's more amped than what you have***

You think you seen energy. What about Gods energy. It'll make you wanna jump through the roof.

And I'll say again. **These are not my words. If you reject, you reject Gods utterances....***>If a person is not serving God, they are serving the devil. Can a bad tree put forth good fruit? We all have to grow up. Accept truth if it tears the hide off your back. That's how you know you're a son or daughter of God.<

Blessings

HymnSeeker

May 19, 2014
I struggle with this as well. I have had to axe many things from my library as they grieve the Spirit when I listen to them.

My rule of thumb is if it feels like something I should not be hearing, then it goes immediately, regardless of what is in the lyrics.

Trust the Spirit, He will guide you to all truths. So choose your media carefully, loved ones.

Madad21

Boast in Christ
Dec 28, 2013
Mr.Bride said:
Notice I said "secular" crap.... Would it be better if I said dung? That's what I'm getting at. It is no good for nothing. I wasn't picking on anybody about sin I'm just telling the truth. I'm gon keep black black and white white. Take it how you want to. I mean no harm but to sow good seeds into the lives of those who want more of God.

When you've fought all kinds of battles you learn to empathize with others. I'm to help my weaker brother. Not condemn him or pick on his sin. I'm not exempt from my own words. As I minister to others I minister to myself. This is something I learned by Gods grace. What I'm saying could cut my brother and cut me at the same time. God is speaking. You have to remember that. What are we? Vessels of clay.

***My friend I know music that's more amped than what you have***

You think you seen energy. What about Gods energy. It'll make you wanna jump through the roof.

And I'll say again. **These are not my words. If you reject, you reject Gods utterances....***>If a person is not serving God, they are serving the devil. Can a bad tree put forth good fruit? We all have to grow up. Accept truth if it tears the hide off your back. That's how you know you're a son or daughter of God.<

Blessings
This is good I have no problem with this and its very encouraging, my point is our own subjectiveness when it comes to what we do or do not do (Like a moral compass). we carry around our planks I have many myself. these planks undermine all we do...everything.
I could care less that you said "Crap" but my point remains in the irony. Ironic in how you used that word innocently in the context of the point you were trying to make.
As humankind we have this way of cancelling out our every effort, with these very same ironys.

Kind of like writing a thank you note in feces.

Just an observation is all.

:)