Nephilim

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hamster

Jul 4, 2010
New Brunswick
Hello.

I want to bring up an angle to a topic that is probably not talked about as much or at least is perceived as some conspiratorial thing. The Nephilim.

We read about them in Genesis 6:1-5

[sup]1[/sup] When men began to increase in number on the earth and daughters were born to them, [sup]2[/sup] the sons of God saw that the daughters of men were beautiful, and they married any of them they chose. [sup]3[/sup] Then the LORD said, "My Spirit will not contend with [sup][a][/sup] man forever, for he is mortal [sup][b][/sup] ; his days will be a hundred and twenty years." [sup]4[/sup] The Nephilim were on the earth in those days—and also afterward—when the sons of God went to the daughters of men and had children by them. They were the heroes of old, men of renown.

[sup]5[/sup] The LORD saw how great man's wickedness on the earth had become, and that every inclination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil all the time.

Many people think they are called the fallen, or something like that. But read verse 4 it says that the Nephilim were the children of the sons of God and and daughters of men.
Verse 2 says they were married. Marriage is sanctified by God, so the act of an Angel marrying a human isn't bad, it says so right here. Maybe people associate Nephilim being bad with the next verse, but it only talks about God's anger at humans. God was mad at man, it doesn't say he was mad at the Nephilim or the angels marrying the humans. And God isn't shy to tall us what he doesn't like.
Obviously the Nephilim didn't anger God enough or at all, because it says they existed then and also after meaning, after Noah's Flood, they were still there.

The sons of God are not references to the fallen angels either because in Matthew 5:9

[sup]9[/sup]Blessed are the peacemakers,
for they will be called sons of God.

Remember how the Devil was once an angel of light. When he rebelled against God, he took a third of the angels with him, the other 2 thirds were peacemakers by defeating the Devil and his angels. Kind of like the Military, in Canada (where I live) and also in America where I will assume a lot of you people live. It appears that God gave these angels who stayed with him the honour to taken a wife.

Now, it says that the angels looked upon the women and say they were beautiful. That does not mean that they were lusting. Think of it like this. A man will look upon his wife and see that she is beautiful.

And it also says that the Nephilim were Heroes of Old, and Men of renown. Obviously, the Nephilim were amazing people and their fame was great.

It doesn't mention that they are giants, or anything like that.

In fact, Goliath, who some people think is a Nephilim, was not.

1 Samuel 17:8
[sup]8[/sup] Goliath stood and shouted a taunt across to the Israelites. “Why are you all coming out to fight?” he called. “I am the Philistine champion, but you are only the servants of Saul. Choose one man to come down here and fight me!

If the Nephilim were truly evil creatures, and children of rebelled angels (who hated humans so much they wouldn't bother with the survival of humans by procreating with them, but would probably destroy them)

Why would Goliath say I am the Philistine Champion and in another place it is mentioned he is from Gath. Why wouldn't he say I am a Nephilim, a Child of an angel who defied God himself and survived.

I would be glad if I could hear your thoughts on this. I have to say, I heard most of this off of a youtuber machosauceproductions (A Christian Republican person who is pretty cool, I mean I'm not from America, so I am not really affected or concerned with it's politics, but he made some good points and made me think a bit)
but I couldn't deny that what he was saying is pretty much what the scriptures say.

So please thoughts

cely

Jul 16, 2010
Hello.

I want to bring up an angle to a topic that is probably not talked about as much or at least is perceived as some conspiratorial thing. The Nephilim.

[sup]1[/sup] When men began to increase in number on the earth and daughters were born to them, [sup]2[/sup] the sons of God saw that the daughters of men were beautiful, and they married any of them they chose. [sup]3[/sup] Then the LORD said, "My Spirit will not contend with [sup][a][/sup] man forever, for he is mortal [sup][b][/sup] ; his days will be a hundred and twenty years." [sup]4[/sup] The Nephilim were on the earth in those days—and also afterward—when the sons of God went to the daughters of men and had children by them. They were the heroes of old, men of renown.

[sup]5[/sup] The LORD saw how great man's wickedness on the earth had become, and that every inclination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil all the time.

Many people think they are called the fallen, or something like that. But read verse 4 it says that the Nephilim were the children of the sons of God and and daughters of men.
Verse 2 says they were married. Marriage is sanctified by God, so the act of an Angel marrying a human isn't bad, it says so right here. Maybe people associate Nephilim being bad with the next verse, but it only talks about God's anger at humans. God was mad at man, it doesn't say he was mad at the Nephilim or the angels marrying the humans. And God isn't shy to tall us what he doesn't like.
Obviously the Nephilim didn't anger God enough or at all, because it says they existed then and also after meaning, after Noah's Flood, they were still there.

