New idea for church functionality

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Doug_E_Fresh

gяελ нατ jεsμs ƒяεακ
Dec 7, 2013
Pennsylvania
dswdoctrine.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have been thinking a lot lately about certain things relating to our ideas of the church. This may seem a little brainy, or sporadic, but try to bear with me. Some of the main thoughts have been about the following topics:

1. Spiritual Gifts
2. Members of the Body of Christ
3. The way current day churches operate
4. The way the first churches started

This is a lot of information to cover, so I'll encourage you to read up on some of it before posting to create conducive discussion about this idea as to whether it would be feasible/ work. I'm still learning about it all myself.

That said, lets begin.

What I have seen in many different denominations in churches (around Pennsylvania) is that there are certain necessary practices that the churches have such as a form of any of the following: Praise/Worship, Tithing Call, Teaching (Sunday mornings), and a benediction. Other things are added/ modified/ removed depending on its value by the denomination i.e.: Sunday School.
These Sunday sermons always cater to both believers and non-believers (to varying degrees), but what is the goal of the church? I think phrasing the question that way, leads to some interesting paths we can take.

For example, one way to take it is to say, "We're to go out into the world and make disciples." and I would unwaveringly agree with you.

Another might say, "In the way you're stating it, I'd say that the goal of any church is to bring non-believers into the church so that they can hear the gospel and possibly be converted." and again, I would agree with them.

However, a third person may say, "The goal of the church is to raise up new Christians and make disciples out of them, and teach them sound theology so that they can know how to believe about what they believe."

A last perspective I want to throw into this mix is this one, "That we should send out as many Christians we can (mission minded) into the world to share the gospel with people."

For the record, I agree with all of these. However, when I look at how churches operate, I see them trying to perform all of these (to varying degrees) and having varying degrees of success. The overarching question that I'm trying to raise is: "How can we make churches more successful? across every denomination?"

So to move into how I think we can answer that question, I want to look at what problems are cause by the current model of how churches (in america out of my experience) operate:
1. Churches do not understand how to use their own members properly.
Any where I've been, people who want to server are overlooked, under qualified, or under experienced. Some people who don't want to serve, feel that they are also overlooked, under qualified, or under experienced. I think if the church were allowed to have more broken people, it might have a few more people serving in it.

While we're in the vein of service, please hear my thoughts on gifts and members of the body:

In my experience, different denominations tend to harbour certain personality types ex: Brethren in Christ, Evangelical Free & Congregational and I've been wondering, if the reason why is a socially psychological one: "similarity leads to liking and attraction." In layman's terms, you're similar, so you want to be around each other (includes doctrinal thinking). But what if the church, isn't meant to be that way at all? We talk all the time about spiritual gifts, and being different members of the body of Christ, but do we really implement and practice that? Suppose someone says, "I don't know what my gifts are." What should we tell them? "Go try to serve in all the gift areas and see what it is that you want to be involved in. If you don't try, you won't know if that's what your gift is." Suppose they come back and say, "I really think that our church needs to offer a Sunday School, I see a need for that." Then the pastor tells them, "No. We don't offer a Sunday School, and no you can't start one." (I use this because it's happened in my life along with others.) Then what is the attendee of that church to do? Go find another church that listens.

People with vision and leadership who can't get others to listen to their vision can tend to have a, "Fine, I'll go play with my own toys." mentality. I personally believe that's why we have so many denominations today. But in saying that, what was accomplished? A contributing member to the church was lost, the fulfilling of a need was gained somewhere else, and the church they left from may still have the need to be fulfilled. So what's my point in saying all this?

2. Denominations to me, are the observable mutilation of the body of Christ. each piece creating its own harbour to live in seperate from the others, all trying to accomplish the same goal using different visions with similar but varying degrees of success and theology.

Let me try to unpack this. Each time I go anywhere I pass at least 1 church visibly from my car. Normally I can find 3-4 churches of different denominations in my area within a 30 minute drive in any direction. One thing that has been rolling around in my head is, "What would happen if different denominations started working together, to re-unite the members of the body? What happens when we go from, "the 50+ churches in nashville" back to the idea of "the church of nashville"? The early churches were started by the apostles going out and fulfilling the "Great Commission". Somehow I feel that the american church today has got it backwards. The best evidence of this I feel is that we're "trying to get people in the door" and that we're trying to make the things that won't make sense, to make sense (1 corinthians 1:18). Because we're trying to accommodate and/ or win people from the pulpit, churches have to strattel what is best practice for both christian and non-christian in their church. But what if we use a model more similar to the apostles?

