New to Apologetics

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

DarkAngel

Feb 21, 2024
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Country
Singapore
Hi,

I am new to this forum as I am looking for advice and guidance on the subject of Apologetics. I would be much obliged on how I can start as a beginner as what I need to do and work on to ensure I understand how Apologetics works. Where do I start from the beginning. Your advice is much appreciated.

Thank you.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Hi,

I am new to this forum as I am looking for advice and guidance on the subject of Apologetics. I would be much obliged on how I can start as a beginner as what I need to do and work on to ensure I understand how Apologetics works. Where do I start from the beginning. Your advice is much appreciated.

Thank you.

Welcome to the forum.

The first step is to listen to Jesus and become one of his followers. His teaching and preaching is bedrock.

Wick Stick

Sep 21, 2023
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Howdy.
I am new to this forum as I am looking for advice and guidance on the subject of Apologetics. I would be much obliged on how I can start as a beginner as what I need to do and work on to ensure I understand how Apologetics works.
My best advice is "don't start on Apologetics unless you need to." That's just looking for a fight.

Apologetics isn't for beginners. It's for those who have obtained mastery and can defend their positions against criticism. Generally, one doesn't go looking for it... it just becomes a necessary skill as part of your studies or work.

On the Internet, it mostly it seems to be practiced (maybe malpracticed is a better word) by people who think they have obtained mastery but are really just defending traditions handed down to them by someone else. Folks use Google searches and their own logic that they fabricate as-needed. Try not to do that. That's what the New Testament calls "vain strivings."

Where do I start from the beginning. Your advice is much appreciated.
If you insist... pick a field of study.

If your field of study is "the Bible" then you need to narrow it down... a lot. Sir Isaac Newton spent more of his life studying the Bible than he did studying mathematics. He invented calculus but did not obtain mastery of the whole Bible.

You could reasonably master something like... the History of Post-Exile Israel, or... the Interaction between the Ekklesia and Collegia in Paul's Epistles.

If you're picking a book of the Bible, it better be a short one. Jude, Hosea, and Habbakuk are good choices. Genesis, Daniel, and Revelation are not... it will take you literal decades to master them.

Hope that helps.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hi,

Thank you.
Give them a miss and get to know Jesus. Perhaps this doesn't make any sense to you yet therein is the secret handed to all peoples on a plate.

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This may not be true. But I when I think of a dark angel wanting to visit apologetics I am thinking of falling angels wanting to mess with the simplicity of truth...

But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ. - 2 Corinthians 11:3

DarkAngel

Feb 21, 2024
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Country
Singapore
Welcome to the forum.

The first step is to listen to Jesus and become one of his followers. His teaching and preaching is bedrock.
Hi Matthias,

Thank you for your reply. I am a believer and read my bible regularly. Just wanted to know what Apologetics is and to learn it for my own and when needed to speak correctly to others when questions comes my way.

DarkAngel

Feb 21, 2024
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Country
Singapore
Howdy.

My best advice is "don't start on Apologetics unless you need to." That's just looking for a fight.

Apologetics isn't for beginners. It's for those who have obtained mastery and can defend their positions against criticism. Generally, one doesn't go looking for it... it just becomes a necessary skill as part of your studies or work.

On the Internet, it mostly it seems to be practiced (maybe malpracticed is a better word) by people who think they have obtained mastery but are really just defending traditions handed down to them by someone else. Folks use Google searches and their own logic that they fabricate as-needed. Try not to do that. That's what the New Testament calls "vain strivings."

If you insist... pick a field of study.

If your field of study is "the Bible" then you need to narrow it down... a lot. Sir Isaac Newton spent more of his life studying the Bible than he did studying mathematics. He invented calculus but did not obtain mastery of the whole Bible.

You could reasonably master something like... the History of Post-Exile Israel, or... the Interaction between the Ekklesia and Collegia in Paul's Epistles.

If you're picking a book of the Bible, it better be a short one. Jude, Hosea, and Habbakuk are good choices. Genesis, Daniel, and Revelation are not... it will take you literal decades to master them.

Hope that helps.
Hi Wick,

Thank you so much and yes, I agree that it's not for beginners, but I am interested to know. Where I come from, my country practices various eastern faiths from Buddhism, Hinduism to Islam and I do get questions when it comes to Christianity and I want to learn the way to defend what I believe, the recommended you have suggested would suffice and appreciated. I would love to understand my bible more and live the rest of the experts. I am more interested in my bible knowledge and with that have the ability to answer any questions which my friends may ask as I have friends from different faiths. My country is a multi-religious nation. :)

Thank you :)

DarkAngel

Feb 21, 2024
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Country
Singapore
This may not be true. But I when I think of a dark angel wanting to visit apologetics I am thinking of falling angels wanting to mess with the simplicity of truth...

But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ. - 2 Corinthians 11:3
Hi Rocky,

Its just a nickname I used to have when I was gaming on the internet. Apologies if it has offended you :)

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hi Wick,

Thank you so much and yes, I agree that it's not for beginners, but I am interested to know. Where I come from, my country practices various eastern faiths from Buddhism, Hinduism to Islam and I do get questions when it comes to Christianity and I want to learn the way to defend what I believe, the recommended you have suggested would suffice and appreciated. I would love to understand my bible more and live the rest of the experts. I am more interested in my bible knowledge and with that have the ability to answer any questions which my friends may ask as I have friends from different faiths. My country is a multi-religious nation. :)

Thank you :)
Hello DA, The primary point of the scriptures is to reveal the Saviour Jesus and knowing him is what matters because he gives an accurate perspective on the purpose of the scriptures.

One can though, have a thorough cognitive knowledge of the scriptures and not know Jesus. The religious leaders in Jesus day had such a knowledge where they could recite whole books by memory yet they missed its point.....and further, their pride in what they erroneously thought they knew actually enabled them to kill the very Messiah the scriptures spoke of.

Apologetics only has value if one knows the Saviour intimately otherwise it just becomes another religious trip which has no more intrinsic value than collecting stamps.

If you are curious you might check out the ReDiscovering God link in my signature below. The various dialogs engaged will sharpen your knowledge and increase your skills in understanding the scriptures.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Hi Matthias,

Thank you for your reply. I am a believer and read my bible regularly. Just wanted to know what Apologetics is and to learn it for my own and when needed to speak correctly to others when questions comes my way.

As someone who reads the Bible regularly you must be aware that “dark angel” carries the connotation of satanic / demonic.

An apologist who presents himself as satanic / demonic to his audience has unwittingly constructed a barrier before he begins. That’s an ineffective witness.

“Hello, I’m a demon. Please allow me a few minutes of your time so that I may speak with you about the Christian faith” -> you’re done before you begin.

My advice: drop the nickname. It’s ill-suited for the task of being a Christian apologist.

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Pray before engaging anyone.
Ask both the Holy Spirit and Jesus to pray with you. See Romans 8.
The key word is intercessor, part of the English definition is pray.
The primary meaning is like a Laywer.