The sons of God are not references to the fallen angels either because in Matthew 5:9

Remember how the Devil was once an angel of light. When he rebelled against God, he took a third of the angels with him, the other 2 thirds were peacemakers by defeating the Devil and his angels. Kind of like the Military, in Canada (where I live) and also in America where I will assume a lot of you people live. It appears that God gave these angels who stayed with him the honour to taken a wife.

Now, it says that the angels looked upon the women and say they were beautiful. That does not mean that they were lusting. Think of it like this. A man will look upon his wife and see that she is beautiful.

And it also says that the Nephilim were Heroes of Old, and Men of renown. Obviously, the Nephilim were amazing people and their fame was great.

In fact, Goliath, who some people think is a Nephilim, was not.

[sup]8[/sup] Goliath stood and shouted a taunt across to the Israelites. “Why are you all coming out to fight?” he called. “I am the Philistine champion, but you are only the servants of Saul. Choose one man to come down here and fight me!

If the Nephilim were truly evil creatures, and children of rebelled angels (who hated humans so much they wouldn't bother with the survival of humans by procreating with them, but would probably destroy them)

Why would Goliath say I am the Philistine Champion and in another place it is mentioned he is from Gath. Why wouldn't he say I am a Nephilim, a Child of an angel who defied God himself and survived.

I would be glad if I could hear your thoughts on this. I have to say, I heard most of this off of a youtuber machosauceproductions (A Christian Republican person who is pretty cool, I mean I'm not from America, so I am not really affected or concerned with it's politics, but he made some good points and made me think a bit)
but I couldn't deny that what he was saying is pretty much what the scriptures say.

So please thoughts

hi brother Christ jesus Bless you I thought they were the third of angels that left with satan in his rebellion. What is Jude verse 6 is preferring to?

Hamster

Jul 4, 2010
New Brunswick
Hello Joseph!

Jude 6 says

[sup]6[/sup]And the angels who did not keep their positions of authority but abandoned their own home—these he has kept in darkness, bound with everlasting chains for judgment on the great Day.

How does this verse fit in with the others? I can't see it.

whirlwind

Nov 8, 2007
Hello.

Ah, but they didn't "marry" them. They "took them."

Genesis 6:1-2 And it came to pass, when men began to multiply on the face of the earth, and daughters were born unto them, That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose.

Their being taken (forcibly) wasn't sanctioned by God. As far as God's anger at these "sons of God" or angels....

Jude 6-8 And the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, He hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day. Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire. Likewise also these filthy dreamers defile the flesh, despise dominion, and speak evil of dignities.​

Yes....their leaving the spiritual realm and producing children with humans did greatly anger God. They were punished but please realize...there are many angelic beings. There was a second influx after the flood and they too produced giants.

It isn't that the devil was "once an angel of light" but that he is transformed into one. He pretends to be holy.

No angels were given the honor of taking a wife. The spiritual and physical do not meld and are to remain separate.

There are sons of God and sons of man. Spirit and Flesh. Angel and human.

Genesis 6:4 There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown

These offspring of angels and humans, these giants, were termed men of renown, and in all probability are the basis for mythology...Zeus, Thor, etc. As Bullinger wrote....men of renown were "great in size and great in wickedness."

You might be interested in books on the giants. Search on the internet and you'll come up with some interesting information. The one I purchased was written by Steve Quayle (if memory serves...I'm not at home at the moment to check).

[quote[In fact, Goliath, who some people think is a Nephilim, was not.

Why would Goliath say I am the Philistine Champion and in another place it is mentioned he is from Gath. Why wouldn't he say I am a Nephilim, a Child of an angel who defied God himself and survived.[/quote]

He wasn't a nephilim for he wasn't a fallen angel but was the offspring of one. He was a geber.

It isn't that they hated humans so much but that they tried to destroy the line leading to Christ. All this was led by Satan...king of the fallen angels. The first attempt was when Satan himself seduced Eve and they produced Cain. Was he too a giant?

So please thoughts

:) It's a very interesting topic!

[email protected]

Choir Loft
Apr 2, 2009
West Central Florida
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Here we go again with this drivel about ancient Supermen.
They came from flying saucers, another age of man (Lord of the Rings), a time when women whored after demonic spirits, etc. etc. etc.

All this rubbish serves to do is dilute the gospel of Christ and confuse those whose minds are already muddled.