Here is my hypothetical model that I would like to hear your comments on as to whether or not you think it would be viable in america:

1. That denominations seek to merge and welcome each other's ideas to help their community at large, rather than create specialized church body parts.

2. That missions, happens outside every church. no more, "coffee shops to bring people in". That means that the church needs to get involved in the community in order to recognize its needs. Food banks are a good start, but everyone needs to shower, have good interview clothes, and to clean their clothes too. (This means people have the opportunity to witness and get involved in different ways.)

3. That the church does indeed become a "body of believers". Not that it isn't already, and no i'm not saying to turn non-believers away from your church. I'm saying that they'll understand what's going on inside when they can talk to you about it before they go in through conversations at workplace (as example). When we stop trying to bring non-believers in, it should create a less edgy, more honest environment for a bunch of broken people who all know they're all forgiven and have eternal life because of the same God. People who are being prepared or those who have already been transformed, will want to come to church through their obedience to Christ (which is why we don't need to get them in the door". Now because you're teaching to a 9/10 majority of christians, there's no reason not to use complicated (make you think) questions and theological jargon. If you want to teach to new people, offer something like an alpha course or truth project.

I think a model like this allows pastors, missionaries, and teachers to be able to freely teach what believers need to know, and minister to those who need it. I think that a model like this allows them to be more successful with greater ability to hone in on who needs what type of ministering.

What do you think? - phew you made it! B)

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The overarching question that I'm trying to raise is: "How can we make churches more successful? across every denomination?"
The Word of God ( Jesus Christ ) can do this.

The church needs to tend it herself before tending to the members of the congregation. By tending to herself in submitting to the word of God as kept in the KJV by proving every teaching & practise of the church by the scripture in an open reformation forum with all the members, then the church is tending to the body of Christ while they are confirming the word of God in them & thus discipling them.

If a church sets the example for other churches in the denomenation, publishing corrections and confirmations by the KJV, then mayhap the rest of the churches in the denomenation will do the same in following suit.

And if another denomenation wishes to prove to her members that they are submissive to the word of God as kept by the KJV, then a church in that denomenation may set the bar for other churches in that denomenation to follow.

So when a church does do this open reformation forum, it would be wise to make an announcement of the results in the paper of any corrections and confirmations to show growth in the eyes of the other churches & other denomenational churches.

It would be unwise to invite other denomenational members in such an in-house reformation process. Progress may be stymied. One can only reform one's personal church; and not another which obviously, the other denomenational member would be defending or campaigning for.

The reason for using one Bible is obvious and that is because not all Bibles are saying the same thing. If other references are used, that is admitting that God is not helping them to understand His words as they were kept by disciples that loved Him & His words in the KJV and are resorting to man for another way to look at His words instead.... and doing it that way, no progess can be made in the church's reformation.

Christ, the Word of God, is the head of every church just as He is the Head of every believer. When the church sets the example for discipleship in this open reformation forum for her memebers and vistors using only the KJV, growth may result, God be willing.

1 Corinthians 1:9 God is faithful, by whom ye were called unto the fellowship of his Son Jesus Christ our Lord. 10 Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.

Ephesians 4:12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ: 13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ: 14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive; 15 But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ: 16 From whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So how do you manage heresy?
How do you manage the popular drive for entertainment / unique experiences?
How do you exercise authority?

I do not accept "let the HS manage it" not because I lack faith in the HS but because I have never seen people actually accept it as a church - it is two thousand years of lip service that is either abandoned or shatters into a thousand heresies.

I am all ears

What I see is humanity chasing spiritual ecstasy rather than embracing the ordinary and reveling in it. True spiritual practice is outwardly boring. It is internally transforming, redeeming, and ultimately freedom

Reactions: Born_Again

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
aspen said:
So how do you manage heresy?
How do you manage the popular drive for entertainment / unique experiences?
How do you exercise authority?
The Head of every believer is the Word of God, the Lord Jesus Christ, and so the Head of the church is the Word of God, the Lord Jesus Christ.

I do not accept "let the HS manage it" not because I lack faith in the HS but because I have never seen people actually accept it as a church - it is two thousand years of lip service that is either abandoned or shatters into a thousand heresies.

I am all ears
I agree that the mentality of relying only on the Holy Spirit as if they do not need the Word of God any more is tantamount to heading into apostasy.

And because not all Bibles say the same thing, I would emphasize using the King James Bible only and relying on the Good Shepherd for the wisdom in understanding His words and the discernment needed to apply them in exposing works of darkness and confirming in proving what is good.

What I see is humanity chasing spiritual ecstasy rather than embracing the ordinary and reveling in it. True spiritual practice is outwardly boring. It is internally transforming, redeeming, and ultimately freedom
It is true that wayward believers are not coming to the Son in fellowship in learning of the Bridegroom so that their love may abound more & more in the knowledge of Him, but they have moved away from their rest in Jesus Christ and are chasing after what they believed to be the Holy Spirit for a sign and by doing so, are committing spiritual fornication like an adulterous generation would do.

Psalm 27:8 When thou saidst, Seek ye my face; my heart said unto thee, Thy face, Lord, will I seek.

May God cause the increase to deliver those from the snare of the devil & return to their first love.

Doug_E_Fresh

gяελ нατ jεsμs ƒяεακ
Dec 7, 2013
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not sure who you're questions are aimed at aspen, but I'll try to answer them (even though i don't know what you mean by H.S.).

Managing Heresy:
I'll use this as a basic framework, taken from gotquestions.org, "A basic definition of heresy, according toMerriam-Webster’s Collegiate Dictionary, is “adherence to a religious opinion contrary to church dogma.” A second definition is “dissent or deviation from a dominant theory, opinion, or practice.” That’s a good starting point for us. These definitions identify two key elements: a dominant position and a contrary position. With regards to religion, any belief or practice that goes against the official position of the church is considered heretical."
Read more:http://www.gotquestions.org/heresy-definition.html#ixzz3TWEVq0Gl

I think it's important to understand how we should respond to something extra-biblical, versus extra-dogmatic.
For example, I may not agree with what the BiC church dogma is, but I still agree with them that the only way of salvation is through faith Jesus alone.

So I could have two options:

1. If i don't agree, I can leave and find a new denomination (start my own denomination).
2. If i am willing to agree that salvation is Jesus alone, I can choose to stay because I agree with them on the "basics".

These lead me to two conclusions.

For the first: 1 John 2:​
3We know that we have come to know him if we keep his commands. 4Whoever says, “I know him,” but does not do what he commands is a liar, and the truth is not in that person. 5But if anyone obeys his word, love for Goda is truly made complete in them. This is how we know we are in him: 6Whoever claims to live in him must live as Jesus did.
7Dear friends, I am not writing you a new command but an old one, which you have had since the beginning. This old command is the message you have heard. 8Yet I am writing you a new command; its truth is seen in him and in you, because the darkness is passing and the true light is already shining.
9Anyone who claims to be in the light but hates a brother or sisterb is still in the darkness. 10Anyone who loves their brother and sisterc lives in the light, and there is nothing in them to make them stumble. 11But anyone who hates a brother or sister is in the darkness and walks around in the darkness. They do not know where they are going, because the darkness has blinded them.
Ultimately, we need to be looking at the persons character before their doctrine because people can alway change their mind about why they believe in something, but their actions should show that they are living like Christ. (Which is a reason that I also disagree with your "outwardly boring" statement because you can't be both spiritually active and outwardly boring.). So if they're not living like Christ, and don't agree with biblical teaching, and let me be clear -- I don't mean frameworks for belief. I mean what the page is saying. So i'm not talking about trinitarian doctrine, calvanism, weslyanism, arminianism, etc... Those things are not worth betting someone's salvation over. We don't go to new people with our list of church doctrine, we go with the gospel. (please don't comment on this, I'm not going to argue about it because it takes away from the purpose of me bringing up unifying the church in the first place. So start a new thread if you want to talk about it.)
So, if someone was unwilling to agree with the majority on who the person of Jesus the Christ is or was while He was here on the earth, I think that they would fall into the category of "not in Him." based on those verses and will most likely leave on my own based on all the opposition and rebuking I receive.