Superman is a comic book figure derived from atheist philosophy.

There is no evidence whatsoever that persons born of humans and gods actually existed.

It is nothing but myths and fairy tales.....and hype for movies like Percy Jackson and the Olympians.

A bit of advice. When you leave the movie theater you are supposed to return to the real world.

whirlwind

Nov 8, 2007
Here we go again with this drivel about ancient Supermen.
They came from flying saucers, another age of man (Lord of the Rings), a time when women whored after demonic spirits, etc. etc. etc.

All this rubbish serves to do is dilute the gospel of Christ and confuse those whose minds are already muddled.

Superman is a comic book figure derived from atheist philosophy.

There is no evidence whatsoever that persons born of humans and gods actually existed.

It is nothing but myths and fairy tales.....and hype for movies like Percy Jackson and the Olympians.

A bit of advice. When you leave the movie theater you are supposed to return to the real world.

Does the Word of the Lord contain myths and fables? :unsure:

granpa

Sep 23, 2009
West coast
tok.fandom.com
Faith
Agnostic
Country
United States
Nephilim means 'fallen ones'. 'Fallen' can also mean 'abortion'.
I wonder if it could also mean they were extremely premature. Esau (Edom) was said to have been extremely premature. (hence red and hairy)

I'm not 100% convinced that the nephilim were the sons of the sons of Elohim. It may just be that they existed at the same time that the sons of Elohim were marrying the daughters of Adam.
If so then it isnt clear whether it is the nephilim or the sons of the sons of Elohim that are called 'mighty men of old. men of Shem (name)'. (Whatever that means).
'mighty men' in Hebrew is 'Gibbor'. the same root used in 'Gabriel'. Nimrod is called a 'Gibbor hunter'. (Mighty hunter). See http://net.bible.org/strong.php?id=01368

So it seems to me that we have 4 groups:
1. the 'Sons of Elohim'.
2. the Sons of the 'Sons of Elohim'.
3. the daugters of Adam
4. the 'nephilim'.

2 & 4 may be identical and either 2 or 4 (probably 2) is for some reason called the 'Gibborim of old. Men of Shem (name)'.

And these four groups have something to do with the flood.

My guess is that this all has something to do with the evolution of the Caucasian race. (descendants of Japhet)

Paul

Aug 19, 2006
Nephilim means 'fallen ones'. 'Fallen' can also mean 'abortion'.
I wonder if it could also mean they were extremely premature. Esau (Edom) was said to have been extremely premature. (hence the name)

I'm not 100% convinced that the nephilim were the sons of the sons of God. It may just be that they existed at the same time that the sons of God were marrying the daughters of Adam.
If so then it isnt clear whether it is the nephilim or the sons of the sons of God that are called 'men of Shem (name)'. (Whatever that means).

Where on earth did you hear that "Esau (Edom) was said to have been extremely premature." ? or that, Nephilim means 'fallen ones'. 'Fallen' can also mean 'abortion'.

gp, do you know any Hebrew?

Paul

Aug 19, 2006
This is a well known Theory based on the fact that extremely premature babies are red and hairy.

Well, where ever you found that theory, it does not apply in any way, shape or form with Esau.

evanom

May 8, 2010
Bogota Colombia

Remeber this Hamster, God creates everything after their own kind, He SEPARATES, He doesn't MIX. He calls his separation GOOD and He orders us to maintain things according to thier kind, in other words....don't mix what He has already categorized within it's own genre.

So angels MIXING with humans (sexually speaking) is about as "good" as us mixing with animals (sexually speaking). It's a complete abomination to God.

Ju 1:6 And the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, he hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day. Ju 1:7 Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire. Ju 1:8 . Likewise also these [filthy] dreamers defile the flesh, despise dominion, and speak evil of dignities.

granpa

Sep 23, 2009
West coast
tok.fandom.com
Faith
Agnostic
Country
United States
They were the heroes of old, men of renown.

The above sentence has always intrigued me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeus
Zeus was the child of Cronus and Rhea, and the youngest of his siblings. In most traditions he was married to Hera, although, at the oracle of Dodona, his consort was Dione: according to the Iliad, he is the father of Aphrodite by Dione.[2] He is known for his erotic escapades. These resulted in many godly and heroic offspring, including Athena, Apollo and Artemis, Hermes, Persephone (by Demeter), Dionysus, Perseus, Heracles, Helen, Minos, and the Muses (by Mnemosyne); by Hera, he is usually said to have fathered Ares, Hebe and Hephaestus.[4]