Second conclusion:
If I agree with the majority on who Christ is/ was, then they need to be encouraged to stay, (without imposing doctrine they disagree with on them) in order to grow together in love and faith. I disagree with every non-believer, but it seems as though we're more accepting of them than our brothers and sister in Christ. We need to treat everyone's beliefs with value, not going "No, you're wrong." which i see happen a lot on facebook and even on this forum.

Managing Sensationalism - You don't. You teach people how to have unique experiences, and make worship that continues to fulfill the need of being relevant to the audience to encourage worship. Entertainment distracts from worship so it's a balance.

Managing Authority - The Bible already teaches that those in authority need to be above reproach in the church. So when authority needs exercised, those are the people to do it. Not just a head pastor, or a board of directors either. It can be defined multiple ways.

If something is unclear, ask me to elaborate.

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Doug_E_Fresh said:
I'm not sure who you're questions are aimed at aspen, but I'll try to answer them (even though i don't know what you mean by H.S.).
aspen was using "H.S." for Holy Spirit.

I'm guessing aspen is referring to how some churches will make like the believers at the apostaste "Toronto Blessing" movement where they had said that they "do not need the Word of God any more, all they need is the Spirit" as one visitor of that movement testified of when coming back to share about it with me. The fellow co-worker sharing that did not agree with that saying at all.

It may be that aspen is referring to something else, but that is what came to mind when aspen had posted that. Anyway, I am certain aspen was referring H.S. to the Holy Spirit in managing it.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes HS = Holy Spirit.

And, thank you both for responding.

One clarification - I am not just speaking of charismatic based heresy - I am including all heresy.

Here is my position: I reject Sola Scriptura as extra-biblical. I am Roman Catholic so I believe in the authority of the Bible and the Church. The reason I believe this is multifasited. I believe the Early Church relied on the authority of the Disciples and Apostles and their writings - how can you separate them? Also, the Bible alone is an impossible standard because it always includes interpretation - you cannot separate scripture from interpretation. Protestants believe in the infallibility of the HS interpretation, but if you consider the thousands of interpretations of single portions of scripture along with the many contradictions between these interpretations - it is impossible to separate private interpretation from spirit filled interpretation without the universal church reaching some sort of concensus.

Do I believe the Roman Catholic Church has got the entire picture - nope, but they have the authority to stop the quibbling and misguided focus on weird interpretations and wasted time on one-upping scriptural knowledge between individuals within it's ranks. The reason this is sooooooo important is because the Bible is not God - it is the Word of God and it is a starting place for spiritual growth, not a facilitator for quibbling and pissing contests between Christians. Nor is it a Magic 8 Ball for predicting future events. Now, don't get me wrong - I love dissecting and discussing and meditating on scripture, but that is not because it defines me as a Christian! Being a Christian is like playing Chess - the mechanics are SIMPLE - mastery is endless because it is the process of being transformed into a perfect lover of God and Creation (each other). Like a marathon runner relies on a good pair of shoes to run a good race, we rely on the Bilbe, but even the best pair of shoes is not going to win us the marathon alone.

What I do think the Catholic Church has got right is a focus on the Mass rather than the message of the Priest. The reason this is important is because it takes all the focus off of interpretation of scripture and places it on the application of scripture and the Mass. I think Protestants might benefit from taking the focus off sermon driven services and place it on corporate, silent, 10 minute prayer. The sermon is still included, along with interpretation, but the emphasis should be on the silent prayer. Heresy control would be enforced by clarification at every service that this prayer is private (no messages for the congregation for the entire church is ever accepted) and universal (Christians pray together).

Dissenting viewpoints from the Bible/church interpretation may be privately considered, discussed, and even accepted, but only at the peril of the individual; never to be adopted by the hierarchy.

Doug_E_Fresh

gяελ нατ jεsμs ƒяεακ
Dec 7, 2013
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks for responding both of you and I now understand what you mean by HS. sorry im a computer guy, i'm drowning in acronyms..

Now knowing that you're a catholic Aspen, I want to be very clear on what I believe just so you understand where I'm coming from (protestant).

I'm not trying to open a can of worms by stating my opinion, if you want to talk about it we can in another thread because i'm sure as a catholic you have your own beliefs about what i'm going to say and I welcome a different way of thinking.

As long as we're both in agreement that your faith in Jesus alone is what initially causes you to be saved, then the below may make sense.

So as far as my "new method" this is how it works:

We both believe in the authority of the church, but may disagree on exactly what that looks like. I personally don't think that it's important to be tied to an "original church planted, unbroken apostolic lineage, church" and again, you may disagree. But we both know, that our faith in Christ is what saves us. So I think it's important for us to place our "universal church anchor" right there in the thick of the basic belief of who Jesus was/ is and what He did. I'm not willing to say "aspen isn't saved because s/he's a catholic." just like I don't think you'd say the same thing about me (or I hope not.. :s), so if that's the case, why can't we be family in Christ? In fact we are, so then I don't think it should be worth people's salvation to draw lines in the sand about things that don't necessarily matter as much.

So, we as Christians, have the ability to put down the theological swords and focus on teaching and preaching the basics. Then it's up to the individual to "feel out" what it is that they believe. The church has the ability to appoint leaders and teachers to give more supplemental instruction in accordance to what the "Universal church believes.", but even as someone who is going to go to seminary, I don't think I should have, or want the responsibility to make sure that people "believe right." about God/ Jesus/ the Bible. Someone who is a Christian I believe will be convicted first by the Holy Spirit about their actions, then their morality assuming that they are indeed seeking God. So it's not my responsibility to MAKE them follow God. I can only suggest and shepherd. I think that anything beyond basic understandings such as sola scriptura and the others are up for debate, because they are human frameworks meant to describe aspects of faith in an infinite God. So people may come to wrong conclusions, but through correct instruction, they will be told the truth, but we can't make them believe it. The church is not taking up the belief of the individual, the individual can have their own thoughts, but all are grounded in the fact that Jesus is who He says He is. I think it's obvious that truth will ultimately prevail because it has been proven in history. Some of the catholic beliefs are different now than they were in martin luther's time, but others have stood the test of time. So then what was important was kept, the things that turned out to be bad, were discarded. The same thing happens in all of protestantism and its denominations. Homosexuality is tearing the presbyterians apart at the seams as an example.

So we should build the church from the basic anchor, and not try to add our own theology to the requirements. That allows for everyone to have an opinion, only again, at the peril of the individual, but also the "Church" can have it's dogma, so long as the dogma is based on the fundamentals.
Do you agree?

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
aspen said:
One clarification - I am not just speaking of charismatic based heresy - I am including all heresy.

Here is my position: I reject Sola Scriptura as extra-biblical. I am Roman Catholic so I believe in the authority of the Bible and the Church. The reason I believe this is multifasited. I believe the Early Church relied on the authority of the Disciples and Apostles and their writings - how can you separate them? Also, the Bible alone is an impossible standard because it always includes interpretation - you cannot separate scripture from interpretation. Protestants believe in the infallibility of the HS interpretation, but if you consider the thousands of interpretations of single portions of scripture along with the many contradictions between these interpretations - it is impossible to separate private interpretation from spirit filled interpretation without the universal church reaching some sort of concensus.

Do I believe the Roman Catholic Church has got the entire picture - nope, but they have the authority to stop the quibbling and misguided focus on weird interpretations and wasted time on one-upping scriptural knowledge between individuals within it's ranks.
The only way the Roman Catholic Church can have the authority to put down weird translations is by showing it so by the scripture.

Let's take John 6th chapter an an example for their practise of the Mass. I can understand where they get it from, but in context, it is not validated. Plus, you have other portions of scripture that goes against the Mass for it to be a time to receive that same one time sacrifice for sin from long ago presently... over .. and over again whenever the Mass is performed.

Now Catholics would argue that they are not sacrificing Christ all over again, but the language of the catechism is that the one time sacrifice for sin in the past is being made present in the Mass to be received. That is the same thing as receiving His sacrifice over and over again as if the first time you had received Him at the Mass was not good enough.

Hebrews 10th chapter has scripture that serves as a warning for any believer thinking that the one time sacrifice for sin was not good enough to be received one time and so that His sacrifice has to be made present to receive again and again and again, thus treating the blood of the Son as on par with the blood of bulls & goats.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Hebrews+10&version=KJV.

I understand your concern about sola scriptura but I find it wanting when the RCC cannot explain away other portions of scripture that warns against their traditional teachings like the Mass.

And it would be nice if we had a church that hold the final authority on what the scripture says or mean, but again, the church is found wanting when they do not have an explanation for everyhing written in scripture either.

I am glad that you see that the RCC does not have the entire picture, but for all this time since the early church began, they still don't have an answer for everything in scripture of its meaning? Especially the ones that openly opposes their traditional Catholic teachings?

This is where the church as the final authority fails when they insist sola scriptura when they want to that supports their doctrines and then a simple rebuff with no explanation when opponents are countering it with other portions of scripture. They just wanted believers to take them at their word and tow the party line with fervent devotion to rituals and without question.

That's how they lost members, wasn't it?

Jesus Christ is the Head of the church; not the RCC; and certainly not the evangelical pastor either because every believer has to be submissive to the Word of God Whom is Jesus Christ. That is how a church manages by leading by example in being submissive to the Word of God then each of their members were to be also. When a leader is not being submissive to the Word of God, then followers are free not to follow that leader by whatever example he is setting, because every one is to be following Jesus, the Word of God.

But now.. because of the many Bible versions, doubts have been sown in His words for the actual meaning of them and an anti-KJVonlism campaign on the internet is keeping believers from deciding to rely on only one Bible to get to the truth of any matter.

So it is no wonder why so many are falling away from the faith in these latter days, and why only a few will find Him to rest in Him.

Doug_E_Fresh said:
I'm not willing to say "aspen isn't saved because s/he's a catholic." just like I don't think you'd say the same thing about me (or I hope not.. :s), so if that's the case, why can't we be family in Christ? In fact we are, so then I don't think it should be worth people's salvation to draw lines in the sand about things that don't necessarily matter as much.
The Catholic catechism that I know says that Catholics are not saved "yet". I know some Catholics believed otherwise, but getting to the truth in scripture, if they believe in the Lord Jesus Christ and that God raised Him from the dead, scripture promised that they are saved as Romans 10:8-17, regardless of the fact that some do not believe that they are saved yet.

From this link to an online Catholic Catechism;

http://www.usccb.org/beliefs-and-teachings/what-we-believe/catechism/catechism-of-the-catholic-church/epub/index.cfm

837 “Fully incorporated into the society of the Church are those who, possessing the Spirit of Christ, accept all the means of salvation given to the Church together with her entire organization, and who—by the bonds constituted by the profession of faith, the sacraments, ecclesiastical government, and communion—are joined in the visible structure of the Church of Christ, who rules her through the Supreme Pontiff and the bishops. Even though incorporated into the Church, one who does not however persevere in charity is not saved. He remains indeed in the bosom of the Church, but ‘in body’ not ‘in heart.’”
This would be tantamount to having that foundation laid but only wood, stubble, and hay are built on that foundation when Catholics look to the works of catholicism to obtain salvation by. The moment any Catholic stops looking to the works of catholicism as a means to obtain salvation by, and trust Jesus Christ at His word that they are saved, then they can begin to run that race by faith in Jesus Christ in trusting Him and resting in Jesus Christ as their personal Good Shepherd in following Him as His disciple & not as a Church's disciple which only leads to labouring in unbelief, coming short of that rest in Him.

John 8:30 As he spake these words, many believed on him. 31 Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;....36 If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed.

Hebrews 4:1Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it. 2 For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it. 3 For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world....9 There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God. 10 For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his. 11 Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.

We are to be witnesses of the Son in seeking His glory as He is the Good News to man; we are not called to be witnesses of the RCC nor any other church in seeking the glory of that church.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
OK good responses. It will take me awhile to respond. Quickly I joined the rcc as an adult - was raised prot. And the Bible teaches us we are saved by Gods Grace through faith Luther taught salvation through faith alone
OK good responses. It will take me awhile to respond. Quickly I joined the rcc as an adult - was raised prot. And the Bible teaches us we are saved by Gods Grace through faith Luther taught salvation through faith alone